Royal Honeymoons

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like this is the moment they are leaving for their honeymoon?!

If anyone knows where the royal couples went for their honeymoons ,please tell us and feel free to post pictures.

Prince Charles and late princess Diana of Wales : Meditteranean cruise from
Gibraltar to Egypt
Edward and Sophie: Scotland
Duke and Duchess: Austria
Haakon and MM: NYC
WA and Maxima: Austria ,Argentina,Asia
Frederik and Mary: East Africa
Felipe and Letizia : Spain, Jordan,Thailand
Joachim and Alexandra: New Orleans /US and South America
King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia:Hawaii

Which Duke and Duchess? Andrew and Sarah? Edward and Katharine? Richard and Birgitte? Or Philippe and Mathilde when were Duke and Duchess of Brabant?

Which Duke and Duchess? Andrew and Sarah? Edward and Katharine? Richard and Birgitte? Or Philippe and Mathilde when were Duke and Duchess of Brabant?

The Duke and Duchess of Windsor: King Edward VIII of England and Wallis Simpson

The Duke and Duchess of Kent in the grounds of Himley Hall on December 6, 1934

I didn’t realise that Charles and Diana also spent part of their honeymoon at “Provender” beach house on Windermere Island in the Bahamas.

(They were photographed on the beach with Penny and Norton Brabourne the following year when Diana was pregnant with William. “Provender” is a Brabourne property.)

Here’s a link to the website of the house, lots of photos and information.

https://provender-bahamas.com/index.html

https://provender-bahamas.com/the-house.html

I didn’t realise that Charles and Diana also spent part of their honeymoon at “Provender” beach house on Windermere Island in the Bahamas.

(They were photographed on the beach with Penny and Norton Brabourne the following year when Diana was pregnant with William. “Provender” is a Brabourne property.)

Here’s a link to the website of the house, lots of photos and information.

https://provender-bahamas.com/index.html

https://provender-bahamas.com/the-house.html

That was not on their honeymoon.. they went there a few months after their marriage, for a holiday.

That was not on their honeymoon.. they went there a few months after their marriage, for a holiday.

Yes, Charles went to the island eights times … but the claim on the website is that he and Diana went there on their honeymoon, that it was a “secret hideaway”.

Last edited:
Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip at Broadlands in 1947

Yes, Charles went to the island eights times … but the claim on the website is that he and Diana went there on their honeymoon, that it was a “secret hideaway”.

I doubt it. They were in the Mediterranean and the press followed them as much as they could. There were pics of Brittania, sailing there and they visited Egypt.

I doubt it. They were in the Mediterranean and the press followed them as much as they could. There were pics of Brittania, sailing there and they visited Egypt.

I think it’s true, the Brabourne’s wouldn’t claim it if it wasn’t.

And as Charles and Diana had such a long honeymoon, I think it was three months, a lot of it wouldn’t have been covered by the press.

I’ve not seen photos from their time in the Greek islands that they’re said to have sailed, really only Gibralter and the reports of dining with the Sadats. And the photocall at Balmoral.

No pictures of their first stop at Broadlands, the main property of the Brabourne’s, either.

Apparently Charles wanted to sail the Caribbean in Britannia, with the ship then going on to Australia for The Queen to make use of, but the government said that involved too much cost, hence the Mediterranean was substituted.

They spent about 3 weeks on Brittania, and then went to Balmoral for another few weeks.

The world media were tracking Charles and Diana all during their Mediterranean honeymoon.

The Med is pretty far from the Bahamas, in the Atlantic.

I cannot imagine that they would have "lost" the world's most famous newlyweds for the amount of time it would have taken for the Brittania to make a secret detour to the Bahamas!:whistling:

The world media were tracking Charles and Diana all during their Mediterranean honeymoon.

The Med is pretty far from the Bahamas, in the Atlantic.

I cannot imagine that they would have "lost" the world's most famous newlyweds for the amount of time it would have taken for the Brittania to make a secret detour to the Bahamas!:whistling:

They didn’t go to Windermere Island on the Britannia … the government didn’t like the cost involved, see above where I noted that … but Charles must love the place to have gone so many times, apart from the home belonging to relatives.

This little slip of land has been under the general public’s radar, but even the Duchess of Kent holidayed there … and other relatives of the Royals built homes there, the Mountbattens etc.

Last edited:
sorry, you dont think they had a honeymoon of about 6 or 8 weeks?

No, as I posted above, more like twelve weeks … I remember there were critical newspaper reports at the time about the length of time they took. And after learning years later that they hardly knew each other before wedding, perhaps that was a good idea.

I can't remember criticism. They spent several weeks at Balmoral, which I dont think Diana enjoyed, but it wasnt exactly honeymooning...Im not sure exaclty how long they stayed there but I think that they were preparing for their first tour in Wales, which happened in November or December and probalby visiting London to see if their apartment was ready.

Last edited:
They didn’t go to Windermere Island on the Britannia … the government didn’t like the cost involved, see above where I noted that … but Charles must love the place to have gone so many times, apart from the home belonging to relatives.

This little slip of land has been under the general public’s radar, but even the Duchess of Kent holidayed there … and other relatives of the Royals built homes there, the Mountbattens etc.

When did they go? It must have been when they were in Balmoral, and then they would have to go to Lonodon and fly to the bahamas, from there. I find it hard to beleive that the Press who were eager to get stories of them wouldn't find out that they had made even a short trip to the Bahamas. The press were watching Balmoral, while they were there because Diana was crazily popular and the public wanted stories about her.

Victoria, Princess Royal and Prince Friedrich of Prussia spent their honeymoon at Windsor Castle in England.

Queen Victoria’s haemophilic son Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany, and his bride Princess Helena (of Waldeck and Pyrmont) married at Windsor in late April 1882 and had a simple honeymoon at Claremont House, which had been given to them as their future home by Queen Victoria. The honeymoon was marred by tragedy though as Helena’s sister, Marie (married to Prince Wilhelm, later King, of Württemberg) who had been unable to attend the wedding due to an advanced state of pregnancy, gave birth to a stillborn daughter and she herself later died of complications. As a result, Helen was required to enter a period of mourning, sad for a newly-wed.

Of course Claremont House in Surrey near Esher, had had many distinguished tenants in its time, including it being the matrimonial home of George IV’s only daughter Charlotte and her husband, Queen Victoria’s beloved uncle Leopold. Charlotte had died there, giving birth to a stillborn son.

Last edited:
Probably nearly as lacking cheer as the honeymoon of Henry of Gloucester and Alice. Alice's father died less then 3 weeks before her wedding. The wedding originally planned to be at Westminster was moved to the private chapel at Buckingham palace due to the bride's mourning.

The couple spent their honeymoon at Boughton House, which is owned by the Duke of Buccleuch. Henry had been close to the family prior to marriage to Alice. Her second eldest brother William was Henry's best friend and introduced the couple (was godfather to his nephew Prince William of Gloucester).

https://www.boughtonhouse.co.uk/

A short video of the couple on a hunt during their honeymoon.

Yes, and of course the groom’s father, King George V, was not at all well either. He was to die less than three months after the wedding, in January 1936, precipitating a certain crisis later that year.

Rather a skittish horse the Duchess is riding. She doesn’t look altogether comfortable!

Last edited:
I always thought it was unfair to Sarah and Andrew to have a skimpy 5 day honeymoon on HMY Britannia. Yes, it was a time of economic austerity, but only 5 days?

Back
Top Bottom