Royal Honeymoons

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to a documentary Sonja and Haarald went camping in Norway

I've heard both that they spent their honeymoons in the Norwegian mountains, and I've heard that it was a Mexico and South America trip. Does anyone know for certain? Or was it some combination of the two?

I've heard both that they spent their honeymoons in the Norwegian mountains, and I've heard that it was a Mexico and South America trip. Does anyone know for certain? Or was it some combination of the two?

On the documentary series 'A Royal Family' Sonja said that they went up in the mountains the day after the wedding after having breakfast with the wedding guests. Maybe they went overseas a few weeks or months later when they could get away for a longer time??

Filipe and Letizia: Spain
Joachim and Marie: Canada (if i'm not mistaken)

that's right, felipe and letizia visited cuenca and albarracin in spain, and then went to jordan (petra and aqaba).

i found this article of haakon and mette marit saying they said they were going to denmark for their honeymoon but didn't in the end. netty royal reports it was Montauk, Long Island and new york. Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Google News Archive Search
Royal News: September 2001

i read frederik and mary went "somewhere between the equator and the tropic of capricorn in africa". some people speculated on tanzania.

willem-alexander and maxima chose switzerland (st moritz, to do some skiing) where they stood at freddy heineken's villa. queen beatrix and claus went to mexico for theirs.

rainier and grace went on the cruise "Deo Juvante II" with stops in Villegranche, Spain, and Corsica.

charles and camilla visited birkhall in scotland. edward and sophie went to balmoral. charles and diana went on the royal yatch britannia to a cruise over the mediterranean.

Last edited:
I know Prince Andrew & Sarah Ferguson went to the Azores.

Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden & Prince Daniel in Tahiti.

Princess Caroline
1978 - marriage to Philippe Junot, honeymooon in Tahiti
1983 - marriage to Stephano Casiraghi, honeymoon in St. Moritz
1999 - marriage to Ernst of Hanover, honeymoon in St. Moritz

Princess Stephanie
1995 - marriage to Daniel Ducruet, honeymoon ??
2003 - marriage to Adans Lopez Peres, honeymoon with the circus Adans worked for.

According to the portuguese magazine VIP Victoria and Daniel are spending their honeymoon in Bora Bora :in_love: :in_love: :in_love:

According to the portuguese magazine VIP Victoria and Daniel are spending their honeymoon in Bora Bora :in_love: :in_love: :in_love:

They sailed about 10 days at Bora Bora and left from there, according to a rumour, to USA last week. They told to Aftonbladet that they will return to Sweden in August.

If would really be funny if one of the royal couples getting married played a joke on all those reporters who wouldn't leave them alone. One day it will happen. Send the reporters on wild goose chases all over the world. It would be funny if the reporter thought he or she was where the royal couple was and then someone popped out of nowhere and said "Got you." Got you is an American term for someone getting caught at something they shouldn't be doing. I can imagine that the reporter would be fuming but it would be funny.

If would really be funny if one of the royal couples getting married played a joke on all those reporters who wouldn't leave them alone.
LOL. News just broke today that then-Crown Prince Harald and Crown Princess Sonja traveled on passports with false names to prevent the media from figuring out where they were going on their honeymoon. The media thought they were on the royal yacht headed to Mexico, when, in fact, they flew to Hawaii.

Link

Princess Alice of Albany and Prince Alexander of Teck spent their honeymoon at Brocket Hall, near Hatfield, Hertfordshire, England.

George Lascelles, Earl of Harewood and Countess Marion went to Venice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tZPEaE_moY

Princess Alice of Albany and Prince Alexander of Teck spent the first part of their honeymoon at Brocket Hall, which was lent to them by Lord Mountstephen. Brocket Hall was in Welwyn in Hertfordshire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Marengo
Maxima and WA also went to New Zealand and stayed at Huka Lodge, where coinsidently Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh were staying as well :)

what a coincidence. i guess if it's good for QE then it's the place to go! i guess they met them to greet them and congratulate them after the wedding. how exciting yet daunting must it have been for maxima to meet the queen during her honeymoon! although by that point she had already been to several high profile royal events, including her own wedding, so i assume she knew everything she had to know protocol-wise.

The Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima made a honeymoon in three stages:
- to Sankt Moritz in Switzerland, where the couple stayed at the châlet of "uncle Freddie" (Alfred Heineken)
- to Argentina, with visits to the family and to the immense countryside and nature
- to New Zealand (Huka Lodge), apparently having met the British royal couple

A true royal honeymoon, I would say... ;)

Does anyone know where Guillaume and Stephanie went?

Last edited:
Does anyone know where Guillaume and Stephanie went?

It is was never made public. Stephanie said that the location of the honeymoon was a surprise for her.

The Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima made a honeymoon in three stages:
- to Sankt Moritz in Switzerland, where the couple stayed at the châlet of "uncle Freddie" (Alfred Heineken)
- to Argentina, with visits to the family and to the immense countryside and nature
- to New Zealand (Huka Lodge), apparently having met the British royal couple

A true royal honeymoon, I would say... ;)

...And according to this article they made a cruise an a yacht along the coast of Thailand too...
'Kroonprins had niet op jacht mogen meevaren' | Inhuldiging Willem-Alexander | de Volkskrant
https://translate.google.hu/transla...-op-jacht-mogen-meevaren~a1048146/&edit-text=

The Princes of Asturias initiated their honeymoon in Cuenca, did a small tour for Spain before travelling to Petra. After Cuenca they were in Sos del Rey Católico, Zaragoza and San Sebastian.
There was never known exactly where they were after Jordan, but it is believed that they were in Asia and probably United States.

According to this article they were also in Fiji, in Wakaya Club and Spa (and later in 2012 again with their daugthers):

Desvelado el secreto de las vacaciones de los príncipes: Felipe y Letizia han estado en las islas Fidji, repitiendo la visita de su luna de miel
https://translate.google.hu/transla...pe-Letizia-Fidji_0_1901809823.html&edit-text=

Not bad...: Home | Wakaya Club & Spa

places that felipe and letizia have visited, according to the press, on their honeymoon (apart from spain):

india
thailand
fiji
greece
jordan
italy
mexico

according to the Fiji Times they spent a week at a very exclusive and private club in Fiji, at the The Wakaya Club.

according to this article, king juan carlos asked his friend Corinna zu Sayn-Wittgenstein to arrange the May 2004 honeymoon trip of Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia to Jordan, Thailand, and Fiji.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2013/10/crisis-spain-royalty-abdication

carl philip and sofia of sweden honeymooned in fiji apparently:

Perdidos en el paraíso de Fiyi, el elegido por Carlos Felipe y Sofia de Suecia

they stayed in Lauthala Island, belonging to Dietrich Mateschitz.

Last edited by a moderator:
In 1893 Princes Mary of Teck and Prince George, Duke of York embarked for their honeymoon at Sandringham. I find this an interesting situation considering that Mary's first husband-to-be, Prince Albert Victor had died there.

In 1893 Princes Mary of Teck and Prince George, Duke of York embarked for their honeymoon at Sandringham. I find this an interesting situation considering that Mary's first husband-to-be, Prince Albert Victor had died there.

That IS an interesting and hilarious bit of info! :rolleyes::eek::sly:

Back
Top Bottom