The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Royal Weddings General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-29-2013, 11:50 PM
Royal Highness

Royal families who MUST marry nobility/royalty

I know of the Imperial family of Brazil and how the men are required to marry royal women or they loose their spot in the line of succession.

Are their other families that have this rule? Today we see the trend of royals marrying fellow blue blood dying as more and more commits marry into royal families, with that being said, are their others like Brazil?

Including non reigning families...

Old 01-30-2013, 02:07 AM
Gentry

Seems like none of the reigning European royal families hold to this anymore. Seems like it's only a concern among certain deposed dynasties (mostly German ones). Even the usually conservative Catholic monarchies like Lichtenstein allow commoner marriages without reservation these days.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

The only couple I can think of that have any problems at all related to rules about who royals can marry is Gustav, the Hereditary Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and Carina Axxelsson.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:04 AM
Aristocracy

i think for a lot of European nobility its not a rule. but they run in the same circles go to the same schools. attend the same sporting and social functions in their various countries and around the continent .a lot of them seem to end up working in the same industries banking art etc. so its not surprising many of them find a spouse in those circles.but i don't think its intentional or mandatory
Old 01-30-2013, 03:25 AM
Courtier

he Duke of Wurrtemberg required it for his heir, Heriditary Duke Friedrich, who married Princess Marie if Wied. However his other son was allowed to marry a commoner and I'm pretty sure he didn't need to give up his position.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
The only couple I can think of that have any problems at all related to rules about who royals can marry is Gustav, the Hereditary Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and Carina Axxelsson.
Actually, I believe the problem with that will is that it states that Gustav's bride must be Aryan. (highlight to read). You can guess what era that will was written in when you hear that, can't you? Carina is part Latina. They've been trying to fight that part in court.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK View Post

Actually, I believe the problem with that will is that it states that Gustav's bride must be Aryan. (highlight to read). You can guess what era that will was written in when you hear that, can't you? Carina is part Latina. They've been trying to fight that part in court.
I really hope they win. It should be obvious to any court how unreasonable a requirement that is.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

His grandfather was, obviously, an Nazi. The family should have adjudicated this many years ago.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:50 PM
Serene Highness

Please see the specific thread on this topic, but from what I remember, even if the Aryan-clause wasn't in it, there is also a stipulation that she would have to be of noble birth and protestant..
They can marry anytime they want, but he would loose his inheritance..
Old 01-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Serene Highness

Hey, I'm from Brazil. Well, not only the princes, but princesses are also required to marry equally, in order to keep their succession rights.

The last time members of the Imperial Family marry equally was in 1981, when Prince Antônio married Princess Christine of Ligne, and his sister, Princess Eleonora, married Christine's brother, Michel (now, The Prince of Ligne), both marriages with issue.

Now, the younger generation of Royals are in a marriageable age. Their Prince Antonio and Princess Christine's children: Princess Amelia (29), Prince Rafael (27) and Princess Maria Gabriela (24). The oldest siblig, Prince Pedro Luiz, has died in 2009, aged 26, he was living in Luxembourg, as guest of Grand Duke Henri, and was looking for a royal wife.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:42 PM
Gentry

It used to be the case in a lot of German royal families, which is why the Tecks, Battenbergs etc weren't regarded as completely royal as they were descended from morganatic marriages due to one spouse "only" being noble and not royal. The same with the Habsburgs: Frans Ferdinand's marriage was morganatic as his wife was a countess rather than a royal. I don't know how many it still applies to, though. It all seems slightly pointless when there's no longer a throne to succeed to anyway.