Royal Bridesmaids

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Every wedding I've ever been to either as a guest or a member of the bridal party, the bridesmaids were young adults or grown adults. Basically age 16 and up. When my best friend got married, her bridesmaids were myself, my sister, her friend, her friend's sister and her fiance's sister. She's an only child, so everyone that made up the bridal party were his side of the family or her friends. The flower girls were her two young cousins (one was 11 the other was 13) and the ring bearer was Sam's (her fiance) nephew.

I couldn't imagine having children much younger than them actually being bridesmaids or groomsmen or even having a heavy role in the wedding.

Every wedding I've ever been to either as a guest or a member of the bridal party, the bridesmaids were young adults or grown adults. Basically age 16 and up. When my best friend got married, her bridesmaids were myself, my sister, her friend, her friend's sister and her fiance's sister. She's an only child, so everyone that made up the bridal party were his side of the family or her friends. The flower girls were her two young cousins (one was 11 the other was 13) and the ring bearer was Sam's (her fiance) nephew.

I couldn't imagine having children much younger than them actually being bridesmaids or groomsmen or even having a heavy role in the wedding.

Same here, the only children I see at weddings are Flower Girls and Page Boys.

I hated the girls' dresses at V&D's wedding. They looked like sacks.

I have a friend who had her niece who was 8 or 9 at the time. as a junior bride's maid. She did fine but she learned the secret that we women know all too well. Pantyhose are very uncomfortable LOL.

Why weren't you fond of the girls?

The dresses were so...I don't know a good word for it...I think a bit boring, Too white with no details.

I really liked the little pageboys at Victoria's & Daniel's wedding.
Wasn't really fond of the girls though.

I`m agree with you cdm, think they was a bit borring...Should be some details on them...The pageboys was really cute:)

Hello - does anyone know how many times Princess Ann of Great Britain has been a bridesmaid?
Mevrouw

I never saw adult bridesmaids on a German wedding. Normally there are flowergirls and flowerboys aged 2 to 11. Older Kids and adults aren't bridesmaids. I think this is a tradition in English speaking countries, as I only know it from movies or weddings in the UK or USA.

I know Anne-Marie and Sofia both had several adult bridesmaids in their weddings, so it must be a tradition in Greece as well. I think Benedikte and Margrethe might have had adult bridesmaids as well based on some photos I've seen, but not very many (I think there were 2 for Margrethe and 3 for Benedikte).

One aspect of Victoria's wedding that i didnt like was the outfits for the bridesmaids and flowergirls - dont think they were that memorable and although they matched Victoria's simple gown they just were abit boring. Think it would have been nice to have a little colour - a pale pink sash round them or something. they also were not the best fitted on the young girls. someone above described them as sacks and that is what they looked like abit. The pathetic posy of flowers was slo disappointing really think they could have carried something more substantial.

Hello - does anyone know how many times Princess Ann of Great Britain has been a bridesmaid?
Mevrouw

Twice I think - at Queen Anne- Marie of Greece and her aunt, Princess Margaret of Great Britian.:flowers:

I think small children add an air of innocence and charm to a wedding party but it CAN be tricky...as someone pointed out the younger they are, the less likely that they will be able to attend the bride properly.

I went to one wedding where one little pageboy freaked out in the vestibule of the church just before the bridal procession began...he started sobbing hysterically for his mommy and refused to walk down the aisle!:ohmy:

However, I would much rather have young children as my attendants than adults...I have been a bridesmaid countless times and it was NEVER fun...all the hassles over getting everyone fitted, about hairstyles, shoes etc. :bang: Waay too much stress.

For the record I think EVERYTHING about Victoria's wedding was perfect..including her little bridesmaids. I was enchanted by their simple white dresses that seemed to emphasize youth and purity.

LOVED it!!

I think very small children as wedding attendants is never a good idea, however cute they may look in the photos, because they only have very short concentration spans so will get bored and fractious during long services. Look at the impish behaviour of Prince William at Prince Andrew's wedding in 1986.

I think very small children as wedding attendants is never a good idea, however cute they may look in the photos, because they only have very short concentration spans so will get bored and fractious during long services. Look at the impish behaviour of Prince William at Prince Andrew's wedding in 1986.

Infanta Elena and Jaime Marchialar's son comes to mind when he was a page at his Uncle Felipe's wedding.;)

The above examples are true, but in the case of CP Victoria the children behaved flawlessly. They were picture perfect, like the entire wedding.:flowers: Victoria was so pleased with them that when the wedding cake was cut, she insisted that her little attendants be served before all the other guests. :p

As for little William, his antics at the York wedding didn't bother me a bit...they gave that very grand event a more personal "family" feel.

I loved it, and it probably amused Andrew and Sarah too!

Twice I think - at Queen Anne- Marie of Greece and her aunt, Princess Margaret of Great Britian.:flowers:

Princess Anne was also a bridesmaid at the wedding of Princess Alexandra of Kent.

I had no adult bridesmaids at my own wedding. I had a matron of honor and three under 10s. I was married in England and it seems (seemed) to be a tradition there. That was some 38 years ago and I'm sure the weddings there are now the sort of "anything goes" weddings that we now have here in the states.

The above examples are true, but in the case of CP Victoria the children behaved flawlessly. They were picture perfect, like the entire wedding.:flowers: Victoria was so pleased with them that when the wedding cake was cut, she insisted that her little attendants be served before all the other guests. :p

Bravo Victoria!:clap:

I don´t like adult bridesmaids. I think it´s a question of what one is used to.
But I LOVE page boys and flower girls. In this fashion, the best for me were at Prince Felipe and Letizia´s wedding (from a Goya painting), William and Kate´s, and also the little ones at Nicholas and Tatiana´s wedding in Spetsos.

Is this a British thing? Because I have never heard or seen little girls being called "bridesmaids" before until I looked at English weddings. Only little girls normally in a wedding is the flower girl. And the youngest boy is the ring bearer.

My favorites are Kates and Victorias.

My least are Autumn,Letizia,Tatiana,Diana,Mary and Mathilde.Number one being Tatiana.

My favs are:
CP Letizia= the color(s) & the "theme"
P Kate= richness of fabric, simplicity of details
CP Victoria=fabric, simplicity, although I DO think that a bit of color accent would have been even better
P Martha Louise= I thought they were adorable.
Infanta Cristina of Spain= even though I'm not fond of red & white for weddings, I thought the symbolism & overall looks were very good
...same goes for CP Maxima & CP Mathilde

Lady Sarah Chatto= different, fresh, lovely, BUT I imagine there aren't too many adult women who could pull off white & in that fabric ;)

I must give honorable mention to Marie-Chantal b/c I thought the color was lovely & summery, just seemed to be "missing something" and I also thought that Queen Elizabeth had lovely BM dresses and CP Mary of Denmark= until recently, I absolutely cringed @ those dresses, but after seeing the color in HD pics AND seeing the dresses w/out the jackets, they truly were lovely!

Is this a British thing? Because I have never heard or seen little girls being called "bridesmaids" before until I looked at English weddings. Only little girls normally in a wedding is the flower girl. And the youngest boy is the ring bearer.

I'm British, and I'd never heard of flowergirls until relatively recently - anyone attending the bride was a bridesmaid, unless it was a small boy, in which case he was a pageboy. If the bridesmaid was married, she was a Matron of Honour (horrid title!) I may be wrong (ducks below the parapet!) but I think the 'flowergirl' thing has come from across the pond in recent(ish) years.

Hi Cath, I used to live up the river from you in Burton. Loved my time in the area. I was married there and had 3 under 10s as my attendants. It was a lovely time. Nothing horrid about "matron." It just means ruler of the household.

Hi Cath, I used to live up the river from you in Burton. Loved my time in the area. I was married there and had 3 under 10s as my attendants. It was a lovely time. Nothing horrid about "matron." It just means ruler of the household.

Ah, Burton - lovely beer!
But were your under 10s called bridesmaids or flowergirls? And if they were flowergirls, when were you married (if you don't mind my asking!)? My point was that calling young bridesmaids flowergirls seems to me to be quite a recent thing, and possibly an American one?
I know there's nothing actually horrid about 'matron' - it just conjures up unfortunate associations ('matronly', etc).

I will say that Grace and Eliza did very good with their jobs. They behaved well walking down the aisle while at the same time looking cute. And I think Grace was just fine on the balcony.

Back
Top Bottom