The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've noticed a lot of royal weddings have children in the wedding party. Usually it's supposed to be the bridesmaids, flower girl, and ring bearer. I would like to know why children are so apart of these royal weddings.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
I've noticed a lot of royal weddings have children in the wedding party. Usually it's supposed to be the bridesmaids, flower girl, and ring bearer. I would like to know why children are so apart of these royal weddings.
I'm afraid I don't know why or when children started to form part of the bridal party, but I'm quite sure that bridesmaids do need to be older, in order to carry out their duties properly. When Prince Andrew married Sarah Ferguson, as sweet as the bridesmaids may well have looked, they were useless at arranging the bride's dress. On the two occassions (on entrance and at the exit) the bride's train needed adjusting as it was veering towards the side: in the first, the dress designer ran across the aisle to sort it out and in the second, Sarah had to ask a Westminster Abbey official to correct the problem. Both occassions should have been dealt with effortlessly by the bridesmaids had they been old enough to know or been told what to do.

I myself have the dubious pleasure of having my two young neices act as flower girls at my forthcoming civil partnership, though I have no idea exactly what I'm expecting them to do apart from look vaguely angelic! We have asked guests (most of whom have children) not to bring their kids because we'd end up with more children than adults!

Old 05-13-2010, 12:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I'm afraid I don't know why or when children started to form part of the bridal party, but I'm quite sure that bridesmaids do need to be older, in order to carry out their duties properly. When Prince Andrew married Sarah Ferguson, as sweet as the bridesmaids may well have looked, they were useless at arranging the bride's dress. On the two occassions (on entrance and at the exit) the bride's train needed adjusting as it was veering towards the side: in the first, the dress designer ran across the aisle to sort it out and in the second, Sarah had to ask a Westminster Abbey official to correct the problem. Both occassions should have been dealt with effortlessly by the bridesmaids had they been old enough to know or been told what to do.

I myself have the dubious pleasure of having my two young neices act as flower girls at my forthcoming civil partnership, though I have no idea exactly what I'm expecting them to do apart from look vaguely angelic! We have asked guests (most of whom have children) not to bring their kids because we'd end up with more children than adults!
LoL. If you ask me they're useless like that. They should just have a seat and watch the wedding like the rest of the guests. I agree, too many children at a wedding can become a bit annoying.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:11 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Small children are cute at weddings, but I feel for them because they can get so bored at long ceremonies.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
Small children are cute at weddings, but I feel for them because they can get so bored at long ceremonies.
I agree. One of my friends who had many young nieces and nephews arranged for the children to walk up the aisle and then they were led away through a side door to an adjacent room with sitters for most of her wedding Mass. They returned when the couple said their vows and led the group back down the aisle at the end of the wedding.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Courtier

I think it depends on the country's tradition?
In Belgium it are always children (or I haven't been at a wedding with adult bridesmaids)
Old 06-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
I agree with you.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
I think it depends on the country's tradition?
In Belgium it are always children (or I haven't been at a wedding with adult bridesmaids)
Yes, I haven't been at a wedding with adult bridesmaids either, only with young flowergirls/boys.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Courtier

I really liked the little pageboys at Victoria's & Daniel's wedding.
Wasn't really fond of the girls though.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Why weren't you fond of the girls?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Every wedding I've ever been to either as a guest or a member of the bridal party, the bridesmaids were young adults or grown adults. Basically age 16 and up. When my best friend got married, her bridesmaids were myself, my sister, her friend, her friend's sister and her fiance's sister. She's an only child, so everyone that made up the bridal party were his side of the family or her friends. The flower girls were her two young cousins (one was 11 the other was 13) and the ring bearer was Sam's (her fiance) nephew.

I couldn't imagine having children much younger than them actually being bridesmaids or groomsmen or even having a heavy role in the wedding.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 06-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Every wedding I've ever been to either as a guest or a member of the bridal party, the bridesmaids were young adults or grown adults. Basically age 16 and up. When my best friend got married, her bridesmaids were myself, my sister, her friend, her friend's sister and her fiance's sister. She's an only child, so everyone that made up the bridal party were his side of the family or her friends. The flower girls were her two young cousins (one was 11 the other was 13) and the ring bearer was Sam's (her fiance) nephew.

I couldn't imagine having children much younger than them actually being bridesmaids or groomsmen or even having a heavy role in the wedding.
Same here, the only children I see at weddings are Flower Girls and Page Boys.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I hated the girls' dresses at V&D's wedding. They looked like sacks.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Heir Apparent

I have a friend who had her niece who was 8 or 9 at the time. as a junior bride's maid. She did fine but she learned the secret that we women know all too well. Pantyhose are very uncomfortable LOL.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Why weren't you fond of the girls?
The dresses were so...I don't know a good word for it...I think a bit boring, Too white with no details.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I`m agree with you cdm, think they was a bit borring...Should be some details on them...The pageboys was really cute
Old 06-21-2010, 11:11 PM

Hello - does anyone know how many times Princess Ann of Great Britain has been a bridesmaid?
Mevrouw
Old 06-22-2010, 06:03 AM
Aristocracy

I never saw adult bridesmaids on a German wedding. Normally there are flowergirls and flowerboys aged 2 to 11. Older Kids and adults aren't bridesmaids. I think this is a tradition in English speaking countries, as I only know it from movies or weddings in the UK or USA.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:31 AM
Courtier

I know Anne-Marie and Sofia both had several adult bridesmaids in their weddings, so it must be a tradition in Greece as well. I think Benedikte and Margrethe might have had adult bridesmaids as well based on some photos I've seen, but not very many (I think there were 2 for Margrethe and 3 for Benedikte).
Old 06-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

One aspect of Victoria's wedding that i didnt like was the outfits for the bridesmaids and flowergirls - dont think they were that memorable and although they matched Victoria's simple gown they just were abit boring. Think it would have been nice to have a little colour - a pale pink sash round them or something. they also were not the best fitted on the young girls. someone above described them as sacks and that is what they looked like abit. The pathetic posy of flowers was slo disappointing really think they could have carried something more substantial.

Tags
bridesmaid, fashion, royal weddings