The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Royal Weddings General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Royal brides who wept during their wedding ceremonies

I am always moved when I see photos of these very fortunate and beautiful young women unable to contain their emotions during their great, televised weddings.

The ones I can remember that cried are Princess Grace, Queen Fabiola, Princess Mathilde, and Princess Maxima and Princess Martha-Louise of Norway.

Any others? Does anyone have any photos? Thanks-I LOVE these threads! Keep it up!

Old 10-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Aristocracy

As you can see in her "Wedding Threat" [King Albert II & Queen Paola of Belgium 1959 ] Queen Paola dashed away some tears on her wedding.
[o/t Just as she did on the weddings of her children]

Old 10-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

I think most of them did. The only one of the European princesses who I can't remember if she cried was Princess Letizia. (But I'm pretty sure she did).

Mary and Frederik cried during their wedding- Frederik crying at seeing Mary walk down the aisle was so sweet If I remember correctly, there was also a hymn sung/played that was special to Mary's beloved and departed mother that made Mary cry. I'll have to see.

Mathilde also cried. The picture of her dabbing her eyes at the altar, with Phillipe holding her hand, is (I think) one the best of the wedding.

Máxima cried because her parents couldn't be there.

Mette-Marit also cried.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Aristocracy

Did Princess Claire cry during her wedding??? I don't know for sure, I think she did.
I do know Laurent did, but he was the groom so that doesn't count in this topic I guess?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Aristocracy

I think everybody cried at Laurent and Claire's wedding. Apparently the homily was very moving. It referenced their majesties (one of my favorite pictures of the king and queen is the photo of the queen tearing up and the king is holding her hand), as well as the Princess' parents, Phillippe and Mathilde, Astrid and Lorenz and Princess Claire's sister and brother-in-law. Wasn't a dry eye in the church!!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
As you can see in her "Wedding Threat" [King Albert II & Queen Paola of Belgium 1959 ] Queen Paola dashed away some tears on her wedding.
[o/t Just as she did on the weddings of her children]

Wow...how did I miss this? Thanks!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK View Post
I think most of them did. The only one of the European princesses who I can't remember if she cried was Princess Letizia. (But I'm pretty sure she did).

Mary and Frederik cried during their wedding- Frederik crying at seeing Mary walk down the aisle was so sweet If I remember correctly, there was also a hymn sung/played that was special to Mary's beloved and departed mother that made Mary cry. I'll have to see.

Mathilde also cried. The picture of her dabbing her eyes at the altar, with Phillipe holding her hand, is (I think) one the best of the wedding.

Mette-Marit also cried.

I didn't see Frederik and Mary's wedding, but it sounds beautiful. As for Mette-Marit, all I read in the L.A. Times about her crying was during a pre-wedding press conference when they were badgering her about her past, and it almost made ME cry.

I can totally understand why she would cry at her wedding, she came such a long way!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
I think everybody cried at Laurent and Claire's wedding. Apparently the homily was very moving. It referenced their majesties (one of my favorite pictures of the king and queen is the photo of the queen tearing up and the king is holding her hand), as well as the Princess' parents, Phillippe and Mathilde, Astrid and Lorenz and Princess Claire's sister and brother-in-law. Wasn't a dry eye in the church!!

Now that is one wedding I would LOVE to see a video of. It sounded SO emotional...and I know Laurent gets a lot of bad press and has done some crazy things in the past, but he got it COMPLETELY right with his choice of a wife. I think Claire is perfect for him.

Funny how the Belgian RF seems, for the most part, to make very happy and long lasting marriages. Have they ever had a divorce, I wonder?
Old 10-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Did Princess Claire cry during her wedding??? I don't know for sure, I think she did.
I do know Laurent did, but he was the groom so that doesn't count in this topic I guess?
I saw a photo of Claire wiping away Laurent's tears, but she wasn't weeping herself. It was very sweet.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post

At the moment Father Gilbert compared Laurent in his sermon with the biblical lost son [ see thread :Prince Laurent of Belgium & Claire Coombs 2003 ; post #31] there wasn't a dry eye in church yes. There is also a beautifull photo of the King blowing his nose in a big white handkerchief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
I saw a photo of Claire wiping away Laurent's tears, but she wasn't weeping herself. It was very sweet.

I vague remember a photo of Claire with a handkerchief near he own face, but it is possible that she was only blowing her nose, or that I mixed it up with the one you mention here. I cant find the picture in the wedding thread and my old computer is crashed so I can't search for it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post

Funny how the Belgian RF seems, for the most part, to make very happy and long lasting marriages. Have they ever had a divorce, I wonder?

No, they never had a divorce. King Albert and Queen Paola had problems in their marriage and almost divorced, the rumours say. But divorce is also very much in conflict with the strong Catholic principles of the Belgian dynasty.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Gentry

Frederik:

http://i48.tinypic.com/21d0m1j.jpg

Mary:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2h4l11j.jpg

Old 02-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Royal Highness

Queen Sofia also cried at her wedding
Old 02-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK View Post
The Spanish wedding was critizised for being cold and business-like, neither of them cried (only the heavens opened up with heavy rain) and they didnt even kiss.

Quote:

Mette-Marit also cried.
Both weddings were very romantic and emotional. Maxima cried when she listened to the Tango music, very personal, not only because of the missing parents. Haakon did the most personal and emotional wedding speech of all, every bride would have cried I guess
Old 02-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Courtier

What did Haakon say?
Old 02-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
What did Haakon say?
You can read the English translation of his speech here

My favorite part of the speech would be..
Quote:
I don’t think I’ve ever been so angry with anyone as with you.
I don’t think I’ve ever been so weak or so strong as when I’ve been together with you.
I don’t think I’ve ever been so filled with love as when I am together with you.
No wonder MM cried!
Old 02-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Courtier

Thank you.

Very beautiful!
Old 02-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I don’t think I’ve ever been so angry with anyone as with you.
So angry?
Old 02-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Courtier

I think that he is reciting a poem.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

The anger he's talking about is part of his feelings, he has felt angry with her, weak with her as well as strong, filled with love. Basically, he's stating the range of emotions he has experienced with her. And, that's why I like this speech so much, because don't we all feel this way for our loved ones, from deep love to annoyance, from anger to forgiveness. Truly very personal and heartfelt.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Aristocracy

why is prince laurent compared to the prodigal son???been wondering why he was crying so much in the pictures...now I know the answer

Tags
bride, emotions, royal weddings, tears