Royal Brides Who Wept at Their Wedding

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonmaiden23

Imperial Majesty
City
Los Angeles
Country
United States
I am always moved when I see photos of these very fortunate and beautiful young women unable to contain their emotions during their great, televised weddings.

The ones I can remember that cried are Princess Grace, Queen Fabiola, Princess Mathilde, and Princess Maxima and Princess Martha-Louise of Norway.

Any others? Does anyone have any photos? Thanks-I LOVE these threads! Keep it up!

Last edited:
I think most of them did. The only one of the European princesses who I can't remember if she cried was Princess Letizia. (But I'm pretty sure she did).

Mary and Frederik cried during their wedding- Frederik crying at seeing Mary walk down the aisle was so sweet :wub: If I remember correctly, there was also a hymn sung/played that was special to Mary's beloved and departed mother that made Mary cry. I'll have to see.

Mathilde also cried. The picture of her dabbing her eyes at the altar, with Phillipe holding her hand, is (I think) one the best of the wedding.

Máxima cried because her parents couldn't be there.

Mette-Marit also cried.

Did Princess Claire cry during her wedding??? I don't know for sure, I think she did.
I do know Laurent did, but he was the groom so that doesn't count in this topic I guess? :):)

I think everybody cried at Laurent and Claire's wedding. Apparently the homily was very moving. It referenced their majesties (one of my favorite pictures of the king and queen is the photo of the queen tearing up and the king is holding her hand), as well as the Princess' parents, Phillippe and Mathilde, Astrid and Lorenz and Princess Claire's sister and brother-in-law. Wasn't a dry eye in the church!!:)

I think most of them did. The only one of the European princesses who I can't remember if she cried was Princess Letizia. (But I'm pretty sure she did).

Mary and Frederik cried during their wedding- Frederik crying at seeing Mary walk down the aisle was so sweet :wub: If I remember correctly, there was also a hymn sung/played that was special to Mary's beloved and departed mother that made Mary cry. I'll have to see.

Mathilde also cried. The picture of her dabbing her eyes at the altar, with Phillipe holding her hand, is (I think) one the best of the wedding.

Mette-Marit also cried.

I didn't see Frederik and Mary's wedding, but it sounds beautiful. As for Mette-Marit, all I read in the L.A. Times about her crying was during a pre-wedding press conference when they were badgering her about her past, and it almost made ME cry.

I can totally understand why she would cry at her wedding, she came such a long way!

I think everybody cried at Laurent and Claire's wedding. Apparently the homily was very moving. It referenced their majesties (one of my favorite pictures of the king and queen is the photo of the queen tearing up and the king is holding her hand), as well as the Princess' parents, Phillippe and Mathilde, Astrid and Lorenz and Princess Claire's sister and brother-in-law. Wasn't a dry eye in the church!!:)

Now that is one wedding I would LOVE to see a video of. It sounded SO emotional...and I know Laurent gets a lot of bad press and has done some crazy things in the past, but he got it COMPLETELY right with his choice of a wife. I think Claire is perfect for him.

Funny how the Belgian RF seems, for the most part, to make very happy and long lasting marriages. Have they ever had a divorce, I wonder?

Did Princess Claire cry during her wedding??? I don't know for sure, I think she did.
I do know Laurent did, but he was the groom so that doesn't count in this topic I guess? :):)

I saw a photo of Claire wiping away Laurent's tears, but she wasn't weeping herself. It was very sweet.

I think everybody cried at Laurent and Claire's wedding. Apparently the homily was very moving. It referenced their majesties (one of my favorite pictures of the king and queen is the photo of the queen tearing up and the king is holding her hand), as well as the Princess' parents, Phillippe and Mathilde, Astrid and Lorenz and Princess Claire's sister and brother-in-law. Wasn't a dry eye in the church!!

At the moment Father Gilbert compared Laurent in his sermon with the biblical lost son [ see thread :Prince Laurent of Belgium & Claire Coombs 2003 ; post #31] there wasn't a dry eye in church yes. There is also a beautifull photo of the King blowing his nose in a big white handkerchief.

I saw a photo of Claire wiping away Laurent's tears, but she wasn't weeping herself. It was very sweet.

I vague remember a photo of Claire with a handkerchief near he own face, but it is possible that she was only blowing her nose, or that I mixed it up with the one you mention here. I cant find the picture in the wedding thread and my old computer is crashed so I can't search for it there.

Funny how the Belgian RF seems, for the most part, to make very happy and long lasting marriages. Have they ever had a divorce, I wonder?

No, they never had a divorce. King Albert and Queen Paola had problems in their marriage and almost divorced, the rumours say. But divorce is also very much in conflict with the strong Catholic principles of the Belgian dynasty.

Queen Sofia also cried at her wedding :flowers:

The Spanish wedding was critizised for being cold and business-like, neither of them cried (only the heavens opened up with heavy rain) and they didnt even kiss.

Mette-Marit also cried.

Both weddings were very romantic and emotional. Maxima cried when she listened to the Tango music, very personal, not only because of the missing parents. Haakon did the most personal and emotional wedding speech of all, every bride would have cried I guess ;)

What did Haakon say?

What did Haakon say?

You can read the English translation of his speech here

My favorite part of the speech would be..
I don’t think I’ve ever been so angry with anyone as with you.
I don’t think I’ve ever been so weak or so strong as when I’ve been together with you.
I don’t think I’ve ever been so filled with love as when I am together with you.
No wonder MM cried!

Thank you.

Very beautiful!

I think that he is reciting a poem.

The anger he's talking about is part of his feelings, he has felt angry with her, weak with her as well as strong, filled with love. Basically, he's stating the range of emotions he has experienced with her. And, that's why I like this speech so much, because don't we all feel this way for our loved ones, from deep love to annoyance, from anger to forgiveness. Truly very personal and heartfelt.

why is prince laurent compared to the prodigal son???been wondering why he was crying so much in the pictures...now I know the answer

During the wedding of CP Victoria and P Daniel, P Fred was wiping his eyes along with Victoria shedding tears. I believe that Victoria & Fred have been close all their lives. He really must have a soft heart.

It was so sweet that Frederik cried at his wedding.He does not seem to worry about showing his feelings.

Victoria wiping Daniel's tear at their wedding was one of the best moments.

Charlene, of course, copiously wept at her recent nuptuals.

Haakon's speech had me tear up. I love seeing emotions (albeit positive ones) on wedding days. The tears are a sign of strong feelings and intense joy that just cannot be conveyed via a smile.

Mathilde cried when she was seated next to Prince Philippe of Belgium at their December 4, 1999 wedding.

Princess Aimee cried at her wedding to Prince Floris while Ave Maria was being sung.

Back
Top Bottom