Least Favourite Royal Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hania

Aristocracy
Hi there, I know that every bride wishes to look her best on her wedding day,but which royal or even "mere mortal" bride looked like they had gotten the entire plot very wrong on the special day?My choice would have to be Mabel Wisse Smit,her makeup and hair was flaw but that hideuos bow infested creation called a dress was so not right,what possessed her to do that to the dress is beyond me?

These are my least favourite royal brides:

Diana- she looked like a wrinkled, ruffled meringue
Sophie- her dress did not fit well and could have been much more flattering. The beading detail on the coat barely showed up at all.

Marina Ogilvie- she looked like she was about to run away with the circus or join a Russian Cossack dance troupe

Astrid of Belgium- well, it WAS the 80s but she still looked like an inflated sea rescue device

Stephanie of Monaco- TACKY!!!! both times

Caroline of Monaco- boring boring boring. After her mother's amazing elegance, I thought she'd have at least one dress of her 3 wedding outfits that was a show-stopper

Annette (Netherlands)- it was frumpy and didn't look like it fit her well

Mabel (Netherlands)- too many bows. It looked a little rediculous from the back.

Kalina of Bulgaria- what was that? While it looked like some sort of national costume, it was really awful. I think it was probably, the worst.

That sounds awfully critical, and it not meant as such. These were just my least favourites!!!!

Eliza

wedding2.jpg

hamzahnoor11.jpg

this the first time i am posting photos on this site so i am not sure if they look okay,anyway,henri's wife looks terrible in this creation which is so unflattering and so is sophie which is ill fitting and her crown seems to be placed so inappropriatily.noor of jordan's dress was also disapointing and so frilly,it makes her look to ancient like!

Stephanie of Monaco- TACKY!!!! both times- i just have to laugh...u would think the 2nd time she would get it right by the way...does anyone have any pic of her dress-both of them

I think many people would hurt feeling about their famous of Princess Diana's 1981 wedding dresses but many people like looking by her famous training 25 feet i do believe it but many people would love it!

and also Countess of Wessex like her wedding dresses because of her veil so WIND! after the wedding ceremony over.

please you would be nice to Princess Diana's wedding dresses because her famous wedding dresses for more 23 years since 1981 many people looks her wedding dress at display at Althorp just kept but Princess Diana cant sell her wedding dresses because more values like as millions or billions! she wores in 1981 but im sure she fit in 1981 but she is slim long time ago.

Sara Boyce

Last edited by a moderator:
Diana's dress was OK for the '80s in style. It was IMO the fabric that let it down. It creased horribly in the carriage. The only fault I would pick is that even though Diana was quite tall it seemed to engulf her. But that was the fashion then. I'm sure if she had been choosing a dress even 5 years later it would have been much more tailored & probably designed by Catherine Walker.

I think we must also look at the time in which they got married. Diana and Sarah married in the 1980's and then it was all the rave - people could not stop talking about their dresses. But anything from the 80's looks horrid now.
I also thought that Sophie's dress was too loose, until a costume designer showed me a book about dresses from the Tudor time and it is like they fashioned her dress to that time period. Actually it fits in with her jewelry and what the pages were wearing. I just think that if you are going to have a theme wedding, tell people - no use having the world think your dress was too loose when it was suppose to be that way.

As for Diana's dress, it was much for her. I personally liked Sarah's better it was not as bulky.

Diana's Wedding Dress

sara1981 said:
I think many people would hurt feeling about their famous of Princess Diana's 1981 wedding dresses but many people like looking by her famous training 25 feet i do believe it but many people would love it!

and also Countess of Wessex like her wedding dresses because of her veil so WIND! after the wedding ceremony over.

please you would be nice to Princess Diana's wedding dresses because her famous wedding dresses for more 23 years since 1981 many people looks her wedding dress at display at Althorp just kept but Princess Diana cant sell her wedding dresses because more values like as millions or billions! she wores in 1981 but im sure she fit in 1981 but she is slim long time ago.

Sara Boyce
I hear you Sara.

The designers of Di's gown did not factor in its design a way to prevent wrinkles caused from the trip to the church from the palace. Had the gown been made of a more wrinkle resistant fabric, it would not have been wrinkled. They acknowledged after the wedding that it was unfortuante that the gown was so wrinkled when Diana got out of the coach.

Also as someone else noted, the design of the dress was what was popular in the 1980's. I still think it's pretty. But some people didn't like it then and some still don't like it to this day. But that's fine because we're all different and we all like different things.

I, for one, Sara, loved Diana's gown and always will.

rania of jordan had also two wedding dresses and both were ugly,maybe cuz she was not stylish like today,i wonder why she was not mentioned as one the brides that didnt look good in their big day

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 2,269
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 2,185
cute_girl said:
rania of jordan had also two wedding dresses and both were ugly,maybe cuz she was not stylish like today,i wonder why she was not mentioned as one the brides that didnt look good in their big day
I dont think Rania had two dresses! It looks to me like she removed the jacket at the reception.

wymanda said:
I dont think Rania had two dresses! It looks to me like she removed the jacket at the reception.
Take a second look. Different dresses (vee neck in the second picture), different hairdos (flowers in her hair in the second picture) and different jewelry (necklace in the second picture).

I would have to say Sibilla of Luxemburg, the top part was fine but the hem...what was that???

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,927
Last edited:
{edit}

Royal brides: Karina of Bulgaria. I don't have a picture, but I am sure that some here remember that awful veil. She is known for having a unique fashion sense, and well her wedding gown was unique at best. The only thing about Diana's gown that bothered me was the fabric. It was a beautiful gown, but was just really wrinkled.

cute_girl said:
Is just one dress, she just take the jacket out.......but i agree she don't look very well.

and what were they thinking!

alright people here is semi's list of tacky wedding gowns

sibilla of luxemberg---------everything was find until u see the hem very scary:eek:

I totally didnt like QR's wedding dress nor the second one.The white shiny satin made the dress look so cheap and the ugly gold on it.It could of been nicer.

azile1710 said:
These are my least favourite royal brides:

Diana- she looked like a wrinkled, ruffled meringue
Sophie- her dress did not fit well and could have been much more flattering. The beading detail on the coat barely showed up at all.

Marina Ogilvie- she looked like she was about to run away with the circus or join a Russian Cossack dance troupe

Astrid of Belgium- well, it WAS the 80s but she still looked like an inflated sea rescue device

Stephanie of Monaco- TACKY!!!! both times

Caroline of Monaco- boring boring boring. After her mother's amazing elegance, I thought she'd have at least one dress of her 3 wedding outfits that was a show-stopper

Annette (Netherlands)- it was frumpy and didn't look like it fit her well

Mabel (Netherlands)- too many bows. It looked a little rediculous from the back.

Kalina of Bulgaria- what was that? While it looked like some sort of national costume, it was really awful. I think it was probably, the worst.

That sounds awfully critical, and it not meant as such. These were just my least favourites!!!!

Eliza
Eliza, I could do nothing more than laugh at this post. Thanks for the humorous post...

kinneret
lol i have to agree

i would love to see stephanies wedding dresses but i haven't be able to find any pic of both dresses can someone help me please

Last edited:
micas said:
Is just one dress, she just take the jacket out.......but i agree she don't look very well.
in these 2 pictures i think it's quite clear that the dresses are diffrent,just compare the skirt styles,the hair dos are different too

Attachments

• 0000286939-014.jpg
    0000286939-014.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,469
  • 0000286939-043.jpg
    0000286939-043.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,293
among the ugliest brides Laura Ponte stands on top,her dress,veil,tiara,flowers,hair do.....all look so horrrrrrrible:D

Attachments

• galeria20_1.jpg
    galeria20_1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 3,139
  • galeria20_14.jpg
    galeria20_14.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 2,687
princess fawzia was particulary very beautiful but in her wedding she looked ugly and i think her hair dresser was to blame

Attachments

• gff.jpg
    gff.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,600
Who is princess fawzia? It looks like she has no feet or legs. Maybe they could have put or twist her dress in a different way.

Solange said:
Who is princess fawzia?
princess Fawzia was king of egypt's sister who married shah of iran,then the crownprince,and later divorced.it is said that she was very beautiful

cute girl what is on the back of laura pointe's dress? and i do agree about her dress but i think if her veil was different style somthing that fits the 1920's look of the dress. she might look half way decent.

i dont like ugly wedding dresses! i really like best wedding dresses what i really chose good view by the dresses like as CP Mathilde of Belgium,CP Maxima of Netherland, or whatever!

im been watch wedding story lots its good examples for me than nothing! but i not like best or worse wedding on the television its really puff you know i watch that tv once weeks i dont like to put binders in the first place what got for brides and groom but needs to respectives!

Sara Boyce

A few of you have asked for pictures to back up my comments... I've been away for a while and am just now able to do this!

Eliza
Diana and the wrinkles

Attachments

• 1981 C- Diana.jpg
    1981 C- Diana.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,652
Astrid of Belgium

Attachments

• 1984 Astrid.jpg
    1984 Astrid.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 2,807
  • 1984 Astrid and Lorenz of Austria Este.jpg