The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Royal Weddings General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-19-2005, 09:25 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Diana chose an up and coming British husband and wife fashion team for her wedding dress. It really wasn't the style then, a lot of people were surprised. Fergie's wedding dress was more the style for the eighties. With Diana's dress I think they were trying to be too avant garde too clever. But Diana could have worn a paper sack at that wedding and everybody then would have said it was gorgeous.

Old 08-19-2005, 12:52 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Diana chose an up and coming British husband and wife fashion team for her wedding dress. It really wasn't the style then, a lot of people were surprised. Fergie's wedding dress was more the style for the eighties. With Diana's dress I think they were trying to be too avant garde too clever. But Diana could have worn a paper sack at that wedding and everybody then would have said it was gorgeous.
I think that part of the deal with Diana's dress was that they were trying to make a visual impact in the middle of all that space in St. Paul's. That was the reason for the 25 foot train (IMO that was excessive). Sarah's wedding was at Westminster, which was smaller.

But I thought that Sarah's dress was gorgeous, maybe even better than Diana's. And Sarah's dress worked well with her figure, considering that she was at a higher weight than she is now. Sarah was a beautiful bride.

Old 08-19-2005, 02:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
I think that part of the deal with Diana's dress was that they were trying to make a visual impact in the middle of all that space in St. Paul's. That was the reason for the 25 foot train (IMO that was excessive). Sarah's wedding was at Westminster, which was smaller.
The size of Diana's train had a lot to do with scale. I saw a documentary about the wedding several years ago where the dressmakers said that the train was so long because of scale. The Cathedral is so massive that it wouldn't have looked right for a woman to walk down an aisle and such a long way on camera with a small train following. It was definitely for visual affect.

I thought that the dress itself was terrible. It seemed to suit Diana to me. I have a hard time picturing her in anything else, but I cannot forget how wrinkled the dress was when Diana got out of the carriage. Major mistake by the designers. They thought about the scale of the cathedral, but not the carriage ride and how wrinkled the dress would be. That was really unattractive.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Royal Highness

Isabel, I agree. I wonder why they didn't do a "mock up" and put the dress in the coach and see how it would travel. (Maybe they just weren't thinking about that.)

If she had worn a simpler dress, like Mette-Merit's (which was lovely IMO) it would have looked small and out of proportion with that huge train. And Diana would have looked small -- remember, she was losing all that weight before the wedding.

I wonder what William's and Harry's brides will wear. But guess we won't know that until we know who the brides are! Maybe Chelsy will throw an animal down her back in honor of her African heritage! Perhaps something Daddy shot?
Old 08-19-2005, 03:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
I wonder what William's and Harry's brides will wear. But guess we won't know that until we know who the brides are! Maybe Chelsy will throw an animal down her back in honor of her African heritage! Perhaps something Daddy shot?
I meant, an animal pelt, not an actual animal!
Old 08-19-2005, 04:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hania

Oh my god, could u believe that Claire wore this for her civil ceremony,i mean her wedding dress was fanastc but look at this !!!!
This was NOT the civil ceremony! Just a little administrative task (All couples have to do) : go to the cityhall to confirm you are planning to get married on date X.

Claire & Laurent' s civil wedding was on the same day as their church wedding, so she wore her wedding gown designed by Natan.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:22 PM
Aristocracy

Would anyone have a wedding picture of Victoria Lockwood, the Earl of Spencer's first wife. I remember her dress as being hideous.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think anyone's wedding dress should be called hideous. For most women the wedding dress is a combination of life long dreams and fantasies and should be honored as something that is very special to someone. One may not like what is presumably very special to someone else but there are many ways to express an opinion that is different. Most of the time the best way to do that is to keep quiet.

grevinnan
Old 08-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel
, but I cannot forget how wrinkled the dress was when Diana got out of the carriage. Major mistake by the designers. They thought about the scale of the cathedral, but not the carriage ride and how wrinkled the dress would be. That was really unattractive.
Well Diana herself later said it was like a box of Kleenex tissue gone haywire.

Ironically Sarah had a longer train than Diana even though she got married in the smaller Westminister Abbey.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:09 PM
Royal Highness

I didn't know Sarah's train was longer. I thought Diana's was about as big as one could be (and still be pulled around by the wearer).

Sarah's was probably prettier with all the embroidery, and the A and the S. I think she might have had an anchor too in honor of Andrew's naval career. Does anyone else know what designs were on her train?
Old 08-19-2005, 08:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lallyvee
Would anyone have a wedding picture of Victoria Lockwood, the Earl of Spencer's first wife. I remember her dress as being hideous.
I didn't think her dress was bad. It had the brown fur around the wrists, and possibly the neck.

But Victoria didn't look well that day, possibly because of her eating disorder.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:03 AM
Courtier

Unhappy Victoria Lockwood

Victoria Lockwood was such a letdown:( Here I was In Charleston, SC, just waiting for the British to do their usual grand thing with royal weddings, thinking that she was going to appear in this beautiful wedding gown with glittering tiara in upswept hair, diamonds shining and dainty lace shoes - then reality hit like a big sopping wet towel.

She made me sad! Her gown looked like she got it out of a thrift shop at night in the dark from the back of the store in the storeroom broom closet Her hair look like it had no interest in doing anything except just hanging limply on her shoulders. I guess her hair was as disappointed in her gown as I was and didn't feel the necessity of trying to look good. I was never so disappointed in all my born days:p

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...chmentid=57145

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...hmentid=182545
Old 08-20-2005, 01:35 AM
Serene Highness

mgrant, I for one actually remember <liking> Victoria's dress.

Because, refreshingly, it was the opposite of the poofy eighties fashion with hideous fugly Diana-like huge <everything> from sleeves to skirt to...but hey, I guess you must have liked that?!

I liked that it was different; I liked that it was not white, and not cheesy, like all the, or most, other eighties bridal dresses.

I remember seeing pictures of Victoria's second wedding, only a few years back, to someone in South Africa, where she now lives. I liked her choice of outfit again; a very simple, sleevless white dress if I remember correctly. I think I saw that in Hello magazine. Does anyone have any pics of that one by any chance, so we can compare?
Old 08-20-2005, 01:47 AM
Courtier

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
mgrant, I for one actually remember <liking> Victoria's dress.

Because, refreshingly, it was the opposite of the poofy eighties fashion with hideous fugly Diana-like huge <everything> from sleeves to skirt to...but hey, I guess you must have liked that?!

I liked that it was different; I liked that it was not white, and not cheesy, like all the, or most, other eighties bridal dresses.

I remember seeing pictures of Victoria's second wedding, only a few years back, to someone in South Africa, where she now lives. I liked her choice of outfit again; a very simple, sleevless white dress if I remember correctly. I think I saw that in Hello magazine. Does anyone have any pics of that one by any chance, so we can compare?
I can recall that quite a few people thought her wedding gown was elegant and felt she looked like a fairy princess. I, on the other hand, did not think so:p but that's me. I wasn't expecting a Diana clone but I wasn't expecting that either. Believe me, I tried so hard to like it but just couldn't get into her look. I found her attractive otherwise and liked her clothing she wore day to day but her wedding gown was a disappointment, to me.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrant
Her hair look like it had no interest in doing anything except just hanging limply on her shoulders. I guess her hair was as disappointed in her gown as I was and didn't feel the necessity of trying to look good. I was never so disappointed in all my born days:p
Her hair was bad (just unstyled, hanging straight), but I think it was a very damp day. I remember seeing umbrellas in pictures.

By the way, Diana's hair wasn't all it could have been on her big day because of the humidity.

And a Spencer family wedding couldn't possibly compete with a royal wedding.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:39 PM
Commoner

Actually I liked Victoria's dress, style, everything!!! including the hair. I think the whole look was very unique and individual. I love the fluffy skin around the dress. I am not sure about the brown color thou but generally the look is so original that if I was to marry againher dress will be my inspiration for a winter wedding in the woods.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Well Diana herself later said it was like a box of Kleenex tissue gone haywire.

Ironically Sarah had a longer train than Diana even though she got married in the smaller Westminister Abbey.
Sarah's train was not longer. Sarah's train was 18 feet. Diana's was 25 feet. Do you think they would have let Sarah have a longer train at that time and upstage the Princess of Wales??

Diana is on record for having the longest train in Royal British history!
Old 08-31-2005, 02:53 AM
Aristocracy

Victoria neva really struck me as stunning either way, she was model as well prior to her marriage!!!
Old 08-31-2005, 06:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrant
"...oh my God I've woke up late...today is my wedding day..hurry, let me dressed and give me that Tiara..." then...run in to the church.....
Old 08-31-2005, 08:25 AM
Aristocracy

ha ha, but i dont think so, at least then she could have been forgiven

Tags
bride, royal weddings