The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Royal Weddings General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-06-2012, 12:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Catherine Cambridge is a perfect example of someone who could have looked so much better on her wedding day.

An elegant upsweep instead of those limp half-curls, more flattering makeup, about five extra pounds of body weight so that her chest did not look so bony and concave.

Princess Caroline at her first wedding in 1978 was so youthful and pretty that her disappointing wedding dress was not the first thing you noticed.

Ditto Princess Paola of Belgium in 1959...breathtakingly young and beautiful so she overcame her ill-fitting wedding dress, just like Diana did in 1981.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Catherine Cambridge is a perfect example of someone who could have looked so much better on her wedding day.

An elegant upsweep instead of those limp half-curls, more flattering makeup, about five extra pounds of body weight so that her chest did not look so bony and concave.

Princess Caroline at her first wedding in 1978 was so youthful and pretty that her disappointing wedding dress was not the first thing you noticed.

Ditto Princess Paola of Belgium in 1959...breathtakingly young and beautiful so she overcame her ill-fitting wedding dress, just like Diana did in 1981.
When I got married, in 1989, I was not sure what to do with my hair. The hair stylist asked me how I normally wore my hair, how I wore it the most comfortably. She said it was important to "be yourself" even if it is a wedding, and to be comfortable. I wore my hair down and I was glad I did, I did not want to "fuss" over a complicated hairstyle all day. I also wore it down because that is how my now husband liked it best, and I believed it photographed best down. I could be wrong, but I read that William prefers Kate's hair down. I must say, she has such beautiful hair, I am jealous!

Old 11-06-2012, 01:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Kate indeed has incredible hair, as does Luxembourg's new Princess Stephanie.

The difference is that Stephanie had wedding day hair...hair that helped to transform her into the fairy princess bride she was on her big day.

In Kate's official wedding photos her face and hair look so...average. What makes it even more frustrating is that she has subsequently been seen at formal evening occasions with her hair in some beautiful, elegant chignons...exactly as it could and should have appeared at her wedding.

She had her whole life to wear her hair down if her husband likes it that way...I just think on a woman's wedding day she should not wear her hair just like it's any other day. And that is what Kate did.

You would never know she had such gorgeous hair from her wedding day photos...it's just hanging there limp.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Kate indeed has incredible hair, as does Luxembourg's new Princess Stephanie.

The difference is that Stephanie had wedding day hair...hair that helped to transform her into the fairy princess bride she was on her big day.

In Kate's official wedding photos her face and hair look so...average. What makes it even more frustrating is that she has subsequently been seen at formal evening occasions with her hair in some beautiful, elegant chignons...exactly as it could and should have appeared at her wedding.

She had her whole life to wear her hair down if her husband likes it that way...I just think on a woman's wedding day she should not wear her hair just like it's any other day. And that is what Kate did.

You would never know she had such gorgeous hair from her wedding day photos...it's just hanging there limp.
I agree on that one - she seems to be almost afraid to wear it up. I wonder why? Insecurity?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Since it is an ever lengthening curtain to hide behind I think you have hit the nail squarely on the head.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think Brides should wear their hair how they feel most comfortable with it. I hate this idea that you need to wear your hair up or it's not elegant enough. There are plenty of brides who wore their hair down who looked great and brides who wore their hair up who looked horrible. The problem with Kate's hair on her wedding day was t that she wore it down but the way it was styled; I believe she should have had a professional do it and hand ringlets in her face rather than the side sweeped bang; or word it curled and over one shoulder. And I still to this day don't see a problem with Diana's hair.
One problem both Sarah and Kate had is their hair was too short for it to look good with the type of curls they went for.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 11-06-2012, 06:17 AM
Serene Highness

I agree that brides should wear their hair the way they feel most comfortable with but an updo doesn't have to be difficult nor constricting. Especially in the past few years, fashion has become far more minimalistic and simpl; focusing on comfort. This includes make-up and hair.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Recently Rixa of Oldenburg .. her mother Princess Cecile looked perfect , but her daughter!!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:48 AM
Royal Highness

Don't want to get this thread bogged down in hair debate, but how you style your hair is such a major part of the image you have of yourself - when a friend says they like a hairstyle and you don't think it suits you, no amount of compliments makes you think differently. My point being, that on your wedding day, you wear the style you perceive suits you best and in Catherine's case, I think she likes how she looks with her hair down ( and perhaps William does too) so no amount of friendly "advice" would have convinced her otherwise.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Aristocracy

Maybe the reason Kate had such a beautiful expression on her wedding day was because she felt beautiful. It doesn't matter how you wear your hair, do your makeup, or how long your train might be, if you feel like a museum display rather than a person, it's going to show in your expression. I'd rather see a few things missing than see an unhappy-looking bride (*coughCharlenecough*).
Old 11-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
As did her mother-in-law Diana's hair; i read that they hadn't taken the tiara into account; it flattened her fringe.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by COESpiral View Post
Maybe the reason Kate had such a beautiful expression on her wedding day was because she felt beautiful. It doesn't matter how you wear your hair, do your makeup, or how long your train might be, if you feel like a museum display rather than a person, it's going to show in your expression. I'd rather see a few things missing than see an unhappy-looking bride (*coughCharlenecough*).
I agree!!! The only person who needs to like the wedding gown (or hairdo) is the BRIDE
Old 11-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andolini View Post
I agree!!! The only person who needs to like the wedding gown (or hairdo) is the BRIDE
I agree and Catherine was was beautiful and angelic on her wedding day. My mum cried as she entered the abbey.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Serene Highness

I agree that Kate's head/hair look was pulled "down". As we all are aware, she was not wearing a tiara, or if she was wearing something in her hair it was minimal. The veil also was a downward stroke. This is what I was addressing when I said she looked like a bride from an ancient simple time, and I wondered it this effect was deliberate. Along with the intensely medieval caste of the music, the effect of Kate was that of a postulant.
Perhaps this was deliberate to emphasize that Kate was NOT a royal YET, she was becoming royal in this act of imploration to God--after all, this was a medieval cathedral which has seen many implorations for God's grace. Later, perhaps the effect intended, Kate will wear a tiara and a crown. She will be more "up", more imperious.
This is a long-wave drama. Or anyway that is how it might be. We cannot know who designed this effect.
Compare Kate's look to that of her bride's maid, who wore a modern, sophisticated dress, some say too sophisticated. Compare it, too, to the wild fantasia of hats worn on the heads of the congregation, the short skirts, in other words, the intensely worldly and fashionable look of the women in the "audience". Kate looked like a religious postulant compared to these women. She will not always look this way; her tiara days are coming.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel1 View Post
I agree that Kate's head/hair look was pulled "down". As we all are aware, she was not wearing a tiara, or if she was wearing something in her hair it was minimal. The veil also was a downward stroke. This is what I was addressing when I said she looked like a bride from an ancient simple time, and I wondered it this effect was deliberate. Along with the intensely medieval caste of the music, the effect of Kate was that of a postulant.
Perhaps this was deliberate to emphasize that Kate was NOT a royal YET, she was becoming royal in this act of imploration to God--after all, this was a medieval cathedral which has seen many implorations for God's grace. Later, perhaps the effect intended, Kate will wear a tiara and a crown. She will be more "up", more imperious.
This is a long-wave drama. Or anyway that is how it might be. We cannot know who designed this effect.
Compare Kate's look to that of her bride's maid, who wore a modern, sophisticated dress, some say too sophisticated. Compare it, too, to the wild fantasia of hats worn on the heads of the congregation, the short skirts, in other words, the intensely worldly and fashionable look of the women in the "audience". Kate looked like a religious postulant compared to these women. She will not always look this way; her tiara days are coming.
Wow, you should be a wedding planner - seriously, that description is amazing.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel1
Just to clarify, Kate was wearing HM's Cartier Halo tiara for her wedding. I do agree that an updo would have been more uplifting to her overall look, but she was still breathtaking.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andolini View Post
I do not completely agree. The GROOM also
Old 11-07-2012, 04:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I think Brides should wear their hair how they feel most comfortable with it. I hate this idea that you need to wear your hair up or it's not elegant enough..
I agree with you. For me a bride should not look "disguised" on her wedding day. Of course she has to be well groomed and give her best image, BUT she has to stay herself, NOT to look as a stranger.
Of course updo is very nice, but if the bride has never worn it before, or if she does not like herself confortable with, she should avoid.
Personnally I did not like Diana's hairdo in her wedding, but at this time Diana was a young, unexperienced girl, and I'm sure she had never wear her hair up before. So she did well not to have a sofisticated updo, looking strange and artificial.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
I do not completely agree. The GROOM also
whoopsy - forgot about the groom! LOL
Old 11-22-2012, 04:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Can someone point me to a pic of Diana's hair looking bad on her wedding day? I have seen Many images of her that day and her hair always looked good, clearly I am missing something. Or maybe I'm just distracted by the bad dress.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012

Tags
bride, royal weddings