The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Royal Weddings General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Why does a person's popularity diminish the fact that their wedding dress wasn't as beautiful as someone who wasn't as popular? Isn't that letting bias getting in the way of honesty? When Camilla got married I still mostly hated the woman, but I had to admit that she looked beautiful on her wedding day.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Heir Apparent

That's an excellent question, XC.

A good case in point would be the fans of Princess Mary of Denmark who have voted her as the most beautiful Royal bride of all time,(in British Hello! Magazine) even beating out..gulp!..Princess Grace of Monaco.

I mean...seriously??!

Not a Camilla fan, but I agree that she was a lovely bride...the best she has ever looked before or since, imo.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Not a Camilla fan, but I agree that she was a lovely bride...the best she has ever looked before or since, imo.
I could not agree more. Camilla looked lovely on her wedding day, since then...well, sometimes she looks lovely! But yes, on her big day she looked lovely and her dress choices were superb.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Mary? The wife of Prince Frederick? Ok I am one of the few who did like her dress and thought she looked gorgeous, but in no way was she more beautiful than Grace. I even liked Kate's dress but I still can't put it above Grace. I just don't understand why someone's popularity influences people's opinions about things that have nothing to do with their popularity.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh, I do agree with you. Brides (for the most part) wear what they want. I like all the royal wedding gowns, as they are all unique. What's not to like about a traditional wedding gown (even Mabel's --- which I like due to the sheer cheekiness).

And, the people who voted in those magazines probably have never seen a photo of Grace in her gown.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Aristocracy

Lady Diana Spencer's dress photogarphed as though it was crushed, so did the bride's maid dresses out of the same material. If you watch this film, you'll see it's the way the gown photographs not actual wrinkles.

Princess Diana's royal wedding dress seen on NBC-TV's 'Today' Show | MLive.com

The gown was perfection for Diana and St. Paul's and remains The Wedding Gown.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree. Her gown was crushed when she got out of the coach (I watched it live), but by the time she got up to the stairs to the Narthex, the fine silk had smoothed. She was a lovely, young bride and I had a wonderful time watching her wedding.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

It has been stated many times before, that Diana's dress was wrinkled when she got out of the carriage, when she walked down the aisle, when she got to the front of the church, and only stopped being wrinkled when she came out from signing the wedding papers. Does another picture of Diana at the altar have to be posted?
http://www.forum.princess-diana.com/..._03_2006_1.jpg
Old 07-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Heir Apparent

I hated Diana's gown when I first saw it and it is still not one of my favorites, but I like it better now because I understand what the designers were going for.

Diana's overall beauty and radiance that day come through in the photos...the gown has aged well which surprises me.

I still say that if she had filled it out better and if the designers had used a different fabric, it would have been an unqualified success.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

I try not to judge Diana's dress with today's fashion do's and don'ts. By 97 Diana thought it was over the top as well. I thought it was nice dress for that particular time and event. There was only one woman who could wear that dress and it was Diana. I do agree that maybe if a different fabric was used and if she didn't loose so much weight it might've looked better. But I thought she looked radiant; the hair, make up, and her smile stood out the most for me.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:32 AM
Royal Highness

I've read somewhere (MB, Forum?), in the Nineties Diana supposedly stated that she wouldn't have chosen the style of wedding dress she had, if she had the chance to do it again.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:46 AM
Heir Apparent

I thought Grace looked beautiful on her wedding day but,I did'nt like her headpiece.That's it.I wish she wore a tiara,I wonder why she did'nt.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:29 PM
Serene Highness

kate did not look good on her wedding day and her was not pretty dress at all. Noor bint Asem her dress was not pretty at all.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Courtier

princess Mary's dress I didn't like at all the top was fine but from the waist down it was a mess.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Courtier

I like to distinguish between the overall-look of the bride and the look/design of the bridal gown.

Brides and bridal gowns who did not look good:
Märtha Louise, Elena, Mabel, Laurentien

Brides wearing gowns which suited them, therefore overall looking better than usual/expected: Fergie, Sophie, Camilla, Cristina, Claire, Victoria

Brides who did not look their best on their wedding days although wearing beautiful gowns (both usually very good looking but just not on their wedding days):
Catherine, Letizia

Brides who somehow managed to triumph over their awful gowns with beauty and/or personality but who can look so much better than on their wedding days:
Rania, Maxima

Brides who looked like out of a fairytale - there was something special about them - although their gowns were
a) simply awful: Diana
b) nothing special: Mathilde, Marie
c) questionable, with parts I liked and other parts I really disliked: Mette-Marit, Mary
Old 11-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
I like to distinguish between the overall-look of the bride and the look/design of the bridal gown.

Brides and bridal gowns who did not look good:
Märtha Louise, Elena, Mabel, Laurentien

Brides wearing gowns which suited them, therefore overall looking better than usual/expected: Fergie, Sophie, Camilla, Cristina, Claire, Victoria

Brides who did not look their best on their wedding days although wearing beautiful gowns (both usually very good looking but just not on their wedding days):
Catherine, Letizia

Brides who somehow managed to triumph over their awful gowns with beauty and/or personality but who can look so much better than on their wedding days:
Rania, Maxima

Brides who looked like out of a fairytale - there was something special about them - although their gowns were
c) questionable, with parts I liked and other parts I really disliked: Mette-Marit, Mary

I think if you want to ask who wore a wedding dress that perfectly reflects the wearer's personality, number one would be Mabel. I love Mabel, I think she has got guts to stay true to herself and that dress, bows and all, was PERFECT for her!!!! I always have had a soft spot for Mabel, plus she is very intelligent.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess carmen View Post
princess Mary's dress I didn't like at all the top was fine but from the waist down it was a mess.
I agree. As soon as I saw her get out of the car I thought "what the hell does she have on". All that heavy fabric hanging around her waist looked gruesome. Then there was the too big hair and the too small tiara that was lost in the veil. I bet this is one dress she truly regrets. I sincerely doubt any bride would want to copy that look.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
I like to distinguish between the overall-look of the bride and the look/design of the bridal gown. Brides and bridal gowns who did not look good: ...Brides wearing gowns which suited them, therefore overall looking better than usual/expected: ...Brides who did not look their best on their wedding days although wearing beautiful gowns ...
Brides who somehow managed to triumph over their awful gowns with beauty and/or personality but who can look so much better than on their wedding days:...Brides who looked like out of a fairytale - there was something special about them - although their gowns were
Wow, that is a lot of glass half empty analysis.
I like to cut the bride some slack and try to like her choices.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana's supposedly wrinkled gown never bothered me. I was her hairdo which bothered me.
However, I was a bride a couple of year later and as may brides of that era, MT of Lux, the 2 belguim princesses, marie astrid and margaraetha to name afew, we hared the fshion statement of the times.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Serene Highness

I am partial to all things Lux, so my appreciation of Tessy's wedding gown can be sneaked in here. It was light weight, not heavy, but girlish (and not over done or over decorated like Diana's or Mabel's). She and most of the family were filled with radiance, seeing that their story was having a happy chapter for everyone, and the light gown reflected this.
So should I add anything about gowns I don't like? I have not been watching gowns as long as some of you, so I have really few complaints...I have not seen Mabel's bow-frantica.
I thought Kate's gown was not at all stylish, but a masterpiece of expressing the choreography of the total wedding, with it's deeply traditional music. It was a very old fashioned gown for a woman of another era even before the Tudor era, whenever there was an era that appreciated simple sincerity. Whether the British royals are that sincere really, I don't know, but the drama was magnificent, culminating in the choral piece immediately after the vows, which was like a heartfelt prayer from the deep medieval era (although written in the modern era).

I like the puff thing on the bottom of Sybilla's gown, as it looks like she's floating on a cloud--I have noticed this cloud effect on other brides, but didn't take notes so I can't be sure, but I think Alice of Gloucester had a cloud, perhaps Princess Marina. And others.

Tags
bride, royal weddings