The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Royal Weddings General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-22-2011, 06:41 PM

Kates top was a little bit weird. As if she wore a mini version of Madonnas Gaultier bra

I didn´t liked the fabric of Marys dress, and she looked so unfinished.

Awful: Astrid of Belgium

http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscrape...elgwed1984.jpg

Old 06-22-2011, 06:48 PM
Gentry

@ Xeniacasaraghi: I liked Mathildes weddingdress, but thought Mary's was AWFUL!!!!
We seem to heave the opposite taste :-)
I quite like the high collored overcoat look. I had a wow moment when I saw Mathilde. The only thing I did not like was that giant bouquet..
Letizia's dress was nice but was too big for her.

But Mary. She is so nicely dressed most of the time, but that wedding dress was a real mess. Maybe when it would have been a straigth skirt.. now it looked like an apron and the worst was her hairdo. Honestly she looked like a milkmaid with enormous ears ( have you noticed that ??? the hairstyle made her ears look really big.
Well every one is entitled to his/her own opinion but in this case I think my taste is better ( joke) but really how can you like Mary's weddingdress as it actually made her look more ugly than she is.

I have never liked Diana's weddingdress... I think the idea of Sophie Wessex weddingdress was nice but is was very ill-fitted, like Letizia's dress was as well.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardot View Post
Kates top was a little bit weird. As if she wore a mini version of Madonnas Gaultier bra

I didn´t liked the fabric of Marys dress, and she looked so unfinished.

Awful: Astrid of Belgium

http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscrape...elgwed1984.jpg

I like Astrid very much, but her gown was a big flop.

Obviously the sleeves were not a good idea...she could have used them as a water life raft to stay afloat in dire circumstances.

Also, she was seriously mistaken not to take advantage of wearing one of her mother's beautifu tiaras...she was a Royal Princess marrying an Imperial Highness and Royal Duke.

If ever a wedding called for the bride to wear a tiara, it was that one IMO.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana's dress was just overwhelming for her. I suppose she chose the Emanuels because that black strapless dress caused such a sensation, but she'd have done better to go with a more-experienced designer.

Sarah Ferguson's would have looked much nicer without those big shoulder-pads; Anne's sleeves could have been tapered a bit. I disliked Sophie's very much.

CP Victoria's dress was very very plain; it didn't impress me, and her hairstyle did not flatter her.

Grace looked perfect, but then it would be hard to detract from that cool elegant beauty under any circumstances.; I think Kate looked lovely as well.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

The thing about Grace's gown is that on any other bride I don't think it would have been as memorable or as beautiful.

Grace's swan neck, wasp thin waistline, long arms and above all FLAWLESS face are what made her such a beautiful bride in that particular gown.

Even on another beautiful woman, I am not sure Grace's bridal gown would have been as successful...even though it WAS an exquisite bridal gown.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

It was designed for her, by a Hollywood designer. It was very special. I hated Diana's gown, but they did get most of the wrinkles out before she walked down the aisle. Sarah's gown was beautiful and in the style of that time. Sophie's dress was too big and for all that money, it wasn't altered. I though Mary, Matilde and Maxima looked beautiful.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I think the Duchess of Cambridge's makeup and face looked breathtkingly beautiful BEHIND her veil...it's when she lifted her veil that it didn't look as nice.

I thought her hair was a big disappointment...I didn't like it at all.
I can't remember which way I preferred her makeup but it was a little bit too much. The hair was actually quite disappointing but I don't know why that side swoop bang urks me so much. I did like that she curled her hair though; it was different while at the same time being completely Kate. She loves to wear her hair down.
@olebabs, that is hilarious. I can imagine her designers telling her "don't look down at the dress". If she was aware how wrinkled it was she hid her emotions and possible disappointment well.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Heir Apparent

If you look closely at photos of Kate's wedding day hair, some of the curls look like they didn't quite "take"...they look wirey and limp and weird close up...it was just such a lackluster hairstyle that did NOT go with the exquisite elegance of her gown at all.

If she had added height at the crown and done away with the side part it might have worked, imo.

The side swoop was just sooo boring.

She was such a beautiful bride, but with a few little bitty changes she would have been an over-the-top unforgettable one, imo.(different hair, longer veil and train, slightly fuller skirt on the gown.)
Old 06-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I can't remember which way I preferred her makeup but it was a little bit too much. The hair was actually quite disappointing but I don't know why that side swoop bang urks me so much. I did like that she curled her hair though; it was different while at the same time being completely Kate. She loves to wear her hair down.
@olebabs, that is hilarious. I can imagine her designers telling her "don't look down at the dress". If she was aware how wrinkled it was she hid her emotions and possible disappointment well.
There is documentary made before Will and Kate's wedding, based around Diana's wedding and they have Mr. Emmanuel saying that the gown got wrinkled in the small coach, but he and his wife, "zhushed", there is no word, back into place. I still didn't like it.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Serene Highness

I think, no royal bride looked terrible, but the two worst ones for me are Duchess Matilde of Wurrtemberg and Mabel of the Netherlands. Matilde had a strange hair creation, a weird necklace turned into a tiara and an odd dress, and Mabel, well what is their to say that hasn't already been said?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
HAAAATE the high collared overcoat look...it made both brides look like fairy tale witches...especially Letizia!
I will second that! I have never seen a "coat-dress" style wedding dress that I liked. As for high collars, I think they can look nice when done on a smaller scale, as for an evening gown, but they do not work on wedding dresses, especially royal wedding dresses (IMO). Combined with a full skirt, long train, and especially a veil and tiara already framing the face, a stand-up collar is just too much. I think Mathilde managed to pull the look off a little better than Letizia, who looked like she had been swallowed whole by her dress.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:54 AM
Heir Apparent

I think Mathilde pulled off the high collar look because she is tall.I don't think Letizia pulled it off because she is small.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:24 AM
Courtier

Sadly Kate did her makeup herself big mistake. It looked kind off clownish her cheeks were too red and her eyes makeup too heavy. I think she was thinking of cameras etc but it looked bad. Her hair was not well done and I think we knew it would be down the veil was very limp. As I've said before Kate's dress lacked sparkle and I've seen it before it also did not come across well over tv. You couldn't even tell for the most part there was anything on the bottom of the dress. I know Royal brides have to have their shoulders covered but surely they can come up with something better then these coat type wedding dresses? Sophies was awful and just boring and when you look at a few of them they seem to be that way.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I thought Mary of Denmark's gown was an ugly mess. I didn't understand it at all. The bodice and the neckline were lovely. But the skirt?? It looked like someone slashed it with a pair of scissors.
That sums it up, IMO! It's almost treason to criticize Mary's dress in Denmark, however a couple of fashion 'journos' have had the guts to state that the skirt was a flop! It looked like a badly folded 'serviette!'

Quote:
I saw a designer's sketch of the gown and it was just beautiful...I don't know why it didn't come out so well.
Either because the wrong material was chosen or because 'someone' interferred !
The Queen was somehow involved - according to herself - and maybe she got an 'idea' incompatible with design or material or both! The basic problem with the skirt was that some old DRF lace panels dating back to Princess Margaret of Connaught had to be included! They were incorporated beautifully on HM's dress in 1968 and they've been 'ok' on a couple of other occasions, however it's difficult to think up a new design whenever you make a new dress! The lace panels are sewn on and must not be cut into.
This is where the designer and 'someone' went wrong, IMO: The overlaying 'tongues' intended to contrast the underlaying lace panels came out as a disaster!

viv
Old 06-23-2011, 05:58 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
:giggles: I'm the only one here who liked Mary's dress from start to finish.
Oh no, I love it too
Old 06-23-2011, 06:01 AM
Nobility

I'm another, I love it too.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:20 AM
Nobility

I completely forgot to see the dress. I was looking at CP Frederik :-) He was adorable :-)
Old 06-23-2011, 10:29 AM

I did not like Kate wedding dress.. Pipa seemed better for me than she! I expected something more glamorous, not so closed dress!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen Anne Marie was perfect on her day minus the hair.It was strange to me but was still very beautiful.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Serene Highness

Queen Noor of Jordan. The dress was okay, but she looked washed out without a touch of makeup.

Tags
bride, royal weddings