The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Royal Weddings General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppigurl2005
been looking for this pic...someone tell me if its been posted before.
(corbis)
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...F15-688064.jpg
its a top view of Mabel's train...makes me hate it even more.
OMG - I have never seen Mabels dress from above. Those bows are HUGE!
The bows at the very end of the train is big eniugh for her and her husband to sit on. Now this dress really scared me.

She would have been soo georgeous without all the bows o that dress, because the dress itself was wonderful.

But bows are coming back and back again with her, so she probably like them a lot. Just look at the dress her kids wear at their baptism. I'm not sure if the bows are a print or wowen into the fabric, but the drss of the baby to be baptised also has bows.Mabel has also shown up in at least two red/rink dresses with bows on.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Wow. To tell you the truth I never thought Mabel's gown was truly hideous....UNTIL I just saw that particular view from above. Now I know what the big deal is...that thing looks like big spiders or something.

AWFUL!!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Commoner

My my she really is SO into bows isnt she?Her train looks ugly!
Old 08-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Courtier

Marie Chantal --- Beautiful gown but not for her; it overwhelmed her petite figure and was way too heavy for July.

Kalina - Off-beat ... just like the bride

Serena Linley - I loved the gown but it was just too much gown for her; in addition, her hair was piled way tooo high.

Sarah Armstrong-Jones--- simply perfection

Diana- awful! Too much dress .. the wrinkles .. just dreadful.

Matilde - blah!

Laurentien - She had never looked better than she did on her wedding day. Fabulous!

Astrid --- Those sleeves? My God, they were wider than the church aisle!

Mabel --- The cut of the gown was quite elegant ... until you caught a look at all those bows and that train. It was a train wreck!

Mary - The whole looked worked on her.

Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg --- Her first wedding: too much dress and too much hair for a petite girl; Her second wedding: quite inappropriate!

Letizia- For someone who looked so elegant just the week before ... I can't begin to wonder what happened. Too much gown ... too high of a neckline on a petite girl with a very tall groom. Where were her fashion advisors? And, her hair? What was that?

Marie Terese - Well, it was the very early 80's and she was probably quite naive. After all, she still had one eyebrow. Thankfully, her taste has improved with age.

Tessy - I'm sorry but no bride -- especially one who has already given birth to a child -- should wear a strapless gown.

Francesca Habsbourg --- Loved, loved loved the whole ensemble. The coat was necessary because it was COLD. The small church where they were married was, I am sure, not heated. The dress under the coat looked beautiful --- lovely color and bead-work.

Mette Marit --- Simply perfection ... with the exception of that tiara which I really still don't like.

Martha Louise --- Her dress looked dirty. Blah!

Sophie --- Let me start with that black 'n white pearl jewelry designed by her groom. It was awful. The tiara was too heavy for such a simple veil. The gown was unexceptional.

Silvia - Simply stunning.

Grace -- of course, the most beautiful bride ever.

Autumn Kelly -- her hair and the fabulous tiara were the highlights. The gown was a bit off the rack.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
The problem with Caroline of Monaco's first gown is that it made her look chubby, which she was far from. It made her look just dumpy and thick waisted. I remember waiting with baited breath to see her wedding gown-she was my style idol when I was a young girl-and I was sooo disappointed at the plain-ness of it all! She was so young and innocent looking and I suppose the gown was meant to reflect simplicity and elegance.

But except for the hemline, I found it to be a great big dud!

I think that Caroline was supposed to wear the flower circle headdress more as a wreath on top of her head, but the press got ahold of sketches of the wedding outfit just before the wedding and published them (in Women's Wear Daily). So the wreaths were changed and worn on the side of her head. She DID look like Princess Leia from "Star Wars!"
Beam me up, Scotty!
Old 08-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Commoner

Diana's dress was not the best, but she looked beautiful from the neck up.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamk View Post
I think that Caroline was supposed to wear the flower circle headdress more as a wreath on top of her head, but the press got ahold of sketches of the wedding outfit just before the wedding and published them (in Women's Wear Daily). So the wreaths were changed and worn on the side of her head. She DID look like Princess Leia from "Star Wars!"
Beam me up, Scotty!

Well, if that is what actually happened, what a SILLY thing to do! So what if WWD found out you were wearing a wreath...hello? Is it worth changing the whole thing so that you look like movie character from a sci-fi fantasy??

Caroline's saving grace on her wedding day was that she was the most beautiful Princess in Europe at that time. Her radiant face was bound to upstage any bridal fashion faux-pas.

Same thing with Lady Diana Spencer three years later...she was just so breathtaking lovely that it didn't matter that her gown was such a letdown(to me anyway)
Old 08-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
Diana's dress was not the best, but she looked beautiful from the neck up.
At the time - in the 80th - I found her weddinggown absolutly wonderfull. But it was fasion then. Today it is different. Her gown is just to much. Who knows - in 10 to 20 years it peerhaps will be back in fasion again.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Royal Highness

Serena Linley - I loved the gown and that it was similar to Margaret's. yes the hair was was too high.

Sarah Armstrong-Jones - absolutely my favorite royal gown. less is more and the dresses on the bridal party was perfect.

Diana- although looking back i don't like it, at the time it was the perfect fairy tale dress. wish she'd done something with her hair.

Sophie - thought she looked stunning, my second favorite royal gown, again less is more.

Grace - lovely for the era...she looked fabulous

Autumn Kelly - loved her gown but the bridal party were a disaster.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
At the time - in the 80th - I found her weddinggown absolutly wonderfull. But it was fasion then. Today it is different. Her gown is just to much. Who knows - in 10 to 20 years it peerhaps will be back in fasion again.
The dress was larger than life! The sketches were good, and I am guessing the fittings looked great, very 80's, but great. What nobody had allowed for was squashing that whole merangue thingee into a coach and having it explode out on the church steps looking like a wrinkled wreck.

The veil looked good as did the tiara but, the hair was a disaster and the whole effect made her look overwhelmed.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Aristocracy

This topic is so negative- why focus on how bad someone looks on a day that should focus on the happiness of the couple in question? It's their wedding day and its supposed to be a happy occasion not a fashion show for the paparazzi. Wish the happy couples the best of luck and move on. 0-o
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefeatherz View Post
This topic is so negative- why focus on how bad someone looks on a day that should focus on the happiness of the couple in question? It's their wedding day and its supposed to be a happy occasion not a fashion show for the paparazzi. Wish the happy couples the best of luck and move on. 0-o

Everything you say is true, however there are MANY threads that exist devoted to extolling and praising the Royals and the wedding fashions. This is a thread where we are discussing gowns and fashions we didn't necessarily like. It's why the Forums exist...and it's not like it's harming the Royals or anyone else.

I am not sure I see what the problem is.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Nobility

That's exactly right. I for one, don't like Maxima's weddinggown for one bit. Okay, the veil and tiara are marvelous, but the dress itself?? It's like a Nun's habit, very unlike Maxima and, dare I say, very Beatrix.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Aristocracy

I enjoyed reading some of this, so might revive it...

Worst one for me has to be Marie Chantal's - it was so stiff and formal, and her hair so lacquered into a helmet, it was not nice at all, and gave no indication of the beautiful girl underneath.

Controversial perhaps, but I wasn't keen on Maxima's... Also - it was very stiff, and as if she was thinking 'I'm marrying a future King, I need to dress the part'. Not her at all. Her hair had also been beaten into sad submission. (Wonderful new tiara though).

And sadly Silvia - It was like a dressing gown, and whenever she raised her arm, the hem rose - considering it was Dior, it wasn't well made. Loved the veil with the cameos though. Actually, Silvia's and Maxima's were rather similar in their way...

I think the best brides are the ones whose personality shines through: Mette Marit, Beatrix, Margrethe - these are still big occasion dresses, but the women aren't being worn by them.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I'm not sure if it's been nominated before, but Astrid of Belgium's wedding dress is a horror. Although she's a lovely lady still, the dress was much worse than her contemporary's, Diana's. This dress boasted even puffier sleeves.

And oddly enough the bride wore big lilies in her hair, not one of the very nice Belgian tiaras, not sure how I feel about that.

Princess Paola's "hat" is also horrible. This poor mother of the bride looks like she's wearing a matching sweatband like a tennis player.

Even the guests look awful. Maybe Princess Astrid laughs now when she sees the photos of this example of 1980s excess.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:37 AM
Nobility

Do you know where a picture of it is? Thanks!
Old 10-05-2009, 07:41 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

For me the worst dress is Mabel's. Completely tasteless IMO.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have one thing to say to Mabel, "Put your hands up in the air where we can see them and slooooooowly back away from the bows"! Bows are best reserved for babies..........
Old 10-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswhitham View Post
Do you know where a picture of it is? Thanks!
For the entire ugliness please go to Princess Astrid Of Belgium & Archduke Lorenz of Austria-Este 1984. It's in the wedding section and is labelled Princess Astrid of Belgium and Archduke Lorenz of Austria-Este.

And the sad thing is, I think Astrid is quite lovely and her mother, Paola, was a very youthful-looking mother of the bride. I think Queen Paola now shows the effects of too much sun, she used to resemble Grace Kelly when she was younger.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by James in London View Post
Controversial perhaps, but I wasn't keen on Maxima's... Also - it was very stiff, and as if she was thinking 'I'm marrying a future King, I need to dress the part'. Not her at all. Her hair had also been beaten into sad submission. (Wonderful new tiara though).

I think the best brides are the ones whose personality shines through: Mette Marit, Beatrix, Margrethe - these are still big occasion dresses, but the women aren't being worn by them.
I have an idea that the "little grey people of the palace" had their first and last input into anything Maxima wears!

Tags
bride, royal weddings