The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Royal Weddings General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-25-2006, 03:03 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanesa
Maybe we must not laugh, for it could be a tradition in a family to wear the same wedding dress or kind of dress.

Maybe a Japanese is around hear to clear up our doubts...

Vanesa.
I don't think it's the same dress, but it is probably from the same bolt of silk cloth. I remember seeing an interview (translated to english) where the seamstress talked about how nervous she was when cutting the material for Princess Masako's dress. Apparently the material was very special and there wasn't a lot of room for error!

Old 10-25-2006, 04:28 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I don't think it's the same dress, but it is probably from the same bolt of silk cloth. I remember seeing an interview (translated to english) where the seamstress talked about how nervous she was when cutting the material for Princess Masako's dress. Apparently the material was very special and there wasn't a lot of room for error!
You are right Nefertiti, I also remember reading this story! In fact, the material was a VERY expensive one, so it's understable, the seamstress was worried about wasting it!

Old 10-26-2006, 08:30 PM
Courtier

Diana of Wales.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
I think CP Mary was just very nervous, obviously, but more importantly, ivory is not her color! The color seemed to wash her out- she was so pale, her skin matching her dress.

Mary's Dress looked (IMO) prettier in the designer's drawing. Check out the Wedding dress sketches thread in "Old, New, Royal and Blue."
i also think that the shoulder part of Mary's dress is too wide for her, maybe bcuz of how the sleeves are attached to the dress??...also....there's something wrong with her hairdo that makes her look weird.

besides that, I would agree that her dress looks prettier in the designer's drawing. The dress just looks too simple for a crown princess of denmark. someone might say that sometimes the simplier the better, but as for Mary's case...i find the dress a little bit boring for a royal bride.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:49 AM
Nobility

Refer to the question of Masako and Kiko's wedding dress - both were of identical design but it were entirely 2 different dresses. The material used are silk spun by the silk worm breed by the royal palace, that why it is so precious and one of a kind - u can't get it other where else. The jackets worn over it by the 2 princesses during the car ride used the same material but of different pattern. Masako's rose petal design at the neckline and Kiko's was a cape. In fact, Empress Michiko also wear similar gown for her wedding except that there's a bow at the front waist area.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:28 PM
Serene Highness

thank you for the extra information, tlklhm. i think it very interesting to know the fine details!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Aristocracy

wow, so many brides to chose from. Hands down for Princess Mabel. I mean, i like bows too, but i wouldnt have them sewn all over my dress, then again, she picked the most unlikely duo to design the dress for her. I actually liked Princess Diana's dress, mainly because my aunt as a 2 foot replica of the late prince dress in it that sits on a table in her bedroom, and ive been to her house one too many times as a young child. I think CP mary took the whole Cinderella/Princess thing a little too far, IMO, but ya know, it was her day, so what ever floated her boat is fine with me. and then theres mathlide. she has nice taste in other formal wear, but not when it came to her wedding gown. that goes for her sister in law, Princess astrid. I dont care if it was the 80's, even Princess Di's sleeves werent that big.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

i actually didnt like Mary's wedding dress - the panels at the front looked awful and the sleeves werent nice.
The wedding dresses in the 1980s today look really bad as they are big with puff sleeves however at the time they were in the height of fashion so it is hard to criticise these dresses now. Who knows maybe in 20 years people will look back at Maxima's, Letizia's and Mette-Marit's and think that they were awful. We are juding yesterdays dresses by todays standards!!!
The worst dress of the Britsih royal family has to be Spohie Countess of Wessex as it was too big and very boring wth little detail!!!

Old 11-21-2006, 03:47 AM
Gentry

Sophie was bad esp for being so recent and all
Old 02-04-2007, 01:06 AM
Aristocracy

Just had to post this

been looking for this pic...someone tell me if its been posted before.
(corbis)
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...F15-688064.jpg
its a top view of Mabel's train...makes me hate it even more.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppigurl2005
(corbis)
Awful really... If you compare that to Mąxima's veil... pictures I just looked at because of her anniversary... but if Mabel liked it... but then I just cannot imagine anyone liking that...
Old 02-04-2007, 03:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
(corbis)

That looks less like a wedding dress and more like a cake. Too many bows. Too many!
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-12-2007, 08:43 AM
Gentry

Alexandra of Denmark new dress was much better then her older one, that one sucked big time!
Old 05-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Courtier

Yes but the hairdo? well i think it was terrible in both wedding occasions ...
Old 05-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

I completely agree, Verde Esmeralda. That last one, with the flowers and all- yuck.
I also thought the dress was a bit of a let down, after her classy gala dresses. It seemed a little "off the rack"

Old 05-17-2007, 06:51 AM
Aristocracy

Indeed, that dress looked like a "Bride's House"-one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
I completely agree, Verde Esmeralda. That last one, with the flowers and all- yuck.
I also thought the dress was a bit of a let down, after her classy gala dresses. It seemed a little "off the rack"
Old 05-17-2007, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigheadshirmp
i also think that the shoulder part of Mary's dress is too wide for her, maybe bcuz of how the sleeves are attached to the dress??...also....there's something wrong with her hairdo that makes her look weird.

besides that, I would agree that her dress looks prettier in the designer's drawing. The dress just looks too simple for a crown princess of denmark. someone might say that sometimes the simplier the better, but as for Mary's case...i find the dress a little bit boring for a royal bride.
her hair was too high, the tiara got lost against the hair do. I think it shouldve been lower & the tiara shouldve been worn more forward.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:35 AM
Gentry

I was always

telling to myself : this girl has plenty of money and she has no taste no style no intesting clothes.

I do understand now first time i see her wedding and i can't believe no one has told her " do you really intend to wed dressed like this ?"

Quote:
(corbis)
Old 05-20-2007, 06:57 AM
Courtier

Considering how great she can look, Letizia didn't look very special on her wedding day ..
Old 05-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
(corbis)
I think if the train didn't have all these bows, the dress would have been nice in general.

Tags
bride, royal weddings