Least Favourite Royal Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe the reason Kate had such a beautiful expression on her wedding day was because she felt beautiful. It doesn't matter how you wear your hair, do your makeup, or how long your train might be, if you feel like a museum display rather than a person, it's going to show in your expression. I'd rather see a few things missing than see an unhappy-looking bride (*coughCharlenecough*).

I agree!!! The only person who needs to like the wedding gown (or hairdo) is the BRIDE

I agree!!! The only person who needs to like the wedding gown (or hairdo) is the BRIDE

I agree and Catherine was was beautiful and angelic on her wedding day. My mum cried as she entered the abbey.

I agree that Kate's head/hair look was pulled "down". As we all are aware, she was not wearing a tiara, or if she was wearing something in her hair it was minimal. The veil also was a downward stroke. This is what I was addressing when I said she looked like a bride from an ancient simple time, and I wondered it this effect was deliberate. Along with the intensely medieval caste of the music, the effect of Kate was that of a postulant.
Perhaps this was deliberate to emphasize that Kate was NOT a royal YET, she was becoming royal in this act of imploration to God--after all, this was a medieval cathedral which has seen many implorations for God's grace. Later, perhaps the effect intended, Kate will wear a tiara and a crown. She will be more "up", more imperious.
This is a long-wave drama. Or anyway that is how it might be. We cannot know who designed this effect.
Compare Kate's look to that of her bride's maid, who wore a modern, sophisticated dress, some say too sophisticated. Compare it, too, to the wild fantasia of hats worn on the heads of the congregation, the short skirts, in other words, the intensely worldly and fashionable look of the women in the "audience". Kate looked like a religious postulant compared to these women. She will not always look this way; her tiara days are coming.

I agree that Kate's head/hair look was pulled "down". As we all are aware, she was not wearing a tiara, or if she was wearing something in her hair it was minimal. The veil also was a downward stroke. This is what I was addressing when I said she looked like a bride from an ancient simple time, and I wondered it this effect was deliberate. Along with the intensely medieval caste of the music, the effect of Kate was that of a postulant.
Perhaps this was deliberate to emphasize that Kate was NOT a royal YET, she was becoming royal in this act of imploration to God--after all, this was a medieval cathedral which has seen many implorations for God's grace. Later, perhaps the effect intended, Kate will wear a tiara and a crown. She will be more "up", more imperious.
This is a long-wave drama. Or anyway that is how it might be. We cannot know who designed this effect.
Compare Kate's look to that of her bride's maid, who wore a modern, sophisticated dress, some say too sophisticated. Compare it, too, to the wild fantasia of hats worn on the heads of the congregation, the short skirts, in other words, the intensely worldly and fashionable look of the women in the "audience". Kate looked like a religious postulant compared to these women. She will not always look this way; her tiara days are coming.

Wow, you should be a wedding planner - seriously, that description is amazing.:flowers:

Mariel1 said:

Just to clarify, Kate was wearing HM's Cartier Halo tiara for her wedding. I do agree that an updo would have been more uplifting to her overall look, but she was still breathtaking.

I think Brides should wear their hair how they feel most comfortable with it. I hate this idea that you need to wear your hair up or it's not elegant enough..

I agree with you. For me a bride should not look "disguised" on her wedding day. Of course she has to be well groomed and give her best image, BUT she has to stay herself, NOT to look as a stranger.
Of course updo is very nice, but if the bride has never worn it before, or if she does not like herself confortable with, she should avoid.
Personnally I did not like Diana's hairdo in her wedding, but at this time Diana was a young, unexperienced girl, and I'm sure she had never wear her hair up before. So she did well not to have a sofisticated updo, looking strange and artificial.

Can someone point me to a pic of Diana's hair looking bad on her wedding day? I have seen Many images of her that day and her hair always looked good, clearly I am missing something. Or maybe I'm just distracted by the bad dress.

Can someone point me to a pic of Diana's hair looking bad on her wedding day? I have seen Many images of her that day and her hair always looked good, clearly I am missing something. Or maybe I'm just distracted by the bad dress.

I don't think there had been enough practice runs prior to the big day. The effects the tiara and voluminous veil on her hair had not been taken into consideration.

Her usual blowdry did not provide enough support, so instead of flicking off her face, the sides and fringe(bangs) were flattened against her head. If you look at her hair when she left for her honeymoon, it looks entirely different. For the first time that day, it actually appears to have been styled.

I have been responsible for wedding hair at many society weddings. I never considered my work finished until I'd greeted the bride at the church to make any last minute adjustments made necessary by wind/rain and hopefully eliminating nasty shocks when the bride sees her wedding photos. Whilst her honeymoon hair looked wonderful, I know, beyond a shadow of doubt that, that I would never have allowed one of "my" brides, let alone the future Queen, to walk down the aisle with hair looking less than perfect. However good the hair may look when she leaves for honeymoon, it's the first impression that will be the lasting one.

Personally I don't think there was any bride that didn't look good on her wedding day. Maybe certain things were not to my taste or could have been done better - but to really not look good you have to mess up a lot of things, which I don't think any bride has done.
Not that I'm a big fan of the 80's looks ;) but in their day those brides were also beautiful IMO.

I loved Diana's hair BTW :flowers:

I'm pretty sure Mabel has been mentioned with her over done bow fetish, but i also have to say that a woman with ears like that should not wear her hair back.

I don't think there had been enough practice runs prior to the big day. The effects the tiara and voluminous veil on her hair had not been taken into consideration.

Her usual blowdry did not provide enough support, so instead of flicking off her face, the sides and fringe(bangs) were flattened against her head. If you look at her hair when she left for her honeymoon, it looks entirely different. For the first time that day, it actually appears to have been styled.

http://lisawallerrogers.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/princess-diana_wedding1.jpg

This probably illustrates this quite well..? (there should be more pictures on this thread :) )

Princess Charlene of Monaco - She wore nice outfit, make-up was realy nice and hairstyle was great but her unhappy face ruined it all

Hey its been 5 years of weddings! Anyone want to discuss the recent royal brides who didn't look good on their big day? I'm adding Meghan Markle, Sofie of Sweden and Princess Madeleine to my list.

I really don't understand this thread.

Do I think that some royal brides looked better than others on their wedding days? Of course. We all have different taste when it comes to flowers, hair, fashion, make-up and lost of other things. The ones who had a wedding that comes closer to my taste is of course the ones I personally like the most.

But they do all have one thing in common. They have chosen outfits, flowers, husbands and everything else that they like. Not what other people like. And I really appreciate it when people do their own thing, even if it isn't what I would have done.

So yeah, I'll move on from here before I annoy everyone even more.

I found this thread offensive. Shaming is gross.

Last edited:
I really don't understand this thread.

Do I think that some royal brides looked better than others on their wedding days? Of course. We all have different taste when it comes to flowers, hair, fashion, make-up and lost of other things. The ones who had a wedding that comes closer to my taste is of course the ones I personally like the most.

But they do all have one thing in common. They have chosen outfits, flowers, husbands and everything else that they like. Not what other people like. And I really appreciate it when people do their own thing, even if it isn't what I would have done.

So yeah, I'll move on from here before I annoy everyone even more.

I’ll second this. To me there is a difference between "things not being my taste" and "someone looking bad". I can’t remember a single bride who I thought looked bad. Even the brides whose dresses I disliked (princess Mabel) looked great on their day.

I don't know who does it, but I hate that Princess Margaret's and Sarah, Duchess of York's gowns do not get as much media attention as Elizabeth and Diana's. Both Sarah and Margaret's gowns were better than the women who were ranked higher than them.

I adore Princess Margaret's gown...absolute perfection!

Not a fan of Diana's gown but that's been rehashed a million times and there's nothing more, really, to be said.

I thought Catherine's gown was beautiful, if a bit expected.

Meghan looked stunning while Sophie's gown just didn't seem to work. It seemed too big and she appeared uncomfortable.

CP Mary also appeared uncomfortable but again, not a fan of her dress.

CP Victoria looked beautiful. I wasn't a fan of the Cameo Tiara or the veil but the dress itself was fabulous.

Sofia's dress was pretty but just didn't seem to really fit her personality and I'm not a fan of colored stones in wedding tiaras, though that's just a personal preference.

Mabel....oh my. That dress was just....hm.

Not a fan of Madeleine's dress....I thought the top looked okay but the bottom....it almost looked like the dress was made too short and then they added on the weird ruffle thing as an afterthought.

Maxima....I actually really loved the simplicity of her dress, particularly the top half.

I really wasn't a fan of Charlene's wedding look at all.

Letizia....just no. Perfect example of the dress wearing her rather than her wearing the dress.

Princess Anne's dress was....interesting. I can't really say that I hated it but I'm not sure I loved it, either. It was certainly unique.

I wasn't a huge fan of Sarah's dress, though her tiara was gorgeous.

Camilla looked beautiful.

Sarah Armstrong-Jones' dress looked terribly uncomfortable.

Serena Stanhope....that dress was just a mess all the way around.

I understand what you guys are saying, but seeing the discussions that are sometimes held in other threads, i don't know why we couldn't have a thread were we can respectfully mention some things we like less about bridal looks
(As these forums are almost exclusively about our opinions, rather than facts, i can imagine we can have an opinion on this too)

For instance (not a royal, but noble):
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/pc/Chelsey+Davy+attends+wedding+Katie+Percy+Patrick+wlC_rrZgl7Cl.jpg
This tiara imo is not a good "fit" for Katie Percy (daughter of the Duke of Northumberland), i feel that it's somehow lopsided and imo it looks like it could fall off at any time.
I think it is probably a family tiara, it must be great tk have something like that to wear, and she looks really happy and everything on all the pics i see of her, but why o why couldn't it have been a bit more straight... :flowers:

Hey its been 5 years of weddings! Anyone want to discuss the recent royal brides who didn't look good on their big day? I'm adding Meghan Markle, Sofie of Sweden and Princess Madeleine to my list.

No because while ther are things about many brides' looks that I don't like, a woman's wedding day is special and IMO its very unkind to make a point of having a go at people whom you think "didnt' look good."
Im not a fan of Meghan Markle.. and there are points about her looks and dress that I could criticise.. but I would probably be unfair to the woman because I don't like her. I think it si fair enough to criticise details of a bride's ensemble. but to make a big point of it.. is unkind. I would not like to hear that people were criticsing MY wedding dress because it is something very special..

Last edited:

Sorry...?! Prcss Madeleine didn`t look good?! I ve hardly ever seen a more beautiful bride! What, please didn´t look goood about her....?:bang::whistling:
Meghan also looked lovely!
I`m no fan of these ladies - but one definetely cannot say they looked absolutely loveloy!

I understand what you guys are saying, but seeing the discussions that are sometimes held in other threads, i don't know why we couldn't have a thread were we can respectfully mention some things we like less about bridal looks
(As these forums are almost exclusively about our opinions, rather than facts, i can imagine we can have an opinion on this too)

When it comes to things people don’t like, respect tends to fly out the door. And since these opinions are already voiced in those respective threads, I don’t see why it needs to be repeated here. But to each their own.

Valid point, i guess this also goes for threads like "the most terrible fashion looks" (parts 1 to 4 :lol: )

I myself have less problem with these threads than for instance the thread about "most and least intelligent royal" (particularly the "least" part) or "Worst monarch of the 20th century"

Indeed, to each their own :flowers:

Wow, this is a terrible thread. I'm sure some brides don't look great or at least to my taste on their wedding day, but it's pretty mean to "ugly shame" them or whatever.

Valid point, i guess this also goes for threads like "the most terrible fashion looks" (parts 1 to 4 :lol: )

I myself have less problem with these threads than for instance the thread about "most and least intelligent royal" (particularly the "least" part) or "Worst monarch of the 20th century"

Indeed, to each their own :flowers:

I never participated in the other ones either, but isn’t "Worst monarch of the 20th century” based on, I don’t know, things they did?? You know, other than dress sense. To me that makes it bit different, it givess me the idea we are discussing facts and not mere opinions dressed up as facts.

Ideally, a woman has only one chance to be a lovely bride. And most women make an epic effort to be such a bride. Some are more successful than others. These women are neither actresses nor fashion models. But they don’t get a do-over on how to look. Every former bride on this forum would be crushed to have her wedding photo posted and judged as ‘didn’t look so good’. It’s one thing to say, ‘Princess Yaddayadda didn’t look good in that dress she wore to the ribbon-cutting yesterday’; she’ll have another ribbon to cut soon.

Why have a thread that is predicated on criticizing a woman’s appearance on the most dramatic day of her life? Or is it just another platform to criticize a Royal you may already dislike? Seems a little mean to me.

Back
Top Bottom