Least Favourite Royal Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's an excellent question, XC.

A good case in point would be the fans of Princess Mary of Denmark who have voted her as the most beautiful Royal bride of all time,(in British Hello! Magazine) even beating out..gulp!..Princess Grace of Monaco.

I mean...seriously??! :ermm:

Not a Camilla fan, but I agree that she was a lovely bride...the best she has ever looked before or since, imo.

Not a Camilla fan, but I agree that she was a lovely bride...the best she has ever looked before or since, imo.

I could not agree more. Camilla looked lovely on her wedding day, since then...well, sometimes she looks lovely! But yes, on her big day she looked lovely and her dress choices were superb.

Princess Mary? The wife of Prince Frederick? Ok I am one of the few who did like her dress and thought she looked gorgeous, but in no way was she more beautiful than Grace. I even liked Kate's dress but I still can't put it above Grace. I just don't understand why someone's popularity influences people's opinions about things that have nothing to do with their popularity.

:previous: Oh, I do agree with you. Brides (for the most part) wear what they want. I like all the royal wedding gowns, as they are all unique. What's not to like about a traditional wedding gown (even Mabel's --- which I like due to the sheer cheekiness).

And, the people who voted in those magazines probably have never seen a photo of Grace in her gown.

I agree. Her gown was crushed when she got out of the coach (I watched it live), but by the time she got up to the stairs to the Narthex, the fine silk had smoothed. She was a lovely, young bride and I had a wonderful time watching her wedding.

It has been stated many times before, that Diana's dress was wrinkled when she got out of the carriage, when she walked down the aisle, when she got to the front of the church, and only stopped being wrinkled when she came out from signing the wedding papers. Does another picture of Diana at the altar have to be posted?
http://www.forum.princess-diana.com/userpix/2_wedding_dress_03_2006_1.jpg

Last edited:
I hated Diana's gown when I first saw it and it is still not one of my favorites, but I like it better now because I understand what the designers were going for.

Diana's overall beauty and radiance that day come through in the photos...the gown has aged well which surprises me.

I still say that if she had filled it out better and if the designers had used a different fabric, it would have been an unqualified success.

I try not to judge Diana's dress with today's fashion do's and don'ts. By 97 Diana thought it was over the top as well. I thought it was nice dress for that particular time and event. There was only one woman who could wear that dress and it was Diana. I do agree that maybe if a different fabric was used and if she didn't loose so much weight it might've looked better. But I thought she looked radiant; the hair, make up, and her smile stood out the most for me.

Last edited:
I've read somewhere (MB, Forum?), in the Nineties Diana supposedly stated that she wouldn't have chosen the style of wedding dress she had, if she had the chance to do it again.

I thought Grace looked beautiful on her wedding day but,I did'nt like her headpiece.That's it.I wish she wore a tiara,I wonder why she did'nt.

kate did not look good on her wedding day and her was not pretty dress at all. Noor bint Asem her dress was not pretty at all.

princess Mary's dress I didn't like at all the top was fine but from the waist down it was a mess.

I like to distinguish between the overall-look of the bride and the look/design of the bridal gown.

Brides and bridal gowns who did not look good:
Märtha Louise, Elena, Mabel, Laurentien

Brides wearing gowns which suited them, therefore overall looking better than usual/expected: Fergie, Sophie, Camilla, Cristina, Claire, Victoria

Brides who did not look their best on their wedding days although wearing beautiful gowns (both usually very good looking but just not on their wedding days):
Catherine, Letizia

Brides who somehow managed to triumph over their awful gowns with beauty and/or personality but who can look so much better than on their wedding days:
Rania, Maxima

Brides who looked like out of a fairytale - there was something special about them - although their gowns were
a) simply awful: Diana
b) nothing special: Mathilde, Marie
c) questionable, with parts I liked and other parts I really disliked: Mette-Marit, Mary

I like to distinguish between the overall-look of the bride and the look/design of the bridal gown.

Brides and bridal gowns who did not look good:
Märtha Louise, Elena, Mabel, Laurentien

Brides wearing gowns which suited them, therefore overall looking better than usual/expected: Fergie, Sophie, Camilla, Cristina, Claire, Victoria

Brides who did not look their best on their wedding days although wearing beautiful gowns (both usually very good looking but just not on their wedding days):
Catherine, Letizia

Brides who somehow managed to triumph over their awful gowns with beauty and/or personality but who can look so much better than on their wedding days:
Rania, Maxima

Brides who looked like out of a fairytale - there was something special about them - although their gowns were
c) questionable, with parts I liked and other parts I really disliked: Mette-Marit, Mary

I think if you want to ask who wore a wedding dress that perfectly reflects the wearer's personality, number one would be Mabel. I love Mabel, I think she has got guts to stay true to herself and that dress, bows and all, was PERFECT for her!!!! I always have had a soft spot for Mabel, plus she is very intelligent.

princess Mary's dress I didn't like at all the top was fine but from the waist down it was a mess.

I agree. As soon as I saw her get out of the car I thought "what the hell does she have on". All that heavy fabric hanging around her waist looked gruesome. Then there was the too big hair and the too small tiara that was lost in the veil. I bet this is one dress she truly regrets. I sincerely doubt any bride would want to copy that look.

I like to distinguish between the overall-look of the bride and the look/design of the bridal gown. Brides and bridal gowns who did not look good: ...Brides wearing gowns which suited them, therefore overall looking better than usual/expected: ...Brides who did not look their best on their wedding days although wearing beautiful gowns ...
Brides who somehow managed to triumph over their awful gowns with beauty and/or personality but who can look so much better than on their wedding days:...Brides who looked like out of a fairytale - there was something special about them - although their gowns were

Wow, that is a lot of glass half empty analysis.
I like to cut the bride some slack and try to like her choices. ;)

Diana's supposedly wrinkled gown never bothered me. I was her hairdo which bothered me.
However, I was a bride a couple of year later and as may brides of that era, MT of Lux, the 2 belguim princesses, marie astrid and margaraetha to name afew, we hared the fshion statement of the times.

I am partial to all things Lux, so my appreciation of Tessy's wedding gown can be sneaked in here. It was light weight, not heavy, but girlish (and not over done or over decorated like Diana's or Mabel's). She and most of the family were filled with radiance, seeing that their story was having a happy chapter for everyone, and the light gown reflected this.
So should I add anything about gowns I don't like? I have not been watching gowns as long as some of you, so I have really few complaints...I have not seen Mabel's bow-frantica.
I thought Kate's gown was not at all stylish, but a masterpiece of expressing the choreography of the total wedding, with it's deeply traditional music. It was a very old fashioned gown for a woman of another era even before the Tudor era, whenever there was an era that appreciated simple sincerity. Whether the British royals are that sincere really, I don't know, but the drama was magnificent, culminating in the choral piece immediately after the vows, which was like a heartfelt prayer from the deep medieval era (although written in the modern era).

I like the puff thing on the bottom of Sybilla's gown, as it looks like she's floating on a cloud--I have noticed this cloud effect on other brides, but didn't take notes so I can't be sure, but I think Alice of Gloucester had a cloud, perhaps Princess Marina. And others.

Catherine Cambridge is a perfect example of someone who could have looked so much better on her wedding day. :ermm:

An elegant upsweep instead of those limp half-curls, more flattering makeup, about five extra pounds of body weight so that her chest did not look so bony and concave.

Princess Caroline at her first wedding in 1978 was so youthful and pretty that her disappointing wedding dress was not the first thing you noticed.

Ditto Princess Paola of Belgium in 1959...breathtakingly young and beautiful so she overcame her ill-fitting wedding dress, just like Diana did in 1981.

Catherine Cambridge is a perfect example of someone who could have looked so much better on her wedding day. :ermm:

An elegant upsweep instead of those limp half-curls, more flattering makeup, about five extra pounds of body weight so that her chest did not look so bony and concave.

Princess Caroline at her first wedding in 1978 was so youthful and pretty that her disappointing wedding dress was not the first thing you noticed.

Ditto Princess Paola of Belgium in 1959...breathtakingly young and beautiful so she overcame her ill-fitting wedding dress, just like Diana did in 1981.

When I got married, in 1989, I was not sure what to do with my hair. The hair stylist asked me how I normally wore my hair, how I wore it the most comfortably. She said it was important to "be yourself" even if it is a wedding, and to be comfortable. I wore my hair down and I was glad I did, I did not want to "fuss" over a complicated hairstyle all day. I also wore it down because that is how my now husband liked it best, and I believed it photographed best down. I could be wrong, but I read that William prefers Kate's hair down. I must say, she has such beautiful hair, I am jealous!

Kate indeed has incredible hair, as does Luxembourg's new Princess Stephanie.

The difference is that Stephanie had wedding day hair...hair that helped to transform her into the fairy princess bride she was on her big day.

In Kate's official wedding photos her face and hair look so...average. What makes it even more frustrating is that she has subsequently been seen at formal evening occasions with her hair in some beautiful, elegant chignons...exactly as it could and should have appeared at her wedding.

She had her whole life to wear her hair down if her husband likes it that way...I just think on a woman's wedding day she should not wear her hair just like it's any other day. And that is what Kate did.

You would never know she had such gorgeous hair from her wedding day photos...it's just hanging there limp.

Last edited:
Kate indeed has incredible hair, as does Luxembourg's new Princess Stephanie.

The difference is that Stephanie had wedding day hair...hair that helped to transform her into the fairy princess bride she was on her big day.

In Kate's official wedding photos her face and hair look so...average. What makes it even more frustrating is that she has subsequently been seen at formal evening occasions with her hair in some beautiful, elegant chignons...exactly as it could and should have appeared at her wedding.

She had her whole life to wear her hair down if her husband likes it that way...I just think on a woman's wedding day she should not wear her hair just like it's any other day. And that is what Kate did.

You would never know she had such gorgeous hair from her wedding day photos...it's just hanging there limp.

I agree on that one - she seems to be almost afraid to wear it up. I wonder why? Insecurity?

:previous: Since it is an ever lengthening curtain to hide behind I think you have hit the nail squarely on the head. :sad:

I think Brides should wear their hair how they feel most comfortable with it. I hate this idea that you need to wear your hair up or it's not elegant enough. There are plenty of brides who wore their hair down who looked great and brides who wore their hair up who looked horrible. The problem with Kate's hair on her wedding day was t that she wore it down but the way it was styled; I believe she should have had a professional do it and hand ringlets in her face rather than the side sweeped bang; or word it curled and over one shoulder. And I still to this day don't see a problem with Diana's hair.
One problem both Sarah and Kate had is their hair was too short for it to look good with the type of curls they went for.

I agree that brides should wear their hair the way they feel most comfortable with but an updo doesn't have to be difficult nor constricting. Especially in the past few years, fashion has become far more minimalistic and simpl; focusing on comfort. This includes make-up and hair.

Recently Rixa of Oldenburg .. her mother Princess Cecile looked perfect , but her daughter!!

Don't want to get this thread bogged down in hair debate, but how you style your hair is such a major part of the image you have of yourself - when a friend says they like a hairstyle and you don't think it suits you, no amount of compliments makes you think differently. My point being, that on your wedding day, you wear the style you perceive suits you best and in Catherine's case, I think she likes how she looks with her hair down ( and perhaps William does too) so no amount of friendly "advice" would have convinced her otherwise.

Maybe the reason Kate had such a beautiful expression on her wedding day was because she felt beautiful. It doesn't matter how you wear your hair, do your makeup, or how long your train might be, if you feel like a museum display rather than a person, it's going to show in your expression. I'd rather see a few things missing than see an unhappy-looking bride (*coughCharlenecough*).

As did her mother-in-law Diana's hair; i read that they hadn't taken the tiara into account; it flattened her fringe.

Back
Top Bottom