The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Royal Weddings General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #441  
Old 09-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: san francisco, United States
Posts: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
I have to take exception to the "ill-fitting veil" portion of this monologue. The veil fit fine. It may have appeared to be off-kilter because of her hairstyle, but it is not a normal veil that you'd see a bride wear, in that's it's longer than it is wide. So, it's like a long lace runner you'd put on your table.

I can see no other way for her to wear it other than how she did.
Well, I can. Just look at the pictures of for example her mother in law as a bride, Margarethe, and how much better the veil, which is the same veil, fit on her. I think that Mary's hairdo was a bit too high in the back, that's why, in my opinion, the veil looked weirdly ill fitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
And why didn't you like her dress? Seeing as she had this 100-year old veil on her head, huge earrings and diamond tiara, a simple dress was the right way to go AND it flattered her figure. She didn't need some overdone cupcake dress (see: Mabel).
I liked the top of her dress just fine. As for the flaps on the skirt, let's just say that I think that that looked infinitely better on the sketch of the dress, than the actual end result.
And as for Mabel: I agree to disagree here. Not a fan of bows myself, but I can kindof think them away, after which an exquisite designed dress emerges, much better executed than Mary's.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #442  
Old 09-27-2006, 05:24 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: johanesburg, South Africa
Posts: 98
i liked the cut of mabel dress and tats about it!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #443  
Old 10-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Lady Bluffton's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bluffton, United States
Posts: 348
CP Mary looked either extraordinarily nervous or like an ice queen. Why didn't she let that lace table runner veil drop off the back of her hair bun (like Princess Margaret)? It wouldn't have been so funny looking.

Personally, I really like her dress. I thought it was a great way to showcase the old lace peeking out from under the panels. The three-quarter sleeves were to die for, and very flattering.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #444  
Old 10-04-2006, 08:45 AM
LadyK's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cincinnati, United States
Posts: 1,959
I think CP Mary was just very nervous, obviously, but more importantly, ivory is not her color! The color seemed to wash her out- she was so pale, her skin matching her dress.

Mary's Dress looked (IMO) prettier in the designer's drawing. Check out the Wedding dress sketches thread in "Old, New, Royal and Blue."
__________________
The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Reply With Quote
  #445  
Old 10-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: n, France
Posts: 610
Quote:
The three-quarter sleeves were to die for, and very flattering.
Yes! Very nice cut!!

Quote:
Mary's Dress looked (IMO) prettier in the designer's drawing.
Yes also. I think it's because the dress seemed a bit too large on her shoulders...and the lace panels looked different on the drawings.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #446  
Old 10-11-2006, 05:28 AM
RubyPrincess168's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sun Prairie, United States
Posts: 1,619
I think most royal wedding dresses can be excused in one way or another - except for Princess Mabel's Bow Monstroscity! I think she was trying to be visible to the astronauts in the International Space Station.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #447  
Old 10-17-2006, 05:05 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: johanesburg, South Africa
Posts: 98
did anyone see lord of the dance wifes dress. now that is what u call stunning and understated elegance~
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #448  
Old 10-17-2006, 05:21 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
I think CP Mary was just very nervous, obviously, but more importantly, ivory is not her color! The color seemed to wash her out- she was so pale, her skin matching her dress.

Mary's Dress looked (IMO) prettier in the designer's drawing. Check out the Wedding dress sketches thread in "Old, New, Royal and Blue."
I loved Mary's dress and I think, they vere better than Mathilde's or Maxima's. I just think color of dress was wonderful, and she looked like true princess in her wedding day.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #449  
Old 10-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ......, Argentina
Posts: 1,383
I was looking at this thread and found so many ugly dresses, it´s hard to choose the worst: Kalina of Bulgaria, M. Chantal, Soraya, Diana, Sayako(who is she?), Astrid of Liechtenstein,Laura Ponte. And the winner is Mabel!!!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #450  
Old 10-22-2006, 12:53 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: , Canada
Posts: 1,692
Sayako is the youngest daughter of the Emperor and Empress of Japan. You can find information on her in the Imprerial Family of Japan thread. Here is a link to her latest news: Sayako Kuroda (Princess Sayako): Current Events
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #451  
Old 10-23-2006, 02:38 PM
Penny Lane's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 29 Palms, United States
Posts: 320
Disater's-no way around it
Kalina of Bulgeria
Laura Ponte
Gloria Von Schoenburg
Maria Cantel

Pretty/beautiful women not looking their best
Astrid of Belgium -a beautiful woman but a horrible dress mainly the sleeves

Diana-I didn't like it in 1981 and I like it even less now and her hair was too lat and limp that day.It's too bad a pretty woman who looked great 99% of the time-but not her wedding day.

Grace of Monaco-I will get heat for this one but she looked too rigid in it and they way her hair was fixed was too severe.Beautiful woman but she looked too pulled together.

Rania-didn't like the hair or the dress but she is a beautiful stylish woman no doubt.

Annette-mainly it's the ill fitting dress she's quite pretty herself.

Princess Alexandra -too much dress on too little bride the looked is so boxy.

Mabel-lose the bows and she might not make the list

Masako-love her but her beauty is hidden and the dress looks like it was made for a doll

Serena Lindly-don't like the hair at all ,not crazy about the dress either.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #452  
Old 10-23-2006, 09:51 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: san francisco, United States
Posts: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Lane

Pretty/beautiful women not looking their best
Astrid of Belgium -a beautiful woman but a horrible dress mainly the sleeves

Diana-I didn't like it in 1981 and I like it even less now and her hair was too lat and limp that day.It's too bad a pretty woman who looked great 99% of the time-but not her wedding day.

Grace of Monaco-I will get heat for this one but she looked too rigid in it and they way her hair was fixed was too severe.Beautiful woman but she looked too pulled together.

Rania-didn't like the hair or the dress but she is a beautiful sylish woman no doubt.

Annette-mainly it's the ill fitting dress she' quite pretty herself.

Princess Alexandra -too much dress on too little bride the looke is so boxy.

Mabel-lose the bows and she might not make the list

Masako-love her but her beauty is hidden and the dress looks like it was made for a doll

Serena Lindly-don't like the hair at all ,not crazy about the dress either.
Agree with all of your points, although I still do love Grace as a bride. But indeed,

*princess Alexandra, such a petite woman, such a pudgy look, how did they manage that?! Again, that afro hairdo didn't help things either!
*Masako: sometimes I want to ring these Japanese royal bride's necks: they have such a cool culture that's entirely their own, and what do they do? As if Masako's green traditional japanese bridal kimono that day wasn't enough, she went and changed clothes and voila, out came a bad bad bad copy of the Diana dress, sans sleeves this time, but even cheesier a version than the Diana version! As if the Japanese household said: what they can do in the West, we can do better! Ugh. Stick to what you do well people!

*And Serena Linley--an overrated bride if there ever was one, the fabrics of the skirt and jacket didn't match at all, she looked like she was mocking her mom in law's bridal dress in stead of paying tribute! Plus she seemed quite an aloof bride too, on top of it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #453  
Old 10-23-2006, 09:55 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: san francisco, United States
Posts: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
I think CP Mary was just very nervous, obviously, but more importantly, ivory is not her color! The color seemed to wash her out- she was so pale, her skin matching her dress.
Very good point. She should have stuck to snow-white, like Mabel did and Martha Louise and Mette Marit, all pale girls like Mary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
Mary's Dress looked (IMO) prettier in the designer's drawing. Check out the Wedding dress sketches thread in "Old, New, Royal and Blue."
Absolutely true. The dress in that sketch was a vision! The real thing however was a wash-out compared to the drawing! And that veil: it hung weirdly thanks to the high up hairdo.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #454  
Old 10-24-2006, 01:14 AM
lise's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: somewhere in, Australia
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Very good point. She should have stuck to snow-white, like Mabel did and Martha Louise and Mette Marit, all pale girls like Mary.

Absolutely true. The dress in that sketch was a vision! The real thing however was a wash-out compared to the drawing! And that veil: it hung weirdly thanks to the high up hairdo.
Another thing about Mary's dress is the tiara I had to look closely at the pictures to see it. The sketches of Mary's dress were beautiful.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #455  
Old 10-24-2006, 01:17 AM
Penny Lane's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 29 Palms, United States
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Agree with all of your points, although I still do love Grace as a bride. But indeed,

*princess Alexandra, such a petite woman, such a pudgy look, how did they manage that?! Again, that afro hairdo didn't help things either!
*Masako: sometimes I want to ring these Japanese royal bride's necks: they have such a cool culture that's entirely their own, and what do they do? As if Masako's green traditional japanese bridal kimono that day wasn't enough, she went and changed clothes and voila, out came a bad bad bad copy of the Diana dress, sans sleeves this time, but even cheesier a version than the Diana version! As if the Japanese household said: what they can do in the West, we can do better! Ugh. Stick to what you do well people!

*And Serena Linley--an overrated bride if there ever was one, the fabrics of the skirt and jacket didn't match at all, she looked like she was mocking her mom in law's bridal dress in stead of paying tribute! Plus she seemed quite an aloof bride too, on top of it.
Grace was a beautiful bride but I think they should have taken look at how beautiful but real she looked in Rear Window that could have inspired them to show off Grace looking as breathtaking as she was in that film.I think a bit more of Grace's natural elegance showing through would have made her a hard act to top.
Masako such a pretty woman but that is completely lost in this sad wedding disater.
Serena Linley-overrated yes.I do think Princess Margare was a striking bride with a beautiful gown.Her daughter Lady Sarah had one of my favorite wedding dresses.
Alexandra would have looked great in a flowing,simple gown.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #456  
Old 10-24-2006, 03:57 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: johanesburg, South Africa
Posts: 98
serena dress was too out ther, it was like huge and I didnt like it!

Im nt 2 crazy abt Masako as well bt her Sister iN laws dress was great!!!

The one who had a son recently?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #457  
Old 10-24-2006, 06:47 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 467
I was looking at the dresses of Princess Masako and Princess Kiko. It looks like both dresses are made form the same fabric?

http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?image=48jt.jpg (Princess Masako)

http://img357.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kikoa11yf.jpg (Princess Kiko)

The difference is that Masako looks like she is wearing a jacket as well.

Is is possibly the same dress?? (Just a query)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #458  
Old 10-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: san francisco, United States
Posts: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyS
I was looking at the dresses of Princess Masako and Princess Kiko. It looks like both dresses are made form the same fabric?

http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?image=48jt.jpg (Princess Masako)

http://img357.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kikoa11yf.jpg (Princess Kiko)

The difference is that Masako looks like she is wearing a jacket as well.

Is is possibly the same dress?? (Just a query)
oh my god it's the same dress but reworked!! Kudo's for spotting!! It's so bizar!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #459  
Old 10-24-2006, 11:16 PM
crisscross1's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
oh my god it's the same dress but reworked!! Kudo's for spotting!! It's so bizar!!
You are right, it is the same dress, is that a tradition of the family?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #460  
Old 10-25-2006, 12:28 AM
Royal Highness
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 1,734
Maybe we must not laugh, for it could be a tradition in a family to wear the same wedding dress or kind of dress.

Maybe a Japanese is around hear to clear up our doubts...

Vanesa.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bride, royal weddings


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Royal Grooms Didn't Look So Good on Their Wedding Days iowabelle Royal Weddings General Discussion 35 10-28-2013 10:15 AM
British China Collectables - Royal Brides wymanda Royal Weddings General Discussion 20 04-11-2009 01:42 PM
Great Time For Royal Watchers - the coming events (visits, celebrations etc) & TV Josefine Royalty Past, Present, and Future 218 10-06-2005 05:26 AM
Sarah Ferguson, Duchess Of York: News and Photos Jacqueline Current Events Archive 170 09-23-2004 03:30 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit duchess of cambridge dutch royal history engagement fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games ottoman picture of the month poland pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:13 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]