The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Royal Weddings General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
I have to take exception to the "ill-fitting veil" portion of this monologue. The veil fit fine. It may have appeared to be off-kilter because of her hairstyle, but it is not a normal veil that you'd see a bride wear, in that's it's longer than it is wide. So, it's like a long lace runner you'd put on your table.

I can see no other way for her to wear it other than how she did.
Well, I can. Just look at the pictures of for example her mother in law as a bride, Margarethe, and how much better the veil, which is the same veil, fit on her. I think that Mary's hairdo was a bit too high in the back, that's why, in my opinion, the veil looked weirdly ill fitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
And why didn't you like her dress? Seeing as she had this 100-year old veil on her head, huge earrings and diamond tiara, a simple dress was the right way to go AND it flattered her figure. She didn't need some overdone cupcake dress (see: Mabel).
I liked the top of her dress just fine. As for the flaps on the skirt, let's just say that I think that that looked infinitely better on the sketch of the dress, than the actual end result.
And as for Mabel: I agree to disagree here. Not a fan of bows myself, but I can kindof think them away, after which an exquisite designed dress emerges, much better executed than Mary's.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:24 AM
Gentry

i liked the cut of mabel dress and tats about it!

Old 10-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Nobility

CP Mary looked either extraordinarily nervous or like an ice queen. Why didn't she let that lace table runner veil drop off the back of her hair bun (like Princess Margaret)? It wouldn't have been so funny looking.

Personally, I really like her dress. I thought it was a great way to showcase the old lace peeking out from under the panels. The three-quarter sleeves were to die for, and very flattering.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

I think CP Mary was just very nervous, obviously, but more importantly, ivory is not her color! The color seemed to wash her out- she was so pale, her skin matching her dress.

Mary's Dress looked (IMO) prettier in the designer's drawing. Check out the Wedding dress sketches thread in "Old, New, Royal and Blue."

Old 10-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
The three-quarter sleeves were to die for, and very flattering.
Yes! Very nice cut!!

Quote:
Mary's Dress looked (IMO) prettier in the designer's drawing.
Yes also. I think it's because the dress seemed a bit too large on her shoulders...and the lace panels looked different on the drawings.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:28 AM
Royal Highness

I think most royal wedding dresses can be excused in one way or another - except for Princess Mabel's Bow Monstroscity! I think she was trying to be visible to the astronauts in the International Space Station.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:05 AM
Gentry

did anyone see lord of the dance wifes dress. now that is what u call stunning and understated elegance~
Old 10-17-2006, 05:21 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
I think CP Mary was just very nervous, obviously, but more importantly, ivory is not her color! The color seemed to wash her out- she was so pale, her skin matching her dress.

Mary's Dress looked (IMO) prettier in the designer's drawing. Check out the Wedding dress sketches thread in "Old, New, Royal and Blue."
I loved Mary's dress and I think, they vere better than Mathilde's or Maxima's. I just think color of dress was wonderful, and she looked like true princess in her wedding day.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Serene Highness

I was looking at this thread and found so many ugly dresses, it´s hard to choose the worst: Kalina of Bulgaria, M. Chantal, Soraya, Diana, Sayako(who is she?), Astrid of Liechtenstein,Laura Ponte. And the winner is Mabel!!!!!
Old 10-22-2006, 12:53 AM
Royal Highness

Sayako is the youngest daughter of the Emperor and Empress of Japan. You can find information on her in the Imprerial Family of Japan thread. Here is a link to her latest news: Sayako Kuroda (Princess Sayako): Current Events
Old 10-23-2006, 02:38 PM
Nobility

Disater's-no way around it
Kalina of Bulgeria
Laura Ponte
Gloria Von Schoenburg
Maria Cantel

Pretty/beautiful women not looking their best
Astrid of Belgium -a beautiful woman but a horrible dress mainly the sleeves

Diana-I didn't like it in 1981 and I like it even less now and her hair was too lat and limp that day.It's too bad a pretty woman who looked great 99% of the time-but not her wedding day.

Grace of Monaco-I will get heat for this one but she looked too rigid in it and they way her hair was fixed was too severe.Beautiful woman but she looked too pulled together.

Rania-didn't like the hair or the dress but she is a beautiful stylish woman no doubt.

Annette-mainly it's the ill fitting dress she's quite pretty herself.

Princess Alexandra -too much dress on too little bride the looked is so boxy.

Mabel-lose the bows and she might not make the list

Masako-love her but her beauty is hidden and the dress looks like it was made for a doll

Serena Lindly-don't like the hair at all ,not crazy about the dress either.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Lane

Pretty/beautiful women not looking their best
Astrid of Belgium -a beautiful woman but a horrible dress mainly the sleeves

Diana-I didn't like it in 1981 and I like it even less now and her hair was too lat and limp that day.It's too bad a pretty woman who looked great 99% of the time-but not her wedding day.

Grace of Monaco-I will get heat for this one but she looked too rigid in it and they way her hair was fixed was too severe.Beautiful woman but she looked too pulled together.

Rania-didn't like the hair or the dress but she is a beautiful sylish woman no doubt.

Annette-mainly it's the ill fitting dress she' quite pretty herself.

Princess Alexandra -too much dress on too little bride the looke is so boxy.

Mabel-lose the bows and she might not make the list

Masako-love her but her beauty is hidden and the dress looks like it was made for a doll

Serena Lindly-don't like the hair at all ,not crazy about the dress either.
Agree with all of your points, although I still do love Grace as a bride. But indeed,

*princess Alexandra, such a petite woman, such a pudgy look, how did they manage that?! Again, that afro hairdo didn't help things either!
*Masako: sometimes I want to ring these Japanese royal bride's necks: they have such a cool culture that's entirely their own, and what do they do? As if Masako's green traditional japanese bridal kimono that day wasn't enough, she went and changed clothes and voila, out came a bad bad bad copy of the Diana dress, sans sleeves this time, but even cheesier a version than the Diana version! As if the Japanese household said: what they can do in the West, we can do better! Ugh. Stick to what you do well people!

*And Serena Linley--an overrated bride if there ever was one, the fabrics of the skirt and jacket didn't match at all, she looked like she was mocking her mom in law's bridal dress in stead of paying tribute! Plus she seemed quite an aloof bride too, on top of it.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Very good point. She should have stuck to snow-white, like Mabel did and Martha Louise and Mette Marit, all pale girls like Mary.

Quote:
Absolutely true. The dress in that sketch was a vision! The real thing however was a wash-out compared to the drawing! And that veil: it hung weirdly thanks to the high up hairdo.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:14 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Very good point. She should have stuck to snow-white, like Mabel did and Martha Louise and Mette Marit, all pale girls like Mary.

Absolutely true. The dress in that sketch was a vision! The real thing however was a wash-out compared to the drawing! And that veil: it hung weirdly thanks to the high up hairdo.
Another thing about Mary's dress is the tiara I had to look closely at the pictures to see it. The sketches of Mary's dress were beautiful.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:17 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Agree with all of your points, although I still do love Grace as a bride. But indeed,

*princess Alexandra, such a petite woman, such a pudgy look, how did they manage that?! Again, that afro hairdo didn't help things either!
*Masako: sometimes I want to ring these Japanese royal bride's necks: they have such a cool culture that's entirely their own, and what do they do? As if Masako's green traditional japanese bridal kimono that day wasn't enough, she went and changed clothes and voila, out came a bad bad bad copy of the Diana dress, sans sleeves this time, but even cheesier a version than the Diana version! As if the Japanese household said: what they can do in the West, we can do better! Ugh. Stick to what you do well people!

*And Serena Linley--an overrated bride if there ever was one, the fabrics of the skirt and jacket didn't match at all, she looked like she was mocking her mom in law's bridal dress in stead of paying tribute! Plus she seemed quite an aloof bride too, on top of it.
Grace was a beautiful bride but I think they should have taken look at how beautiful but real she looked in Rear Window that could have inspired them to show off Grace looking as breathtaking as she was in that film.I think a bit more of Grace's natural elegance showing through would have made her a hard act to top.
Masako such a pretty woman but that is completely lost in this sad wedding disater.
Serena Linley-overrated yes.I do think Princess Margare was a striking bride with a beautiful gown.Her daughter Lady Sarah had one of my favorite wedding dresses.
Alexandra would have looked great in a flowing,simple gown.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:57 AM
Gentry

serena dress was too out ther, it was like huge and I didnt like it!

Im nt 2 crazy abt Masako as well bt her Sister iN laws dress was great!!!

The one who had a son recently?
Old 10-24-2006, 06:47 AM
Nobility

I was looking at the dresses of Princess Masako and Princess Kiko. It looks like both dresses are made form the same fabric?

http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?image=48jt.jpg (Princess Masako)

http://img357.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kikoa11yf.jpg (Princess Kiko)

The difference is that Masako looks like she is wearing a jacket as well.

Is is possibly the same dress?? (Just a query)
Old 10-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyS
I was looking at the dresses of Princess Masako and Princess Kiko. It looks like both dresses are made form the same fabric?

http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?image=48jt.jpg (Princess Masako)

http://img357.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kikoa11yf.jpg (Princess Kiko)

The difference is that Masako looks like she is wearing a jacket as well.

Is is possibly the same dress?? (Just a query)
oh my god it's the same dress but reworked!! Kudo's for spotting!! It's so bizar!!
Old 10-24-2006, 11:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
oh my god it's the same dress but reworked!! Kudo's for spotting!! It's so bizar!!
You are right, it is the same dress, is that a tradition of the family?
Old 10-25-2006, 12:28 AM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Maybe we must not laugh, for it could be a tradition in a family to wear the same wedding dress or kind of dress.

Maybe a Japanese is around hear to clear up our doubts...

Vanesa.

Tags
bride, royal weddings