The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Royal Weddings General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornsen
I´m sorry to say that: but the bride herself is ugly. The dress is doing the rest.
Hey! It wasn't nice! Kalina isn't ugly!
Outward appearance isn't everything - for many that what is inside the person is more important than other things!

Old 05-17-2006, 04:43 AM
Gentry

yah, dont be so mean, i think she look nice~

Old 05-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I´m sorry to say that: but the bride herself is ugly. The dress is doing the rest.
That's a bit rude I think and besides - look at her husband - why would she go out of her way to glam up?
Old 05-17-2006, 12:48 PM
Courtier

Ok ok, excuse me please. I didn´t want to cause a stir...
Old 05-22-2006, 06:54 AM
Gentry

here is the link to pics of lindy rama:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...gs-9483-2.html

http://4dw.net/royalark/Laos/laos5.htm
Old 05-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Ok ok, excuse me please. I didn´t want to cause a stir...
Don't apologise. You're not the first person to believe Kalina is unattractive, and I seriously doubt you'll be the last. I agree that she didn't look especially wonderful on her wedding day -- she herself isn't especially (outwardly) beautiful, and the dress might have worked better in a lighter, thinner fabric.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:44 PM
Aristocracy

Eugenia Martinez de Irujo (daughter of the Duchess of Alba) looked bad on her wedding. I mean, her veil looked so misplaced and the tiara was too big for her.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...98-a-9329.html
Old 05-31-2006, 12:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solange
Eugenia Martinez de Irujo (daughter of the Duchess of Alba) looked bad on her wedding. I mean, her veil looked so misplaced and the tiara was too big for her.
Well, veil was quite ok, but I agree that the tiara was too big.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
Well, veil was quite ok, but I agree that the tiara was too big.
yes, the tiara was one of the biggest I've ever seen and she's quite short so it looked like her neck would crumble in any moment
Old 06-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Gentry

the dress and veil are lovely but the crown, com on!!!!!
Old 06-01-2006, 10:10 PM
Royal Highness

Wow, that dress was certainly very low cut, for a bridal gown.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:28 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
That tiara looks like a tiara you would see in a movie- its a little gaudy (maybe too big?) Its pretty & different, but I don't think it suits the wedding dress. The dress kind of looks like Lady Sarah (Armstrong-Jones) Chatto's wedding dress (which I kind of liked).

Old 06-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Commoner

I thought her dress and veil were beautiful. I think the tiara would have looked a lot better if the base were covered with something that matched her hair color. That dark brown covering is too obvious.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefertiti
I think the tiara would have looked a lot better if the base were covered with something that matched her hair color.
Or with the dress and vail f.ex. like these of the late Princess Margaret or the Duchess de Alba's first wedding dress.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh I have just discovered this thread. Wow!

From the moment that Diana's carriage came into view I thought ..Whaaat is that? When she tumbled out like an exploding merainge I thought it couldn't get any worse. But no, there was the veil (ugh), the oversized tiara and that awful awful overlong fringe falling in her eyes. As for the creases? As previously posted.... without it fashion in the eighties might never have plumbed such deep and ghastly depths.

Letitzia. Well, least said soonest mended. After her faboulous triumph of style, chic, class at Fredrik and Mary's wedding I was looking for something wonderful. But no. Zip that oversized collar higher and leave off the tiara and she would have looked like a nun! She was getting married not having a stylearectomy! :(

As for Queen Sylvia's tiara, well as she became not only a wife, but a Queen I guess they were going for the 'Crown' or coronation look. She emerged from the church a 'Queen', so maybe not such a bad look.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
From the moment that Diana's carriage came into view I thought ..Whaaat is that? When she tumbled out like an exploding merainge I thought it couldn't get any worse.
LOL ! You reminded me of a line from Four Weddings and A Funeral, in the first wedding, one girl was praising the bride's dress. A lady next to her said something like "She looks like a merainge". Almost everyone who wrote something about that dress from that time was fawning over it and that 25-foot train.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:26 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
Oh I have just discovered this thread. Wow!

From the moment that Diana's carriage came into view I thought ..Whaaat is that? When she tumbled out like an exploding merainge I thought it couldn't get any worse. But no, there was the veil (ugh), the oversized tiara and that awful awful overlong fringe falling in her eyes. As for the creases? As previously posted.... without it fashion in the eighties might never have plumbed such deep and ghastly depths.

Letitzia. Well, least said soonest mended. After her faboulous triumph of style, chic, class at Fredrik and Mary's wedding I was looking for something wonderful. But no. Zip that oversized collar higher and leave off the tiara and she would have looked like a nun! She was getting married not having a stylearectomy! :(

As for Queen Sylvia's tiara, well as she became not only a wife, but a Queen I guess they were going for the 'Crown' or coronation look. She emerged from the church a 'Queen', so maybe not such a bad look.
Completely agree with your whole post except two minor points.

But firs t of, yes, when I watched Diana coming out of that coach in 1981, on tv natch, my reaction to her outfit was sheer horror rather than gushing admiration.

Many many posters have argued that Diana's dress was great at the time 'as it was the eighties, and that was the fashion', but where I lived, fashion-wise the eighties had hardly begun, and I was still favoring seventies slinkiness to eighties puffiness. Diana singlehandedly made that eighties look 'de rigeur', and it's a miracle that considering this, I still liked the woman as much as I always did. (well of course her unparallelled charisma and down to earth attitude helped!)

As for Letizia, yes what a disappointment! Her hair was terrible, looked like it hadn't been washed in weeks. And the dress in and of itself was ok, but the girl is tiny and it made her look like she was a child playing dress up but drowning in the cloth instead. Of course it was intended to make her look taller, but she still looked like a tiny shrimp compared to her giant groom..
Plus somehow, her chin and nose stood out and looked gigantic...plus the embroiderments on the dress looked cheesy instead of classy. Compared to especially her sister in law's bridal gown, Letizia's was a definite disappointment.

And Silvia..she was one of the first royal brides I was aware of, so I thought she was just marvelous. I actually liked her 'coronation look', as indeed, the moment she exchanged vows with Carl Gustav, she was queen of the Swedes! So it was a coronation of sorts! I also loved her veil. And the dress..well to me, that was secondary..

I also disagree with Diana's tiara being too large. I thought the thing was beautiful, the only beautiful look the whole outfit featured, in my opinion. Besides of course the beauty of the bride. Even the terrible hair cut under the tiara, and the fact the hair fell flat under the weight of the thing, couldn't dampen Diana's beauty. What a royal bride.

Sorry to be harsh on Kate Middleton but if she'll be Will's bride, she'll have a hard time topping Diana, wedding-karma-wise, despite Di's dress being one of the ugliest nuptial concoctions ever.

As for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefertiti
I thought her dress and veil were beautiful. I think the tiara would have looked a lot better if the base were covered with something that matched her hair color. That dark brown covering is too obvious.
I think this was a case of "Revenge of the Mother", who said, before the wedding, "oh dahhlingg, you ARE going to wear the lovely family tiara, are you not?"

Without that tiara, this would have been a fantastic bride, with an exquisite veil, and a stunning and sexy dress!

That tiara ruined it! But of course, her mother probably paid for the whole wedding houpla, so the bride didn't have a choice...
by the way..the mother of the bride looks like a giant and the bride is very petite. Possible of course, but a bit different?
Old 06-03-2006, 01:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
I think this was a case of "Revenge of the Mother", who said, before the wedding, "oh dahhlingg, you ARE going to wear the lovely family tiara, are you not?"
LOL!! I think the tiara won't have looked so overwhelming with a different hair-do, like the tiara sitting in her hair instead of perched near her forehead.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:22 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas
LOL!! I think the tiara won't have looked so overwhelming with a different hair-do, like the tiara sitting in her hair instead of perched near her forehead.
Very true. Which begs the question: WHAT was she thinking?!!
Old 06-03-2006, 02:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Very true. Which begs the question: WHAT was she thinking?!!
What were any of them thinking?

One after another we have seen stylish, confident, chic women turned into the 'Blob'. Indistinguishable from each other and their fomer public persona's.

Is it just me, or, (do do do do do do) .....you are now entering the twilight zone where TPTB of Royal Houses ( and not so royal houses) have persuaded these vibrant women to become "the epitomy of the perfect princess" a la Stepford wives in reverse. From chic to shriek! From class to calamity! All calm, perfect, inanimate, not making any waves, sometimes even barely smiling.

In short, most have been persuaded (against their better judgment I believe) that others know best. And we have seen the ghastly results! Ugh!

Its like their weddings are destined to destroy any self confidence any of them may have had the audacity to display. :(

We have discussed at length to overpowering machine that runs the Japanese Royal Family and seen it's disasterous results. My question is, is the same thing happening in Europe only on a more suble and sinister level? I just can't figure it out. How can so many vivacious, chic, classy women suddenly emerge at "the wedding" like something from a fashion faux pas dictionay?

So I put it to you Princess Olga, that in fact none of 'them' were thinking!

Tags
bride, royal weddings