The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #321  
Old 02-15-2006, 09:30 AM
hofburg's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by hania
what makes u say that about Mary?
well, She is a lovely lady, don't get me wrong. However, her skirt was quite a mess with all those "aprons". Actually, come to think of it, nothing worked for her: her hair, tiara etc.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #322  
Old 02-15-2006, 06:25 PM
Avalon's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg
well, She is a lovely lady, don't get me wrong. However, her skirt was quite a mess with all those "aprons". Actually, come to think of it, nothing worked for her: her hair, tiara etc.
Daring to enrage most of the people here, I also must admit that I didn't like Mary's dress at all :o , and I did like Letizia's dress:) . But both ceremonies were lovely, and apart from Mary's dress, everything else was really good, and I wasn't looking at her dress that much, I was much more concentrated on her happy face.:)
__________________

__________________
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Reply With Quote
  #323  
Old 02-15-2006, 11:18 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 143
I actually like Mary's dress very much. I loved especially the neckline and the sleeves. At first I was not to sure about the skirt but if you look closely it does show off the 200 (?) year old lace that is made to look like an underskirt/petticoat peeping out from beneath the folds of the skirt. I think the colour - that pearl effect was great. I was not to keen on the train, I think it would have looked nicer shorter (not too much) and with a different shape - more like Alexandra her ex sister-in-laws train.

I cannot say I was overly enthused about the Tiara as it somehow got "lost" in the veil and the hairdo. BUT I still think she was a very beautiful bride and the whole wedding was a joy to watch.
__________________
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something
Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old 02-16-2006, 02:58 AM
Avalon's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
... I cannot say I was overly enthused about the Tiara as it somehow got "lost" in the veil and the hairdo. BUT I still think she was a very beautiful bride and the whole wedding was a joy to watch.
I also think she was a very beautiful bride and the wedding was very romantic. It's just the dress I didn't like. But everyone has their own opinion. If Mary liked it and felt comfortable in it, then it's ok for me.
__________________
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Reply With Quote
  #325  
Old 02-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Little_star's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajames
Who are they?

Very good looking couple! :p
That is Princess Zahra, the Aga Khan's daughter, and her husband Mark Boyden at their wedding in 1997.
__________________
Please give whatever you can to the DEC's Pakistan Floods Appeal. Millions of lives are at risk
http://www.dec.org.uk/index.html
Reply With Quote
  #326  
Old 02-16-2006, 09:23 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
That is Princess Zahra, the Aga Khan's daughter, and her husband Mark Boyden at their wedding in 1997.
Thanks Little_star :p

Zahra is very beautiful (I love her features) and Mark is very handsome too.
Do they have any children? If so I am sure they will be very good looking too!
Reply With Quote
  #327  
Old 02-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Little_star's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,605
Zahra's mother is British, Princess Salimah (although her and the Aga Khan have been divorced for years, you may remember his 2nd wife the begum Inaara). The Aga Khan is also of mixed race origins, his father was Prince Ali Solomon Khan his mother Joan Yarde-Bueller.

the following link has more info on the Aga Khan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aga_Khan_IV

Zahra and her husband have 2 children, I think. Or at least 2 that I know of!
__________________
Please give whatever you can to the DEC's Pakistan Floods Appeal. Millions of lives are at risk
http://www.dec.org.uk/index.html
Reply With Quote
  #328  
Old 02-16-2006, 09:48 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
Zahra's mother is British, Princess Salimah (although her and the Aga Khan have been divorced for years, you may remember his 2nd wife the begum Inaara). The Aga Khan is also of mixed race origins, his father was Prince Ali Solomon Khan his mother Joan Yarde-Bueller.

the following link has more info on the Aga Khan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aga_Khan_IV

Zahra and her husband have 2 children, I think. Or at least 2 that I know of!
Thanks again

Very interesting family history.

Yes, I have heard of Princess Begum, I remember thinking the name a little unusual when I first heard it.
Reply With Quote
  #329  
Old 02-17-2006, 01:20 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 143
I am hoping someone may be able to put me straight on the colour of the "motive" (would you call it that?) on the wedding dress of Letizia. In some photos it looks to be silver in colour and yet in the photos of the Wedding Dress Exhibitiion in Madrid the colour looks as though it could be gold thread. No matter the colour, the dress was really lovely, especially the neckline which reminded me of Princess Mathilde of Belgium's wedding dress.

Thank you in advance
Scott
__________________
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something
Reply With Quote
  #330  
Old 02-17-2006, 01:25 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravergirl
"If I am not mistaken, it is a bridal winter coat with the bridal dress below. The dress is revealed afterwards during the wedding banquet/party."

Oh, then that makes much more sense. Thanks:)
One of the most beautiful winter wedding dresses (coat and dress underneath) I have seen was at one of the Hapsburg weddings. I am sory I am not sure of the couples title but I think their names were Francesca Thyssen-Bornemisza (?) and Karl of Austria. I know there are photos of the wedding here on this Board. It was another very romantic wedding in the snow.

Scott
__________________
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something
Reply With Quote
  #331  
Old 02-17-2006, 12:41 PM
ravergirl's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 77
I just love winter weddings. I think that they are so romantic with the snow, especially if they are at night!
Reply With Quote
  #332  
Old 02-21-2006, 12:55 PM
mtbcm's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
I am hoping someone may be able to put me straight on the colour of the "motive" (would you call it that?) on the wedding dress of Letizia. In some photos it looks to be silver in colour and yet in the photos of the Wedding Dress Exhibitiion in Madrid the colour looks as though it could be gold thread. No matter the colour, the dress was really lovely, especially the neckline which reminded me of Princess Mathilde of Belgium's wedding dress.

Thank you in advance
Scott
Dear Scott,

Why don't you take a look at this link

You will be able to see details, kindly posted by fanletizia, of Princess Letizia wedding gown...

Or you could go and check the Princes' wedding thread (to be honest I went to pick some picture details on Princess Letizia gown but, as always, I get lost :o and in few moments I can't even remember why I got there ), but you are right, in some pictures details look silver, in other pictures details look golden.

Enjoy!!

Regards,

mtbcm :)
Reply With Quote
  #333  
Old 02-24-2006, 04:58 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbcm
Dear Scott,

Why don't you take a look at this link

You will be able to see details, kindly posted by fanletizia, of Princess Letizia wedding gown...

Or you could go and check the Princes' wedding thread (to be honest I went to pick some picture details on Princess Letizia gown but, as always, I get lost :o and in few moments I can't even remember why I got there ), but you are right, in some pictures details look silver, in other pictures details look golden.

Enjoy!!

Regards,

mtbcm :)




Thank you so much mtbcm for pointing out the two threads. They were actually the ones which confused me in the first place After looking at them again I think I will go with 51% gold to 49% Silver, as the "close up" photos definately look like gold thread. I guess the only way I could find out for sure would be to travel to Madrid and see the exhibition!!!! :)

Many thanks for your help anyway.

Regards
Scott
__________________
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something
Reply With Quote
  #334  
Old 03-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Somewhere not Interesting, Canada
Posts: 291
I will always have a special place in my heart for Diana's wrinkled dress. I remember being 6 years old and watching that wedding. She embodied everything a princess should be, that dress, though heavily creased, was still perfect for Diana.

I liked the colour of Mary's dress, but didn't like the skirt. It would have been nicer if it would have just been plain, without the folds.
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old 03-02-2006, 09:33 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
One of the most beautiful winter wedding dresses (coat and dress underneath) I have seen was at one of the Hapsburg weddings. I am sory I am not sure of the couples title but I think their names were Francesca Thyssen-Bornemisza (?) and Karl of Austria. I know there are photos of the wedding here on this Board. It was another very romantic wedding in the snow.

Scott
I do agree with you, Scott. It was a Versace gown, a true piece of couture and you can have a glimpse of it in this link:

http://www.royal-magazin.de/austria/hochzeit.htm
Reply With Quote
  #336  
Old 03-02-2006, 08:43 PM
pdas1201's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Houston, United States
Posts: 2,744
I am still a little clueless about why several members are posting their favorite wedding dress, since the thread is titled 'Brides that didn't look good on their special day.'

Please read the title of the thread and post accordingly.

pdas1201
Old, New, Royal and Blue Supermoderator
Reply With Quote
  #337  
Old 03-10-2006, 07:34 PM
HRHAmy's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 967
I don't think Yasmine who married Reza Phalavi didn't looked good at all. The dress was horrible, I know it was the 80's but still... other brides managed to look good in the 80's like Sarah Duchess of York and Diana Princess of Wales. The tiara of fake blossoms was over the top, I'm suprised she didn't get to borrow a tiara from her mother in law. Anyways this is a typical 80's wedding dress and I give it two thumbs down. I would've liked to see her in a full skirt instead of this tight one.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...8&d=1106397360
__________________
HRHAmy
Reply With Quote
  #338  
Old 03-13-2006, 07:54 AM
Little_star's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy
I don't think Yasmine who married Reza Phalavi didn't looked good at all. The dress was horrible, I know it was the 80's but still... other brides managed to look good in the 80's like Sarah Duchess of York and Diana Princess of Wales. The tiara of fake blossoms was over the top, I'm suprised she didn't get to borrow a tiara from her mother in law. Anyways this is a typical 80's wedding dress and I give it two thumbs down. I would've liked to see her in a full skirt instead of this tight one.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...8&d=1106397360
I didn't think Yasmine's dress was that bad, sure it could have been better but there's real potential for a pretty dress there.
__________________
Please give whatever you can to the DEC's Pakistan Floods Appeal. Millions of lives are at risk
http://www.dec.org.uk/index.html
Reply With Quote
  #339  
Old 03-13-2006, 01:58 PM
sydney00's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: .., Argentina
Posts: 157
i think the world was told that sophie's dressed must fit to the pages. and that the pages had costumes which looked like there were older was published because the queen mother designed them!
so i think it was a great idea of them!
Reply With Quote
  #340  
Old 03-15-2006, 03:31 AM
Olka's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy
I don't think Yasmine who married Reza Phalavi didn't looked good at all. The dress was horrible, I know it was the 80's but still... other brides managed to look good in the 80's like Sarah Duchess of York and Diana Princess of Wales. The tiara of fake blossoms was over the top, I'm suprised she didn't get to borrow a tiara from her mother in law. Anyways this is a typical 80's wedding dress and I give it two thumbs down. I would've liked to see her in a full skirt instead of this tight one.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...8&d=1106397360
:) Hard to say if she looked good or not, actually taste is a very individual thing. About the tiara - I completely agree with you an I actually wonder if Farah has any tiaras now....She had fabulous jewels while she was the Empress of Iran, but I don't think I saw her wearing a tiara after the revolution in Iran. Maybe she didn't take any with her, or she didn't buy any tiaras after that...Does anybody have a picture of Farah wearing a tiara after leaving Iran? It would be very interesting to see. :)
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bride, royal weddings


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Royal Grooms Didn't Look So Good on Their Wedding Days iowabelle Royal Weddings General Discussion 35 10-28-2013 10:15 AM
British China Collectables - Royal Brides wymanda Royal Weddings General Discussion 20 04-11-2009 01:42 PM
Great Time For Royal Watchers - the coming events (visits, celebrations etc) & TV Josefine General Royal Discussion Archive 218 10-06-2005 05:26 AM
Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 1: January 2003-September 2004 Jacqueline Current Events Archive 170 09-23-2004 03:30 PM




Popular Tags
akhenaten albania ascot 2016 austria belgian queen mathilde belgian state visit to japan best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit birthday coup d'etat crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess victoria daytime fashion denmark duchess of cambridge duchess of cornwall daytime fashion duke of cambridge family fashion poll jewels killing king abdullah ii king carl gustaf and queen silvia king willem-alexander lists member introduction monarchy new zealand norway november 2016 october 2016 picture of the week prince charles prince harken in canada princess eugenie fashion princess marie princess mary princess mary casual style princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess sofia princess stéphanie's fashion & style queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen margrethe queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania fashion queen silvia rohan family september 2016 state visit succession sweden the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats tiara uae wildlife


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:56 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises