The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hania
what makes u say that about Mary?
well, She is a lovely lady, don't get me wrong. However, her skirt was quite a mess with all those "aprons". Actually, come to think of it, nothing worked for her: her hair, tiara etc.

Old 02-15-2006, 06:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg
well, She is a lovely lady, don't get me wrong. However, her skirt was quite a mess with all those "aprons". Actually, come to think of it, nothing worked for her: her hair, tiara etc.
Daring to enrage most of the people here, I also must admit that I didn't like Mary's dress at all :o , and I did like Letizia's dress:) . But both ceremonies were lovely, and apart from Mary's dress, everything else was really good, and I wasn't looking at her dress that much, I was much more concentrated on her happy face.:)

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 02-15-2006, 11:18 PM
Aristocracy

I actually like Mary's dress very much. I loved especially the neckline and the sleeves. At first I was not to sure about the skirt but if you look closely it does show off the 200 (?) year old lace that is made to look like an underskirt/petticoat peeping out from beneath the folds of the skirt. I think the colour - that pearl effect was great. I was not to keen on the train, I think it would have looked nicer shorter (not too much) and with a different shape - more like Alexandra her ex sister-in-laws train.

I cannot say I was overly enthused about the Tiara as it somehow got "lost" in the veil and the hairdo. BUT I still think she was a very beautiful bride and the whole wedding was a joy to watch.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
... I cannot say I was overly enthused about the Tiara as it somehow got "lost" in the veil and the hairdo. BUT I still think she was a very beautiful bride and the whole wedding was a joy to watch.
I also think she was a very beautiful bride and the wedding was very romantic. It's just the dress I didn't like. But everyone has their own opinion. If Mary liked it and felt comfortable in it, then it's ok for me.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 02-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajames
Who are they?

Very good looking couple! :p
That is Princess Zahra, the Aga Khan's daughter, and her husband Mark Boyden at their wedding in 1997.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:23 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
That is Princess Zahra, the Aga Khan's daughter, and her husband Mark Boyden at their wedding in 1997.
Thanks Little_star :p

Zahra is very beautiful (I love her features) and Mark is very handsome too.
Do they have any children? If so I am sure they will be very good looking too!
Old 02-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Zahra's mother is British, Princess Salimah (although her and the Aga Khan have been divorced for years, you may remember his 2nd wife the begum Inaara). The Aga Khan is also of mixed race origins, his father was Prince Ali Solomon Khan his mother Joan Yarde-Bueller.

the following link has more info on the Aga Khan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aga_Khan_IV

Zahra and her husband have 2 children, I think. Or at least 2 that I know of!
Old 02-16-2006, 09:48 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
Zahra's mother is British, Princess Salimah (although her and the Aga Khan have been divorced for years, you may remember his 2nd wife the begum Inaara). The Aga Khan is also of mixed race origins, his father was Prince Ali Solomon Khan his mother Joan Yarde-Bueller.

the following link has more info on the Aga Khan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aga_Khan_IV

Zahra and her husband have 2 children, I think. Or at least 2 that I know of!
Thanks again

Very interesting family history.

Yes, I have heard of Princess Begum, I remember thinking the name a little unusual when I first heard it.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:20 AM
Aristocracy

I am hoping someone may be able to put me straight on the colour of the "motive" (would you call it that?) on the wedding dress of Letizia. In some photos it looks to be silver in colour and yet in the photos of the Wedding Dress Exhibitiion in Madrid the colour looks as though it could be gold thread. No matter the colour, the dress was really lovely, especially the neckline which reminded me of Princess Mathilde of Belgium's wedding dress.

Thank you in advance
Scott
Old 02-17-2006, 01:25 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravergirl
"If I am not mistaken, it is a bridal winter coat with the bridal dress below. The dress is revealed afterwards during the wedding banquet/party."

Oh, then that makes much more sense. Thanks:)
One of the most beautiful winter wedding dresses (coat and dress underneath) I have seen was at one of the Hapsburg weddings. I am sory I am not sure of the couples title but I think their names were Francesca Thyssen-Bornemisza (?) and Karl of Austria. I know there are photos of the wedding here on this Board. It was another very romantic wedding in the snow.

Scott
Old 02-17-2006, 12:41 PM
Gentry

I just love winter weddings. I think that they are so romantic with the snow, especially if they are at night!
Old 02-21-2006, 12:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I am hoping someone may be able to put me straight on the colour of the "motive" (would you call it that?) on the wedding dress of Letizia. In some photos it looks to be silver in colour and yet in the photos of the Wedding Dress Exhibitiion in Madrid the colour looks as though it could be gold thread. No matter the colour, the dress was really lovely, especially the neckline which reminded me of Princess Mathilde of Belgium's wedding dress.

Thank you in advance
Scott
Dear Scott,

Why don't you take a look at this link

You will be able to see details, kindly posted by fanletizia, of Princess Letizia wedding gown...

Or you could go and check the Princes' wedding thread (to be honest I went to pick some picture details on Princess Letizia gown but, as always, I get lost :o and in few moments I can't even remember why I got there ), but you are right, in some pictures details look silver, in other pictures details look golden.

Enjoy!!

Regards,

mtbcm :)
Old 02-24-2006, 04:58 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbcm
Dear Scott,

Why don't you take a look at this link

You will be able to see details, kindly posted by fanletizia, of Princess Letizia wedding gown...

Or you could go and check the Princes' wedding thread (to be honest I went to pick some picture details on Princess Letizia gown but, as always, I get lost :o and in few moments I can't even remember why I got there ), but you are right, in some pictures details look silver, in other pictures details look golden.

Enjoy!!

Regards,

mtbcm :)

Thank you so much mtbcm for pointing out the two threads. They were actually the ones which confused me in the first place After looking at them again I think I will go with 51% gold to 49% Silver, as the "close up" photos definately look like gold thread. I guess the only way I could find out for sure would be to travel to Madrid and see the exhibition!!!! :)

Many thanks for your help anyway.

Regards
Scott
Old 03-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Nobility

I will always have a special place in my heart for Diana's wrinkled dress. I remember being 6 years old and watching that wedding. She embodied everything a princess should be, that dress, though heavily creased, was still perfect for Diana.

I liked the colour of Mary's dress, but didn't like the skirt. It would have been nicer if it would have just been plain, without the folds.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:33 AM
Gentry

Quote:
One of the most beautiful winter wedding dresses (coat and dress underneath) I have seen was at one of the Hapsburg weddings. I am sory I am not sure of the couples title but I think their names were Francesca Thyssen-Bornemisza (?) and Karl of Austria. I know there are photos of the wedding here on this Board. It was another very romantic wedding in the snow.

Scott
I do agree with you, Scott. It was a Versace gown, a true piece of couture and you can have a glimpse of it in this link:

http://www.royal-magazin.de/austria/hochzeit.htm
Old 03-02-2006, 08:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am still a little clueless about why several members are posting their favorite wedding dress, since the thread is titled 'Brides that didn't look good on their special day.'

Please read the title of the thread and post accordingly.

pdas1201
Old, New, Royal and Blue Supermoderator
Old 03-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Courtier

I don't think Yasmine who married Reza Phalavi didn't looked good at all. The dress was horrible, I know it was the 80's but still... other brides managed to look good in the 80's like Sarah Duchess of York and Diana Princess of Wales. The tiara of fake blossoms was over the top, I'm suprised she didn't get to borrow a tiara from her mother in law. Anyways this is a typical 80's wedding dress and I give it two thumbs down. I would've liked to see her in a full skirt instead of this tight one.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...8&d=1106397360
Old 03-13-2006, 07:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy
I don't think Yasmine who married Reza Phalavi didn't looked good at all. The dress was horrible, I know it was the 80's but still... other brides managed to look good in the 80's like Sarah Duchess of York and Diana Princess of Wales. The tiara of fake blossoms was over the top, I'm suprised she didn't get to borrow a tiara from her mother in law. Anyways this is a typical 80's wedding dress and I give it two thumbs down. I would've liked to see her in a full skirt instead of this tight one.

I didn't think Yasmine's dress was that bad, sure it could have been better but there's real potential for a pretty dress there.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:58 PM
Aristocracy

i think the world was told that sophie's dressed must fit to the pages. and that the pages had costumes which looked like there were older was published because the queen mother designed them!
so i think it was a great idea of them!
Old 03-15-2006, 03:31 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy

:) Hard to say if she looked good or not, actually taste is a very individual thing. About the tiara - I completely agree with you an I actually wonder if Farah has any tiaras now....She had fabulous jewels while she was the Empress of Iran, but I don't think I saw her wearing a tiara after the revolution in Iran. Maybe she didn't take any with her, or she didn't buy any tiaras after that...Does anybody have a picture of Farah wearing a tiara after leaving Iran? It would be very interesting to see. :)

Tags
bride, royal weddings