The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Royal Weddings General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-01-2005, 05:03 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003
For me the BEST of our days : MARY of Denmark, unforgettable, full of Majesty!!!!
The worst : Letizia of Spain. It's a bad miracle, how this nice girl, who looked so stunning in both her appearances in the Danish wedding (Absolute beauty and chic!!!) and also in the eve of her own wedding (fabulous Capriley grey pearl dress) within a couple of hours, I mean the next morning she could look so bad !! Awful hair, bad vale and wrongly worn tiara, too heavy for her, made her look shorter and having a little head in the top of a big and loooong shapeless body.
Instead of making her look higher and majestuous beside the very tall Felipe (1m 97cm!!!) they made her look very short, without neck at all !!! She was giving the impression as unable to move! Poor girl, i do not know if they obliged her to take this old Pertegaz or if it was her own choice, but what a pitty!!!
As regards Diana, I've saw her dress which was exposed in Kensington Palace, when she was still alive. It's made under different fashion opinion!!
Now I can not judge it, it provokes such bad feelings !!! so no opinion!
What was so bad about Letizia's veil, tiara and hair? I thought Queen Ena's veil looked spectacular on her, as did the tiara (which was placed correctly). The weist was stressed and the dress, so her figure came out well (though not as exhuberant as in Denmark). The only thing which was not to my liking was the high colar, which made her neck disappear.

I do not agree with you about the assesment of the dress of Princess Mary. The veil was placed in a very strange manor, the tiara was hardly visible, shoulders to bare, the dress to long and what about the aprons? Luckily the lady is very charming herself, which saved the pictures.

Old 12-01-2005, 06:36 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleq
Is this the same in Denmark, Germany, Sweden and Norway?
No in Denmark you have either a civil wedding or a church wedding.
You are legaly married with a civil wedding and legaly married with a church wedding.
You can also have both but most common is still the church wedding i suppose.
The same procedure in Norway and Sweden

Old 12-01-2005, 06:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
For me the BEST of our days : MARY of Denmark, unforgettable, full of Majesty!!!!
The worst : Letizia of Spain. It's a bad miracle, how this nice girl, who looked so stunning in both her appearances in the Danish wedding (Absolute beauty and chic!!!) and also in the eve of her own wedding (fabulous Capriley grey pearl dress) within a couple of hours, I mean the next morning she could look so bad !! Awful hair, bad vale and wrongly worn tiara, too heavy for her, made her look shorter and having a little head in the top of a big and loooong shapeless body.
Instead of making her look higher and majestuous beside the very tall Felipe (1m 97cm!!!) they made her look very short, without neck at all !!! She was giving the impression as unable to move! Poor girl, i do not know if they obliged her to take this old Pertegaz or if it was her own choice, but what a pitty!!!
well, i have the opposite opinion from yours.
Mary looks very beautiful on her wedding day, but compared to Letizia, she looked less regal and older in her make-up.
Letizia looks like a future queen of spain, she is gracious, looking young and sophisticated on her wedding.
The tiara is a family heirloom, as opposed to Mary's, and it looks very good on her. Not too heavy, but certainly didn't lack glamour.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Courtier
Picture of the Month Representative - The Netherlands

The worst was Mabel Wisse Smit: a horrible dress with so many bows!
Also the make up was awful.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Maxima
The worst was Mabel Wisse Smit: a horrible dress with so many bows!
Also the make up was awful.
mabel did look AWFUL. especially those big bows on the train. those really sent the whole thing over the edge.

and those weird little headlight spikes for her tiara. she more or less designed that tiaras herself too. (figures) the diamonds are taken from another older (much nicere) one.

her makeup was not great that's for sure, though, compared to the goth look she's been sporting lately (e.g. alexia's baptism) i dont think we realized how good we had it at the wedding.

i also hate the way she insists on pulling her hair back so tightly. the poor girl's ears stick out and while that is not a bad thing, the way she pulls her her hair back only serves to accentuate that. making them seem like they stick out much more than they actually do.

mabel is clueless in every area of the fashion department.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
mabel did look AWFUL. especially those big bows on the train. those really sent the whole thing over the edge... mabel is clueless in every area of the fashion department.
I actually think Mabels dress is the least liked wedding dress ever. It keeps coming back in all the threads and especially when you least expect it. Obviously it made a big impression on all of us... :p
Old 12-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie
I actually think Mabels dress is the least liked wedding dress ever. It keeps coming back in all the threads and especially when you least expect it. Obviously it made a big impression on all of us... :p
you're right. i think it is the most unpopular dress of all time.
i'm sure that's because it is so extreme. i mean, some people didnt like Aimee's dress saying it was boring. ok, it was boring. that's just not something you feel strongly about and keep bringing up again and again.

mabel's dress was hideous. it redefined the word 'ugly.' it seared our collective corneas. and left us traumatized.

i've met one person who liked it. he thought it was bold of her to wear such an extreme dress after all the controversy. to show holland she didnt care.

hmmm....i think i would like her better if she wowed us by something classic and gorgeous and looking fabulous. it'sa cliche, but looking good really truly is the best revenge.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
it redefined the word 'ugly.'
LOL, you can say that again...

Quote:
i've met one person who liked it. he thought it was bold of her to wear such an extreme dress after all the controversy. to show holland she didnt care.
I don't believe it works that way. If you really don't care, you don't have to show that. Than you just don't care, that's all what not caring is about. It is as you say, looking beautiful would have done the trick... and that man next to her, our very own stiff Johan-Friso!!! I just have been amazed by the whole spectacle. I remember sitting here with my mouth open and screaming: 'What the ****! What's that? And why doesn't he smile?'

Really, that wedding haunts me since then!!! :p
Old 12-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Serene Highness

so who takes the cake as the worst dress bride?
mabel and laura pointe are my two runner ups
i only want a lot of bows on presents not on a wedding gown & laura pointe look very unstyleish esp. for a model. whats up with the upside down tiara?
Old 12-02-2005, 03:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_platinum
Letizia looks like a future queen of spain, she is gracious, looking young and sophisticated on her wedding.
The tiara is a family heirloom and it looks very good on her. Not too heavy, but certainly didn't lack glamour.
I also have the same opinion with you about her looking in wedding day. She has wore the most beautiful royal family' heirloom tiara since the first day joined Royal family as future Spain Queen:).
Old 12-02-2005, 06:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
What was so bad about Letizia's veil, tiara and hair? I thought Queen Ena's veil looked spectacular on her, as did the tiara (which was placed correctly). The weist was stressed and the dress, so her figure came out well (though not as exhuberant as in Denmark). The only thing which was not to my liking was the high colar, which made her neck disappear.

I do not agree with you about the assesment of the dress of Princess Mary. The veil was placed in a very strange manor, the tiara was hardly visible, shoulders to bare, the dress to long and what about the aprons? Luckily the lady is very charming herself, which saved the pictures.
The idea and goal of any wedding dress is to make the bride look better that she is every day, and IMO Letizia looked worst than usually, they uglied her, and they shorted her. The tiary was maybe placed correctly but it did not fit to her, so it should have been placed in another way. The goal is not to show the tiara, it is to show the bride nice, and this was failed. Letizia is quite pretty IMO, you really can make her apprearing stunning (as the day before), but this day they made the opposite.

As for Mary, her vale was placed exactly as a Moyen Age vale, the whole conception of the dress was this, it fitted her and make her look like a Castle lady, a Queen.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilah
Diana 's dress wasn't beautiful at all. That was very rumpled and chubby.
I agree, her dress wasn't beautiful, but for some reason, it looked good on her.
I don't know what it was, but she seemed happy in it, which made it the whole dress suite her.:)
Old 12-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The idea and goal of any wedding dress is to make the bride look better that she is every day, and IMO Letizia looked worst than usually, they uglied her, and they shorted her. The tiary was maybe placed correctly but it did not fit to her, so it should have been placed in another way. The goal is not to show the tiara, it is to show the bride nice, and this was failed. Letizia is quite pretty IMO, you really can make her apprearing stunning (as the day before), but this day they made the opposite.

As for Mary, her vale was placed exactly as a Moyen Age vale, the whole conception of the dress was this, it fitted her and make her look like a Castle lady, a Queen.
Can we agree to disagree???
I think you're entitled to your opinion, while many may disagree to your opinion.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by semisquare
so who takes the cake as the worst dress bride?
mabel and laura pointe are my two runner ups
i only want a lot of bows on presents not on a wedding gown & laura pointe look very unstyleish esp. for a model. whats up with the upside down tiara?
the upside tiara was bad but nearly as bad as her upside down smile.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie
LOL, you can say that again...

I don't believe it works that way. If you really don't care, you don't have to show that. Than you just don't care, that's all what not caring is about. It is as you say, looking beautiful would have done the trick... and that man next to her, our very own stiff Johan-Friso!!! I just have been amazed by the whole spectacle. I remember sitting here with my mouth open and screaming: 'What the ****! What's that? And why doesn't he smile?'

Really, that wedding haunts me since then!!! :p
thats too funny. i only saw snippets online but i'm sure if i'd watched it all i would also have had nightmares.

you're right about "why doesnt he smile" i thought that too. i think perhaps the hideous effect of mabel's dress might have been mitigated a little if the rest of the wedding were really nice. Friso was a dreadful groom. very stiff, didnt seem happy to be marrying the woman he was in love with, he didnt even want to look at her unless she looked at him first.

there was also the annoying black and blue color scheme. personally i associate black and blue with how people look when they've been beat up or been in a car accident. not with weddings. they're very cold colors too and i think weddings should be warm.

queen beatrix wore a hideous hat of blue feathers that prompted the dutch people to ask if she had slaughtered big bird and taken his hide. Maxima looked ok in black and white but it was definitely not the best outfit she's ever worn.

there were no 'cute moments' like there were so many of at WA and Maxima's weddings. except maybe the moment Mabel looked down at her wedding ring after Friso put in on her finger.

so all we're left with is mabel's dress, to haunt the dreams of royalty lovers for years to come...
Old 12-05-2005, 05:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_platinum
Can we agree to disagree???
I think you're entitled to your opinion, while many may disagree to your opinion.
Of course !!! Anyone is free to have his own opinion, and this is the interesting point of the forum ! Exchange different opinions! It's rich and nice!
Old 12-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Aristocracy

Diana. I think Diana's dress was unfortunate no matter what the era. I've seen plenty of beautiful wedding dresses in the early 80s and her's was not one of them.

Mabel. What is left to say about Mabel's dress that hasn't already been said? As far as unsmiling Friso is concerned, I think he took one look at that get-up and decided if he smiled even a little bit, he would just lose it and crack up at that "creation".

Letizia. I loved her tiara and veil but the dress was terrible. The collar was terrible and looked like it needed to be pressed. To me, the overall look was that the dress was bought 'off the rack'.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:29 AM
Aristocracy

the collar of the outfit was not styled properly
Old 12-27-2005, 03:02 AM
Courtier

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMCS
Diana. I think Diana's dress was unfortunate no matter what the era. I've seen plenty of beautiful wedding dresses in the early 80s and her's was not one of them.

Mabel. What is left to say about Mabel's dress that hasn't already been said? As far as unsmiling Friso is concerned, I think he took one look at that get-up and decided if he smiled even a little bit, he would just lose it and crack up at that "creation".

Letizia. I loved her tiara and veil but the dress was terrible. The collar was terrible and looked like it needed to be pressed. To me, the overall look was that the dress was bought 'off the rack'.
I've never noticed that the collar of the Letizia's gown looked like it needed to be pressed. I gonna look at it again I liked it though (yeah, I have no taste. It's all in my mouth).

Mabel's gown will go down in TRF history as the most puzzling design for a wedding gown All Hail to our Lady of the Bows!
Old 12-27-2005, 01:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

I must be in the minority but I LOVED letizias gown. I though it was so modern, simple, yet elegantly beautiful. I loved the collar on the dress. That was one of my favorite parts and the veil and tiara were so beautiful.

Tags
bride, royal weddings