Royal Bridal Veils

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
from the royal webbsite about crown princess victoria of swedens vail

The Bridal Veil

The Crown Princess was wearing Queen Sofia's lace veil. It is the same veil that was worn by Crown Princess Victoria's mother, Queen Silvia, at her marriage to King Carl Gustaf in 1976.
This veil was given by Queen Sofia to her youngest son, Prince Eugen. Prince Eugen then passed the veil on to Princess Sibylla, who wore it under a garland of myrtle at her marriage to Prince Gustaf Adolf in Koburg in 1932.

Queen Sofia's veil was also worn by the Princesses Désirée in 1964, Margaretha in 1964 and Christina in 1974.

I like veils of Maxima, Letizia, MetteMarit. Tatiana has nice too.

Wasn't on LTR thread about the veils how long for the cathedral, abbey etc.?

Last edited:
My all time favorite is Maximas even though I did not like her dress.Then my 2nd favorite is Mette Marit.

Royal Bridal Veil favorites elections

Maxima (absolutely gorgeous)
Letizia
Mary
Victoria
Marie

Crown Princess Mette-Marit's long bridal veil made her look like Rapunzel.

Oh, I love this topic! A veil can make or break the entire bridal ensemble, imo! Here are my favorites:

Maxima of the Netherlands
Fabiola of Belgium
Cristina of Spain
Birgitta of Sweden
Claire of Belgium
Charlene of Monaco
Zara Phillips(veil only...don't care for the dress at all!)

Last edited:
That is really lovely. Such a great tradition.

Oh, I love this topic! A veil can make or break the entire bridal ensemble, imo! Here are my favorites:

Maxima of the Netherlands
Fabiola of Belgium
Cristina of Spain
Birgitta of Sweden
Claire of Belgium
Charlene of Monaco
Zara Phillips(veil only...don't care for the dress at all!)

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: Heirloom Veils

I agree. The "Heirloom Veils" is a lovely post by IloveCP. The veil or headdress can "make or break" the overall appearance of the bride. I have come across many bad choices which detracted from an otherwise beautiful gown. Crown Princess Maxima of the Netherlands did indeed have a splendid and very complimentary veil.

Last edited:
I just adore the veils worn by Princess Maxima and Princess Grace - beautiful, elegant and timeless. The design of Maxima's dress and veil were a perfect complement, and the length of the veil of Grace was in beautiful tune with the satin of her gown.

My favorite heirloom veil would have to be the Danish lace, however I don't think all royal brides wore it well. Either the hair style was too big (some height is needed, I feel, to appreciate the beauty of the veil, but there is some height and too much height) or the dress was not simple enough for an all lace veil (often the dresses were lovely but not with the veil - I feel all lace veils work best with gowns that have less detail to them).

:previous: This demonstrates why I love Maxima's veil so much! Is there a similar picture of the detail without a watermark?

Maxima's looked good from the back and side, but I think it looked too bunched up on the top of her head.
Also liked Princess Mary, Princess Mette-Marit, and Princess Victoria.

Ooo, thank you, IloveCP. It is such a stunning veil. I hope a veil tradition begins in the Netherlands with this piece of lace.

I suppose the veil was bunched slightly at the front, but I do not personally think this detracted from Maxima's look. For me, Maxima had one of the best hair, veil, tiara combinations.

I would put Charlene of Monaco in first place just for the pure elegance of the diamond brooches in her hair anchoring such a glorious, airy veil that did not overwhelm her features. Number two would be Lady Diana Spencer for the way her veil glinted in the lights so delicately and also for the air of mystery she seemed wrapped in (with her blusher) as she made her way down the aisle, plus I thought the Spencer tiara was so romantic in style, it seemed tailor-made for the occasion. Third, I'd say, Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones, (who was such an elegant bride) for the pure whiteness of her veil; so few ladies can wear stark white well but on Lady Sarah it looks smashing and vibrant, complimenting her glorious colouring.

Worst veil, I hate to say it, IMHO goes to Kate Cambridge. The way it plastered over her face when she had the blusher down was just awful. I didn't like the length of the veil compared with that of the train, although I understand the look she was aiming for. Also, the tulle just didn't seem to have any body to it; it had a clingy quality I've never encountered in a high-end bridal gown before. On the other hand, I loved the moment when her father threw back her blusher; such a statement that she will stay part of her birth family and not simply let herself be absorbed into the BRF as has happened to many other Royal brides.

I agree about Charlene. Her veil alone would never make it into my favorites (I prefer veils that feature lace on a royal bride) but the anchoring of the veil, its subtle edging and halo effect (Zara appeared to go for a similar look but with a very different result, IMO), along with the placement of the hair ornamentation puts Charlene at the top of my list for best hair, veil and hair piece combinations. It was pure elegance. There was a modern timelessness, a heavenly air, an understated beauty about it all.

I also agree about Catherine. For a dress that so much thought went into, not just the design elements but how they would manifest, the veil was simply not its equal. The veil, and her hair, is probably among my least favorites.

From the front, before her blusher was lifted, Charlene's veil seemed to form a sort of halo over her entire head, neck and shoulders...the effect was ethereal and very beautiful, imo.

I liked the position of Kate's veil - ie right at the top of her head rather than low down at the back as tends to be the case with modern brides - but I think it would have looked better covering the train, and the blusher kept down until all the formalities were over. I also liked the fact that Kate had her hair half up instead of a hard, aging updo.

I can't stop staring at the 2nd pic.It's so stunning!

Yes, that's a "wow" moment for me as well. I'm a traditionalist in that I love wedding veils to be the length of the train, and when it's a gorgeous lace one engulfing a long, stately train I'm in heaven.

i prefer
1) Maxima
2) Queen Elizabeth II
3) Letizia of Spain
4) Victoria of Sweden

I have to say that I prefer brides that walk to the altar with their face bare rather than wearing a blusher, as the blusher and the lifting of it is from the beginning meant to be a symbolism of the bride's virginity, and her father's handing over a pure bride to her husband.

I have to say that I prefer brides that walk to the altar with their face bare rather than wearing a blusher, as the blusher and the lifting of it is from the beginning meant to be a symbolism of the bride's virginity, and her father's handing over a pure bride to her husband.

Well so is wearing a white wedding gown, but the odds of the symbolism reflecting actuality these days is next to nul.

Alright, my win has to go to Mette-Marit, her veil just gives an impression of heaven.

I can't stop staring at the 2nd pic.It's so stunning!

Goodness...that IS a stunning photo...I am almost hypnotized by it's beauty...like a waterfall of lace!

Beyond gorgeous. :whistling:

Sorry to say, but worst looking bride to me was Zara Phillips. For a very fit lady, neither the dress nor the veil did her any favors at all.

Back
Top Bottom