Royal Bridal Veils

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: I do kind of understand why Kate and/or her designing team did not opt for a veil that extended past the train. The back of the gown with it's Edwardian style bustle was a masterpiece, in fact it was the best part of the dress imo.

A long veil might have taken away from the view of the back of the gown or even completely obscured the bustle unless Kate had done what Pippa did and worn a sheer long illusion veil.

Pippa's veil was gorgeous perfection and that with that type of veil Kate would have knocked her entire look out of the park...IF she had also done something different with her hair which I really hated.

My favorite veil/tiara combo in the British Royal Family was Princess Margaret's in 1960. Beautiful.

Last edited:
:previous:

Indeed, the reason for the short veil was to show of the design of the train and all the delicate appliqué work. However, Sarah, Duchess of York wore just as delicate a veil which hid none of the beadwork or design or indeed bustle bow of the train of her gown.

I must admit that the short veil Princess Beatrix wore (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JzGJ-nNcr...VQ4/2ve4bViaVew/s1600/03-10-1966--Beatrix.jpg) to her wedding with Prince Clause worked well in this instance, as did the short veil Princess Mabel wore when she married Prince Friso (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pDMpJGBhM...0/s1600/PrincessMabelWeddingDress--Front4.jpg) and the veil of Princess Margriet (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KlNgGbFnSew/UP9a9bggGzI/AAAAAAAASvE/s8CTM4Zhznw/s1600/_Couple.jpg)

:previous: Thanks Jacknch, both of those veils are lovely especially Princess Beatrix's. ? I have honestly never paid much attention to Mabel's veil, so distracted as I have been by the Killer Bows.:lol:

I have to admit I always thought Sarah York's hair and veil an even bigger disappointment than Kate's. It was all so boring and mundane, especially considering how dreamy gorgeous her gown was.

I think Sarah's train and veil looked nice but nothing could top her dress. Best royal bride veil is Mette Marit, the whole thing is stunning to look at yet at the same time makes me want to curl up in it and take a nap.

I think Sarah's train and veil looked nice but nothing could top her dress. Best royal bride veil is Mette Marit, the whole thing is stunning to look at yet at the same time me want to curl up in it and take a nap.

:lol: Can I join you? Her veil and train are just like a cloud.

my favourite royal bridal veils
Queen Maxima
Queen Letizia
Queen Mathilde
Princess Grace Kelly

Princess Paola wore heir belgian grandmother's lace veil , made in Brussels. Her veil needed restoration for Princess Astrid Wedding .
The now Queen inherited her family Veil and will we born by the belgian Princesses or wifes of belgian Princes on their wedding day.

:previous: IMO it was the best part of her wedding attire.?

Yes, that first sight of the veil stretching down over the steps as Meghan was preparing for her entry into St George's Chapel was truly breathtaking.

I would argue Meghan's entire wedding look was based around the veil.

The dress was pretty but the veil carried the fairy tale, the history (the flowers of the commonwealth and flowers from KP and California), the grandeur of a royal wedding.

In past royal brides you could take away their veil, and you would still more or less still have the wedding look with a nice dress and any other veil could replace it without changing the look. (except maybe MM)

The veil instead of being simply a after-thought, when you think about her wedding dress it's impossible to not also think of the veil. It truly was the most important and now iconic part of her wedding look

I agree... her veil was the central feature of the wedding.

LaRae

:previous: I agree 100%. The veil usually "finishes" the bridal look but in the Duchess of Sussex's case the entire look seemed to center around that exquisite veil.

It's tied with Maxima of the Netherlands as my choice for Most Beautiful Royal Bridal Veil.?

I like how Duchess Meghan had the 53 flowers sewn into her wedding veil. The sewing details are wonderful.

Last edited:
:previous: I agree 100%. The veil usually "finishes" the bridal look but in the Duchess of Sussex's case the entire look seemed to center around that exquisite veil.

It's tied with Maxima of the Netherlands as my choice for Most Beautiful Royal Bridal Veil.?

Which, depending on how you look at it, can mean that - without the veil - the entire wedding look wasn't really that special.
IMO without the veil there is nothing left.

Which, depending on how you look at it, can mean that - without the veil - the entire wedding look wasn't really that special.

Except, she did wear the veil. I don't understand the concept of if she didn't wear the veil, it wouldn't be special. But she did. So that's a moot point. It's always about the entire look together rather than each individual pieces all separate. Had she worn that veil with an elaborate dress, it wouldn't have worked. I don't care if they are both master pieces.

Except, she did wear the veil. I don't understand the concept of if she didn't wear the veil, it wouldn't be special. But she did. So that's a moot point. It's always about the entire look together rather than each individual pieces all separate. Had she worn that veil with an elaborate dress, it wouldn't have worked. I don't care if they are both master pieces.

Moot or not, it's how I see it. I disagree - I appreciate it when something of the overall look remains once a particular item is removed. Aka a beautiful veil and a dress that has just that little bit extra. Things that complement each other. Not one item that has to fill up for another.

Had the dress been more elaborate then the overall picture would be more memorable. Now it's just blah. To me anyway.

But isn't that sort of like saying that if Diana Spencer had not had a 25 foot train no one would remember her gown?

You just cannot separate the two, one item completes the other.

But in Meghan's case, even if she'd only worn a tiara without the veil like she did in her black /white photos with Harry I would thought she was a stunning Royal bride.

The gown was simple yet elegant on it's own, perfect for a non-ingenue who had been married before.

But isn't that sort of like saying that if Diana Spencer had not had a 25 foot train no one would remember her gown?

But in Meghan's case, even if she'd only worn a tiara without the veil like she did in her black /white photos with Harry I would thought she was a stunning Royal bride.

The gown was simple yet elegant on it's own, perfect for a non-ingenue who had been married before.

I don't think any of it had anything to do with her having been married before or not. She wore a veil with a 16 feet train and in pure white. I think that wasn't going to stop her from doing anything she wanted. However, they probably gave thought to the fact that they weren't having a sit down reception at the Windsor Castle afterwards, and decided a shorter train on the dress would allow her move easier and the exquisite and dramatic veil stood out on those stairs and St. George's Chapel.

I would have remembered Diana's gown also if the train had been shorter. Simply because the gown appeals to me.
And without the veil I still think it's pretty.

Meghan with only a tiara and without the veil would be a bride I would only take a cursory glance at. Nothing special at all.

Different tastes for different people.

Saying the veil was a central part of the look doesn't mean the the entire wedding look would have been terrible.

Meghan's entire wedding look was a work of contrast that came together because it was well balanced. A simple dress, with an dramatic veil and a nice tiara. I think each part was very important in different ways but this thread is about veils so that is why we are focusing only on the veil and talking about how important it was for the whole look.

I would have remembered Diana's gown also if the train had been shorter. Simply because the gown appeals to me.
And without the veil I still think it's pretty.

Meghan with only a tiara and without the veil would be a bride I would only take a cursory glance at. Nothing special at all.

Different tastes for different people.

Yes. This is a perfect example of different tastes. IMO, Diana's dress with or without the train was too much, OTT. However, I thought Meghan was elegant and pretty. Does not mean either opinion is wrong or right. In the end it's about what the bride likes.

Yes. This is a perfect example of different tastes. IMO, Diana's dress with or without the train was too much, OTT. However, I thought Meghan was elegant and pretty. Does not mean either opinion is wrong or right. In the end it's about what the bride likes.

To bring this back to the veil, it’s a shame that they couldn’t find a better way to deal with Diana’s veil than to cut the blusher with a scissor.

Back
Top Bottom