The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-24-2015, 10:26 PM
Heir Apparent

^ How lovely to wed at Christmas time, TLLK, and with fur edging the gown (preferably faux fur!) I'm a great fan of winter weddings. Also, to wear an historic veil, as these brides have done, is a real bonus.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
one veil i never liked was Kate's - not a fan of the short veil at any time but especially on a royal and considering the venue of Westminster abbey it got lost.

Maxima, Stephanie and Letizia's veils are some of the most stunning with the intricate work and detail perfect for their status
I agree 100%. In some photos Kate's veil looked like cheap netting plopped flat onto her head almost as an after thought...particularly disappointing when one sees the time consuming and exquisite detail involved in her gown.

Maxima and Stephanie had veils that were breathtaking and matched both their status as Royal brides, and the venues of their prospective weddings.

The only thing I thought was successful about Letizia's bridal look was her veil, it was lovely.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: Princess Aimée's Gown

It's a bit difficult to see Princess Aimee's veil in the photos but the video shows how her veil has a bit of sparkle to it which livens up a very simple wedding look.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:52 AM
Heir Apparent

I liked the paper (!) veil worn by Anne-Marie Gualthérie van Weezel when she married Prince Carlos de Bourbon de Parme, the Duke of Parma.

The paper veil in full

Detail of the paper veil
Old 01-28-2016, 07:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Victoria of England's veil was made of Honiton lace. Victoria's daughter Princess Beatrice married Prince Henry of Battenberg on July 23, 1885. The Queen allowed Princess Beatrice to wear the veil which she herself had worn on her wedding day.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/94716398390710073
Old 01-28-2016, 08:12 PM
Heir Apparent

I believe Queen Victoria's wedding veil ended up in her coffin, covering the dead queen's body.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Top:
Stephanie of Lux
Maxima
Victoria
MM
Charlene (but only in combination with the beautiful hair pieces)
Mathide

I don't like Kate's at all. To be honest I was as disappointed by her wedding look as Zara's. The dress didn't fit properly, looks like she lost too much weight, and had a Madonna cone bra effect going. Her veil looked cheap and seemed to cling to her like wind in the face. With the tiara, her hair needed a proper updo (didn't need to be severe but something) and lose the heavy eyeliner and remnants of the fake pumpkin tan.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
I guess it symbolised her change in status, I think it is sweet, at what point were the flowers replaced for a tiara, can not remember it at all.
I think Mary and Letizia wore tiara's straight through the service.
If I remember correctly, the flowers were attached (wired?) to her tiara and was cut off in the vestry. Diana's blusher was also cut off in the vestry.

If I remember correctly, Maxima's veil was a gift from WA and was magnificent in that it was brand new and gloriously white, Victoria's a gorgeous heirloom. She and Victoria solved the 'problem' of magnificent veils by using their stunning, elegantly styled, wedding gowns and trains as more or less a blank canvas to highlight the veil. Both looked magnificent and are in my top 3

Victoria
Maxima
Mette-Marit (for sheer romance and utter gorgeousness that created the illusion of a swan floating down the aisle). Sheer magic.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:32 PM
Heir Apparent

I thought Mette Marit's was absolutely wonderful too. Her dress was gorgeous and her veil looked as if it floated down the aisle on a cloud.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:28 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't know whether I've already said this or not, but I also thought that Mette-Marit's veil was amazing! I would have thought a thick veil wouldn't fit, but it did it, and marvelousy!
Old 01-29-2016, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I don't know whether I've already said this or not, but I also thought that Mette-Marit's veil was amazing! I would have thought a thick veil wouldn't fit, but it did it, and marvelousy!
These pictures of Mette-Marit's veil may well have already been posted somewhere else, so my apologies if that is the case:

https://multifarious79.files.wordpre...arit_slep2.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...482c093c21.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_e9OLDZlTqH...-Aftenblad.jpg

It really was special and was perfect with the rest of outfit she wore.

Maxima's veil was, I think, the most magnificent - the sheer scale of it with all the intricate detail was breathtaking.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
These pictures of Mette-Marit's veil may well have already been posted somewhere else, so my apologies if that is the case:

https://multifarious79.files.wordpre...arit_slep2.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...482c093c21.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_e9OLDZlTqH...-Aftenblad.jpg

It really was special and was perfect with the rest of outfit she wore.

Maxima's veil was, I think, the most magnificent - the sheer scale of it with all the intricate detail was breathtaking.

Never mind, I always enjoy looking at those pictures, whether they have already been published or not

I think that the wonder of MM's veil was that at first look it almost looked like a sheet but she looked like a medieval princess bride. Beautiful.

I also enjoyed Queen Maxima's veil but since I dislike her wedding dress I completely overlook the veil.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Eve Pollard, BBC Fashion commentator for the Royal Wedding commented that the sequins of Lady Diana Spencer's veil caught the light and sparkled. Sequins had not been seen before on a royal bride's veil.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Lady Diana Spencer's bridal veil was sent out to be embroidered. Peggy Umpelby hand-embroidered 10,000 sequins onto the veil.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:47 AM
Heir Apparent

God bless her fingers and her eyesight!
Old 09-03-2016, 02:56 AM
Serene Highness

HAS any royal bride not opted for a veil, but for a Hat, or a head ornament or flowers in her hair?
Old 09-03-2016, 10:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
HAS any royal bride not opted for a veil, but for a Hat, or a head ornament or flowers in her hair?
Some have not worn tiaras and worn ornaments like Charlene.

But no veil? Mainly older of second marriages. Camilla of course had her fan like fascinator. Lilian had a pillbox when she married bertil. Neither Caroline of Stephanie of Monaco wore one. Beatrice Borromeo only had a veil with one of five wedding dresses.princess Christina of the Netherlands had more of a hanker chief, lace but still, than a proper veil. Anne had a hair ornament when she married Tim.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

India Hicks the bridesmaid spoke about Diana's bridal train
Old 09-11-2016, 03:11 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Some have not worn tiaras and worn ornaments like Charlene.

But no veil? Mainly older of second marriages. Camilla of course had her fan like fascinator. Lilian had a pillbox when she married bertil. Neither Caroline of Stephanie of Monaco wore one. Beatrice Borromeo only had a veil with one of five wedding dresses.princess Christina of the Netherlands had more of a hanker chief, lace but still, than a proper veil. Anne had a hair ornament when she married Tim.
Thanks I had forgotten that rather awful ting that Camilla wore. My mum had a hat a bit like that, with feathers on it which needed a net to keep the feathers in place... It wasn't a good choice IMO. Her general wedding get up was very nice, but the feathery thing and the feathery hat she wore were a bit messy looking. I think that a neat little hat or a pill box would have been better. but all in all she looked well. I must look at the other brides you mentioned. I was really thinking of younger brides going for maybe flowers or some pretty hair ornaments rather than a veil...
I see Pss Steph of Luxembourg went for the Veil well back on the head look, I don't think it looked well nor the tiara she had.. it drew too much attention to her face and her hair rather pulled back
Old 09-11-2016, 03:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Even among regular every day brides, veils are pretty much standard issue for young and/or first time brides. Yes women choose what to wear with their veils. Like hair ornaments, tiaras, glowers, combs or just the veil. But for a formal wedding it is not likely to see a bride either. Royal weddings are formal for the most part. We may see flowers like Ferguson or hair ornaments like Charlene but veils included.