Royal Bridal Veils

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know whether I've already said this or not, but I also thought that Mette-Marit's veil was amazing! I would have thought a thick veil wouldn't fit, but it did it, and marvelousy!

These pictures of Mette-Marit's veil may well have already been posted somewhere else, so my apologies if that is the case:

https://multifarious79.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/mette_marit_slep2.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/bc/09/71/bc0971597f044b0e927500482c093c21.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_e9OLDZlTq...ca9w6LTG0/s1600/DressinExhibit--Aftenblad.jpg

It really was special and was perfect with the rest of outfit she wore.

Maxima's veil was, I think, the most magnificent - the sheer scale of it with all the intricate detail was breathtaking.

Last edited:
These pictures of Mette-Marit's veil may well have already been posted somewhere else, so my apologies if that is the case:

https://multifarious79.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/mette_marit_slep2.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/bc/09/71/bc0971597f044b0e927500482c093c21.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_e9OLDZlTq...ca9w6LTG0/s1600/DressinExhibit--Aftenblad.jpg

It really was special and was perfect with the rest of outfit she wore.

Maxima's veil was, I think, the most magnificent - the sheer scale of it with all the intricate detail was breathtaking.

Never mind, I always enjoy looking at those pictures, whether they have already been published or not:flowers:

I think that the wonder of MM's veil was that at first look it almost looked like a sheet but she looked like a medieval princess bride. Beautiful;).

I also enjoyed Queen Maxima's veil but since I dislike her wedding dress I completely overlook the veil.

Eve Pollard, BBC Fashion commentator for the Royal Wedding commented that the sequins of Lady Diana Spencer's veil caught the light and sparkled. Sequins had not been seen before on a royal bride's veil.

Lady Diana Spencer's bridal veil was sent out to be embroidered. Peggy Umpelby hand-embroidered 10,000 sequins onto the veil.

HAS any royal bride not opted for a veil, but for a Hat, or a head ornament or flowers in her hair?

HAS any royal bride not opted for a veil, but for a Hat, or a head ornament or flowers in her hair?

Some have not worn tiaras and worn ornaments like Charlene.

But no veil? Mainly older of second marriages. Camilla of course had her fan like fascinator. Lilian had a pillbox when she married bertil. Neither Caroline of Stephanie of Monaco wore one. Beatrice Borromeo only had a veil with one of five wedding dresses.princess Christina of the Netherlands had more of a hanker chief, lace but still, than a proper veil. Anne had a hair ornament when she married Tim.

Some have not worn tiaras and worn ornaments like Charlene.

But no veil? Mainly older of second marriages. Camilla of course had her fan like fascinator. Lilian had a pillbox when she married bertil. Neither Caroline of Stephanie of Monaco wore one. Beatrice Borromeo only had a veil with one of five wedding dresses.princess Christina of the Netherlands had more of a hanker chief, lace but still, than a proper veil. Anne had a hair ornament when she married Tim.

Thanks I had forgotten that rather awful ting that Camilla wore. My mum had a hat a bit like that, with feathers on it which needed a net to keep the feathers in place... It wasn't a good choice IMO. Her general wedding get up was very nice, but the feathery thing and the feathery hat she wore were a bit messy looking. I think that a neat little hat or a pill box would have been better. but all in all she looked well. I must look at the other brides you mentioned. I was really thinking of younger brides going for maybe flowers or some pretty hair ornaments rather than a veil...
I see Pss Steph of Luxembourg went for the Veil well back on the head look, I don't think it looked well nor the tiara she had.. it drew too much attention to her face and her hair rather pulled back

Last edited:
Even among regular every day brides, veils are pretty much standard issue for young and/or first time brides. Yes women choose what to wear with their veils. Like hair ornaments, tiaras, glowers, combs or just the veil. But for a formal wedding it is not likely to see a bride either. Royal weddings are formal for the most part. We may see flowers like Ferguson or hair ornaments like Charlene but veils included.

Not all! I had a hat, a friend had a long gown but no veil.. Of course Royal weddings tend to be more formal and to go by the conventions. But It would be nice to see some royal bride go a little off the beaten track...

I doubt you will see it. When you are getting married in a grand church, you need to look the part. A hat screams derby day at ascot not bridal gear, or at the very least, guest of wedding. Many of these brides are marrying in and the wedding is their introduction to the public as a royal. They do so by looking as regal as possible. I remember a wedding picture of my aunt from the righties with a Easter bonnet like hat. I had hoped such a trend had ended, didn't think it was very fashion forward. But i guess people are bringing back old fashion styles all the time. If neon and gym clothes as street clothes can make a comeback, I guess bonnet weddings can:whistling:

I remember a tv-show in which Valentino Garavani was interviewed. It seems that a special loom machine was constructed in an empty hall, especially for the production of Máxima's veil, according a special procédé. Then a dozen of modinettes or coupeuses had lots of work to embroid the floral and guirlande motifs on the long veil. No wonder the whole adventure did cost a fortune but mission accomplished: it was a truly royal veil (picture).

Our Royals have a Veil belonging to Queen's Paola Brussels Grandmother in lace of Brussels.
An old Veil repaired for Princess Astrid's Wedding and later for Princess Mathilde.

Laure Mosselman du Chenoy ordered a Veil in Brussel's lace to marry Queen Paola's Grandfather.
It was worn by the Ruffo ladies and belongs now to Queen Paola. Two restaurations first for Princess Asrid's Wedding and later for Princess Mathilde's Wedding. It was truly an old authentic royal Lace Veil which has a story.

I remember a tv-show in which Valentino Garavani was interviewed. It seems that a special loom machine was constructed in an empty hall, especially for the production of Máxima's veil, according a special procédé. Then a dozen of modinettes or coupeuses had lots of work to embroid the floral and guirlande motifs on the long veil. No wonder the whole adventure did cost a fortune but mission accomplished: it was a truly royal veil (picture).
I do hope that veil will be worn by the three Dutch princesses and let it become an heirloom piece. It's too magnificent to only be worn once.

It is spectacular and I was under the impression for years that it was a historic piece. I was very surprised to discover that it was new.

I do hope that veil will be worn by the three Dutch princesses and let it become an heirloom piece. It's too magnificent to only be worn once.

I thought the veil of Princess Margriet was fabulous too. What a hellish work that must have been! (picture)

Or the one of Princess Juliana which was extremely work-intensive too. (picture).

Apparently all Dutch princesses choose a new veil. Besides Máxima the one from Princess María Carolina de Bourbon de Parme had a nice, vulnerable veil: picture. Annemarie Gualthérie van Weezel had a paper veil even! (picture)

I doubt you will see it. When you are getting married in a grand church, you need to look the part. A hat screams derby day at ascot not bridal gear, or at the very least, guest of wedding. Many of these brides are marrying in and the wedding is their introduction to the public as a royal. They do so by looking as regal as possible. I remember a wedding picture of my aunt from the righties with a Easter bonnet like hat. I had hoped such a trend had ended, weddings can:whistling:

I'm nto talking about a bonnet or anything outrageous like a mini dress.. and I don't see anything wrong with a hat.
but I would like to see a bit of imagination and making a few modest changes in the bridal look. I've been looking at a lot of more recent royal weddings since joining this forum and so many of them are very "samey". Kates was as "blah" as can be...
Things change, even for royals and it is possible IMO to have a "grand wedding" with a traditional look while still making a few changes.

MM's veil is my favourite of all time, I think. It's delicate looking and just beautiful.

Not all! I had a hat, a friend had a long gown but no veil.. Of course Royal weddings tend to be more formal and to go by the conventions. But It would be nice to see some royal bride go a little off the beaten track...
For first-time royal brides the choice between a hat and
a tiara and veil is a no-brainer. What bride doesn't want to sparkle like that and it is a day they will remember for the rest of their lives for better or worse . . . and so will everyone with access to a computer or tv.

Second marriages are IMHO dictated by the age of the bride and groom. Camilla hit the right mark without a veil of course, although I personally would have loved to see her in a tiara instead of the bronze/gold fan thingie. However, should Harry and Meghan get married, I would love to see a proper church wedding with morning dress, a tiara and an appropriately wedding gown and glorious veil.

I have been reading the Nichols' book about Kate, and it said Kate considered wearing flowers in her hair but then decided on a tiara.

The book said she was offered her choice of three and chose the Halo; does anyone know what the other two choices were?
The book doesn't say.

:previous:

Flowers played a key role in the design of the wedding from the dress to the cake and so it wouldn't surprise me she was considering flowers in her hair.

I think she chose the right tiara for the day, but I always wished she had gone for a full length veil extending way beyond the train.

:previous: Same here. Kate's veil was one of the most disappointing Royal veils I've seen.:sad:

Back
Top Bottom