Religious Readings at Royal Weddings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Britters

Courtier
City
Kailua
Country
United States
What readings were used in the various weddings? What bible verses (for the Prodestant families) were used? Anyone know?

In catholic weddings there is usually read the first epistle of Paul to the Corinthians chapter 13 versicles 4-7, that was the one read by Menchu in Felipe and Letizia's wedding

The theme and readings for the wedding of Willem-Alexander and Maxima was from the book Ruth. About how Naomi followed her mother-in-law to a strange country etc. Very appropriate.

At Prince Charles and Lady Diana's wedding one of the readings was from 1st Corinthians, chapter 13, King James Version. I'm assuming most of the British royals follow the Anglican wedding services.

In catholic weddings there is usually read the first epistle of Paul to the Corinthians chapter 13 versicles 4-7, that was the one read by Menchu in Felipe and Letizia's wedding
A very beautiful reading, and very appropriate. I´ve read it in some weddings.

I don't think that there is much difference between Catholic, Anglican, and Protestant weddings on this score. Chapter 13 of the first letter of Paul to the Corinthians seems to be a great favorite, regardless of denomination. :flowers:

In Sweden (lutheran) we read Matthew 19:4-6 ... but only God knows how long :lol: (can only use it when man and woman are getting married...)
Then Song of Songs 8:6-7
Also used: John 15:9-12, 1 Kor 13:4-7, Gal 6:2, Ef 5:31-33 and Kol 3:12-14, not all of them of course, but some of them...

At his sister Catherine's wedding, James Middleton read a passage from The Book of Romans.

The theme and readings for the wedding of Willem-Alexander and Maxima was from the book Ruth. About how Naomi followed her mother-in-law to a strange country etc. Very appropriate.

Yes, it was a very appropriate piece. It was read in Spanish by Padre Rafael Braun, the priest of the Zorreguieta family. That made the story of Ruth and Naomi all even more poignant and bitter-sweet for the bride.

"Entreat me not to leave you or to return from following you;
for where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge;
your people shall be my people, and your God my God;
where you die I will die, and there will I be buried."

Ruth 1, verse 16

The wedding was a Protestant service with Catholic elements: the Spanish lecture by Padre Rafael Braun was from a Catholic Bible, Schubert's Ave Maria was sung by a mezzo-soprano, and Mozart's Kyrie was sung by a choir. Padre Braun took part in the final blessing. For the rest it was a full Protestant service led by the reverend minister Carel ter Linden, with whom King Willem-Alexander still holds a close relationship. Since his student years in Leyden, the King follows bible-class with the reverend minister and a close group of men. It seems that now, 25 years later, this bible-class still exists and the students of that time are now men of the King's age and still meet each other regularly.

Last edited:
In Charlene and Prince Albert II of Monaco's wedding, Charlotte Casiraghi read from The First Epistle of St. John in French:
"If we love one another God remains in us and his love is brought to perfection in us."

In Charlene and Prince Albert II of Monaco's wedding, Charlotte Casiraghi read from The First Epistle of St. John in French:
"If we love one another God remains in us and his love is brought to perfection in us."

what a beautiful sentence! I didn't remember it! Thank you:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom