Have Royal Weddings Changed?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holy crap that is a scary number. Thank you for making me feel old! :p

I didn't mean to make you feel old!

But looking back..I added on a few years. The were married in 1981 and 1986...so not twenty but not quite thirty. :whistling: And you shouldn't feel so bad...I was 13 when Charles and Diana got married!

Excellent, excellent comments! Let's not forget Charles-Philippe d'Orleans and Diane, Duchesse de Cadaval which took place a few weeks ago. If that is not a Royal/noble couple then no one is, but even though it was an elegant, beautiful affair it came no where near to the high profile Gotha event I thought it would be. There were more Serene Highnesses present than Royal Highnesses. As a matter of that the only Royals present outside of the d'Orleans of France was King Juan Carlos's sister Dona Pilar.

It surprised me

Thank you...I also forgot to add the size and the Royal Families themselves. Not to offend anyone...but I don't think you can compare the British Royal Family with the Danish Royal Family (in terms of flash, history or money) just like you cant compare (IMO) the Danish with the Monaco Royal House, or the Spanish Royals to those of the Dutch, etc. Hope that makes sense. I personally enjoy them all but I love the special nuances of each family: the grand old British tradition (stiff upper lip everything so seemingly perfect they could do it in their sleep) as well as the Danish (the announcement of the babies name at the Christening, the dancing by the bridge and groom by midnight), its all great.

Thank you...I also forgot to add the size and the Royal Families themselves. Not to offend anyone...but I don't think you can compare the British Royal Family with the Danish Royal Family (in terms of flash, history or money) just like you cant compare (IMO) the Danish with the Monaco Royal House, or the Spanish Royals to those of the Dutch, etc. Hope that makes sense. I personally enjoy them all but I love the special nuances of each family: the grand old British tradition (stiff upper lip everything so seemingly perfect they could do it in their sleep) as well as the Danish (the announcement of the babies name at the Christening, the dancing by the bridge and groom by midnight), its all great.

The Danish have the most enchanting fairy tale weddings I have ever heard or read about...when I read about Princess Alexandra(Joachim's first wife) riding to her wedding in a Royal Carriage at night by TORCHLIGHT I was floored! And that midnight dance with everyone in a circle...how can you top that?! You can't! It's like something out of a storybook.

The Danish have the most enchanting fairy tale weddings I have ever heard or read about...when I read about Princess Alexandra(Joachim's first wife) riding to her wedding in a Royal Carriage at night by TORCHLIGHT I was floored! And that midnight dance with everyone in a circle...how can you top that?! You can't! It's like something out of a storybook.

Exactly...how lovely was that. Can you imagine seeing Charles/Diana doing that?! And I say that as someone who adored Diana. Its just the Danish way...no one else does it.

I didn't mean to make you feel old!

But looking back..I added on a few years. The were married in 1981 and 1986...so not twenty but not quite thirty. :whistling: And you shouldn't feel so bad...I was 13 when Charles and Diana got married!

Let's not forget HM the Queen running behind William to catch him before he'd get ran over by the carriage...........I will never forget this........
BTW I was not even born then...........:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I cannot even remember that. They got married at night? I remember the dance but I have a mental block with the carriage story.
But I have a good one, when then CP Constantine rode his horse next to the carriage Princess Sofia was in with her father, going to the Church to Marry Juan Carlos.

Side note but I actually think quite a few of the celebs nowadays will be remembered in 20 years. Going back on topic I really beleive there hasn't been intrest in the recent weddings that there was for Sarah/Andrew and Diana/Charles and other royals those are just the 2 that mainly come to mind. I still think if someone like William gets married there wil be huge intrest. As for princess' not being our idols strangely enough last night I was watching tv and I was watching a show about raising kids or w/e it was and the mother was like her idols are princess' she wants to marry someone like prince charming and she was going around kissing youn boys seeing if they were prince charming sounds weird I know but it was very cute anyways point I'm trying to make is I still think young girls look up to princess' obviously not everyone for example me I knew nothing about the royal family when I was 6 but I still think they influence the younger generations. They like the idea of a fairytale atleast I did.

So... I just want to be sure I'm clear, here:

Little girls should dream of winning the genetic lottery, and being born into a position with much wealth and (usually) very little responsibility? As opposed to dreaming of making it big on their own, through their own talents, and wrestling with their own demons?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a staunch monarchist.

Oh, and as for being pregnant out of wedlock... there's actually nothing wrong with that. I'd also point you to the reason she is not married to Brad: they will not until every citizen of the USA is equally able to do so.

I think that waiting to get married until gay marriage is leagal is just a cop out on their part. They could get married and lobby for marriage equality before the government.

:alien: 23 posts were deleted for Off-Topic reasons. :alien:
Angelina Jolie, Scarlett Johansson, Gwyneth Paltrow and Barack Obama are no Royals or getting married to Royals, i.e. don't have their place here. Debating if a Jewish woman will ever be Princess isn't the point of this thread either.
Back on Topic.

TheTruth
Royal Weddings Forum Moderator​

I also remember the says when the ladies wore long dresses and hats to royal weddings but, I am sure, that those days are gone forever. Even at the
Charles/Diana wedding the ladies wore regular length dresses and suits with an appropriate hat.
Maybe an evening wedding will command a more formal type of dress.
But, everything has become much too casual. In the days of Queen Mary and King George V, she dressed for dinner every evening in a long gown and tiara. No wonder Queen Elizabeth has so many tiaras!

No, pamk, I don't think the days of hats for weddings are gone, people tend to go for fascinators instead. Shorter dresses were in fashion at the time of Charles and Diana's wedding but that was about knee length. Edward and Sophie's wedding was an evening one so the female guests wore evening dresses.

Yes, I agree that a lot of things have become way too casual but in some ways that's a good thing because decades ago, women wore gloves for weddings, summer or winter but these days they don't really bother with them unless they are of a much older generation.

I felt fortuante to see CP Victoria's wedding last year with all the tiaras and evening gowns. It was all so lovely. :)

I am very glad this year we have the opportunity to watch live 2 nice royal weddings:the British and the Monaco one.I don't think that Zara Phillips wedding will be broadcated live,I wonder if Peter Phillips' was broadcasted.Prince William is a son of Prince of Wales and Albert is the Prince of Monaco,it's natural that these weddings are more or less state events.
From other side,I am a little sad that we'll probably don't have weddings broadcasted on TV,as there are just a few bachelor princes .I suppose there will be broadcasted when Prince Harry gets married or his cousins Beatrice and Eugenie,when Guillaume of Luxembourg marries,maybe Sweden princes or the children of Princess Caroline of Monaco(in the case of last ones it will be their choice I believe ).

Peter's wasn't broadcasted no but he did sell the rights to exclusive photos from the day to Hello magazine and reportedly caused an uproar in the royal household.

Not sure if this is the best thread to post this (but it's the closest I could find)
How Royal Weddings have changed
I. don't see how things have changed much at all. The British Royal Family have, by and large, favoured morning weddings and so "day wear" has always been the order of the day.

I did chuckle more than a little when I saw that Edward and Sophie opted for "No Hats" at their wedding. Funny that she is now one of the leading "hat" aficionado's in the BRF. And boy are some of them . . . :ermm:, unique?

I. don't see how things have changed much at all. The British Royal Family have, by and large, favoured morning weddings and so "day wear" has always been the order of the day.

I did chuckle more than a little when I saw that Edward and Sophie opted for "No Hats" at their wedding. Funny that she is now one of the leading "hat" aficionado's in the BRF. And boy are some of them . . . :ermm:, unique?

They are unique, especially those worn by the 20 somethings. I can't wait to see the hats on Friday. I know they will be entertaining.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom