The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-29-2009, 05:56 PM

When I went to The Garter Service and The Thistle Service most Guests bowed and curtseyed as The Queen went past in the Church.

God Save The Queen!

Old 03-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Those who are lower in precedence than the Crown Princess might bow/curtsey. But it wouldn't make sense for a king or a queen for example to bow to a Crown Princess who is lower ranking, even if she is the bride. (Sorry to be a killjoy)

Old 04-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Serene Highness

I'm sorry if someone already asked this question before me but I was wondering why most of the royal brides wear long sleeves?

Is this because of religious purposes? Or do the royal houses see it as more decent and presentable?
Me as a teenager find the dresses with long sleeves quite boring. They all look the same and it makes a lot of brides look a bit unflattering.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:37 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
I'm sorry if someone already asked this question before me but I was wondering why most of the royal brides wear long sleeves?

Is this because of religious purposes? Or do the royal houses see it as more decent and presentable?
Me as a teenager find the dresses with long sleeves quite boring. They all look the same and it makes a lot of brides look a bit unflattering.
I think its this simple: a wedding dress is not a ball gown and a church is not a ballroom.

Here in Sweden many brides use the ballroom style and goes stripes less. Its ok if you ask me, but the royals are more formal and traditional...and they have lots of opportunities to wear ballgowns lather - thats not always the case with us normal deadly people

I had long sleeves when I got married, but I was a winther bride and it was -28'C that day (and thats v cold even i sweden), so long sleeves was kind of nessesary
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 04-15-2009, 05:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgee View Post
since in most cases the royal couple invites an extremely large amount of people to the wedding itself, but not so many to the reception, is there usually an event for all the wedding guests?? For example- a pre wedding dinner??

There are a variety of pre-wedding events held, threads of/with examples:
Frederik and Mary's Pre-Wedding Festivities: May 2004
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...nner-4392.html
Infanta Cristina & Iņaki Urdangarin: Pre-Wedding Reception, Oct. 1997

...So I have not answered your question, but hopefully have provided you with the ability
Old 04-15-2009, 05:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJosh View Post
I've seen video of HRH Crown Princess Mary's wedding and as she walked down the asle all the guests were bowing/curtseying

here it is...
Old 09-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Aristocracy

General Questions

First, I see that many royal couples have both a civil and a religious ceremony. Why? Is it a royal thing or a European tradition? What happens at the civil ceremony?

Second, most royal brides in the pictures I've looked at have sleeves on their wedding dresses. At first, I thought maybe it was about conservative Catholic traditions, but the Protestant houses seem to do it too. So again, is this a royal or European tradition? I think there are some rather nice modern styles without sleeves that are nice. I'm thinking an off-the-shoulder bateau neckline a la Jackie O. Would a future crown princess be able to wear something like that or are sleeves sort of mandatory?
Old 09-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think in most parts of the EU, one has a legal civil union followed by a religious ceremony if one wishes. The only places I remember as having just a religious wedding service as legally binding are countries with an established state religion such as England, or countries where pretty much everyone is the one religion like (southern) Ireland. Not sure about the sleeves issue. Although recently Princess Michael as MOB as well as the bride wore very decolletee gowns to the wedding.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:41 AM
Aristocracy

I read the thread on the Kent wedding and it seems a lot of people were not too pleased with the dress. I thought Sofia could get away with it since Freddie is so far from the throne.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallas athina View Post
First, I see that many royal couples have both a civil and a religious ceremony. Why? Is it a royal thing or a European tradition? What happens at the civil ceremony?

It is ursually a short ceremony where the couple make the same vows as in the religous ceremony but without the references to Good and then sign the register of marriage. This constitutes the actual marriage.

Second, most royal brides in the pictures I've looked at have sleeves on their wedding dresses. At first, I thought maybe it was about conservative Catholic traditions, but the Protestant houses seem to do it too. So again, is this a royal or European tradition? I think there are some rather nice modern styles without sleeves that are nice. I'm thinking an off-the-shoulder bateau neckline a la Jackie O. Would a future crown princess be able to wear something like that or are sleeves sort of mandatory?

It is considered very bad manners and disrespect to the holy room of the church to appear with bare shoulders in church, not only for the bride but also for the female wedding guests. Female guests are expected to wear a shawl or short jackett over an off-shoulder dress while in church and a wedding dress like Sofia's is serious breach of that respect and I am frankly appaled that Princess Michael didn't show better judgement.

On the other hand, that has never been her strong point, quite the contrary. Anything to find the limelight and stay there!
I doubt we will see any crownprincess in an off-the-shoulder wedding dress.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Aristocracy

As a follow-up, I did notice today that Infanta Christina's wedding dress was off-the-shoulder :)
Old 09-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

I also noticed that in royal weddings the bridesmaids walk behind the bride instead of in front like we do here in the US. Is that a European tradition or just a royal tradition?
Old 09-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Courtier

Maybe so that all eyes stay on the bride and can fix the train of the bride's wedding dress when she sits down?
Old 09-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Thats quite possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallas athina View Post

Yes, it is european tradition to have both a civil and a religious ceremony. But its as well likely nowadays to have only a civil ceremony, depends on how romantic and religious you are.

Yes, Princess Michaels and Lady Frederick Windsors necklines were close to the edge for a relgious ceremony because you have to be lie low and decent in a church, for example its not likely to visit a church with T-Shirts and Shorts. At least not in catholic churches, as a catholic myself I cannot speak for the Protestants, but the protestantic weddings I attended included also no bride with a great neckline.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post

Thats quite possible.

Yes, it is european tradition to have both a civil and a religious ceremony. But its as well likely nowadays to have only a civil ceremony, depends on how romantic and religious you are.

Yes, Princess Michaels and Lady Frederick Windsors necklines were close to the edge for a relgious ceremony because you have to be lie low and decent in a church, for example its not likely to visit a church with T-Shirts and Shorts. At least not in catholic churches, as a catholic myself I cannot speak for the Protestants, but the protestantic weddings I attended included also no bride with a great neckline.
Not in all european countries. In euopean Caountries where you have a State Religion like in the UK, Spain and the scandinavian Countries only a reluigious Weddinng need. (In the Uk if you marry in an aglican Ceremony). Then you sign a register after or during the Ceremony, It's Germany, France and the Benelux Countries where the civil Wedding is the only legal Wedding.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 10-18-2009, 05:22 AM

I posted this in another thread but no one answered so I'm hoping someone can/will here!

I read The Queen wasn't invited to Freddie Windsor/Sophie Winkleman wedding due to royal protocol. Can someone tell me exactly what that was? Just curious to know.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
I also noticed that in royal weddings the bridesmaids walk behind the bride instead of in front like we do here in the US. Is that a European tradition or just a royal tradition?
The purpose of a bridesmaid is exactly that - to act as a "maid" to bride, to assist the bride with her dress, bouquet etc and to carry her train. I'm not sure how a bridesmaid is expected to do these jobs when she is walking in front of the bride - surely by walking behind the bride, a bridesmaid can ensure the train or veil doesn't get caught or can assist properly if the bride trips etc.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:16 AM
Royal Highness

I would like to enquire about British Royal weddings. Does anyone know why following the wedding of Princess Margaret where the royal guests & most family members wore long gowns, the tradition now seems to be for short outfits? Is it to do with the time the weddings have taken place? I would love to see a return to the long gowns such as we saw at the recent Swedish nuptials. (Is it nevertheless a growing trend amongst European Royals?)
Old 09-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
I would like to enquire about British Royal weddings. Does anyone know why following the wedding of Princess Margaret where the royal guests & most family members wore long gowns, the tradition now seems to be for short outfits? Is it to do with the time the weddings have taken place? I would love to see a return to the long gowns such as we saw at the recent Swedish nuptials. (Is it nevertheless a growing trend amongst European Royals?)
It depends on the wedding itself and whose it is.

For the three Danish Weddings (Joachim x2 and Frederik), Greece (Tatiana and Nikoloas), Norway (both of them) had guests wearing long gowns just like the ones seen at Victoria's wedding.
The Netherlands and Spain have a more "Ascot outfit" type dress code, don't know why perhaps because of the weather or the time etc.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It depends on the wedding itself and whose it is.

For the three Danish Weddings (Joachim x2 and Frederik), Greece (Tatiana and Nikoloas), Norway (both of them) had guests wearing long gowns just like the ones seen at Victoria's wedding.
The Netherlands and Spain have a more "Ascot outfit" type dress code, don't know why perhaps because of the weather or the time etc.
In the 1960's and most daytime Weddings the dresscode was long gowns with Hats for the ladies (like at Prinsjesdag) like at Princess Margaret's Wedding. This was also the case at the Wedding of Queen Beatrix and Princess Margriet, at the 2 greek Weedings etc. The last Wedding who had this dresscode where the Weddings of Grand Duke Henri and the Princesses Marie Astrid and Margaretha of Luxembourg. No all daytime Weddings the dresscode for the ladies is short gown and hats.
The difference to the scandiavian Weddings is that this take place in the afternoon and then the dresscode is white tie. Reason for this this that mosten there is a big dinner and ball after the Wedding and the Guests would have no time to change dresses etc.

Royal Travel and Events

Tags
ceremony, protocol, royal weddings