Royal Weddings Questions and Discussion Past and Future

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Besides matters of taste or tradition, a royal wedding is also often an Act of State, with the presence of Government, Parliament, "High Colleges of State", the judiciary, the armed forces, the Corps Diplomatique, etc. Not to mention heads of state, crowned heads and other distinghuised guests. It is common sense to dress conservatively, befitting the solemn event.

Besides that, such a wedding is the first event of a royal bride (when marrying into a royal family) to "set" herself. A Letizia entered the church, Her Royal Highness The Princess of Asturias left the church. A Máxima entered the church, Her Royal Highness The Princess of Orange left the church. A 'girlie" or a "sexy" look does not combine very well with the dignified, solemn, regal and stately appearance a new royal wants to make. A 'girlie' or a 'sexy' look also does not combine very well with the often historic jewels or an antique veil which is combined with the gown.

Last edited:
Strapless means nothing above the decolletage at all as in the case of Tessy Anthony.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/e9/fc/90/e9fc9058ef23893251d374105307efc6.jpg

Victoria's gown didn't actually qualify as 'off the shoulder".

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_L7JC05D4B...-19--WeddingVictoriaJewelry--AllOverPress.jpg

There you go. I obviously had no idea what I was talking about. I'm much better at the black skinny jeans and loose fitting t-shirts I always seems to end up in. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

The reason I ask is because I've seen pix of a lot of royals brides who have strap less under lace, and it's becoming quite repetitive.

The reason I ask is because I've seen pix of a lot of royals brides who have strap less under lace, and it's becoming quite repetitive.

Well, the lace means it's not strapless, of course.

Prominent use of lace has been a recent trend with wedding dresses (which isn't to say it wasn't often used before, of course), much like how strapless wedding dresses started becoming a trend in the '90s. And strapless dresses seem to be slowly fading out of style.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I know I read many years ago that Queen Elizabeth II's wedding gown was officially ok'd by then head of C of E prior to it's making. A drawing was presented and signed. This illustration still in private papers of queen. Has anyone else read about this years ago?

In what countries does the civil ceremony come before the religious ceremony? Are there any countries in which the religious ceremony comes before the civil ceremony?

When the imperial couple marry in Russia, two crowns were held above the couple's heads. Were the crowns the property of the church?

Last edited by a moderator:
When the imperial couple marry in Russia, two crowns were held above the couple's heads. Were the crowns the property of the church?

I believe the actual crowns held above their heads during the ceremony likely belonged to the church.

But beyond that, the bride would have on her head (not held above) but a crown and a tiara. The 'nuptial' jewels of the Russian royals were extensive.

Russian Imperial Nuptial Jewels | The Enchanted Manor

In wedding ceremonies performed in an Orthodox Church crowns are held above the bride and groom, usually by family members, before being placed on their heads. The crowns can be metal but can also be simple garlands made from flowers.

Customs vary but in the past the crowns belonged to the bridal couple who were even expected to wear them for several days after the wedding. Today many Orthodox churches will provide crowns if the bride and groom chose not to provide their own (in which case the crowns must be returned after the ceremony).

I suspect the Romanovs provided their own crowns. They certainly wouldn't want to use "common" crowns worn by others! The "Nuptial Crown" mentioned in the article posted above by Countessmeout was the crown used by generations of Romanov brides - held over them during the ceremony before being placed on their heads.

In what countries does the civil ceremony come before the religious ceremony? Are there any countries in which the religious ceremony comes before the civil ceremony?

I don't think there are any western countries where the religious wedding takes place before the civil. Not sure about islamic countries.

Among those requiring a civil wedding before a religious wedding can be held are the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany.

In almost all countries on the Continent a legal marriage is required. Also in Spain and Italy, but there a religious officiant can be legally registered by the State and be allowed to officiate at weddings, if so, then such a religious marriage can be registered as civil union indeed.

In all cases it is the civil union which counts.

Royal Wedding- Need to be in a Chapel?

Hello, I was just wondering if you are a minor royal (or the sibling to the heir e.g Prince Harry) do you have to get married in a chapel or could you choose to get married in a garden wedding ect? Was just wondering what the rules are for royals who are not in heir? - mainly thinking about British Royal Family but happy to hear about others also.

Thank you :)

I don't think garden weddings are that popular in the UK - probably because of the unpredictable weather.

I do not see a reason why an Anglican wedding could not take place in a garden if the local regulations provide for that.

A foreign example: just last week the future duke of Alba (highest in rank after the Spanish royal family) got married in the garden instead of the chapel of Liria Palace.

Religious Weddings [which are usual in the BRF] can ONLY take place on 'Consecrated ground'. ie in a Church. so no Garden Weddings there..
Civil Weddings can be held wherever a licence to hold them is granted...

Hello, I was just wondering if you are a minor royal (or the sibling to the heir e.g Prince Harry) do you have to get married in a chapel or could you choose to get married in a garden wedding ect? Was just wondering what the rules are for royals who are not in heir? - mainly thinking about British Royal Family but happy to hear about others also.

Thank you :)

The heir to the British throne married in a registry office which would suggest rather conclusively that there is no need for a church/chapel wedding, even in Britain. It is usual in Britain because of the fact that the CoE is an established church with bishops having seats in the House of Lords and those same bishops being appointed by the Queen on the say-so of the Prime Minister.

In some of the European countries it is necessary to have a civil service for the marriage to be legal. They may then choose to have a religious service if they wish.

And the Duke of Windsor was married in the music room of a French chateau.

Which seemed the only place at the time the wedding might indeed be allowed to happen. ;)

Religious Weddings [which are usual in the BRF] can ONLY take place on 'Consecrated ground'. ie in a Church. so no Garden Weddings there..
Civil Weddings can be held wherever a licence to hold them is granted...

Is that a requirement by the Anglican church? Edit: found this website and although it doesn't explicitly say it is required it is assumed that the church wedding indeed takes place in a church building.

If any church would require it, I would think it would be the Roman Catholic church, nonetheless the duke of Hurscar had his roman catholic wedding in the garden of Liria Palacd last week. So apparently it is not that hard to get around it (probably consecrating the garden for that day?).

Protestant church don't consecrate church buildings, so the 'consecrated ground' argument wouldn't hold for all churches.

Last edited:
If any church would require it, I would think it would be the Roman Catholic church, nonetheless the duke of Hurscar had his roman catholic wedding in the garden of Liria Palacd last week. So apparently it is not that hard to get around it (probably consecrating the garden for that day?).

Prince Albert II also married in the Palace forecourt and not the chapel it might have something to do with the heat or chapel size in warmer climates?

I'd imagine its not an issue once the bishop/Archbishop approves?

Anglican ceremonies at least have to be conducted in a church (not so in every country and denomination). If you want to be married outside a church, you can only have a civil wedding. But then you would have if you chose a blessing performed by a priest after.

There are also strict regulations about where you can hold a civil ceremony in the UK. Was one if the reasons Charles had to have it at registry office.

https://www.confetti.co.uk/wedding-advice/ceremonies/why-you-cant-get-married-where-you-want

The royals tend to have religious weddings because of their role in the church. Even minor royals stick to that. Further from the throne, as civil weddings become more common, we may see that change as time goes on. But close to the throne, like Harry, no.

Edward and Charles are not true examples. Edward was marrying a twjce divorced woman which was not allowed. While Charles could have married Camilla in the church as rules changed, it was decided against. Since Camilla had a place in the break up if his first marriage, it would have been seen by many as special treatment for him. And for thevfuturevgeae if the church, it wasn't seen as sending the right message.

Is that a requirement by the Anglican church? Edit: found this website and although it doesn't explicitly say it is required it is assumed that the church wedding indeed takes place in a church building.

Protestant church don't consecrate church buildings, so the 'consecrated ground' argument wouldn't hold for all churches.
Presumably the Duke obtained permission from his Bishop, a requirement before a Roman Catholic marriage ceremony can be performed outside a Roman Catholic church.

In réponse to the question "Hello, I was just wondering if you are a minor royal (or the sibling to the heir e.g Prince Harry) do you have to get married in a chapel or could you choose to get married in a garden wedding ect? Was just wondering what the rules are for royals who are not in heir? " I think Charles and Edward are the best examples, because of their extreme visibility in the royal family. Their extenuating circumstances aside, they are foremost examples of how the family looks at wedding ceremonies.

Royal family members need not get married in an Anglican Church. The family may prefer a church ceremony, but civil ceremonies and ceremonies not in a chapel have prominently occurred. And the family still stands.

Presumably the Duke obtained permission from his Bishop, a requirement before a Roman Catholic marriage ceremony can be performed outside a Roman Catholic church.

So, the question therefore is whether that would be possible in the CoE as well.

At Princess Elizabeth's 1947 wedding, her cousins Prince William of Gloucester and Prince Michael of Kent served as page boys.William and Michael carried Elizabeth's wedding train.
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/79666700
Is there any wedding prior to hers where only pageboys carried the wedding train?

There is also a difference between a simple Catholic marriage ceremony and one with a full sacramental mass.

Last edited:
Caroline and Albert of Monaco both had their Nuptial Masses celebrated in the Palace forecourt.

A baptized Catholic couple is encouraged to celebrate Mass during the exchange of vows but it is not necessary, and it does not affect the validity of their union.

Inside or outside of Mass it is considered a binding Catholic union as long as there is a priest and two witnesses.

Last edited:
Has princess Elizabeth been linked to any particular boyfriends yet? While nothing official has been said both Princess Ingrid and Princess Amalia have been linked to specific individuals, at least in the gossip rags.

Has princess Elizabeth been linked to any particular boyfriends yet? While nothing official has been said both Princess Ingrid and Princess Amalia have been linked to specific individuals, at least in the gossip rags.

Ingrid-Alexandra arrived with her boyfriend at her own birthday party IIRC, so she made it quite clear that she was 'seeing someone' (and which specific someone). Amalia has been more secretive/private.

She might emulate her father and not appear in public with her partner until she is ready to announce her engagement.

But I hope not.:ermm:

Back
Top Bottom