The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps we can add actual numbers of some recent (or older) royal weddings to this thread as a comparison?

I think the Earl and Countess of Wessex had about 400-500 guests at their wedding but there were more than 1,000 guests at Infanta Cristina's wedding to handball player Inaki Urdangarin and about 1,00-1,200 guests at Felipe and Letizia's wedding.

Old 07-02-2005, 05:02 AM
Majesty

what is the usal entering protocal for royals who comes first who comes last

Old 07-16-2005, 01:44 AM
Nobility

Royal brides and their veils

I love looking at the June 2005 newsletter with all those wonderful pictures of royal weddings-so gorgeous!
My question is not strictly related to royalty, but I'd always assumed that brides like Princess Mary and Princess Letitzia who their veils behind their faces through the whole wedding were adopting a more modern tradition than brides who were their veil over their face but when I looked at these pictures I saw a lot of older photos of the same thing. I was just wondering if there is any tradition to do that, or if it depends on the culture, or is it just personal preference if they want their veil to cover their face?
Old 07-16-2005, 10:50 AM
Serene Highness

I think what you're describing is the blusher (the part of the veil that will come forward to cover the face). I believe having a blusher is the bride's personal preference and depends on if the tiara and veil will hold it well. Early brides such as Queen Victoria, and Alexandra of Denmark did not have blushers. Queen Elizabeth did not in the 40s, but Diana, Sarah, and Sophie all did in the 80s and 90s. Grace Kelly had one in the 50s. So I guess the fashion era might influence the blusher, but it's purely personal preference.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge
I think what you're describing is the blusher (the part of the veil that will come forward to cover the face). I believe having a blusher is the bride's personal preference and depends on if the tiara and veil will hold it well. Early brides such as Queen Victoria, and Alexandra of Denmark did not have blushers. Queen Elizabeth did not in the 40s, but Diana, Sarah, and Sophie all did in the 80s and 90s. Grace Kelly had one in the 50s. So I guess the fashion era might influence the blusher, but it's purely personal preference.

I'm not sure, but I think that royals can't cover their face, so brides who are royal by birth don't have a blusher. All the brides with blusher you mentioned - Diana, Sarah, Sophie and Grace - weren't royals by birth.

But I'm waiting for an expert.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisaR
I'm not sure, but I think that royals can't cover their face, so brides who are royal by birth don't have a blusher. All the brides with blusher you mentioned - Diana, Sarah, Sophie and Grace - weren't royals by birth.

But I'm waiting for an expert.
No, I think it is as EmpressRouge suggested -- a personal preference by the bride.

Infanta Elena, who is royal born, wore a blusher at her 1995 wedding (June 2005 Newsletter: The Princess Brides) but her sister, Infanta Cristina did not choose one for her 1997 wedding (June 2005 Newsletter: The Princess Brides).

Princess Margriet of the Netherlands donned one for her 1967 wedding to Pieter van Vollenhoven. (June 2005 Newsletter: The Princess Brides)

Lady Helen Taylor (nee Windsor) also doned a blusher for her 1992 wedding to Tim Taylor. (June 2005 Newsletter: The Princess Brides)

The flip side is that plenty of non-royal born brides did not don blushers, too.

Among them Mette-Marit Hoiby (June 2005 Newsletter: The Princess Brides), Marie-Chantal Miller (June 2005 Newsletter: The Princess Brides), Laurentien Brinkhorst (June 2005 Newsletter: The Princess Brides), Mabel Wisse Smit (June 2005 Newsletter: The Princess Brides), Marilene van den Broek (June 2005 Newsletter: The Princess Brides), Annette Sekreve (June 2005 Newsletter: The Princess Brides), and Angela Brown (June 2005 Newsletter: The Princess Brides).

Nothing I've ever read about royal weddings implies that non-royal brides must don blushers while royal-born brides do not. It's simply a matter of what one is comfortable with or how traditional one wants to be.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:51 PM
Nobility

I agree, I think it is a choice, depending on the look the bride is going for.

Personally I love them when they have a blusher (never knew it was called that!), it just looks so romantic.

I have never seen the wedding of Diana and Charles, what I mean is I have seen clips but not the whole service.

I have always wondered how Diana's tiara sat above her blusher on the way in, and on the way out even though the blusher was now off her face the tiara was still visable.

How was this done? Did they go off camera and someone fixed it around?

Just curious.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:15 AM
Courtier

Thumbs up

All the blushers I've seen can be lifted back from the bride's face for the kiss :) so I'm assuming that while Diana and Charles were off-camera signing the registry, that someone lifted it up and arrranged it beneath the Spencer tiara. Agreed, it's a nice touch.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't like veils like princesses Margriet or Elena with had. If I choose veil or not it will be depend of my weddingdress. Always I can choose a head-dress:)
Old 05-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Commoner

modesty

i was just wondering: what is the rule when it comes to royal weddings about showing skin? How much of their shoulders could a royal bride show and still be seen as dressing appropriately??
Old 05-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Gentry

I believe that generally speaking, royal brides are supposed to cover their shoulders (at least short sleeves) and not be too low cut. Beyond that, I'm not sure. Maybe someone else knows the specifications for you.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't know if it was posted before, but:
When a common-girl going to royal family who pay for her wedding-dress?
Are there any recipes, rules about that future bride's dowry?
How it was with Maxima, Mary, Mete-Marit, Letizia and other princesses?
Old 05-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Royal Highness

Why are all royal wedding dresses 3/4 or long-sleeved? Is it tradition or a question of modesty? I see a lot of tasteful strapless and halter-top wedding dresses but I'm guessing that's too informal for a royal wedding? I ask because most of the royal ladies don't mind wearing strapless, halter, and one-shoulder dresses for galas.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by soCal girl
I ask because most of the royal ladies don't mind wearing strapless, halter, and one-shoulder dresses for galas.
Well, there's a big difference between a gala and a wedding. It is bad taste and disrespectful to come to a church with a strapless dress (be you royal or not), just like it would be, if a man decided to wear shorts.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsa M.
Well, there's a big difference between a gala and a wedding. It is bad taste and disrespectful to come to a church with a strapless dress (be you royal or not), just like it would be, if a man decided to wear shorts.
Funny answer but totaly right :p The use, for a woman, is toa wear a long wedding dress, royal or not !
Old 05-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsa M.
There is a big difference between gala and weddings. I suppose it is in bad taste to come into a church with a more revealing dress. But nowadays, I see so many non-royals wearing halter tops, spaghetti straps, and strapless wedding dress into churches. Granted, they are not royals. Just curious :) .
Old 05-13-2006, 04:50 AM
Aristocracy

how come the royals never kiss at the alter like commoners do but after they bow , curstiy to the King and Queen , they walk down further at the steps they kiss?

What about Royal women that marry commoner men, who aren't in the Army, Navy, Air force or Marines so they don't have a uniform, what is the male commoner's outfit for his wedding?
Old 05-13-2006, 06:07 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRedDevils
What about Royal women that marry commoner men, who aren't in the Army, Navy, Air force or Marines so they don't have a uniform, what is the male commoner's outfit for his wedding?
It's the same outfit every commoner man should wear: a morning coat (frac, jaquette). By the way, a smoking never, ever comes to a church!
Old 05-24-2006, 02:32 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRedDevils
how come the royals never kiss at the alter like commoners do
Don't know whether it has to do with whether you're a royal or a commoner, but I remember when Haakon and Mette married the reporter said kissing in the church wasn't allowed. Thus they waited until they were outside and then just kissed in front of the church.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:14 AM
Nobility

Why do royal wedding dresses have long trains?

Tags
ceremony, protocol, royal weddings