Royal Weddings Questions and Discussion Past and Future

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe that generally speaking, royal brides are supposed to cover their shoulders (at least short sleeves) and not be too low cut. Beyond that, I'm not sure. Maybe someone else knows the specifications for you.

I don't know if it was posted before, but:
When a common-girl going to royal family who pay for her wedding-dress?
Are there any recipes, rules about that future bride's dowry?
How it was with Maxima, Mary, Mete-Marit, Letizia and other princesses?

Why are all royal wedding dresses 3/4 or long-sleeved? Is it tradition or a question of modesty? I see a lot of tasteful strapless and halter-top wedding dresses but I'm guessing that's too informal for a royal wedding? I ask because most of the royal ladies don't mind wearing strapless, halter, and one-shoulder dresses for galas.

soCal girl said:
I ask because most of the royal ladies don't mind wearing strapless, halter, and one-shoulder dresses for galas.
Well, there's a big difference between a gala and a wedding. It is bad taste and disrespectful to come to a church with a strapless dress (be you royal or not), just like it would be, if a man decided to wear shorts.

Elsa M. said:
Well, there's a big difference between a gala and a wedding. It is bad taste and disrespectful to come to a church with a strapless dress (be you royal or not), just like it would be, if a man decided to wear shorts.

Funny answer but totaly right :p The use, for a woman, is toa wear a long wedding dress, royal or not !

Elsa M. said:

There is a big difference between gala and weddings. I suppose it is in bad taste to come into a church with a more revealing dress. But nowadays, I see so many non-royals wearing halter tops, spaghetti straps, and strapless wedding dress into churches. Granted, they are not royals. Just curious :) .

how come the royals never kiss at the alter like commoners do but after they bow , curstiy to the King and Queen , they walk down further at the steps they kiss?

What about Royal women that marry commoner men, who aren't in the Army, Navy, Air force or Marines so they don't have a uniform, what is the male commoner's outfit for his wedding?

Last edited:
NJRedDevils said:
What about Royal women that marry commoner men, who aren't in the Army, Navy, Air force or Marines so they don't have a uniform, what is the male commoner's outfit for his wedding?
It's the same outfit every commoner man should wear: a morning coat (frac, jaquette). By the way, a smoking never, ever comes to a church!;)

NJRedDevils said:
how come the royals never kiss at the alter like commoners do
Don't know whether it has to do with whether you're a royal or a commoner, but I remember when Haakon and Mette married the reporter said kissing in the church wasn't allowed. Thus they waited until they were outside and then just kissed in front of the church.

Why do royal wedding dresses have long trains?

NJRedDevils said:
how come the royals never kiss at the alter like commoners do
Where I live, we, mortal commoners, don't kiss in front of the altar either... for modesty or respect, we just give a kiss in the cheek, but never a wild kiss in the mouth, in front of the priest!!...:D I guess it's a cultural thing; it may depend on the region you come from;)

Last edited:
Danish Waltz

Could someone tell me about this, I do not understand why the people are all around the couple.

msleiman said:
Could someone tell me about this, I do not understand why the people are all around the couple.

It's a danish tradition, you gather closer and closer together around the couple during the dance, so in the end they have to kiss. It's something that happens at every danish wedding, I don't know the reason why.:)

I read an interesting article on the Sunday Observer about that. It reported that in the Christian social concept, a bride wears white to show the wedding guests and the world that she is a virgin. The face veil worn by the bride when she walks down the aisle is also to signify that she is a virgin. However, English royal brides do not wear the face veil because there is no question that they are not virgins at the time of marrying.
The queen did not wear a face veil at her wedding and the tradition was carried on by the other royal brides. But Lady Di wore a face veil at her wedding and this was commented on by the those covering the wedding. However, Diana was not a royal bride in the sense that she herself was not of 'the blood Royal', so one can conclude that she did the right thing. She became a 'royal bride' when she walked down the aisle with her new husband.

ElisaR said:
I'm not sure, but I think that royals can't cover their face, so brides who are royal by birth don't have a blusher. All the brides with blusher you mentioned - Diana, Sarah, Sophie and Grace - weren't royals by birth.

But I'm waiting for an expert. ;)

Countess Feodora

I did the math and Countess Feodora, second cousin (correct me if I'm wrong) to Queen Margrethe, wore a sleeveless gown at her wedding. I think she might be the only exception, if other people can prove me wrong.

rosenborg10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
correction

now i have to correct myself. i redid my math (thanks to Wikipedia's Cousin Chart) and since Countess Feadora's Great Grandfather is Queen Margrethe's Grandfather (the late King Christian X) then that would make them First cousins once removed, NOT second cousins. my bad.

Ok, I am not sure if this has been asked before or not, but I read somewhere that a royal bride must be a virgin when she marries. Is this true, and if so, how are they actually going to really know? I mean, are they going to have them examined. This is the 21st century, but while some of us believe in waiting untill marriage, some do not. Can someone explain please? And another thing, why just the bride, what about the groom? Must he be a virgin too?

ZandraRae said:
Ok, I am not sure if this has been asked before or not, but I read somewhere that a royal bride must be a virgin when she marries. Is this true, and if so, how are they actually going to really know? I mean, are they going to have them examined. This is the 21st century, but while some of us believe in waiting untill marriage, some do not.
Dear ZandraRae, the answer seems obvious, since practically all the recent royal brides had lived with another man (Mette-Marit, Mary, Letizia) or with their current husbands (Sophie, Máxima), before the wedding...

The 21st century has already arrived in royal circles too...

Last edited:
lise said:
Why do royal wedding dresses have long trains?

I think this is a remainder of long ago when only rich people (= artistocracy, royalty) could afford it. A lot of extra fabric, so a lot more expensive. So a sign of wealth and prestige.

Nowadays you can also get married with a 5 meter train if you would like to, but I think it would seem a bit ridiculous for the most of us.

Agree, specially when you take your wedding in a small church:D

Btw. about rich people and long trains do you remember the wedding gowns/trains of Celine Dion or Thalia? It was somthing biggg!

Question:
For what things bride which coming in to the royal family must/should pay? Any examples?

random question was Princess Mary allowed to fly friends over for her wedding or not? if she did do you think she paid for their flights and accomidation or would the royal family?

Btw, I didnt realise they weren't allowed to kiss in church!

bad_barbarella said:
random question was Princess Mary allowed to fly friends over for her wedding or not? if she did do you think she paid for their flights and accomidation or would the royal family?

Of course she was allowed to, else her family and friends woudn't have been there.

At royal weddings the accommodation is always paid for by the host of course, I suppose in this cas the flights as well.

bad_barbarella said:
I didnt realise they weren't allowed to kiss in church!

Yes they are, but it's not exactly apropriate to slobber all over each other in church - for anyone. I guess with millions of people watching you, you want to keep some privacy as well.

leonardinha said:
I read an interesting article on the Sunday Observer about that. It reported that in the Christian social concept, a bride wears white to show the wedding guests and the world that she is a virgin.
Then the Sunday Observer is wrong.* Otherwise I would like them to explain to me why the "the bride wears white on her wedding day" tradition is just about 200 years old while the the Christian religion is about 2000 years old. Fact is back in the day it was very difficult and expensive to make white fabric (of any kind). A white outfit could thus be afforded usually only by wealthy people. When Queen Victoria wore a white wedding gown she practically started this trend/ tradition. The wealthy women in GB wanted to catch a bit of that royal glamour and went on wearing white on their wedding days, too. When parallel to that the fashion industry improved their fabric productions and made white fabric (of any kind) affordable for more and more people the trend/ tradition of wearing white wedding gowns spread to all classes of people. :)

Ms Griffin said:
Then the Sunday Observer is wrong.* Otherwise I would like them to explain to me why the "the bride wears white on her wedding day" tradition is just about 200 years old while the the Christian religion is about 2000 years old. Fact is back in the day it was very difficult and expensive to make white fabric (of any kind). A white outfit could thus be afforded usually only by wealthy people. When Queen Victoria wore a white wedding gown she practically started this trend/ tradition. The wealthy women in GB wanted to catch a bit of that royal glamour and went on wearing white on their wedding days, too. When parallel to that the fashion industry improved their fabric productions and made white fabric (of any kind) affordable for more and more people the trend/ tradition of wearing white wedding gowns spread to all classes of people. :)

Very true! A woman's wedding gown often became her "Sunday best" gown as well. The average commoner chose a darker fabric because it was easier to clean and wore well. Also, the color white has been a Christian symbol of joy, not virginity. Traditionally, (although it is becoming a more blurred line of etiquette) only women who were not previously married wore a blusher, or indeed a veil at all.

so what about the middle east royal weddings? i heard they making their wedding celebrations at the palace is that true? what is the prodecure of a marriage especially in uae? where is the engagement take place? can anyone inform me please?

I have a few questions about royal weddings if someone would be so kind is to answer them to the best of your ability that would be awesome. thanks;)

1. I noticed that the in the non-catholic ceremonies hymns are sung but none for the catholic ceremonies. Why is that?

2. How much of a say does the bride get in the planning of the royal wedding?

3. How come for bridemaids some brides like Maxima & Mary have adults and Mathilde & Claire only had children.

Shadiyah2086 said:
I have a few questions about royal weddings if someone would be so kind is to answer them to the best of your ability that would be awesome. thanks;)

1. I noticed that the in the non-catholic ceremonies hymns are sung but none for the catholic ceremonies. Why is that?

I think I can answer that, at least partially. In Catholic ceremonies, it is a mass, not just a "marriage ceremony". Takes usually an hour to an hour and a half, like a regular mass. We do have hymms sung but they're just like the hymms sung at regular mass except they're specially for weddings.

That's partially true. A Catholic wedding does not always include a mass. For instance, if the bride or the groom is not a Catholic or if you don't want to take the Holy Communion, you can choose a wedding ceremony without a mass.

MoonlightRhapsody said:
I think I can answer that, at least partially. In Catholic ceremonies, it is a mass, not just a "marriage ceremony". Takes usually an hour to an hour and a half, like a regular mass. We do have hymms sung but they're just like the hymms sung at regular mass except they're specially for weddings.

Back
Top Bottom