The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-04-2015, 03:20 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Can brides get married in a strapless or spaghetti strap gown? I know woman on here don't like those gowns but if a bride did like a strapless could she wear it?

I'm not sure of the definition of strapless but Crown Princess Victoria had bare shoulders at her wedding.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 06-04-2015, 03:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Besides matters of taste or tradition, a royal wedding is also often an Act of State, with the presence of Government, Parliament, "High Colleges of State", the judiciary, the armed forces, the Corps Diplomatique, etc. Not to mention heads of state, crowned heads and other distinghuised guests. It is common sense to dress conservatively, befitting the solemn event.

Besides that, such a wedding is the first event of a royal bride (when marrying into a royal family) to "set" herself. A Letizia entered the church, Her Royal Highness The Princess of Asturias left the church. A Mßxima entered the church, Her Royal Highness The Princess of Orange left the church. A 'girlie" or a "sexy" look does not combine very well with the dignified, solemn, regal and stately appearance a new royal wants to make. A 'girlie' or a 'sexy' look also does not combine very well with the often historic jewels or an antique veil which is combined with the gown.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:15 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I'm not sure of the definition of strapless but Crown Princess Victoria had bare shoulders at her wedding.
Strapless means nothing above the decolletage at all as in the case of Tessy Anthony.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...105307efc6.jpg

Victoria's gown didn't actually qualify as 'off the shoulder".

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_L7JC05D4BC...lOverPress.jpg
Old 06-04-2015, 08:46 AM
Majesty

In sweden crown are used as symbols at weddings, are there any other countries that use crowns at the alter?
Old 06-04-2015, 11:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Strapless means nothing above the decolletage at all as in the case of Tessy Anthony.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...105307efc6.jpg

Victoria's gown didn't actually qualify as 'off the shoulder".

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_L7JC05D4BC...lOverPress.jpg

There you go. I obviously had no idea what I was talking about. I'm much better at the black skinny jeans and loose fitting t-shirts I always seems to end up in.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-06-2015, 03:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

The reason I ask is because I've seen pix of a lot of royals brides who have strap less under lace, and it's becoming quite repetitive.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-06-2015, 03:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
The reason I ask is because I've seen pix of a lot of royals brides who have strap less under lace, and it's becoming quite repetitive.
Well, the lace means it's not strapless, of course.

Prominent use of lace has been a recent trend with wedding dresses (which isn't to say it wasn't often used before, of course), much like how strapless wedding dresses started becoming a trend in the '90s. And strapless dresses seem to be slowly fading out of style.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:54 PM
Serene Highness

Correct me if I am wrong, but I know I read many years ago that Queen Elizabeth II's wedding gown was officially ok'd by then head of C of E prior to it's making. A drawing was presented and signed. This illustration still in private papers of queen. Has anyone else read about this years ago?

Tags
ceremony, protocol, royal weddings