The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea-n-tiaras View Post
You do not see anything sexual about bare shoulders, but ask a man what he thinks about bare shoulders. You are thinking like a woman - not a man.

A woman may sit in church with bare shoulders and see nothing wrong with it, but the men around her will notice and be distracted. And the wives of those men who are married will notice, too. And those wives won't think well of the one sitting in a church service displaying her bare shoulders.
If a man can't think about anything besides shoulders (which are not a sexual body part at all), that's his problem...not the dress's, or the woman wearing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea-n-tiaras View Post
The reason there are churches that require covered shoulders is that it is not conducive to worship. It draws the focus from God to bare shoulders.
Church is not the place to be advertising oneself.
Generally at a wedding, the main focus is on the bride regardless of what she's wearing, not on worship, even if it is a religious service.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Commoner

a strapless dress at a wedding? well, i think it's fine, it's like Maura724, the main focus is on the bride and the wedding... however some people do pay attention to what the bride is wearing.

and the comment about men? well, you know, men are men... a woman in a strapless dress can undress very easily and quick, so less time spending on useless activites

also if someone looks good in a strapless dress, it all depends on the body type of the girl/woman... for some this type of dress works and for some it doesn't. in my case I know I can't wear this type of dresses, because 1) my body type isn't suited for strapless ones, 2) no comment at the size of my chest...

Old 05-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Serene Highness

I think many forum readers are already familiar with my rants against strapless, but here it goes (again):
I never had anything against strapless dresses when they first came out in the 90s. As for appropriateness in a religious venue, I think it depends on everyone's person style and each place of worship. I find backless dresses more inappropriate in that sense. However, somehow strapless became the almost ONLY style and all the dresses looked like cookie-cutter copies. I mean, when you eliminate sleeves and even straps, there only two, maybe three types of necklines you can have--straight, sweetheart, and maybe shallow v-neck--so everything ends up looking the same.

My "favorite" moments are on shows like "Say Yes to the Dress" when brides-to-be say "I wanna look like princess!" and they go for the strapless dress. My signature tells how I react to those women.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Serene Highness

Most Princess-Dresses make the brides look like Baisers
Old 05-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Gentry

Is there anyone out there that has had a theme wedding or a "wacky" one?
e.g. man dresses as bride and woman as the groom?
Old 05-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Commoner

I never knew there was an issue about wearing a strapless wedding dress at a church wedding until I began reading about weddings here
It never entered my mind that it would be inappropriate & I personally don't think it is inappropriate

as for men not being able to focus on a ceremony in a church because a woman is in a strapless dress ... that is, in my opinion, extremely insulting to men
as another poster stated ... that is a problem with the man, not the woman nor the dress

as for colourful wedding dresses ... I love the work showcased by this designer
most of her dresses are strapless & I love the vibrant colours

Uptight Clothing; Englands leading designer of Couture corseted Period Inspired Fairytale wedding dresses, fantasy jewellery and bespoke Underwear corsets, by Janice whitehorn. Home of the coloured, corset alternative wedding dresses

I would go for something like this if I were to have a wedding ... which I do not anticipate at any time in my future
Old 05-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilsnub View Post
I'm not a fan of strapless... the majority of women who wear them don't quite, uh... fill them out nd that just looks funny.
Yes, I agree with this, they rarely look flattering always ill fitting, They have been around for so long it's nice to see a wedding dress like Kate Middletons.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Gentry

I agree.... in not much into fasion or weddings but her dress was extremely nice I think
Old 05-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Serene Highness

My problem with them is that they rarely look good on people. Some of the ones have too much boning, and the person's body looks lost inside. To compensate for that, designers smoosh the bosom to create some sort of fit, often overdoing that as well.

Someone with really lovely shoulders and upper chest and upper back can pull it off, especially if they aren't overly endowed in the bosom department. I think gloves look silly with strapless, I think a dropped, off-the-shoulder but not entirely under-the-armpit strapless is much more elegant.

Too many strapless dresses end up looking like...tube tops.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Gentry

Tube tops... I agree... and I also hate the long gloves, they do nothing.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Commoner

[QUOTE=Maura724;1252059]If a man can't think about anything besides shoulders (which are not a sexual body part at all), that's his problem...not the dress's, or the woman wearing it.

Yes, it is the man's problem. But, he can't help that he is a man. I don't see it as an insult to men. It's just the way they are created. Men and women are not wired the same. Men are attracted by what they SEE.

A woman is wise to consider the effect that her clothing choices will have.

My husband says if you took a poll of men they would not have the same opinion on bare shoulders.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Gentry

My opinion it all goes back to the woman... she may look good in a strapless dress or some type of evening wear but for the most part wedding dresses are stiffer and make an untoned figure move around in a stationary object. Personal preferance, I most like slim, silky, no ruffles, with a collar or whatever
Old 05-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post

Brides around the world are being ripped off by being limited to buying strapless dresses that are easier and cheaper to make, use less materials but costs the same! How many dress makers out there save time and money on not having to make sleeves and a proper top?!
So true!

It's also creatively lazy! A designer throws practically half their design possibilities out the window with a strapless dress.

I yearn to see the return of beautiful bridal gowns with sleeves! There is so much that can be done with fabric, short, long, 3/4 length, embroidery, different amounts of fullness(puff). Not to mention the neckline possibilities.

I loved Princess Anne's wedding gown sleeves!
Old 05-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Serene Highness

I totally agree about how it minimizes style - what's left to do? And yes, the neckline is gone (who would want to do that?)

Sigh. Well, perhaps we can hope for a return to creative necklines and sleeves. I admit that sleeves can be difficult (I had long bell sleeves on my dress and I loved them).

It's also a wedding dress we're talking about here, not an evening gown.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:25 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
My "favorite" moments are on shows like "Say Yes to the Dress" when brides-to-be say "I wanna look like princess!" and they go for the strapless dress. My signature tells how I react to those women.
Yes!! so true! Someone once posted they always see ,on the show, designs just like the one used by Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge, and I was like... No!
If there's something about the show that annoys me is what you said! Strapless seems to be the majority of the choices!

I prefer sleeves, and believe a lot of the women wearing strapless, could do without it!
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:38 AM
Gentry

Still... could be worse...
Brides
Old 05-13-2011, 01:04 AM
Gentry

and yet even worse than that...
The ”Enfant Terrible” of French Wedding Dresses
Old 05-13-2011, 07:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilsnub View Post
OMG !!!!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Royal Highness

In France all the the wedding dresses are strassless, I do not like these dresses, we can see in the glass of the wedding shop the wedding dresses are almost strassless, I tought it was special to France. It is the mode and all the brides follow this mode because there is not other dresses
Old 05-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieS View Post
OMG !!!!
As you say OMG !!!