On the Balcony

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Her_Majesty

Moderator Emeritus
City
Munich
Country
Germany
I love the tradition that Royals appear on the balcony, wave and sometimes kiss after they married!

Which balcony-appearance has been your favourite and why?

Post pictures of several balcony-scenes and kisses here. :flowers:

Willem-Alexander & Maxima

:flowers: My personal favourite balcony-scene!
They looked so happy together and their kiss was so cute! It was great to see them both so happy waving down to the people!
I have to say that I also love the way the balcony was decorated back then!

source;Polfoto

Good idea!

I liked Felipe and Letizia's. Mainly because for Elena and Cristina's weddings, there were no balcony appearances. At F&L's we got to see the whole RF and for me, that was great :flowers:

(source getty and polfoto)

Also the then Princess Elizabeth because she looked so beautiful and looking at the photos it looked so grand!

(source: getty)

I think it's great when the whole family appears on the balcony! (like in Denmark! :) )

Harald & Sonja
Sadly no kiss :rolleyes: ,but a cute scene, too. The people in front of the palace started screaming of joy when Harald took his wife's hand and they were waving together. King Olav appeared on the balcony,too.

sources: NRK, Beeldbank

Last edited:
Here's Philippe and Mathilde's balcony scene:

(Credit: Polfoto)

Mathilde and Mary are fans of kissing their men on the cheek! :lol:

By far, my favorite balcony scene is Mette-Marit and Haakon. My favorite part is when Haakon picked Marius up so that Marius could see the fireworks better. :wub:

I have to say Mette-Marit and Haakon, also. I just love the look of Haakon with his little step-son.:blush:

what about Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer's wedding in 1981 and Prince Andrew& Sarah Ferguson in 1986.

but we have no balcony for Prince Edward and Sophie-Rhys Jones's wedding in June 1999 dues Sophie's respectives

sara1981 said:
what about Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer's wedding in 1981 and Prince Andrew& Sarah Ferguson in 1986.
Diana and Charles

Corbis

Sarah and Andrew

source: APL pictures, originally posted by Mandy

Last edited:
Great pictures guys!:flowers:
I think my favorite balcony scene couple are Haakon and Mette-Marit. They look so in love!

My favorites were Haakon and Mette-Marit and Frederik and Mary. Maxima and Willem-Alexander were very loving too. I'm a sucker for the balcony scenes.

i must say that buckingham palace has the most imposing balcony among the rest of the balconies :D

Beatrix and Claus's balcony scene:

(Credit: DPA, APL, BEELDBANK)

Beatrix was a beautiful bride and Claus was so handsome! :wub:

soCal girl said:
Beatrix and Claus's balcony scene:

(Credit: DPA, APL, BEELDBANK)

Beatrix was a beautiful bride and Claus was so handsome! :wub:

Beatrix was a beautiful bride. I love her huge, flowing veil. I also love the white tulips on the balcony......very Holland. :)

Hugs & Kisses in Denmark

Mary and Frederik 2004- Many Hugs and Kisses :flowers:

Polfoto, Corbis

Corbis

Last edited:
prince laurent of belgium and Claire Coombs

Andrew And Sarah

from getty

Does anyone know:

Who was the first Royal couple that kissed on the balcony?:rolleyes:
I always wondered who made the start.

Her_Majesty said:
Does anyone know:

Who was the first Royal couple that kissed on the balcony?:rolleyes:
I always wondered who made the start.
Charles & Diana I think.

I'm just taking a wild guess and saying Prince Charles and Princess Diana, or maybe Princess Anne and her first husband (Mark Phillips, I believe). I just looked for balcony pictures from waaaay back when and so far none have come up. Again, I'm just taking a guess. For all I know, it could have started in Denmark or Spain. Anyone want to try and find out the real start of the balcony kiss, please be my guest. I found so much pictures leading to Romeo and Juliet, so I don't know if its a sign or not.

puppigurl2005 said:
I'm just taking a wild guess and saying Prince Charles and Princess Diana, or maybe Princess Anne and her first husband (Mark Phillips, I believe). I just looked for balcony pictures from waaaay back when and so far none have come up. Again, I'm just taking a guess. For all I know, it could have started in Denmark or Spain. Anyone want to try and find out the real start of the balcony kiss, please be my guest. I found so much pictures leading to Romeo and Juliet, so I don't know if its a sign or not.
I already thought it have been Dianah and Charles...
I don't think it started in Spain (even Letizia and Felipe didn't "really kiss"... you know what I mean)...
Denmark: I don't know. Margrethe and Henrik didn't kiss.. What about Joachim and Alexandra?

Her_Majesty said:
I don't think it started in Spain (even Letizia and Felipe didn't "really kiss"... you know what I mean)...
Denmark: I don't know. Margrethe and Henrik didn't kiss.. What about Joachim and Alexandra?

Ther was no kiss from the balcony when Alexandra and Joachim became man and wife simpley because it was in November and it was snowing on their weddingday.

I don´t know about Margrethe and Henrik because i was not born at the time,so i can´t give you a answer.

Her_Majesty said:

Sorry Her_Majesty, didn't realize you already thought it was Diana and Charles. I was too busy ranting on about the balcony scene. and i did notice that Felipe and Letizia didnt really on the balcony (maybe it was just nerves or maybe because of something to do with thier religion, that just IMO)
anyways, i tried to search for the begining of the balcony kiss, but i kept being directed back here. maybe there's a history book devoted to all things about royal weddings (i wish, because if there was, i would already have it). Im still trying, but my gut says it was Princess Di and Charles

I'm going out on a limb... but I'm pretty confident it was Charles and Diana first (can't imagine the Queen or Princess Anne doing that, and I know I've never seen photos of either kissing their newlywed husband on the balcony).

All these pics are wonderful. First, it is the love of the couple who is marrying, and then, the balcony, the symbol of the communication between the Royals and their peoples. I LOVE Royals waving in balconies! :lol:

I can't really pic a single photo, or a single couple among all these great ones you posted in this thread. However, I'll said that one of my favorite couples is the one of Prince Claus and Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands.

Vanesa.:wub:

Her_Majesty said:
I love the tradition that Royals appear on the balcony, wave and sometimes kiss after they married!

Which balcony-appearance has been your favourite and why?

Post pictures of several balcony-scenes and kisses here. :flowers:
My favourite balcony appearance is of HRH Prince Charles,The Prince of Wales and the late Diana,Princess of Wales.

iowabelle said:
I'm going out on a limb... but I'm pretty confident it was Charles and Diana first (can't imagine the Queen or Princess Anne doing that, and I know I've never seen photos of either kissing their newlywed husband on the balcony).

Anne and Mark certainly did not kiss on the Balcony. I too am confident that Charles and Diana were the first to do so in the UK.

Joachim and Alexandra did not kiss on a balcony but there is a photo of them kissing either as they exited the Church or before entering the Reception (Both occasions when posing for the Press)

My favourite balcony appearance ever is Hakkon and Mette Marit :wub:
I´ve never seen before the photos of Queen Elisabeth´s appearance. They are really beautiful.

I loved both Charles and Diana's and Andrew and Sarah's balcony appearances.

Firstly, I loved Charles and Diana's because she looked very demure, a good example of a just married, virginal bride. She looked very dewey and in love and innocent, which matched the feeling of the day.

I loved Sarah and Andrews as there was lots of fun, a sense of people being relaxed (unliked Charles and Diana's) and when they kissed you knew they meant it. Also very cute of Andrew to deal with her train!

Anne and Mark certainly did not kiss on the Balcony. I too am confident that Charles and Diana were the first to do so in the UK.

Joachim and Alexandra did not kiss on a balcony but there is a photo of them kissing either as they exited the Church or before entering the Reception (Both occasions when posing for the Press)

Joachikm and Alexandra where not on a Balcony as there is no one at either Frederiksborg (where the marriage took place) or Fredenborg (where the ball was). And it was already dark as the wedding was in Saturday-afternoon in Winter.

Back
Top Bottom