The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppigurl2005
I'm just taking a wild guess and saying Prince Charles and Princess Diana, or maybe Princess Anne and her first husband (Mark Phillips, I believe). I just looked for balcony pictures from waaaay back when and so far none have come up. Again, I'm just taking a guess. For all I know, it could have started in Denmark or Spain. Anyone want to try and find out the real start of the balcony kiss, please be my guest. I found so much pictures leading to Romeo and Juliet, so I don't know if its a sign or not.
I already thought it have been Dianah and Charles...
I don't think it started in Spain (even Letizia and Felipe didn't "really kiss"... you know what I mean)...
Denmark: I don't know. Margrethe and Henrik didn't kiss.. What about Joachim and Alexandra?

Old 11-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty
I don't think it started in Spain (even Letizia and Felipe didn't "really kiss"... you know what I mean)...
Denmark: I don't know. Margrethe and Henrik didn't kiss.. What about Joachim and Alexandra?
Ther was no kiss from the balcony when Alexandra and Joachim became man and wife simpley because it was in November and it was snowing on their weddingday.

I don´t know about Margrethe and Henrik because i was not born at the time,so i can´t give you a answer.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Sorry Her_Majesty, didn't realize you already thought it was Diana and Charles. I was too busy ranting on about the balcony scene. and i did notice that Felipe and Letizia didnt really on the balcony (maybe it was just nerves or maybe because of something to do with thier religion, that just IMO)
anyways, i tried to search for the begining of the balcony kiss, but i kept being directed back here. maybe there's a history book devoted to all things about royal weddings (i wish, because if there was, i would already have it). Im still trying, but my gut says it was Princess Di and Charles
Old 12-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I'm going out on a limb... but I'm pretty confident it was Charles and Diana first (can't imagine the Queen or Princess Anne doing that, and I know I've never seen photos of either kissing their newlywed husband on the balcony).
Old 12-05-2006, 12:14 AM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

All these pics are wonderful. First, it is the love of the couple who is marrying, and then, the balcony, the symbol of the communication between the Royals and their peoples. I LOVE Royals waving in balconies!

I can't really pic a single photo, or a single couple among all these great ones you posted in this thread. However, I'll said that one of my favorite couples is the one of Prince Claus and Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands.

Vanesa.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:57 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I love the tradition that Royals appear on the balcony, wave and sometimes kiss after they married!

Which balcony-appearance has been your favourite and why?

Post pictures of several balcony-scenes and kisses here.
My favourite balcony appearance is of HRH Prince Charles,The Prince of Wales and the late Diana,Princess of Wales.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
I'm going out on a limb... but I'm pretty confident it was Charles and Diana first (can't imagine the Queen or Princess Anne doing that, and I know I've never seen photos of either kissing their newlywed husband on the balcony).
Anne and Mark certainly did not kiss on the Balcony. I too am confident that Charles and Diana were the first to do so in the UK.

Joachim and Alexandra did not kiss on a balcony but there is a photo of them kissing either as they exited the Church or before entering the Reception (Both occasions when posing for the Press)
Old 05-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

My favourite balcony appearance ever is Hakkon and Mette Marit
I´ve never seen before the photos of Queen Elisabeth´s appearance. They are really beautiful.

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 06-11-2009, 07:56 AM

I loved both Charles and Diana's and Andrew and Sarah's balcony appearances.

Firstly, I loved Charles and Diana's because she looked very demure, a good example of a just married, virginal bride. She looked very dewey and in love and innocent, which matched the feeling of the day.

I loved Sarah and Andrews as there was lots of fun, a sense of people being relaxed (unliked Charles and Diana's) and when they kissed you knew they meant it. Also very cute of Andrew to deal with her train!
Old 06-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Anne and Mark certainly did not kiss on the Balcony. I too am confident that Charles and Diana were the first to do so in the UK.

Joachim and Alexandra did not kiss on a balcony but there is a photo of them kissing either as they exited the Church or before entering the Reception (Both occasions when posing for the Press)
Joachikm and Alexandra where not on a Balcony as there is no one at either Frederiksborg (where the marriage took place) or Fredenborg (where the ball was). And it was already dark as the wedding was in Saturday-afternoon in Winter.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 06-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Gentry

I thought that MT and Henri of Luxembourg were the first ones who kissed each other on the Balcony.....
Old 06-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Courtier

I don't know if it was done before but the first time I saw a kiss was Charles and Diana.

Does anyone remember when Andrew and Sarah were on the balcony and the crowd was chanting for them to kiss and Andrew acted as if he couldn't hear them? I thought that was funny.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Gentry

Mary and Frederik.

Mette-Marit and Hakon.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:05 AM
Nobility

King Carl XVI Gustaf and queen Silvia
http://hd.se/multimedia/dynamic/0027...ng_270366d.jpg
Välkommen till Sjöberg Bild Alla bilder
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 06-09-2010, 05:07 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Mary and Frederik

Willem-Alexander and Maxima

Felipe and Letizia

Old 06-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Commoner

Andrew and Sarah were the more amusing.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
thanks for the lovely pics... it had been so long I had forgotten what a lovely couple these two made as well.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Courtier

Maxima and Willem-Alexander are my favourite balcony couple :-)
She looked like she wanted to eat hem :-)
Old 04-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Majesty

there were a lovly photo of haakon and mette-marit on the belcony

the photo is from high up behind the couple and you could see the crowd
Old 04-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
there were a lovly photo of haakon and mette-marit on the belcony

the photo is from high up behind the couple and you could see the crowd
Yes that was beautiful!!
Here is one of these photos