Reigning Monarchs Getting Married

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rascal

Nobility
City
Lafayette
Country
United States
With so many discussion about weddings all over the royal landscape, I was intriqued with the idea of reigning monarchs marrying. Anyone with correct information please feel free to respond, but here is what my research has turned up

Reigning Kings (doesn't include Mswati III of Swaziland...too many to count)
1. Sultan Hassanl Bolkiah of Brunei wed in 2005 to Azrinaz Mazhar Hakim
2. King Mohammed VI of Morocco wed in 2002 to Salma Bennani
3. King Letsie III of Lesotho wed in 2000 to Karabo Mots'oeneng
4. Sultan Hassanl Bolkiah of Brunei wed in 1981 to Mariam Abdul Aziz
5. King Jigme Singye Wangchuck of Bhutan wed in 1979 to the four Shabrung sisters
6. King Hussein bin Talal of Jordan wed in 1978 to Lisa Halaby
7. King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden wed in 1976 to Silvia Sommerlath
8. King Hussein bin Talal of Jordan wed in 1972 to Alia Touqan
9. King Hussein bin Talal of Jordan wed in 1961 to Antoinette Gardner
10. King Baudoin of Belgium wed in 1960 to Dona Fabiola de Mora y Aragon
11. Prince Rainier III (I know, he is a sovereign prince, not a monarch) wed in 1956 to Grace Kelly
12. King Hussein bin Talal of Jordan wed in 1955 to Princess Dina of Egypt

Reigning Queens
1. Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands wed in 1901 to Duke Hendrick of Mecklenberg-Schwerin
2. Queen Isabella II of Spain wed in 1846 to Francisco de Asis de Borbon
3. Queen Victoria of Great Britain wed in wed in 1840 to Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha

Any guesses who the next reigning monarch to wed will be?

LOL - Probably Mswati III AGAIN :ROFLMAO:

But I would guess King Jigme Khesar of Bhutan or Albert II of Monaco

:previous: Maybe King Jigme Khesar of Bhutan will be the next king to marry!. He is only 30 years!

It's perhaps about time Albert II of Monaco pulled his finger out . . . ;)

What reigning monarchs are left? :)

In Europe, the only now unmarried Sovereigns are Prince Albert of Monaco and Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands, who is widow since 2002 and I don't think she will remarried.
And of course the Pope, but he can't marry for clear reasons.

I can't understand why Albert won't or can't take a bride. Doesn't he have to produce an heir for Monaco not to be returned to the French? A legitimate one, that is. Or does the crown pass to Caroline?

Or to Andrea. Caroline & Albert can die not long time one after another. They are nearly in the same age.

Swaziland's next king?

It most defenatly has to be one of his son's,that's the tradition.But unfortunately,as I see it,none of them have the potencial and as for marriage,I bet they'll follow their fathers footsteps.

I can't understand why Albert won't or can't take a bride. Doesn't he have to produce an heir for Monaco not to be returned to the French? A legitimate one, that is. Or does the crown pass to Caroline?

If Albert dies unmarried with no heir, the throne will pass to Caroline, who will most likely pass it to Andrea. :)

I thought it had to be a son? I remember in one of Princess Grace's biographies, after Albert was born (second child) the doctor said to Ranier "I congratulate you on your son and heir".

Succession law change

They changed the law;)

You are correct, royalsmartie. IIRC, prior to his death Prince Rainier was concerned both about Albert's unwed status as well as potential threats of claims from his illegitimate offspring, prompting the elderly and long-reigning sovereign prince to essentially issue a letters patent proclaiming Albert as his heir with his elder sister Caroline next in line followed by her children, then the younger sister Stephanie and her legitimate offspring (her child out of wedlock was specifically NOT mentioned as an heir).

They changed the law;)
But still a son has precedence before his sisters in the succession. Before the change in the law only the children of the Reigning Prince where in the line of succession. Since the change in the succession law also the children of his siblings can succeed. Those after the change the descendants of princess Antoinette where in line of succession until the death of Prince Rainier.

Doesn't he marry on the 2nd July first?

But still a son has precedence before his sisters in the succession. Before the change in the law only the children of the Reigning Prince where in the line of succession. Since the change in the succession law also the children of his siblings can succeed. Those after the change the descendants of princess Antoinette where in line of succession until the death of Prince Rainier.

Yes, and if he were to have a legitimate daughter, she would also take place in the line before his sisters, as the heiress presumptive, and if the second child were to be a boy, he would be the heir apparent, a head of Prince Albert's sisters and their children, as well as his sister. (just the way Caroline was heiress presumptive prior to Prince Albert's birth.)

Doesn't he marry on the 2nd July first?

and albert it is. wedding july 3th 2011

Yes-the religious is July 3rd, the civil will take place on July 2nd.

Back
Top Bottom