The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-23-2004, 03:30 PM
Aristocracy

Lookalike gowns

Don't alot of the wedding gowns lookalike, I mean royal wedding dresses. Like Marie-Chantal's, it looks alot like Princess Grace. And Mathilde's and Letizia's, long lost twins.

Old 12-24-2004, 08:32 AM
Nobility

Interesting point. If you also look at Princess Margaret's dress against her daughter-in-law, Serena Linley, they are very similar as well.

Eliza
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1993 David Linley and Serena Stanhope.jpg
Views:	1262
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	71008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Margaret.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	71009  

Old 12-24-2004, 03:26 PM
Nobility

Here are photos of Princess Grace and and Marie Chantal. As you mentioned, there are certainly siliarities!

Eliza
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1995 P - MarieChantal.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	71057   Click image for larger version

Name:	1956 Ranier and Grace Kelly.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	71058   Click image for larger version

Name:	1995 Pavls and Marie Chantal Miller.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	71059  
Old 12-25-2004, 12:10 PM
Courtier

the only similarity between mathilde and letizia's dress is the collar
Old 12-25-2004, 12:12 PM
Courtier

and I forgot to add that i see no similarity between grace and mariah's dresses,only the tops look alike and there are so many dresses like that
Old 12-25-2004, 12:23 PM
Heir Apparent

i remind about Princess Diana and Sophie-Rhys Jones have same gowns but its almost lookslike gowns i cant believe it!

Sara Boyce

p.s.cutegirl, please you would post that picture between Crown Princess Mathilde of Belguim and Crown Princess Letizia of Austria
Old 12-25-2004, 12:33 PM
Serene Highness

diana & sofie's wedding gowns

in a lot of pics of both diana & sophie. its like sophie copies diana style of dress. so i'm not surprise that sophie's dress looks a lot like diana. it would be nice if people could be a litte more inventive dont u think?
Old 12-26-2004, 06:35 AM
Courtier

the similarity of the collars...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9000051531-005.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	71342   Click image for larger version

Name:	64g.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	71343  
Old 12-26-2004, 09:27 AM
Courtier

I think there is absolutely no similarity between Sophie´s and Diana´s dress. Sophie married nearly 20 years after Diana. Diana had this typical 80´s style and it was a very big dress. Sophie had a minor dress with a short train and without Diana´s pomp.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Courtier

I think there are some similarities between Mathilde and Letizia's dresses in that they were both jackets with high collars over sheath dresses underneath them. But there are many bridal gowns that have this look, such as Martha Louise and Sophie's dresses. The difference between Mathide and Letizia's gowns is in the details such as the embroidery in each of their gowns. I believe Letizia's contained a lot of symbols that related to Asturias and those of the royal house as well as symbols of fertility. I am not sure what was on Mathilde's dress jacket.

I think there was absolutely nothing similar between Diana and Sophie's dresses at all. Diana's dress was puffy all around and had layers upon layers of fabric while Sophie's dress was pretty streamlined. The only similiarity is the one picture of both Diana and Sophie looking back on their way up to the church with their veils on.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by azile1710
Interesting point. If you also look at Princess Margaret's dress against her daughter-in-law, Serena Linley, they are very similar as well.

Eliza
I read that Serena purposefully chose for her dress to eminate that of her mother-in-law's. It was a nod to Princess Margaret's style and Serena's entrance into the family by carrying on style. A rather nice touch I thought.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Nobility

I read that as well! (Serena respectfully "copying" Margaret's dress)

I also agree that Diana and Sophie's dresses had absolutely nothing in common. The styles, sillouettes, fabrics and embelishments were all COMPLETELY different.

Eliza
Old 01-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Serene Highness

azile
alright, okay, u r right and iam wrong. but they do have the same hair style do u think?
Old 01-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by azile1710
Here are photos of Princess Grace and and Marie Chantal. As you mentioned, there are certainly siliarities!

Eliza
I think that style is a classic. You can see it in old hollywood movies from the 1950s and on brides today. The thing those dresses have in common ofcourse is the see-through or lace top and long sleeves. The bottom part is always different.
Princess Basma's daugther Farah wore a similar dress at her wedding a few months ago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled-copy.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	74872  
Old 01-04-2005, 09:14 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by semisquare
azile
alright, okay, u r right and iam wrong. but they do have the same hair style do u think?
I agree- there are certainly physical resemblances between Sophie and Diana. There is another thread in the British Royal Family section that compares some of their similar style.

I was just trying to point out that their wedding dresses were not very much alike.

Eliza
Old 01-04-2005, 09:17 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
I think that style is a classic. You can see it in old hollywood movies from the 1950s and on brides today. The thing those dresses have in common ofcourse is the see-through or lace top and long sleeves. The bottom part is always different.
Princess Basma's daugther Farah wore a similar dress at her wedding a few months ago.
Great point! I hadn't realized how this dress was so similar as well! Thanks!

Eliza
Old 01-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve
I read that Serena purposefully chose for her dress to eminate that of her mother-in-law's. It was a nod to Princess Margaret's style and Serena's entrance into the family by carrying on style. A rather nice touch I thought.
I did not know that nor did I see the similarity. That was a wonderful and classy gesture!
Old 01-13-2005, 02:49 AM
Aristocracy

The gown worn by Princess Mia in "The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement" was really, really similar to Princess Claire of Belgium's, right down to the tiaras.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	09.jpg
Views:	1143
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	78763   Click image for larger version

Name:	laurentbelgium1963-61.jpg
Views:	1623
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	78764  
"At times....I think that if you lifted my heart to your ear, you could hear the ocean. Yet sometimes, when the wind is warm or the crickets sing...I dream of a love for which even time will lie down and be still."
Old 01-13-2005, 09:19 AM
Courtier

If someone could post a picture of Princess Diana's dress and Mariah Carey's dress, they are almost identical. Mariah told designer Vera Wang to copy Diana's dress b/c she was fasinated by the wedding as a young girl.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenanne
The gown worn by Princess Mia in "The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement" was really, really similar to Princess Claire of Belgium's, right down to the tiaras.
wow that is so interesting!
Maybe they had a look at all the wedding dresses of all the real life princesses and the actress picked the one she liked most? The design suits the twenty-something character she played.

Tags
lookalikes, royal weddings, wedding dress