Lookalike Gowns

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Slightly similar, except Chrisitina's looks better off the shoulder.

This has been fun so far. Thx for posting all the photos.

I always think that the wedding gown of the following are similar - it's simply the current popular strapless gown with a lace top over it:
1) Princess Claire of Belgium
2) Princess Anita of Netherlands
3) Princess Pavlos of Greece

Similarly the following are just a strapless gown with a lace bolero jacket (be it short, 3-quarter or long sleeve)
1) Princess Nicholaos of Greece
2) Autumn Philips
3) Princess Marie of Denmark (jacket lookalike)
4) Lady Sophie Windsor

I do not really see why must it be some designers who created them - there's really not much originality & creativity to it - any of us could just have gown in such common design without costing much (I am not talking about the material but design here). Which is why I still prefer the following gowns - unique and most probably you will not see them around us because of the personalised designs and what a true royal wedding gown should be.
1) Queen Elizabeth (A true royal wedding dress for a future queen - the significant symbolic beading)
2) Sarah, Duchess of York (another true royal wedding dress - the significant symbolic embroidery)
3) Princess Letizia (another royal gown with embroidery of heraldic symbols)
4) Princess Maxima (the lace inset)
5) Princess Mary (the origami-alike folds & lace inset)
6) Princess Mette-Marit (the soft flowing of the silk tulle)
7) Princess Mabel (I know the bows looks hilarious but undeniable it is really a very personalised gown)

Lady Sarah Chatto and Mette Marits gowns looked alike

Zeina's and Claire's looked a like.

That's such a beautiful gown! One of the best I've recently seen by Pronovias! ;)

If it is inspired by Margrethe's?... Well, I think it ressemblances more Infanta Cristina's wedding dress... but yes, it is similar, especially in the skirt.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=123748&d=1113224445
What a lovely dress by Pronovias!

I also think it resembles Maxima's dress, but perhaps I'm seeing things as this is the kind of neckline I would have preferred her dress to have.

Grace Kelly and Kate Middleton
Absolutely! I also think there is similarity between Catherine's dress and Marie-Chantal's dress, although Catherine's was, for me, far lovelier. And I also think Catherine's dress has a hint of the Queen's and also Margaret's. Her dress was gorgeous, but I must admit that I was severely disappointed in the lack of originality (and, yes, this is only because it was a royal wedding gown...but maybe, like many, she grew up with a Grace Kelly dream dress).

Two princesses who wore the same gown at their weddings were princess Birgitta of Sweden and her younger sister Désirée.

Kate's dress looks like a duplicate of Isabella's especially the top.
People keep comparing it to Grace's and I don't see it, the only things similar are the lace at the shoulders and arms. OTH it looked like Kate went to Isabella's wedding and took most of her dress ideas; I also think the same about Charlene.

Last edited:
I loved Victoria's gown, it's on my Best list. But I like the Mota version even more...particularly the one on the right!;)

Here are more photos of the Mota dress that looks like Victoria's gown:

1 2 3

This Pronovias wedding dress looks like Madeleine's wedding gown:

I love this dress much more than Madeleine's dress.

Last edited:
There's was a discussion about similar wedding gowns on Sofia's fashion thread, so I thought I'd continue it here. On first glance, Sofia's dress did remind me of Kate's, but besides the lace sleeves, the gowns are really nothing alike.

It was also pointed out that Isabella Orsini and Kate had very similar gowns. I do see a similarity with the lace (on the sleeves and bodice), but that's where the similarities end. Isabella appears to be wearing a lace jacket and the rest of the dress is plain satin. Also the body of the dress is a lot fuller than Kate's.

Isabella Orsini and Kate Middleton Wedding Dress Pictures: Similar but Not the Same - Isabella Orsini - Zimbio

I think since a lot of brides want to stick with something classy yet stylish, it's probably hard for designers to come up with original ideas. That's why most royal bridal gowns end up having similar elements. Claire's gown reminded me of Stephanie's. The top half of Princess Cristina's reminded me of Mary's, Letizia's and Mathilde's had similar looks, etc.

:previous: Agree on all fronts! The main point is, that all the white, classic wedding gowns look alike... At first look also, it is not easy to find differences, but when you examine the details you realize each dress is unique... Even lace can have as much as a variety of patterns as you like...:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom