The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-13-2006, 01:43 AM
Commoner

the length of the wedding gown

Hi, I'm new to the forum!

I've a question, is there any regulation for the length of the wedding gown? For example, how many yards for crown princess? and for princess?

Old 10-13-2006, 02:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Hi uriel and welcome to the forums.

That's an interesting question. I might be wrong, but I don't think there are any regulations in regard to how much material is used. Each design is different and requires a different amount of material so I don't think they can say 'x yards for Crown Princesses and y yards for princesses, etc'.

I don't know if it's a 'rule', but most of the royal brides wear floor-length gowns just because the weddings are normally very formal. Shorter dresses (i.e. above the ankle) are normally for weddings that are less formal. A lot of brides have a train so it would be kind of weird if you had one with a shorter dress. Hope this helps!

Old 10-13-2006, 02:24 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle
Hi uriel and welcome to the forums.

That's an interesting question. I might be wrong, but I don't think there are any regulations in regard to how much material is used. Each design is different and requires a different amount of material so I don't think they can say 'x yards for Crown Princesses and y yards for princesses, etc'.

I don't know if it's a 'rule', but most of the royal brides wear floor-length gowns just because the weddings are normally very formal. Shorter dresses (i.e. above the ankle) are normally for weddings that are less formal. A lot of brides have a train so it would be kind of weird if you had one with a shorter dress. Hope this helps!
Hi Danielle, thank you for your answer!

I know that almost all of royal brides have a long train. So is there any rules for the length of the train? or the train can be as long as you like?
Old 02-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Lengths of the wedding gown trains

Does anyone know: How long are the wedding gown trains of the royal brides?
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Aristocracy

Only that Dianas was 25 feet long. And I thought it was beautful!
Old 02-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Few from me:

Royal Wedding Gowns
Old 02-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbugman View Post
Only that Dianas was 25 feet long. And I thought it was beautful!
Here are some pics. It was definitely fabulous !

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 02-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Sarah Ferguson a 17 foot train and a bodice nicely embroidered in gold.

Wedding Dress Trains
Old 02-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Aristocracy

I can't find an exact length for Princess Mabel's gown by Viktor & Rolf, but from pictures it looks to be 5 to six feet? Hard to tell with the bows.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:54 PM

I've always wanted someone to explain to me what the prestige is of these super long trains. Personally, I think they look ridiculous and sometimes downright ugly. Mary of Denmark dragged this ugly blanket of plain fabric behind her that seemed to have little to do with the rest of the dress. What does it prove? We already know they have lots of money - a few more yards of silk can't be that big a deal.

It's not that I dislike trains in general. The picture of Princess Grace at the "Royal Wedding Gowns" site linked above shows a train fanned out behind her in perfect proportion to the rest of the dress.

I just don't understand why so many people are impressed just because a piece of fabric is 20 feet long instead of 15.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Danish Crown Prince couple website had the details about the dress on it (a while ago), I'll have a look principessa.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Principessa, this is the Wedding page from the official website; and this is the page for the gown.
It says that the train was 6m long measured from the waste, and was made of 23.5 metres of duchess satin.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Christine's Royalty.net has a page for Mette Marit's wedding gown (here) - it says that:

Quote:
"...the skirt is flared with a two metre long train..."
Old 02-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Martha Louise's train:

Quote:
The train is three metres long and ends in a pointed gothic arch.

From this page of Christine's Royalty
Old 02-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

According to BBC News Maxima's wedding gown was:

Quote:
"...an ivory-coloured silk gown made by Valentino couture with a five-metre lace train, carrying a bouquet of white roses."
Old 02-08-2008, 12:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm sorry I haven't found a length for letizia's train. I'm not surprised given it's shape.

This is the best I could do (From BBC News):

Quote:
Ms Ortiz's bridal gown, created by veteran Spanish designer Manuel Pertegaz, had a tightly fitting bodice with a turned-up collar and a sweeping skirt and train.

I hope this has helped you, principessa!
Old 03-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakes View Post
I've always wanted someone to explain to me what the prestige is of these super long trains. Personally, I think they look ridiculous and sometimes downright ugly. Mary of Denmark dragged this ugly blanket of plain fabric behind her that seemed to have little to do with the rest of the dress. What does it prove? We already know they have lots of money - a few more yards of silk can't be that big a deal.

It's not that I dislike trains in general. The picture of Princess Grace at the "Royal Wedding Gowns" site linked above shows a train fanned out behind her in perfect proportion to the rest of the dress.

I just don't understand why so many people are impressed just because a piece of fabric is 20 feet long instead of 15.

The purpose of a train on a Royal wedding gown-I think-is to add scope and majesty to what would otherwise be an ordinary gown. Also most Royal weddings take place in enormous cathedrals or churches. A train added to a gown is needed to "fill out" empty space. In medieval times, the longer the train attached to a lady's gown the higher her status was. Commoner women did not have trains, it was the prerogative of a noblewoman only.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Nobility

Letizia's train was 4.5 metres
Old 03-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Mette-Marit's train was the prettiest one, IMO.
It looked like swan-wings.
http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/6...temarit0qg.jpg
originally posted by Alexandria

It was unusual that the veil was actually longer then the train. It looked stunning.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Nobility

How long is Mette-Merrit's veil in feet?

Tags
royal weddings, train, wedding dress