Mary's wedding dress with the long train:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-wnYNZCFHIr...n--AFP-smh.jpg

Without it:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-IrKerLbV2j...dingDress2.jpg

Old 01-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessApple View Post
With few opulent coronations (where regal robes with trains would feature among the regalia) taking place in modern times, I look to the weddings for pomp and circumstance. My preference for a long train is not about a tacky and needless statement of "Look at me; I'm a princess!" It has little to do with a stream of fabric tacked on 'just because.' For me, a longer train is about regal magic and ceremonial grandeur. It has to do with preserving some of the distinction of royalty, and with merging an historic institution with the current times.

I appreciate that a train can be too long. But, on the flip side, much of the dissatisfaction with Catherine's gown that I've read includes complaint that her shorter train lacked presence, that it was lost in the scale of the venue, and should have been longer. For those who prefer shorter trains, what do you think of the length of Catherine's train? I personally liked the train for the dress...yet I do not think a little more length would have subtracted anything, only added to its presence
I'm actually agreeing here with you and am not an advocate for the shorter train. I'd have liked to see a longer train on Kate's wedding dress; certainly not opulent in length since that's not her style but at least a foot or two longer to add to the grandeur of the venue and occasion. That's my preference, as well as a train-length veil with a fingertip portion to cover her face.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Nobility

I agree about the length of the veil matching the train. Maxima's veil and train are especially lovely for this reason. It does look a little odd to have the train so much longer and the veil much shorter. Of course, some families use antique lace so they cannot really control the length of the veil. If a veil is to cover the face, I also think that fingertip length is the most elegant.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
I prefer the back of Mary's skirt to the front! It reveals more of the lace, therefore displaying it better (a little closer to the sketches). The design and construction is also lovelier - more simple, less awkward, not so panelish, less like a table runner. Thank you for sharing this photo.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

As a young girl, I remember getting up at 3:00 in the morning to watch Princess Diana get married, and when I saw that train, I think my love affair with all things royal began. Is her train one of the longest royal trains on record?
Old 01-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent

At 25 feet long, I don't know if any other wedding train ever came near to that. It would be interesting to know.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Diana had the longest royal wedding train.Another royal bride who had a very long train was Princess Alexandra of Kent who had a 21 foot long train.

Pic
Old 01-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

The one thing I liked the most about Kate's train is that it actually had shape and didn't look like toilet paper stuck to her skirt. I would only have made it a little bit longer so that it reached the end of the steps when she was at the alter.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 01-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for that info, IloveCP. I love the length of Alexandra's veil and would have liked to have seen Kate's covering her train as well. And I agree with you, XeniaCasaraghi, about wanting to see the length of Kate's train a bit longer. With the scale of Westminster Abbey, it should have been a bit grander, IMO. But it did have a beautiful shape to it.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Fabiola's was 22 feet long!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Heir Apparent

That's a whopper; I'd love to see Fabiola's train fully extended.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Here is another pic Baroness!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Wow, the room can barely contain that train! Beautiful, thanks so much for posting.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Fabiola's bridal costume was part wedding gown, part Coronation robe. With her marriage to King Baudouin she went from being a noblewoman to a Queen-Consort with no stops in between.

It's way too dramatic to be worn in an "ordinary" wedding...not even an ordinary Royal wedding.

Anyway, I have seen photos of it currently on display at the Balenciaga Museum in Madrid. It's yellow now, but still breathtaking!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Aristocracy

Lost pomp & circumstance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessApple View Post
With few opulent coronations (where regal robes with trains would feature among the regalia) taking place in modern times, I look to the weddings for pomp and circumstance. My preference for a long train is not about a tacky and needless statement of "Look at me; I'm a princess!" It has little to do with a stream of fabric tacked on 'just because.' For me, a longer train is about regal magic and ceremonial grandeur. It has to do with preserving some of the distinction of royalty, and with merging an historic institution with the current times.

I appreciate that a train can be too long. But, on the flip side, much of the dissatisfaction with Catherine's gown that I've read includes complaint that her shorter train lacked presence, that it was lost in the scale of the venue, and should have been longer. For those who prefer shorter trains, what do you think of the length of Catherine's train? I personally liked the train for the dress...yet I do not think a little more length would have subtracted anything, only added to its presence
This post sums up My feelings so well. Princess Apple, I totally concur with You. I feel it is really sad that the Gorgeous Coronations of Old are all but history. They were such an absolutely beautiful and Divine occasion of true Royal Majesty and Royal Pomp, Grace and Magnificence, with the wonderful Coronation Gowns and Robes, with all the maids and lackeys, and so on. And like Princess Apple, I too now look to the Royal Weddings to fill that place in the void. Hence, I naturally favor the Classic Royal Wedding Gown, a truly magnificent Gown with a true Royal Train and accompanying veil, like Queen Fabiola, Princess Maxima, The Duchess of York, etc. Catherine looked gorgeous and carried Herself very beautifully too, but if I would have been Her, the Train on the Gown would have been at least 2 meters longer and somewhat fuller as well; and naturally with a veil to match, like Maxima's stunning veil. I also would have preferred to see at least 6 to 8 maids in attendance. BTW, what a lovely thread this is!

PS: Have a guess who this is:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0000290999-020.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	284595  

Old 05-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patra View Post
As a young girl, I remember getting up at 3:00 in the morning to watch Princess Diana get married, and when I saw that train, I think my love affair with all things royal began. Is her train one of the longest royal trains on record?
It's THE longest royal wedding dress train ever.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Well certainly the longest recorded royal wedding gown train in the UK.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Aristocracy

i think Diana's was the longest does any 1 know the shortest
Old 07-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Heir Apparent

I loved Letizia's train; it was nearly 15 feet long.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Serene Highness

The train of the wedding gown of princess Joséphine of Leuchtenberg in 1823 doesn't seem to have been very long: http://www.svenskhistoria.se/nyhetsb..._kung_och2.jpg (how tiny she seems to have been)

Tags
royal weddings, train, wedding dress