The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Majesty

did tatiana now princess of greece and denmark have atrain? how about infanta christina and elena?

Old 11-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
did tatiana now princess of greece and denmark have atrain? how about infanta christina and elena?
Infanta Christina - three metres
Infanta Elena - four (ish) metres but with a longer veil. Her train was unusual in that it appeared to be shaped like a diamond (diamond shape as in four sided not the stone).

Old 11-20-2010, 09:33 AM
Majesty

mette marit 1
mette marit 2
mette marit 3
mette marit 4
Old 11-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
Gorgeous dress and veil, but I think the veil would have looked better coming from the tiara, rather than at the back of her head.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Aristocracy

I have a convoluted question. Is there a protocol for length of trains? If William and Catherine choose to get married in Westminister Abby. Will Catherine have complete control of her dress. Or will she "need" to have a train as long as Sarah's was? Or given who William is could her train be as long as Diana's was? I love trains and had a fairly long one myself. (Of course there are lots of differences between my wedding and hers (lvol).) I always assumed that Diana's was so long partially because of who she was marrying, and would become, not just the catherdral.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

didn't most of the cp's have long trains on their wedding day? i'd love to see kate have a long one but not as long as diana's.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbugman View Post
I have a convoluted question. Is there a protocol for length of trains? If William and Catherine choose to get married in Westminister Abby. Will Catherine have complete control of her dress. Or will she "need" to have a train as long as Sarah's was? Or given who William is could her train be as long as Diana's was? I love trains and had a fairly long one myself. (Of course there are lots of differences between my wedding and hers (lvol).) I always assumed that Diana's was so long partially because of who she was marrying, and would become, not just the catherdral.
Don't know if there is a protocol about the lenght of hte trraibns but i remember from a documentary where the had interviewed also DAvid Emmanuel who made Diana'sWeddig gown. He said after the dwesigner was announced nobody from the Place said anything about how they should make the Dress. So he and Diana had free hand in designing the gown. I think that it would be similar with Kate.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 11-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
There are no protocols in respect of royal wedding dresses - although I believe there maybe protocols with regard to ceremonial robes - and Kate could walk up the aisle with no train (and indeed no veil) if she so desired. She will have some ideas of the type of dress she wants (many people I understand have an idea of their "dream" dress from a young age) and her dress designer will interpret or incorporate some or all of these ideas into the finished product. The designer will at some point need to look at the technical elements of the design such as cut, weight of the materials etc in order to establish the optimum length of the train without inducing unsightly drag, creases etc. It would be necessary to consider the venue (such as width of doors, aisles etc).
Generally speaking, five metres has been a popular length for a royal brides in a number of countries. Less than three metres is unusual (Princess Anne, Princess Margaret) and six metres in quite popular (Princess Alexandra of Kent, Crown Princess Mette Marit, Crown Princess Mary, Queen Sofia).
Old 11-23-2010, 05:57 AM
Nobility

I don't think it would be at all appropriate for Kate to walk up the aisle with no train or veil, or to have her veil very low down at the back of her head as seems to be the case with a lot of modern brides. This is a future Queen of England we're talking about, not Mr and Mrs Everyman getting married in a tiny country church or a register office.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Helvin View Post
I don't think it would be at all appropriate for Kate to walk up the aisle with no train or veil, or to have her veil very low down at the back of her head as seems to be the case with a lot of modern brides.
Do remember that Mette-Marit of Norway wore it that way (veil at the back of her head) and she will one day be queen of that country. It is part of why she is my least beautiful bride (well, okay, tie with Mabel).

Quote:
This is a future Queen of England we're talking about, not Mr and Mrs Everyman getting married in a tiny country church or a register office.
Agreed, there will be expectations from her and William as England is the country of traditions.
I expect a long train and veil and an elegant, decent and covered wedding dress.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:23 AM
Nobility

I think that if a wedding veil is worn bunched up, very low down at the back of the bride's head, it looks as though it's either fallen down, or was put there as an afterthought. After all, you wouldn't wear a hat like that so why a wedding veil?

I'm not sure which is worse, having no veil at all or having it very low down at the back.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:25 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I love trains on wedding/evening dresses, the longer, the better IMHO.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Helvin View Post
I think that if a wedding veil is worn bunched up, very low down at the back of the bride's head, it looks as though it's either fallen down, or was put there as an afterthought. After all, you wouldn't wear a hat like that so why a wedding veil?

I'm not sure which is worse, having no veil at all or having it very low down at the back.
I so agree with what you say here. If you wear a veil, make sure it's placed correctly.
The total picture is so important, to me at least.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Do remember that Mette-Marit of Norway wore it that way (veil at the back of her head) and she will one day be queen of that country. It is part of why she is my least beautiful bride (well, okay, tie with Mabel).

Agreed, there will be expectations from her and William as England is the country of traditions.
I expect a long train and veil and an elegant, decent and covered wedding dress.
I think that Princess Mette-Marit's wedding dress was one of the most beautiful a royal wore. It fitted perfect to her slim figure. Catherine Middleton is also tall and very slim. I can very easliy imagine her in such a dress as Mette-Marit wore. She would look like an elf.

The standard for Catherine's dress is very high. Princess Diana had set the line very high with her wedding dress which was a masterpiece of that time and age. Though it looks a little oldfashioned nowadays it still has lots of magic. The wedding gown for Catherine must be a very special one to keep up with Diana's dress.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
I think that Princess Mette-Marit's wedding dress was one of the most beautiful a royal wore. It fitted perfect to her slim figure. Catherine Middleton is also tall and very slim. I can very easliy imagine her in such a dress as Mette-Marit wore. She would look like an elf.
I say we must agree to disagree with this one. To me, Mette-Marit's dress was absolutely not beautiful and what I expect from a royal (or someone marrying into royal). I didn't expect something so simple, I found it too little.
And I am not even elaborating on what was supposed to be her bridal bouquet. More could have been made of it, IMO.
I do not imagine Catherine Middleton in a similar dress, not at all.

Quote:
The standard for Catherine's dress is very high. Princess Diana had set the line very high with her wedding dress which was a masterpiece of that time and age. Though it looks a little oldfashioned nowadays it still has lots of magic. The wedding gown for Catherine must be a very special one to keep up with Diana's dress.
I do agree with the standard for Catherine's dress being very high and I expect her dress to be a masterpiece or at least very beautiful, but we won't know until April 29th next year.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Of-course there are certain expectations required of Catherine and there is is no doubt that Catherine will have a veil, placed I am sure in a position on her head that will be suitable to most people's tastes, and a long train - of suitable expanse - but it isn't a competition amongst royal brides to see who has (or will have) the biggest and most suitably appropriate dress :-)
Old 11-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Of-course there are certain expectations required of Catherine and there is is no doubt that Catherine will have a veil, placed I am sure in a position on her head that will be suitable to most people's tastes, and a long train - of suitable expanse - but it isn't a competition amongst royal brides to see who has (or will have) the biggest and most suitably appropriate dress :-)
Oh, I don't intend for it to be a competition at all
I was just stating my opinion

I expect that she will look gorgeous.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Majesty

i have tried to find photos of crown princess marys of denmarks train but has a hard time finding good photos

cp mary of denmark 1

mary 2

mary 3

mary 4
Old 11-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Majesty

and here is maxima train

maxma 1

maxima 2

maxima 3
Old 11-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Oh, I don't intend for it to be a competition at all
I was just stating my opinion

I expect that she will look gorgeous.
Oh gosh, I wasn't meaning to question your opinion Skippy - it's very important to discuss these things because we don't want Kate to turn up in jeans and a sweater!!

Tags
royal weddings, train, wedding dress