The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
I should like to know how long was Diana's train in metres ?
25 foot long
A Wedding Dress To Remember - CBS Sunday Morning - CBS News

Old 04-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Aristocracy

I love the long trains, I think they are elegant. However I thought Dianas, and, CP Mary were plain, and not pretty. I loved the desig o Sarahs train.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbugman View Post
I love the long trains, I think they are elegant. However I thought Dianas, and, CP Mary were plain, and not pretty. I loved the desig o Sarahs train.
I agree mrs Bugman,
Sarah' Gown looked lovelier all together, but the veil/hair arrangement was less attractive. I felt She should have worn Her hair up with a tall tiara and a really long and full veil. (A bit like Maxima's veil). And I agree with you, Her train was lovely, with gorgeous detail and it flowed beautifully. Perhaps I would have preferred it somewhat longer and wider. But gorgeous and really Regal all the same.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post
If it was 25 feet indeed, that would translate to around 6.35 meters in metric.....hhmmm.
Lovely........

Old 05-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Diana's train was NOT plain: it was edged with sparkling lace. As for Sarah, Duchess of York's wedding hairstyle, I think it was better than a severe updo.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelique View Post
If it was 25 feet indeed, that would translate to around 6.35 meters in metric.....hhmmm.
Lovely........
No, Angelique, it was longer than 6.35m. A yard (3 ft) is 91.44 cm so Diana's wedding dress train would be just over 8 metres long.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Royal Highness

I've just gone on a couple of on-line conversion calculators, both of which suggest that 25 feet equates to 7.62 metres. Diana's train also had lace running in two lines down the length of the train as well as the lace edging. All the lace of the dress and train was embroidered with mother-of-pearl sequins.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I've just gone on a couple of on-line conversion calculators, both of which suggest that 25 feet equates to 7.62 metres. Diana's train also had lace running in two lines down the length of the train as well as the lace edging. All the lace of the dress and train was embroidered with mother-of-pearl sequins.
According to this BBC ON THIS DAY | 29 | 1981: Charles and Diana marry

"She made the three-and-a-half minute walk up the red-carpeted aisle with the sumptuous 25 ft (7.62 m) train of her Emmanuel designed, ivory taffeta and antique lace gown flowing behind her. "
Old 05-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Serene Highness

There is a superstition that Diana was evidently not told and that is as long as your train will be your troubles in the marriage will be also.
I thought it looked hideously hilarious and quite immature.It was right out of the Victorian era.And her bouquet was large; Diana wore hanging earrings and brides are not supposed to wear them However- this was Diana and they forgave her as quickly as she forgave herself neophyte that she was.
When she got out of the carriage I said to myself the marriage will be a disaster.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Jaya, I feel naughty for laughing when I read your post but I couldn't help it...hilarious post!

I watched Diana's wedding live like almost everyone else and I will never forget how disappointed I was..the gown was crumpled like tissue paper and that massive train tacked onto it looked like it had a life of it's own...Diana's hair looked flat and greasy. Only her face with it's flawless makeup saved her from being a disaster, IMO. She glowed.

If Diana had filled out the gown more instead of looking lost inside it due to dieting too hard..and IF the fabric had not crinkled, I think it would have been beautiful.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:01 AM
Aristocracy

Back to my post in May. Plain was (probably) the wrong word to choose in describing Dianas, and Marys trains. I like the more ornately decorated train of Sara, Duchess of York.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

How long were Mary and Maxima's trains? I love the train on MM's wedding gown that it was actually a part of the dress not something that was attached like the other CP's.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Jaya, I feel naughty for laughing when I read your post but I couldn't help it...hilarious post!

I watched Diana's wedding live like almost everyone else and I will never forget how disappointed I was..the gown was crumpled like tissue paper and that massive train tacked onto it looked like it had a life of it's own...Diana's hair looked flat and greasy. Only her face with it's flawless makeup saved her from being a disaster, IMO. She glowed.

If Diana had filled out the gown more instead of looking lost inside it due to dieting too hard..and IF the fabric had not crinkled, I think it would have been beautiful.
I agree entirely.... I have always found it hard to express my feelings regarding Diana's Wedding Gown, as so many fans take that as a personal slur against dear Diana. Like you, I too was very disappointed to see the crumpled Gown and the Train which should have been much wider and more circular to achieve such a length and still look in proportion. At the time I was really looking forward to a really Divine, Elegant and yet majestic Gown, but..... Diana, in spite of it all, was stunning.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Back to my post in May. Plain was (probably) the wrong word to choose in describing Dianas, and Marys trains. I like the more ornately decorated train of Sara, Duchess of York.
I SO agree; Her train was Gorgeous and the ornate decorations were just right and harmonious with the overall look.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
There is a superstition that Diana was evidently not told and that is as long as your train will be your troubles in the marriage will be also.
I thought it looked hideously hilarious and quite immature.It was right out of the Victorian era.And her bouquet was large; Diana wore hanging earrings and brides are not supposed to wear them However- this was Diana and they forgave her as quickly as she forgave herself neophyte that she was.
When she got out of the carriage I said to myself the marriage will be a disaster.

Brides aren't supposed to wear hanging earrings? That's quite odd.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 06-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Serene Highness

I wore hanging pearl earrings at my wedding and I just celebrated our silver anniversary.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:36 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
How long were Mary and Maxima's trains? I love the train on MM's wedding gown that it was actually a part of the dress not something that was attached like the other CP's.
Mary's train was reported to be 6 metres (20 feet) and Maxima's was 5 metres (16.5 feet) which is the same as Crown Princess Victoria's.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:56 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
I've never heard that one before. Years ago, I came across the superstition that it's unlucky to take a wedding ring off once you're married.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:13 AM
Majesty

how about princess marie of denmark then ?
Old 11-18-2010, 07:15 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Brides aren't supposed to wear hanging earrings? That's quite odd.
Who says? I think it's just a matter of personal taste.

Tags
royal weddings, train, wedding dress