The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 04-29-2010, 01:24 PM
magnik's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 3,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
I should like to know how long was Diana's train in metres ?
25 foot long
A Wedding Dress To Remember - CBS Sunday Morning - CBS News
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 04-30-2010, 10:23 AM
mrsbugman's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Austin, United States
Posts: 217
I love the long trains, I think they are elegant. However I thought Dianas, and, CP Mary were plain, and not pretty. I loved the desig o Sarahs train.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 05-03-2010, 11:50 PM
Angelique's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bruges, Belgium
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbugman View Post
I love the long trains, I think they are elegant. However I thought Dianas, and, CP Mary were plain, and not pretty. I loved the desig o Sarahs train.
I agree mrs Bugman,
Sarah' Gown looked lovelier all together, but the veil/hair arrangement was less attractive. I felt She should have worn Her hair up with a tall tiara and a really long and full veil. (A bit like Maxima's veil). And I agree with you, Her train was lovely, with gorgeous detail and it flowed beautifully. Perhaps I would have preferred it somewhat longer and wider. But gorgeous and really Regal all the same.
__________________
A-R
A bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives you roses.

Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 05-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Angelique's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bruges, Belgium
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post
If it was 25 feet indeed, that would translate to around 6.35 meters in metric.....hhmmm.
Lovely........
__________________
A-R
A bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives you roses.

Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 05-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St Helens, United Kingdom
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbugman View Post
I love the long trains, I think they are elegant. However I thought Dianas, and, CP Mary were plain, and not pretty. I loved the desig o Sarahs train.
Diana's train was NOT plain: it was edged with sparkling lace. As for Sarah, Duchess of York's wedding hairstyle, I think it was better than a severe updo.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 05-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St Helens, United Kingdom
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelique View Post
If it was 25 feet indeed, that would translate to around 6.35 meters in metric.....hhmmm.
Lovely........
No, Angelique, it was longer than 6.35m. A yard (3 ft) is 91.44 cm so Diana's wedding dress train would be just over 8 metres long.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 05-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Grundisburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,890
I've just gone on a couple of on-line conversion calculators, both of which suggest that 25 feet equates to 7.62 metres. Diana's train also had lace running in two lines down the length of the train as well as the lace edging. All the lace of the dress and train was embroidered with mother-of-pearl sequins.
__________________
J
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 05-04-2010, 01:44 PM
magnik's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 3,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I've just gone on a couple of on-line conversion calculators, both of which suggest that 25 feet equates to 7.62 metres. Diana's train also had lace running in two lines down the length of the train as well as the lace edging. All the lace of the dress and train was embroidered with mother-of-pearl sequins.
According to this BBC ON THIS DAY | 29 | 1981: Charles and Diana marry

"She made the three-and-a-half minute walk up the red-carpeted aisle with the sumptuous 25 ft (7.62 m) train of her Emmanuel designed, ivory taffeta and antique lace gown flowing behind her. "
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 05-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ****, Canada
Posts: 1,505
There is a superstition that Diana was evidently not told and that is as long as your train will be your troubles in the marriage will be also.
I thought it looked hideously hilarious and quite immature.It was right out of the Victorian era.And her bouquet was large; Diana wore hanging earrings and brides are not supposed to wear them However- this was Diana and they forgave her as quickly as she forgave herself neophyte that she was.
When she got out of the carriage I said to myself the marriage will be a disaster.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 06-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 4,641
Jaya, I feel naughty for laughing when I read your post but I couldn't help it...hilarious post!

I watched Diana's wedding live like almost everyone else and I will never forget how disappointed I was..the gown was crumpled like tissue paper and that massive train tacked onto it looked like it had a life of it's own...Diana's hair looked flat and greasy. Only her face with it's flawless makeup saved her from being a disaster, IMO. She glowed.

If Diana had filled out the gown more instead of looking lost inside it due to dieting too hard..and IF the fabric had not crinkled, I think it would have been beautiful.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 06-26-2010, 08:01 AM
mrsbugman's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Austin, United States
Posts: 217
Back to my post in May. Plain was (probably) the wrong word to choose in describing Dianas, and Marys trains. I like the more ornately decorated train of Sara, Duchess of York.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 06-26-2010, 03:08 PM
4Pam's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 2,796
How long were Mary and Maxima's trains? I love the train on MM's wedding gown that it was actually a part of the dress not something that was attached like the other CP's.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 06-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Angelique's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bruges, Belgium
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Jaya, I feel naughty for laughing when I read your post but I couldn't help it...hilarious post!

I watched Diana's wedding live like almost everyone else and I will never forget how disappointed I was..the gown was crumpled like tissue paper and that massive train tacked onto it looked like it had a life of it's own...Diana's hair looked flat and greasy. Only her face with it's flawless makeup saved her from being a disaster, IMO. She glowed.

If Diana had filled out the gown more instead of looking lost inside it due to dieting too hard..and IF the fabric had not crinkled, I think it would have been beautiful.
I agree entirely.... I have always found it hard to express my feelings regarding Diana's Wedding Gown, as so many fans take that as a personal slur against dear Diana. Like you, I too was very disappointed to see the crumpled Gown and the Train which should have been much wider and more circular to achieve such a length and still look in proportion. At the time I was really looking forward to a really Divine, Elegant and yet majestic Gown, but..... Diana, in spite of it all, was stunning.
__________________
A-R
A bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives you roses.

Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 06-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Angelique's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bruges, Belgium
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbugman View Post
Back to my post in May. Plain was (probably) the wrong word to choose in describing Dianas, and Marys trains. I like the more ornately decorated train of Sara, Duchess of York.
I SO agree; Her train was Gorgeous and the ornate decorations were just right and harmonious with the overall look.
__________________
A-R
A bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives you roses.

Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 06-27-2010, 12:33 AM
Sister Morphine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 2,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
There is a superstition that Diana was evidently not told and that is as long as your train will be your troubles in the marriage will be also.
I thought it looked hideously hilarious and quite immature.It was right out of the Victorian era.And her bouquet was large; Diana wore hanging earrings and brides are not supposed to wear them However- this was Diana and they forgave her as quickly as she forgave herself neophyte that she was.
When she got out of the carriage I said to myself the marriage will be a disaster.

Brides aren't supposed to wear hanging earrings? That's quite odd.
__________________
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 06-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Duchessmary's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Diego, United States
Posts: 1,089
I wore hanging pearl earrings at my wedding and I just celebrated our silver anniversary.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 07-01-2010, 02:36 AM
Jacknch's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Grundisburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
How long were Mary and Maxima's trains? I love the train on MM's wedding gown that it was actually a part of the dress not something that was attached like the other CP's.
Mary's train was reported to be 6 metres (20 feet) and Maxima's was 5 metres (16.5 feet) which is the same as Crown Princess Victoria's.
__________________
J
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 07-10-2010, 05:56 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St Helens, United Kingdom
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
There is a superstition that Diana was evidently not told and that is as long as your train will be your troubles in the marriage will be also.
I've never heard that one before. Years ago, I came across the superstition that it's unlucky to take a wedding ring off once you're married.
__________________
Princess Diana, the best Queen this country never had
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 08-08-2010, 03:13 AM
Josefine's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: , Sweden
Posts: 9,194
how about princess marie of denmark then ?
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 11-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St Helens, United Kingdom
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Brides aren't supposed to wear hanging earrings? That's quite odd.
Who says? I think it's just a matter of personal taste.
__________________

__________________
Princess Diana, the best Queen this country never had
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
royal weddings, train, wedding dress


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal ladies court-trains/coats magnik Royal Style File 42 01-01-2009 08:56 PM
Which is Infanta Cristina's Best Gala Gown? Ennyllorac Archives 10 09-09-2005 01:43 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge dutch royal history fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympics ottoman poland pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess mabel princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:46 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]