The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-10-2008, 05:10 AM
Aristocracy

Thanks Marmi, the Truth et all;

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmi View Post
Principessa, this is the Wedding page from the official website; and this is the page for the gown.
It says that the train was 6m long measured from the waste, and was made of 23.5 metres of duchess satin.
I enjoyed the pictures, thanks Ladies. I love the long Royal trains as they are so beautiful and Regal; I feel they are an essential part of a Royal Wedding, although I must say that some of the trains were indeed out of proportion with the Gowns they supposed to belong with. This was because mostly of the shape of the train rather than the length. I do feel the train should be a part of the Gown as in being in harmony with the rest of the Gown.

Angelique

Old 10-10-2008, 05:17 AM
Aristocracy

Beautiful.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
Mette-Marit's train was the prettiest one, IMO.
It looked like swan-wings.
http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/6...temarit0qg.jpg
originally posted by Alexandria

It was unusual that the veil was actually longer then the train. It looked stunning.

I agree, it was really Gorgeous....quite delicate, Angelic and really elegant. This style would not be for everyone though. And that was the skill of the designer, as this Gown was just really perfect for Mette-Marit ......
And yes, the veil was amazing too......

Old 10-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Fabiola's ermine lined train was 20 feet long.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Aristocracy

Sounds beautiful. Anybody a picture?
Old 10-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Try here
http://www.angelfire.com/realm/fabiola1960/guests.html
Old 10-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Courtier

Princess Grace looked absolutely stunning in her gown. What a beautiful design to complement her royal face. However, in the grouping of the more modern royal brides I think Mette Marit's gown was magnificant in its simplicity.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post

The Fabiola gowned screamed..HERE IS A QUEEN. It was truly regal. TIME Magazine reported that she almost tripped over the massive train several times during the four hour long wedding ceremonies.

I think she should have had older bridesmaids who could handle such a sumptuous veil and train, except all her attendants were little children.

It was a magnificent wedding though.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Aristocracy

Yes, the pictures show a beautiful dress. A very elegant bride.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Aristocracy

Fabiola....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
The Fabiola gowned screamed..HERE IS A QUEEN. It was truly regal. TIME Magazine reported that she almost tripped over the massive train several times during the four hour long wedding ceremonies.

I think she should have had older bridesmaids who could handle such a sumptuous veil and train, except all her attendants were little children.

Yes, it was definitely very Regal.... I LOVE the train, although it could have been more circular which would have made it more elegant. And you are right CaliforniaDreaming, Fabiola would have been better served by real bridesmaids who would have known how to attend on Her.....as it was, Fabiola struggled somewhat.
Angelique

Old 10-19-2008, 07:40 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post
Thanks magnik, for all the lovely links, here and elsewhere....

Angelique

Old 10-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
Princess Grace looked absolutely stunning in her gown. What a beautiful design to complement her royal face. However, in the grouping of the more modern royal brides I think Mette Marit's gown was magnificant in its simplicity.
I could not agree more....Grace looked Divine in what was for Her at that time simply a Divine Gown. But then most Fashions in the 50's were really beautiful and elegant.....
And Mette-Marit's Gown was indeed just right for Her. Very graceful and Elegant; yet simple and stunning..... But personally, I still prefer somewhat more sumptuous and Regal Designs.........

A

Old 10-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelique View Post
Thanks magnik, for all the lovely links, here and elsewhere....

Angelique

I must say that her wedding gown is/was and show all she.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post

Four hour wedding ceremony???? Wow! The train was massive. She definitely should have had older children help her attendants with the dress.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:54 PM

Well, Fabiola was one of the few women in recent history to marry an actual King, not just someone who was in line of succession.
She went through the four hour wedding ceremony on an empty stomach, so maybe that also explains why she tripped now and then. She even for a moment nearly fainted in church, and the ever attentive Boudewijn gave her some smelling salts so she could recover.
I read somewhere she had practised walking around in that dress for a whole day. It was a Balenciaga, btw.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you, Lady Leana. This is so interesting to me. I really admire her strength! I don't know if I could make it through something like that (although, the thought of marrying a king is an awfully strong motivator).
Old 10-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLeana View Post
Well, Fabiola was one of the few women in recent history to marry an actual King, not just someone who was in line of succession.
She went through the four hour wedding ceremony on an empty stomach, so maybe that also explains why she tripped now and then. She even for a moment nearly fainted in church, and the ever attentive Boudewijn gave her some smelling salts so she could recover.
I read somewhere she had practised walking around in that dress for a whole day. It was a Balenciaga, btw.

Yes, it was a four hour ordeal and one of her biographers reported that the poor thing spent much of the night before the wedding on her knees in prayer, and she was also fasting. I don't think that was a good idea at all because on the morning of the day she was a nervous wreck and it showed. She came close to tears several times.

Her magnificent fit-for-a Queen wedding gown is now on display at the Balenciaga Museum in Madrid, and it has yellowed to a soft ivory color over time but it is still breathtaking to behold. I saw a photo of it recently.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post
Thank you, Lady Leana. This is so interesting to me. I really admire her strength! I don't know if I could make it through something like that (although, the thought of marrying a king is an awfully strong motivator).
Actually, she must have loved him and not his throne... I believe she refused him twice before finally accepting, after a visit to Lourdes. But that's really info for another thread...
She was (still is, actually) a very devout Catholic, and believed she had to receive the Eucharist on an empty stomach.

One of the reasons for the four hour duration of the ceremony was the number of guests which had to travel from the Brussels Palace to the Cathedral. It took ages before everyone had their places in church. But again, that is something for another thread.

CP Mathilde's train was also considerable, and very elegant and beautiful. I've no idea how long exactly though.
She also had difficulty walking.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLeana View Post
Actually, she must have loved him and not his throne... I believe she refused him twice before finally accepting, after a visit to Lourdes. But that's really info for another thread...
She was (still is, actually) a very devout Catholic, and believed she had to receive the Eucharist on an empty stomach.

One of the reasons for the four hour duration of the ceremony was the number of guests which had to travel from the Brussels Palace to the Cathedral. It took ages before everyone had their places in church. But again, that is something for another thread.

CP Mathilde's train was also considerable, and very elegant and beautiful. I've no idea how long exactly though.
She also had difficulty walking.

The length of the wedding is due to the fact that there were actually TWO ceremonies...the civil vows in the Throne Room of the Palace of Brussels, and then the High Mass at the Cathedral directly afterward...there was an enormous Papal delegation present with speeches and special prayers, etc. They ran behind schedule with the long cortege, which is why there was no group photo of all the foreign Royalty present like there normally would have been.

It was all very lavish and very, very "Royal" indeed. There are fascinating photos and even a video of it in the Baudouin/Fabiola wedding thread.

I have not really had a good look at Mathilde's train...photos mostly show her lovely face but I haven't seen many of the train of her gown-which I admit I didn't care for. But she has the face of an angel so who cares, right?

Thanks for the heads up...I will try to see if I can find photos of Mathilde's train.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Heir Apparent

CaliforniaDreamin posts #25,29,48,66 http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...9-a-265-2.html

If I could say that Fabiola's wedding was the last so regal/royal wedding on (almost) our times.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Now This wedding is a true "Fairy Tale", in my very humble opinion. I know that this comment has nothing to do with train lengths, but is it just so romantic and filled with love and devotion between two people that just happen to be royal. And after all of the pomp and circumstance, money, jewels, they were unable to have children.

My aplologies if my comment is out of order, but their story has always moved me.

Tags
royal weddings, train, wedding dress