Least Favourite Look for a Royal Groom

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To me, I just felt like William's uniform didn't come across as authentic. I can't explain WHY or justify it as anything other than my own opinion, but I would have just much preferred to see him represent a branch of the military he'd worked for, rather than just his honorary appointment. I can understand wearing your honorary uniform if you're not active duty in another branch, but as he was serving in the RAF, I just think that would have been so much nicer, even if the uniform itself is a bit duller.

I agree. In all fairness the Irish Guards uniform wasn't his first choice to wear, reportedly the Queen herself wanted him to wear it.

To me, I just felt like William's uniform didn't come across as authentic. I can't explain WHY or justify it as anything other than my own opinion, but I would have just much preferred to see him represent a branch of the military he'd worked for, rather than just his honorary appointment. I can understand wearing your honorary uniform if you're not active duty in another branch, but as he was serving in the RAF, I just think that would have been so much nicer, even if the uniform itself is a bit duller.

I understand what you are saying but the uniform he wore represented the highest rank he holds as honorary colonel of the Irish Guards. He was an actual member of the Blues and Royals but Harry was going to wear that as that is the only regiment he serves in. An RAF uniform - mm? don't really know cos he was only on secondment to the RAF at the time.

It is the ceremonial dress uniform worn by the Guards regiment and is worn by William at Trooping the Colour. It may look "story book" but that is because toy soldiers etc copied the real deal.

genuine uniforms - however "Story book" they may appear, deserve our respect, including Albert's white uniform and the Greek national dress as worn by soldiers on parade.

Google Image Result for http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6177/800pxevzonesmarchingaw4.jpg

Harry and William could have both worn the same uniform (the Blues and Royals I believe you call it, Cepe). No one could have mixed them up, with Harry's red hair. It would have looked good to see them in the same colors, I think. But it's true that William stood out in that red uniform. I didn't react negatively to it. As I said, I prefer non-uniform dress for weddings, but I think that William looked relatively fine at his wedding. It was overall a beautiful event except for the hats and miniskirts of some of the clownish guests.

Harry looked better than William that day. He looked like a true military hero stepped out of a book or film.
Did William look cheesy? IDK perhaps that is the word to describe it.

I don't think anyone could match Prince Philip on his wedding day. He was definitely very good looking in his younger days and became handsome as he aged. The only other one is Harry, imho.

Not impressed with Prince Phillips wedding day look. I think the best British royal groom was Prince Charles on his first wedding day... He also didn't look too shabby on his second one.
Adding Prince Harry into the mix, I think the uniform was lackluster but he himself looked good. That beard just does wonders for him; he looks like a better looking version of Charles and Phillip... He's never resembled his brother.

the beard looks awful.. I don't think that fair or red haired men look good with beards. And Harry looked so terrified, or alternately giggling..

Okay, if the female version of this thread had to renamed because it was in bad taste or rude, this one should be too :flowers:

As for clothing, imo P.Ernst-August jr. of Hannover seemed to have not ideally fitting pants
http://gpdhome.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c648253ef01b7c90a0ddf970b-pi
Not sure if it was just this pic though, it might be an unfortunate shot

Last edited:
I don't think anyone could match Prince Philip on his wedding day. He was definitely very good looking in his younger days and became handsome as he aged. The only other one is Harry, imho.

Philip is a very handsome man.. and looked very impressive. I saw hm up close some years ago, he was quite old.. but still looked very well. I would not compare him to Harry.. William looked quite well, but was beginning to lose hair..

Ernst August jnr needs about two inches off the length of his pants.

At least they didn't split like some large royal groom back in regency days? I can't remember who but I think it was some German royal who married one of the sisters of George IV...

Back
Top Bottom