Least Favourite Royal Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Penny Lane said:
Pretty/beautiful women not looking their best
Astrid of Belgium -a beautiful woman but a horrible dress mainly the sleeves

Diana-I didn't like it in 1981 and I like it even less now and her hair was too lat and limp that day.It's too bad a pretty woman who looked great 99% of the time-but not her wedding day.

Grace of Monaco-I will get heat for this one but she looked too rigid in it and they way her hair was fixed was too severe.Beautiful woman but she looked too pulled together.

Rania-didn't like the hair or the dress but she is a beautiful sylish woman no doubt.

Annette-mainly it's the ill fitting dress she' quite pretty herself.

Princess Alexandra -too much dress on too little bride the looke is so boxy.

Mabel-lose the bows and she might not make the list

Masako-love her but her beauty is hidden and the dress looks like it was made for a doll

Serena Lindly-don't like the hair at all ,not crazy about the dress either.
Agree with all of your points, although I still do love Grace as a bride. But indeed,

*princess Alexandra, such a petite woman, such a pudgy look, how did they manage that?! Again, that afro hairdo didn't help things either!
*Masako: sometimes I want to ring these Japanese royal bride's necks: they have such a cool culture that's entirely their own, and what do they do? As if Masako's green traditional japanese bridal kimono that day wasn't enough, she went and changed clothes and voila, out came a bad bad bad copy of the Diana dress, sans sleeves this time, but even cheesier a version than the Diana version! As if the Japanese household said: what they can do in the West, we can do better! Ugh. Stick to what you do well people!

*And Serena Linley--an overrated bride if there ever was one, the fabrics of the skirt and jacket didn't match at all, she looked like she was mocking her mom in law's bridal dress in stead of paying tribute! Plus she seemed quite an aloof bride too, on top of it.

LadyK said:
I think CP Mary was just very nervous, obviously, but more importantly, ivory is not her color! The color seemed to wash her out- she was so pale, her skin matching her dress.
Very good point. She should have stuck to snow-white, like Mabel did and Martha Louise and Mette Marit, all pale girls like Mary.

LadyK said:
Mary's Dress looked (IMO) prettier in the designer's drawing. Check out the Wedding dress sketches thread in "Old, New, Royal and Blue."
Absolutely true. The dress in that sketch was a vision! The real thing however was a wash-out compared to the drawing! And that veil: it hung weirdly thanks to the high up hairdo. :sad:

princess olga said:
Very good point. She should have stuck to snow-white, like Mabel did and Martha Louise and Mette Marit, all pale girls like Mary.

Absolutely true. The dress in that sketch was a vision! The real thing however was a wash-out compared to the drawing! And that veil: it hung weirdly thanks to the high up hairdo. :sad:

Another thing about Mary's dress is the tiara I had to look closely at the pictures to see it. The sketches of Mary's dress were beautiful.

princess olga said:
Agree with all of your points, although I still do love Grace as a bride. But indeed,

*princess Alexandra, such a petite woman, such a pudgy look, how did they manage that?! Again, that afro hairdo didn't help things either!
*Masako: sometimes I want to ring these Japanese royal bride's necks: they have such a cool culture that's entirely their own, and what do they do? As if Masako's green traditional japanese bridal kimono that day wasn't enough, she went and changed clothes and voila, out came a bad bad bad copy of the Diana dress, sans sleeves this time, but even cheesier a version than the Diana version! As if the Japanese household said: what they can do in the West, we can do better! Ugh. Stick to what you do well people!

*And Serena Linley--an overrated bride if there ever was one, the fabrics of the skirt and jacket didn't match at all, she looked like she was mocking her mom in law's bridal dress in stead of paying tribute! Plus she seemed quite an aloof bride too, on top of it.
Grace was a beautiful bride but I think they should have taken look at how beautiful but real she looked in Rear Window that could have inspired them to show off Grace looking as breathtaking as she was in that film.I think a bit more of Grace's natural elegance showing through would have made her a hard act to top.
Masako such a pretty woman but that is completely lost in this sad wedding disater.
Serena Linley-overrated yes.I do think Princess Margare was a striking bride with a beautiful gown.Her daughter Lady Sarah had one of my favorite wedding dresses.
Alexandra would have looked great in a flowing,simple gown.

Last edited:
serena dress was too out ther, it was like huge and I didnt like it!

Im nt 2 crazy abt Masako as well bt her Sister iN laws dress was great!!!

The one who had a son recently?

LadyS said:
I was looking at the dresses of Princess Masako and Princess Kiko. It looks like both dresses are made form the same fabric?

http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?image=48jt.jpg (Princess Masako)

http://img357.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kikoa11yf.jpg (Princess Kiko)

The difference is that Masako looks like she is wearing a jacket as well.

Is is possibly the same dress?? (Just a query)
oh my god it's the same dress but reworked!! Kudo's for spotting!! It's so bizar!!:bang::lol::wacko:

princess olga said:
oh my god it's the same dress but reworked!! Kudo's for spotting!! It's so bizar!!:bang::lol::wacko:

You are right, it is the same dress, is that a tradition of the family?

Maybe we must not laugh, for it could be a tradition in a family to wear the same wedding dress or kind of dress.

Maybe a Japanese is around hear to clear up our doubts...:ermm:

Vanesa.

Vanesa said:
Maybe we must not laugh, for it could be a tradition in a family to wear the same wedding dress or kind of dress.

Maybe a Japanese is around hear to clear up our doubts...:ermm:

Vanesa.

I don't think it's the same dress, but it is probably from the same bolt of silk cloth. I remember seeing an interview (translated to english) where the seamstress talked about how nervous she was when cutting the material for Princess Masako's dress. Apparently the material was very special and there wasn't a lot of room for error!

I don't think it's the same dress, but it is probably from the same bolt of silk cloth. I remember seeing an interview (translated to english) where the seamstress talked about how nervous she was when cutting the material for Princess Masako's dress. Apparently the material was very special and there wasn't a lot of room for error!

You are right Nefertiti, I also remember reading this story! In fact, the material was a VERY expensive one, so it's understable, the seamstress was worried about wasting it!:)

LadyK said:
I think CP Mary was just very nervous, obviously, but more importantly, ivory is not her color! The color seemed to wash her out- she was so pale, her skin matching her dress.

Mary's Dress looked (IMO) prettier in the designer's drawing. Check out the Wedding dress sketches thread in "Old, New, Royal and Blue."

i also think that the shoulder part of Mary's dress is too wide for her, maybe bcuz of how the sleeves are attached to the dress??...also....there's something wrong with her hairdo that makes her look weird.

besides that, I would agree that her dress looks prettier in the designer's drawing. The dress just looks too simple for a crown princess of denmark. someone might say that sometimes the simplier the better, but as for Mary's case...i find the dress a little bit boring for a royal bride.

Refer to the question of Masako and Kiko's wedding dress - both were of identical design but it were entirely 2 different dresses. The material used are silk spun by the silk worm breed by the royal palace, that why it is so precious and one of a kind - u can't get it other where else. The jackets worn over it by the 2 princesses during the car ride used the same material but of different pattern. Masako's rose petal design at the neckline and Kiko's was a cape. In fact, Empress Michiko also wear similar gown for her wedding except that there's a bow at the front waist area.

thank you for the extra information, tlklhm. i think it very interesting to know the fine details!

wow, so many brides to chose from. Hands down for Princess Mabel. I mean, i like bows too, but i wouldnt have them sewn all over my dress, then again, she picked the most unlikely duo to design the dress for her. I actually liked Princess Diana's dress, mainly because my aunt as a 2 foot replica of the late prince dress in it that sits on a table in her bedroom, and ive been to her house one too many times as a young child. I think CP mary took the whole Cinderella/Princess thing a little too far, IMO, but ya know, it was her day, so what ever floated her boat is fine with me. and then theres mathlide. she has nice taste in other formal wear, but not when it came to her wedding gown. that goes for her sister in law, Princess astrid. I dont care if it was the 80's, even Princess Di's sleeves werent that big.

i actually didnt like Mary's wedding dress - the panels at the front looked awful and the sleeves werent nice.
The wedding dresses in the 1980s today look really bad as they are big with puff sleeves however at the time they were in the height of fashion so it is hard to criticise these dresses now. Who knows maybe in 20 years people will look back at Maxima's, Letizia's and Mette-Marit's and think that they were awful. We are juding yesterdays dresses by todays standards!!!
The worst dress of the Britsih royal family has to be Spohie Countess of Wessex as it was too big and very boring wth little detail!!!

Sophie was bad esp for being so recent and all

puppigurl2005 said:
been looking for this pic...someone tell me if its been posted before.
(corbis)
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m126/puppigurl2005/DWF15-688064.jpg
its a top view of Mabel's train...makes me hate it even more.
:ohmy: Awful really... If you compare that to Màxima's veil... pictures I just looked at because of her anniversary... but if Mabel liked it... but then I just cannot imagine anyone liking that...:ermm:

Alexandra of Denmark new dress was much better then her older one, that one sucked big time!

Yes but the hairdo? well i think it was terrible in both wedding occasions ...

I completely agree, Verde Esmeralda. That last one, with the flowers and all- yuck.
I also thought the dress was a bit of a let down, after her classy gala dresses. It seemed a little "off the rack"

Indeed, that dress looked like a "Bride's House"-one! :ermm:

LadyK said:
I completely agree, Verde Esmeralda. That last one, with the flowers and all- yuck.
I also thought the dress was a bit of a let down, after her classy gala dresses. It seemed a little "off the rack"

Last edited:
bigheadshirmp said:
i also think that the shoulder part of Mary's dress is too wide for her, maybe bcuz of how the sleeves are attached to the dress??...also....there's something wrong with her hairdo that makes her look weird.

besides that, I would agree that her dress looks prettier in the designer's drawing. The dress just looks too simple for a crown princess of denmark. someone might say that sometimes the simplier the better, but as for Mary's case...i find the dress a little bit boring for a royal bride.

her hair was too high, the tiara got lost against the hair do. I think it shouldve been lower & the tiara shouldve been worn more forward.

I was always

:lol: telling to myself : this girl has plenty of money and she has no taste no style no intesting clothes.

I do understand now first time i see her wedding and i can't believe no one has told her " do you really intend to wed dressed like this ?" :lol:

puppigurl2005 said:
been looking for this pic...someone tell me if its been posted before.
(corbis)
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m126/puppigurl2005/DWF15-688064.jpg
its a top view of Mabel's train...makes me hate it even more.

Considering how great she can look, Letizia didn't look very special on her wedding day ..

Victoria1999 said:
I think if the train didn't have all these bows, the dress would have been nice in general.

I agree with you. The bows are so baudy looking.

Back
Top Bottom