The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-22-2012, 05:26 AM
Courtier

Personally I don't think there was any bride that didn't look good on her wedding day. Maybe certain things were not to my taste or could have been done better - but to really not look good you have to mess up a lot of things, which I don't think any bride has done.
Not that I'm a big fan of the 80's looks but in their day those brides were also beautiful IMO.

I loved Diana's hair BTW

Old 02-09-2013, 11:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm pretty sure Mabel has been mentioned with her over done bow fetish, but i also have to say that a woman with ears like that should not wear her hair back.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 02-10-2013, 05:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaritsa View Post
I don't think there had been enough practice runs prior to the big day. The effects the tiara and voluminous veil on her hair had not been taken into consideration.

Her usual blowdry did not provide enough support, so instead of flicking off her face, the sides and fringe(bangs) were flattened against her head. If you look at her hair when she left for her honeymoon, it looks entirely different. For the first time that day, it actually appears to have been styled.
http://lisawallerrogers.files.wordpr...a_wedding1.jpg

This probably illustrates this quite well..? (there should be more pictures on this thread )
Old 02-10-2013, 05:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I'm pretty sure Mabel has been mentioned with her over done bow fetish, but i also have to say that a woman with ears like that should not wear her hair back.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Vp22WEUhQS...nge-Nassau.jpg

I see what you mean, but still think this was the best part of the wedding-look.. at least: no bows
Old 02-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Vp22WEUhQS...nge-Nassau.jpg

I see what you mean, but still think this was the best part of the wedding-look.. at least: no bows
I like Mabel.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Gentry

Princess Charlene of Monaco - She wore nice outfit, make-up was realy nice and hairstyle was great but her unhappy face ruined it all
Old 06-04-2018, 12:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Hey its been 5 years of weddings! Anyone want to discuss the recent royal brides who didn't look good on their big day? I'm adding Meghan Markle, Sofie of Sweden and Princess Madeleine to my list.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-04-2018, 01:34 PM
Courtier

I really don't understand this thread.

Do I think that some royal brides looked better than others on their wedding days? Of course. We all have different taste when it comes to flowers, hair, fashion, make-up and lost of other things. The ones who had a wedding that comes closer to my taste is of course the ones I personally like the most.

But they do all have one thing in common. They have chosen outfits, flowers, husbands and everything else that they like. Not what other people like. And I really appreciate it when people do their own thing, even if it isn't what I would have done.

So yeah, I'll move on from here before I annoy everyone even more.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:43 PM
Aristocracy

I found this thread offensive. Shaming is gross.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
I really don't understand this thread.

Do I think that some royal brides looked better than others on their wedding days? Of course. We all have different taste when it comes to flowers, hair, fashion, make-up and lost of other things. The ones who had a wedding that comes closer to my taste is of course the ones I personally like the most.

But they do all have one thing in common. They have chosen outfits, flowers, husbands and everything else that they like. Not what other people like. And I really appreciate it when people do their own thing, even if it isn't what I would have done.

So yeah, I'll move on from here before I annoy everyone even more.
I’ll second this. To me there is a difference between "things not being my taste" and "someone looking bad". I can’t remember a single bride who I thought looked bad. Even the brides whose dresses I disliked (princess Mabel) looked great on their day.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I don't know who does it, but I hate that Princess Margaret's and Sarah, Duchess of York's gowns do not get as much media attention as Elizabeth and Diana's. Both Sarah and Margaret's gowns were better than the women who were ranked higher than them.
I adore Princess Margaret's gown...absolute perfection!

Not a fan of Diana's gown but that's been rehashed a million times and there's nothing more, really, to be said.

I thought Catherine's gown was beautiful, if a bit expected.

Meghan looked stunning while Sophie's gown just didn't seem to work. It seemed too big and she appeared uncomfortable.

CP Mary also appeared uncomfortable but again, not a fan of her dress.

CP Victoria looked beautiful. I wasn't a fan of the Cameo Tiara or the veil but the dress itself was fabulous.

Sofia's dress was pretty but just didn't seem to really fit her personality and I'm not a fan of colored stones in wedding tiaras, though that's just a personal preference.

Mabel....oh my. That dress was just....hm.

Not a fan of Madeleine's dress....I thought the top looked okay but the bottom....it almost looked like the dress was made too short and then they added on the weird ruffle thing as an afterthought.

Maxima....I actually really loved the simplicity of her dress, particularly the top half.

I really wasn't a fan of Charlene's wedding look at all.

Letizia....just no. Perfect example of the dress wearing her rather than her wearing the dress.

Princess Anne's dress was....interesting. I can't really say that I hated it but I'm not sure I loved it, either. It was certainly unique.

I wasn't a huge fan of Sarah's dress, though her tiara was gorgeous.

Camilla looked beautiful.

Sarah Armstrong-Jones' dress looked terribly uncomfortable.

Serena Stanhope....that dress was just a mess all the way around.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

What a terribly unkind and unnecessary thread.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-04-2018, 02:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

I understand what you guys are saying, but seeing the discussions that are sometimes held in other threads, i don't know why we couldn't have a thread were we can respectfully mention some things we like less about bridal looks
(As these forums are almost exclusively about our opinions, rather than facts, i can imagine we can have an opinion on this too)

For instance (not a royal, but noble):
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/pc/C...C_rrZgl7Cl.jpg
This tiara imo is not a good "fit" for Katie Percy (daughter of the Duke of Northumberland), i feel that it's somehow lopsided and imo it looks like it could fall off at any time.
I think it is probably a family tiara, it must be great tk have something like that to wear, and she looks really happy and everything on all the pics i see of her, but why o why couldn't it have been a bit more straight...
Old 06-04-2018, 02:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Hey its been 5 years of weddings! Anyone want to discuss the recent royal brides who didn't look good on their big day? I'm adding Meghan Markle, Sofie of Sweden and Princess Madeleine to my list.
No because while ther are things about many brides' looks that I don't like, a woman's wedding day is special and IMO its very unkind to make a point of having a go at people whom you think "didnt' look good."
Im not a fan of Meghan Markle.. and there are points about her looks and dress that I could criticise.. but I would probably be unfair to the woman because I don't like her. I think it si fair enough to criticise details of a bride's ensemble. but to make a big point of it.. is unkind. I would not like to hear that people were criticsing MY wedding dress because it is something very special..
Old 06-04-2018, 02:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Sorry...?! Prcss Madeleine didn`t look good?! I ve hardly ever seen a more beautiful bride! What, please didn´t look goood about her....?
Meghan also looked lovely!
I`m no fan of these ladies - but one definetely cannot say they looked absolutely loveloy!
Old 06-04-2018, 02:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I understand what you guys are saying, but seeing the discussions that are sometimes held in other threads, i don't know why we couldn't have a thread were we can respectfully mention some things we like less about bridal looks
(As these forums are almost exclusively about our opinions, rather than facts, i can imagine we can have an opinion on this too)

When it comes to things people don’t like, respect tends to fly out the door. And since these opinions are already voiced in those respective threads, I don’t see why it needs to be repeated here. But to each their own.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Valid point, i guess this also goes for threads like "the most terrible fashion looks" (parts 1 to 4 )

I myself have less problem with these threads than for instance the thread about "most and least intelligent royal" (particularly the "least" part) or "Worst monarch of the 20th century"

Indeed, to each their own
Old 06-04-2018, 03:18 PM
Courtier

Wow, this is a terrible thread. I'm sure some brides don't look great or at least to my taste on their wedding day, but it's pretty mean to "ugly shame" them or whatever.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Valid point, i guess this also goes for threads like "the most terrible fashion looks" (parts 1 to 4 )

I myself have less problem with these threads than for instance the thread about "most and least intelligent royal" (particularly the "least" part) or "Worst monarch of the 20th century"

Indeed, to each their own
I never participated in the other ones either, but isn’t "Worst monarch of the 20th century” based on, I don’t know, things they did?? You know, other than dress sense. To me that makes it bit different, it givess me the idea we are discussing facts and not mere opinions dressed up as facts.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ideally, a woman has only one chance to be a lovely bride. And most women make an epic effort to be such a bride. Some are more successful than others. These women are neither actresses nor fashion models. But they don’t get a do-over on how to look. Every former bride on this forum would be crushed to have her wedding photo posted and judged as ‘didn’t look so good’. It’s one thing to say, ‘Princess Yaddayadda didn’t look good in that dress she wore to the ribbon-cutting yesterday’; she’ll have another ribbon to cut soon.

Why have a thread that is predicated on criticizing a woman’s appearance on the most dramatic day of her life? Or is it just another platform to criticize a Royal you may already dislike? Seems a little mean to me.

Abraham Lincoln

Tags
bride, royal weddings