Least Favourite Royal Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How many brides would have dared it to break so with any convention? And that during a princely marriage, aired live on television in various countries?

It was a true mastierpiece of art, it marked the bride's personality and when the train was removed the Princess looked like a most stylish 1960's bride. I have nearly forgotten most gowns. Except this one.
:)

I agree, the dress was true couture, certainly better tailored and cut than many recent royal weddingdresses. Maybe not to everyones taste, but one cannot complain about the quality and craftmanship. If she had not had the bows on the train I would have liked it alot but the giant bows was overkill, the short veil was cute I thought (well a long veil would have covered all those bows:p ) the tiara was really ugly no matter the quality of the diamonds though, it looked like antlers.

I like when brides dare to be different and dont go right in the predictable "Satin and lace Princess dress" trap. I love Laura Pontes dress (Pretty alone about likeing that one it seems) so differnet, so personal and so I-dont-care-if-the-whole-royal-family-is-comming-to-my-wedding-I-will-wear-what-I-like, and the upside down tiara was just perfect for her.

I much rather see a personal dress like Laura than those IMO, ghastly Valentino creations of Clotilde and Marie Chantal (MC dress is certainly couture as well but she looked like a cream cake in it) and poor Princess Anette, she has the prettiest and sweetest face int he whole dutch royal family but that dress did her no favours what so ever. It looked like it was made of the same material as Dianas dress, because it was all wrinkled and crunched.

I too thought Mabel's dress quite lovely - but the overpowering bow thing on the train was rather strange- why not reverse the bows starting with the big bow at the top of the train and then gradually getting smaller like the dress. It was original though and the veil and bouquet were very nice too

Henri M. said:
How many brides would have dared it to break so with any convention? And that during a princely marriage, aired live on television in various countries?

It was a true mastierpiece of art, it marked the bride's personality and when the train was removed the Princess looked like a most stylish 1960's bride. I have nearly forgotten most gowns. Except this one.
:)

Well, the train wasn´t removed and all the craftmanship in the world can not make up for those horrible big bows on the train. BTW, Viktor and Rolf werent to pleased with the end result either, but Mabel wanted to keep it as it was...

Not everybody with a marked personallity has to wear such extravagant clothing. Martha-Louise found a nice middle way I think. And daring to break conventions just for the sake of it isn´t very healthy either.

How are the bows in line with the princess character? Maybe after each bow we unwrap we find another piece of surprising information on her?

Is she an HRH btw? Or just an HH (HRH would be insulting to Princesses Marilene and Annette IMO, who married WITH approval of the goverment and without loss of succession rights).

Larzen said:
I agree, the dress was true couture, certainly better tailored and cut than many recent royal weddingdresses. Maybe not to everyones taste, but one cannot complain about the quality and craftmanship. If she had not had the bows on the train I would have liked it alot but the giant bows was overkill, the short veil was cute I thought (well a long veil would have covered all those bows:p ) the tiara was really ugly no matter the quality of the diamonds though.

The tiara was ugly on Mabel IMO, Maxima has worn it twice and it looked quite nice on her , I thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marengo said:
Is she an HRH btw? Or just an HH (HRH would be insulting to Princesses Marilene and Annette IMO, who married WITH approval of the goverment and without loss of succession rights).

The HRH and the HH have nothing to do with marrying with or without approval.

A hereditary successor who wants to remain in line of succession, must marry with an Act of Consent.
This must be requested by them to the Government, which will offer and defend such a Bill to the joint assembly of the First and Second Chamber of the States-General. By not doing so, Princess Irene, Princess Christina, Prince Friso, Prince Pieter-Christiaan and Prince Floris have lost their places in the line of hereditary succession.

Princess Irene, Princess Christina and Prince Friso are HRH by birth, being the child of a (future) Sovereign.

Prince Pieter-Christiaan and Prince Floris are a HH by birth, by virtue of their personal and non-hereditary title, granted to them by their grandmother Queen Juliana.

Upon ther marriages Mabel Wisse Smit, Laurentien Brinkhorst, Marilène van den Broek, Annette Sekrève, Aimée Söhngen and Anita van Eyck did not acquire any title or nobility. It is traditional that female spouses of titled persons can use their husband's style and title(s) en titre courteoisie.

Only Máxima Zorreguieta was really elevated into the royal rank, she is created a Princess in her own right, with her own arms, with her own personal standard, with her own income, with her own place in the Council of State, etc. She is the Second Lady and she will most likely act as a Regentess for a minor Queen Catharina-Amalia, might something unexpected happen to the Queen and the Prince of Orange.

There are five real Princesses in the Netherlands Royal House:

Queen Beatrix (by birth)
Princess Máxima (by elevation)
Princess Catharina-Amalia (by birth)
Princess Alexia (by birth)
Princess Margriet (by birth)

Last edited:
mabel dress had a lovely cut tho, did she commiss the Bows specifiically?

The train wit Bows would have looked nice tho.

I also agree about Letizia gown being a disappointment esp after that red dress at the Danish wedding!

Last edited by a moderator:
The bows were the theme of that years Viktor & Rolf collection and Mabel liked the idea (and I have to confess that they look lovely, apart from the train).

Marengo said:
The bows were the theme of that years Viktor & Rolf collection and Mabel liked the idea (and I have to confess that they look lovely, apart from the train).
Couldn't agree more. If the bows on the train hadn't been so monstously huge, a ton of people who don't appreciate that dress today, might have otherwise. Apart from thetrain, I actually liked the dress, even though I'm not a bows fan. I loved the boat neck to start with, the cut of the dress was one of the best of recent years, and the color was "snow white", really realy white haha, and that looked so fresh! A ton of these bridal dresses these days are cream color or ivory, and while that can be lovely, I liked that Mabel chose the whitest of white, and it looked wonderful on her. Her bouquet was amazing too, her veil very fresh and reminiscent of the veil of Beatrix, which I appreciated as a gesture.

True the tiara was awful, what was she thinking?! But I also think that a lot of people who didn't like the dress, say that because it provides an opportunity to criticize the very polarizing persona that is Mabel....

Again, apart from the train, I thought she was one of the best royal brides of late. I thought she was much much better than Milk Maid Mary, what with her ill-fitting veil and the huge flap of napkin hanging from her waist, waiting to be utilized milking the royal cows in the stable. Mary's tiara was all but there: it was hardly visible. Of course, the poor girl didn't have a choice wearing it; it was a present of Margarethe: silent revenge of the mom in law? For some reason to this day I can't see any synergy between Margarethe and Mary.

And then Letizia, that gorgeous girl, but what a disaster as a bride! She looked like a tiny kid playing dress up in a grown up dress. The dress in and by itself was fine, but not for her! The collar seemed to do its best to cut off her tiny neck, her head all but tried to swim above the collar, without success. Her hair was horrible: it looked like either it had too much hair spray, or it hadn't been washed in weeks. Terrible.

And while I'm at it, one of my now favorite princesses was a weirdly terrible looking bride: Alexandra of Denmark. One word: That Afro on her head!! What was she thinking, that she was going to go to a seventies-style disco party in Studio 54 afterwards? It looked terrible. for some reason, while the gown was ok, it didn't suit her: it made what is a very petite woman, look pudgy. What was up with that?! And her veil with that white rim just looked tacky, instead of royal. A disappointment all around.

Alexandra hair made her usually elegant face look so big! god, that hair!

I loved the cut of Mabels dress. I also liked the veil and the tiara but the bows if only they were smaller.

I remeber finding pictures of princess Alexandras dress but I could get past the hair it was huge.

Alexandra's hair may be bit annoyed some people (including me) but Alexandra herself looked good in overall I think it was because of her radiant smile and all the happiness sparkle from her eyes. The couple looked very happy, that made them look good in their wedding. I like the moment when they were dancing in the wedding they looked soooo in love one each other. Her gown also wonderfull with thousands little pearls on it (a Princess gown on my dream, lot of pearls and gems stone ;) ). For me Princess Alexandra wasn't seen as a bride who didn't look good in her wedding day:wub: .

letizia

i was quite disapointed by the look of letizia on her wedding day, she was so beautiful at her engagement and befor on screen
50886974.jpg

1124543.jpg

all ladies know that you dont have to mixt gold, with silver....here lalla salma is like usually......not very just...till today....she is not elegant yet...the worst look again is the photo with the awful moroccan green dress after Moulay AL Hassan birth

princess olga said:
I completely agree about the "perfection from the hips up." And as many of us have been saying, the cut and material of the gown were just perfect, too.
And anyway, thank goodness Mabel didn't have her mind set on that pink concoction on the left! ;)

I agree 100%. The cut and fabric are marvelous. I'll even go as far in saying that the bows on the skirt are "okay." However, the train ruined it for me.

ikram said:
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/1124543.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193A165B17864454768E22E169108F9C14D

all ladies know that you dont have to mixt gold, with silver....here lalla salma is like usually......not very just...till today....she is not elegant yet...the worst look again is the photo with the awful moroccan green dress after Moulay AL Hassan birth

I do not think the rule of not mixing gold and silver applies. You can definitely mix it so long as they look good. It all depends on how you mix them. Lots of pieces in eg. Tiffany, Cartier are a mixture of gold and silver and sometimes even rose gold.

In my opinion, she looks lovely. And that 'silver look' looks to be diamonds - large diamonds.

unlikeanygirl said:
I do not think the rule of not mixing gold and silver applies. You can definitely mix it so long as they look good. It all depends on how you mix them. Lots of pieces in eg. Tiffany, Cartier are a mixture of gold and silver and sometimes even rose gold.

In my opinion, she looks lovely. And that 'silver look' looks to be diamonds - large diamonds.

I also don't see something wrong with Salma's looks at her wedding,she was stunning,and I like the traditional dress,nice combinaison,obviously,the white/yellow jewels she's wearing are from CHOPARD,it's identifiable from their greek pattern touch.

U are right unlikeanygirl about the mix thing of silver and gold colours thing,many famous designers use that on their collections,and it gives a beautiful result,i know something about it,as I have a Cartier Santos silver/gold watch and I won' change it for any other one.

I actually like Mabel's gown and train. It is unique and it is good that Mabel is able to get across her wish to have her favorite bows on her big day.
To me, individuality is what is most important to a bride. If she like something, she should just go for it. At least, Mabel's gown is different from the rest of the royal brides. With Claire and Anita having similar dress, Matilda, Sophie, Laurentien, Annette, having similar design/coat gown, Mabel's gown is unique and original. Imagine if you are a guest at the ceremony, and the bride walk in with that bow train behind her - wow it is a nice surprise!

From a personal point of view, strapless gown are the IN thinggy in my country. But looking back at my frens wedding for the past few year, the gowns all look the same! No individuality at all! To me, what most important that the gown is a dream gown of the bride - it does not matterwhether is it going to look timeless 20 years from now. As long as the bride gets to wear her dream gown on the happiest day of her life!

Mabel (Netherlands) - Bows are cute on 6 year olds....not on a grown woman's wedding gown.

Kalina (Bulgaria) - There are no words for this.

Diana - I love the fact it is so ridiculously 80s. You can't picture bad 80s dresses without this one.

Marina Ogilvie - What? Is that a dress? Okay.

princess olga said:
Again, apart from the train, I thought she was one of the best royal brides of late. I thought she was much much better than Milk Maid Mary, what with her ill-fitting veil and the huge flap of napkin hanging from her waist, waiting to be utilized milking the royal cows in the stable. Mary's tiara was all but there: it was hardly visible. Of course, the poor girl didn't have a choice wearing it; it was a present of Margarethe: silent revenge of the mom in law? For some reason to this day I can't see any synergy between Margarethe and Mary.

I have to take exception to the "ill-fitting veil" portion of this monologue. The veil fit fine. It may have appeared to be off-kilter because of her hairstyle, but it is not a normal veil that you'd see a bride wear, in that's it's longer than it is wide. So, it's like a long lace runner you'd put on your table.

I can see no other way for her to wear it other than how she did. And why didn't you like her dress? Seeing as she had this 100-year old veil on her head, huge earrings and diamond tiara, a simple dress was the right way to go AND it flattered her figure. She didn't need some overdone cupcake dress (see: Mabel).

Sister Morphine said:
I have to take exception to the "ill-fitting veil" portion of this monologue. The veil fit fine. It may have appeared to be off-kilter because of her hairstyle, but it is not a normal veil that you'd see a bride wear, in that's it's longer than it is wide. So, it's like a long lace runner you'd put on your table.

I can see no other way for her to wear it other than how she did.
Well, I can. Just look at the pictures of for example her mother in law as a bride, Margarethe, and how much better the veil, which is the same veil, fit on her. I think that Mary's hairdo was a bit too high in the back, that's why, in my opinion, the veil looked weirdly ill fitting.

Sister Morphine said:
And why didn't you like her dress? Seeing as she had this 100-year old veil on her head, huge earrings and diamond tiara, a simple dress was the right way to go AND it flattered her figure. She didn't need some overdone cupcake dress (see: Mabel).
I liked the top of her dress just fine. As for the flaps on the skirt, let's just say that I think that that looked infinitely better on the sketch of the dress, than the actual end result.
And as for Mabel: I agree to disagree here. Not a fan of bows myself, but I can kindof think them away, after which an exquisite designed dress emerges, much better executed than Mary's.

i liked the cut of mabel dress and tats about it!

CP Mary looked either extraordinarily nervous or like an ice queen. Why didn't she let that lace table runner veil drop off the back of her hair bun (like Princess Margaret)? It wouldn't have been so funny looking.

Personally, I really like her dress. I thought it was a great way to showcase the old lace peeking out from under the panels. The three-quarter sleeves were to die for, and very flattering.

I think CP Mary was just very nervous, obviously, but more importantly, ivory is not her color! The color seemed to wash her out- she was so pale, her skin matching her dress.

Mary's Dress looked (IMO) prettier in the designer's drawing. Check out the Wedding dress sketches thread in "Old, New, Royal and Blue."

The three-quarter sleeves were to die for, and very flattering.

Yes! Very nice cut!!

Mary's Dress looked (IMO) prettier in the designer's drawing.

Yes also. I think it's because the dress seemed a bit too large on her shoulders...and the lace panels looked different on the drawings.

I think most royal wedding dresses can be excused in one way or another - except for Princess Mabel's Bow Monstroscity! I think she was trying to be visible to the astronauts in the International Space Station.

did anyone see lord of the dance wifes dress. now that is what u call stunning and understated elegance~

LadyK said:
I think CP Mary was just very nervous, obviously, but more importantly, ivory is not her color! The color seemed to wash her out- she was so pale, her skin matching her dress.

Mary's Dress looked (IMO) prettier in the designer's drawing. Check out the Wedding dress sketches thread in "Old, New, Royal and Blue."

I loved Mary's dress and I think, they vere better than Mathilde's or Maxima's. I just think color of dress was wonderful, and she looked like true princess in her wedding day.

I was looking at this thread and found so many ugly dresses, it´s hard to choose the worst: Kalina of Bulgaria, M. Chantal, Soraya, Diana, Sayako(who is she?), Astrid of Liechtenstein,Laura Ponte. And the winner is Mabel!!!!!

Disater's-no way around it
Kalina of Bulgeria
Laura Ponte
Gloria Von Schoenburg
Maria Cantel

Pretty/beautiful women not looking their best
Astrid of Belgium -a beautiful woman but a horrible dress mainly the sleeves

Diana-I didn't like it in 1981 and I like it even less now and her hair was too lat and limp that day.It's too bad a pretty woman who looked great 99% of the time-but not her wedding day.

Grace of Monaco-I will get heat for this one but she looked too rigid in it and they way her hair was fixed was too severe.Beautiful woman but she looked too pulled together.

Rania-didn't like the hair or the dress but she is a beautiful stylish woman no doubt.

Annette-mainly it's the ill fitting dress she's quite pretty herself.

Princess Alexandra -too much dress on too little bride the looked is so boxy.

Mabel-lose the bows and she might not make the list

Masako-love her but her beauty is hidden and the dress looks like it was made for a doll

Serena Lindly-don't like the hair at all ,not crazy about the dress either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom