More Than One Gown?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KMD

Commoner
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
The latest Royal wedding news says that Lady Gabriella had FOUR dresses to wear at her wedding celebrations. Which were spread over several events. Which meant that the guests had to choose more than one outfit. Other recent high profile brides had similar extended weddings.
Where do you think this trend is leading? Is it conspicuous consumption?
One upmanship? A gift to wedding designers?
How much is enough?

Well, I suppose on the one side you could say that the bride will (hopefully) only marry once, that sometimes different receptions cater for different guests and that these young women, and their families, can afford it so why not.

On the other hand, perhaps because I work in the social welfare area where clients sometimes haven't eaten for two or three days, I do see this sort of consumption as OTT. I know these weddings are happy occasions and nothing is going to stop poverty, certainly not lavish weddings, but consumption like this does bring the sort of world the Lady Gabriellas inhabit into sharp contrast with how others live. I guess that's just a question that brides from a wealthy background have to settle for themselves.

How much is enough?

We actually have no proof she did have 4, it makes little sense for her to have 4. One wedding dress and one dress for the evening reception which is what we saw.

Usually a change of dress during the day is either due to change of venue (like Gabrielle’s) or because the wedding dress is heavy and unsuitable for dancing.

I had two due to a change of venue, prior to getting married myself I thought a change of dress during your day was unnecessary, but then I went dress shopping and fell in love with them all! Ha. If I could have afforded it I would have had 4.

From a guest perspective, 2 outfit changes is hardly an issue. Most of the people attending these kind of weddings have a vast wardrobe or have enough connections in the fashion world to be able to borrow for the day.

I personally don’t think there is an “enough” when it comes to a wedding.

Last edited:
I thought most brides these days have a wedding dress, then an evening reception dress for dancing partying, then their going away leaving the reception for a honeymoon outfit.

I guess the question here is really how reliable is the Source of the information. Or is it made up nonsense.

It was said that Gabriella's bridal designer made her a dress for a large brunch that her parents were throwing for the wedding guests on the Sunday and a seperate outfit to change into after the brunch for when she left to go on honeymoon. If so then these other two would make up the four dresses in total but they would be day dresses, although probably lovely all the same.

Thank you Sophie that makes more sense.

It was said that Gabriella's bridal designer made her a dress for a large brunch that her parents were throwing for the wedding guests on the Sunday and a seperate outfit to change into after the brunch for when she left to go on honeymoon. If so then these other two would make up the four dresses in total but they would be day dresses, although probably lovely all the same.

That is very much my understanding as well.

As regards the brunch the following day, my guess is that they had a number of friends and families visiting from overseas, and wanted to entertain them in an elegant yet casual manner and hence, the Sunday brunch. My guess is the Ella's clothes for the brunch and the "going away" ensemble would be eminently reusable in the future.

I think people are entitled to spend their own money in any way they wish.

I would consider that Lady Gabriella only had two dresses for her wedding; her clothes for the brunch and for going away really fall into a different category.

Perhaps she didn't need a different dress for the evening party, but all of the recent brides we've seen have worn one. It's a trend that shows no sign of stopping.

Ahh that makes sense. In that case I really only see it as two dresses and two outfits were made for Gabriella. Anything not worn on the day, for me, is not a wedding dress.

I agree with Mirabel....the bride(or her familys') money, her choice. If they want to live it up and show off for what will(hopefully) be her one big day in the spotlight I am all for it!

I think Beatrice Borromeo must hold the record. When she married Pierre Casiraghi in Monaco and the Borromeo Islands over a 3 day period, I think I counted at least 6-7 different gowns.:ohmy:

Last edited:
There are so many types of weddings these days it's hard to judge what's 'normal' & what's OTT. In the last 10 years I've attended minimalist affairs with just the ceremony plus canapés & Champagne, evening-only weddings that started about 5pm so we all wore evening dress to the wedding, two-day events with afternoon reception, an evening party & a barbecue lunch (one with ice-cream vans & children's entertainers) on Sunday. I've also attended a 'festival-theme' wedding with live music, food vans & a beer tent. I've been to receptions in hotels, ancient barns, Scandinavian tipis, pole marquees, a tower, a castle & a floating sailing club converted from a ferry.

One thing that's changed from the past is that people are more creative about their receptions so that's the only 'trend' I've seen.

Last edited:
How can we all come to grips with our financial situations at a time when no one seems to have enough?

I agree with Mirabel....the bride(or her familys') money, her choice. If they want to live it up and show off for what will(hopefully) be her one big day in the spotlight I am all for it!

I think Beatrice Borromeo must hold the record. When she married Pierre Casiraghi in Monaco and the Borromeo Islands over a 3 day period, I think I counted at least 6-7 different gowns.:ohmy:

Beatrice had 5 :flowers:

Like Gabriella, part was due to multiple events. Though still excessive.

-pink Bohemian Valentino she wore to the ceremony in Monaco
-a second high end Valentino for the evening reception in Monaco
-an embroidered dress Friday in Italy to welcome guests
-her lace gown and veil on her wedding day in Italy
- and then the stunning gown with the cape effect for the evening party

Gabriella I find far less excessive. She really only had 2 gowns. And even among commoners that is quite normal. She simply had an outfit to wear for her brunch with her family and one to leave on a honeymoon. Nothing over the top, though seems custom made.

First of all we are talking about a royal wedding, of course. But on the Continent, where the only legal binding wedding is the civil one, a bride often has more dresses, also because the civil wedding and the religious service are often not on the same day.

When the civil wedding is on a Thursday and the religious service is on a Saturday you will often see this during royal weddings:

THURSDAY
- Civil Wedding (festive dress)

FRIDAY
- Welcoming of guests, brunch ( festive dress)
- Pre-wedding ball (festive dress)

SATURDAY
- Religious service (bridal gown)
- Wedding reception and dinner (festive dress or bridal gown)

SUNDAY
- Farewell brunch for the guests + leaving for honeymoon (festive dress)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom