The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-31-2007, 08:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Finally found it ! Alright, only for the organisation (transport, food, etc.) the wedding of Charles and Dinana almost cost 2 millions canadian dollars. Didn't do the conversion but that's some money !

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 07-31-2007, 09:20 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M. View Post

This means that the almost 6,3 metres luxuriant point d’esprit veil of silk tulle, decorated with hand-embroidered flower and tendril motifs did cost between € 58.000,-- and € 76.000,--........

See a good picture of the 6, 3 metres veil covering the 5 metres train
Well, for that money I hope she will lend it to her daughter Catharina-Amalia in the far, far future, like the Belgians do with the veil of Queen Paola´s grandmother. Of course it wouldn´t hurt to see the veil again, it is breathtakingly beautiful.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
Finally found it ! Alright, only for the organisation (transport, food, etc.) the wedding of Charles and Dinana almost cost 2 millions canadian dollars. Didn't do the conversion but that's some money !
Two million?
I thought it would be a multitude of the amount paid for the wedding of The Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima!
Old 08-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Aristocracy

But the inflation rate was different!

Quote:
Two million?
I thought it would be a multitude of the amount paid for the wedding of The Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima!
Old 08-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I read somwhere (don't ask where because I don't remember) that Felipe and Letizia's wedding cost about €35 mln.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Courtier

it is my understanding the Andrew and Sarah's actually cost more. The goverment had to spend more as they expecting more people to attend due to the success of the Wales' wedding internationally.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Here's some numbers (not only money but interesting anyway)
From this site

Quote:
No expense was spared to honor the event. On the eve of the wedding, 101 celebratory bonfires were lighted throughout the United Kingdom, and a dazzling display of pyrotechnics was set off in Hyde Park. London's buses were painted with festive bows, and the royal crest of the Prince of Wales, created using 4,500 pots of blooming plants, adorned the wedding route. Lady Diana traveled to St. Paul's in a glass coach. The magnificent wedding cake cost $6,000. The bride's gown, created by Mayfair designers David and Elizabeth Emanuel, was made from 40 yards of silk taffeta, 100 yards of crinoline, some old Carrickmacross lace once belonging to Queen Mary, and thousands of mother-of-pearl sequins. A small 18-karat gold horseshoe was tucked into the billowing skirts for good luck.
It's also said that people paid $390 (US dollars) to see the wedding from the windows of the offices in the street going to St Paul's.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 10-23-2007, 06:29 PM
Gentry

i heard throught the forbes magazine that prince charles and princess diana was 3.5 million, sarah and andrew was 1.5, princess anne 1.5 and princess margaret was 2 million (mostly liquor lol)
Old 11-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Gentry

i heard diana's n charles was 4 million...william's will probably be double than that
Old 11-10-2008, 02:56 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
This absurd amount was regulary figured in the media around the wedding.

The exorbitant costs were due to the long lace veil. It seems that Valentino Garavani had to order a special loom and many ladies had to weave line for line of the very complicated pattern. After this the flowers and tendril motifs were embroidered by hand. This was months of work.

The dress itself (a long-sleeved gown of ivory mikado silk with a cowl neckline, close fit and flaring slightly from the waist and a 5 metres train) was between € 18.000,-- and € 22.000,-- so it was assumed.

This means that the almost 6,3 metres luxuriant point d’esprit veil of silk tulle, decorated with hand-embroidered flower and tendril motifs did cost between € 58.000,-- and € 76.000,--........

See a good picture of the 6, 3 metres veil covering the 5 metres train
You know if I were a dutch tax payer, I would be really pissed off. I think it is really an exagaratedly ostentatious Expense. Whats weong with a 15,000 Euro wedding gown. Maxima was young and attractive, fine figured and could have looked fabulous in a more reasonable priced gown.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:26 AM
Royal Highness

I read an artical about the Emanuels (David and Elizabeth) who designed and made Princess Diana's wedding dress. From what I recall, they did not intend to charge a fee for the dress but Princess Diana's mother, Frances Shand-Kydd, insisted on paying something, so they accepted a token amount of 2000 guinees ( a guinee is about £1.05 which equates to the dress costing £2100.00). That was over 27 years ago so not sure how much it would be in today's prices.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:50 AM
Nobility

Maxima's dress wasn't over the top expensive for a Crownprincess if you ask me. The veil may have been expensive, it was a magnificent piece of work and I hope one day her daugthers can wear it on their wedding. Mabel's dress (the hideous one with al the bows) costed the same or even more.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Royal Highness

to suppose
Diana & Charles
Maxima & W.Alexander
Letizia & Felipe's royal wedding
Old 11-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardinha View Post
Are you sure you didn't forget a 0? I can't believe Letizia's gown was so (relatively) cheap...
The gown was created by Pertegaz, a designer "cheap" in comparation with other gown's designer
Old 11-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Aristocracy

Do you know how much money spent the Iranian Imperial House with the gowns of Soraya and Farah Diba? (The two by Dior).

Regards!!

Tags
finances, royal weddings, wedding costs