The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-13-2011, 09:38 AM

How did other princes meet their brides?

Hi everyone!

Prince William and Kate Middleton's up and coming wedding seems to reflect a sign of the times where young women can literally meet their 'princes' whilst at university.

Does anyone know of any other interesting stories of how princes first met their brides? I am particularly interested in non-European stories but would be glad for any information at all on this topic!

Old 04-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Very interesting thread. Lets start

- CP Frederik met CP Mary at OG Sydney 2004
- Prince Albert, met Charlene I think in a woldchampionship
- CP Prince Felipe met CP Letizia in the Prestige catastrophy and in a journalist's dinner (I never remember which one of the two events happened first).
- Prince Joachim of DK met Marie in an event with friends
- King Gustav of Sweden met Queen Silvia at the OG of Munich, 1972
- CP Victoria met Daniel when she started exercizing and he was her teacher.
- CP Haakon met MM when she was working in a pastry shop.

That's all I remember now

Old 04-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Nobility

- Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus met at the wedding-eve party of Tatjana Princess of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and Moritz Landgrave of Hesse

- Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa met at University in Geneva

- Crown Prince Willem-Alexander and Crown Princess Maxima first met at the Seville Spring Fair

- Crown Prince Philippe and Crown Princess Mathilde met at a tennis match
Old 04-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003
Very interesting thread. Lets start

- CP Frederik met CP Mary at OG Sydney 2004
- Prince Albert, met Charlene I think in a woldchampionship
- CP Prince Felipe met CP Letizia in the Prestige catastrophy and in a journalist's dinner (I never remember which one of the two events happened first).
- Prince Joachim of DK met Marie in an event with friends
- King Gustav of Sweden met Queen Silvia at the OG of Munich, 1972
- CP Victoria met Daniel when she started exercizing and he was her teacher.
- CP Haakon met MM when she was working in a pastry shop.

That's all I remember now
I though Haakon met Mette Marit at a rock festival.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
I though Haakon met Mette Marit at a rock festival.
Quite right, that is the official story, he met her and gave her a lift home.
The olympic games are probably the best place to catch a royal statistically speaking. I for one don't believe that all the girls "had no idea who they were meeting" I heard that Maxima and WA met at a dinner party in NY and he told her that he was the "prince of the netherlands", but she didn't notice him too much, adn he was taken by her bubbley nature.
What about Laurent and Claire
Friso and mabel
const and Laurent
the greek princes
Old 04-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Serene Highness

I read somewhere on the forums that Laurent and Claire met at a gathering at a friend's house and they washed the dishes together after people left/finished eating.

I believe Queen Beatrix is friends with one or both of Princess Laurentin's parents which may be how she and Constantijn met?
Old 04-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
I heard that Maxima and WA met at a dinner party in NY and he told her that he was the "prince of the netherlands", but she didn't notice him too much, adn he was taken by her bubbley nature.
They first met in Seville, Spain and then, again, a few weeks later in New York.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
I believe Queen Beatrix is friends with one or both of Princess Laurentin's parents which may be how she and Constantijn met?
Beatrix has been friends with Laurentien's parents for decades - I think she and Laurentien's mother lived together at university. I think Laurentien has known the 3 princes all her life.

Philip and Elizabeth - met when the King and Queen and two young princesses were visiting the naval college at Dartmouth
Harald and Sonja - party at a mutual friend's home
Margrethe and Henrik - dinner party in London, where he was working at the French Embassy and she was studying at the London School of Economics
Benedikte and Richard - Beatrix and Claus's wedding
Margriet and Pieter van Vollenhoven - met at Leiden University
Old 04-14-2011, 05:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
Quite right, that is the official story, he met her and gave her a lift home.
The olympic games are probably the best place to catch a royal statistically speaking. I for one don't believe that all the girls "had no idea who they were meeting" I heard that Maxima and WA met at a dinner party in NY and he told her that he was the "prince of the netherlands", but she didn't notice him too much, adn he was taken by her bubbley nature.
For MM and Haakon I think they knew themselves already from the place she was working and after that they met at the rock festival.
As regards if they girls "knew", CP Mary said that she perfectly knew.
For MM and Letizia, being from the same country, I'm sure that they knew.
The only one whi did not know was Grand Duchess Maria Theresa. They met at the University in Geneva and he was there ingognito. This i believe, because is easy to live incognito in Geveva.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I thought Mary did not know who Frederik was until she was told. Because Mette-Marit is Norwegian she definitely knew Haakon was right?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-30-2011, 11:25 PM
Nobility

I don't know the details of Haakon and Mette-Marit's meeting but I would certainly hope she knew who he was! If not, when they announced the engagement, being both Norwegian and marrying the heir of the country she had lived in all her life, she would have appeared to have crawled out from under a rock, or to not be at all patriotic (even in the remotest way), or plain uneducated (surely the majority of healthy people, despite their political leanings, would know if they had a monarch and, at the very least, his/her name and the name of the heir and surely if they took even a small interest in the news/affairs of their country they would recognize the important faces). If it turns out that Mette-Marit did not know who he was when they first met, then I hope she thought it a very close look-alike to the crown prince!
Old 09-30-2011, 11:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I thought Mary did not know who Frederik was until she was told. Because Mette-Marit is Norwegian she definitely knew Haakon was right?

I've read that Mary Donaldson and her friends had known that there would be some members of various royal houses at the Slip Inn that evening, but they weren't sure who was who when they first saw the group. As I recall royal cousins Felipe, Nico, and Frederik were present there and maybe Princess Martha Louise.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:49 PM
Nobility

I read something similar about their meeting also, although I don't recall which other royals were present. I wonder if the Crown Prince of Denmark was pointed out to Mary before they actually spoke.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Actually, if we are going to diverge from their stated "meetings", I believe a credible reference is required. If not, we can basically say what we want and just become another tabloid on a slow new day!
Old 10-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Courtier

What about king and queen of Sweden? King and queen of Spain? I read somewhere that Juan Carlos and Sofia's wedding had been decided by their families. Is it true? It could be possible because at that time Spain lived very difficult events, and we could also think that in this past things happened like this, but didn't Elizabeth and Philip make a "love-wedding"?
Old 10-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyKate View Post
What about king and queen of Sweden? King and queen of Spain? I read somewhere that Juan Carlos and Sofia's wedding had been decided by their families. Is it true? It could be possible because at that time Spain lived very difficult events, and we could also think that in this past things happened like this, but didn't Elizabeth and Philip make a "love-wedding"?
King and Queen of Sweden met during Olympic Games in Munich in 1972, when Silvia Sommerlath worked as a hostess and an interpreter to official guests (which included Prince Carl Gustaf)
King and Queen of Spain met in 1954 during a cruise on a yacht "Agamemnon" belonging to her parents, but no sooner than in 1961, on the wedding party of the Duke and Duchess of Kent, they realized that they were in love.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
King and Queen of Sweden met during Olympic Games in Munich in 1972, when Silvia Sommerlath worked as a hostess and an interpreter to official guests (which included Prince Carl Gustaf)
King and Queen of Spain met in 1954 during a cruise on a yacht "Agamemnon" belonging to her parents, but no sooner than in 1961, on the wedding party of the Duke and Duchess of Kent, they realized that they were in love.
realy? veyr nice story , any body know how Princess Maxima meet her Husband?
Old 10-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Thank you! I love being told about royal love stories!
Old 10-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Serene Highness

Prince Bertil and Lilian Craig met in London in 1943, at the nightclub Les Ambassadeurs, where she was with some friends. The nightclub owner presented her to Bertil, and she got his telephone number. She called him a couple of days later and invited him to her 28th birthday party. All according to princess Lilian's self biography and this artcle: Paret som säkrade den svenska tronen | Inrikes | SvD

As for the first meeting of Carl Gustav and Siliva Sommerlath, the small photo in this article is said to be from that meeting: Aftonbladet mediecenter: 100 r med Aftonbladet
Old 10-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Serene Highness

The parents of king Carl Gustav of Sweden, prince Gustav Adolf and princess Sibylla met eachothers for the first time in November 1931 at the wedding of lady May Cambridge and Henry Abel Smith. Princess Sibylla and princess Ingrid of Sweden were bridesmaids, and Ingrid introduced her brother to Sibylla.

Tags
commoner, marriage, prince, royal weddings, unusual