House of Windsor Representation at Royal Weddings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^^^^
Not that we go in much for revolutions, at least not for a few hundred years, but the UK is a member of the EU and there is free movement of citizens within the EU so if they were to decide to pack up and leave they have many options open to them in Europe.

Its almost 2013. Just what sort of help do you imagine a continental royal family might possibly render the BRF? They are all constitutional monarchies without political power.
It was never announced from Buckingham Palace that William & Catherine would travel to Luxembourg. That "new item" came from the Luxembourg press which was purely wishful thinking on their part.

The chances of it ever happening are nil but imagine that not one Continental Royal house ever sends a representative to any other wedding, funeral or Jubilee event in London?? Imagine if no foreign Royals had shown up to the Will/Kate wedding-not even the Greeks??

All that would have been left outside of the couples' families and friends would have been a bunch of socialites wearing "the ugliest hats and fascinators ever seen" as Karl Lagerfeld correctly stated, in addition to the usual footballers and TV starlets. How suitable, how prestigious an event for a couple who will hopefully be King and Queen if all goes according to plan! :ohmy:

ALL of modern day Royalty is virtually in the same boat. They all need one another to some extent and that includes the Brits.

Despite what some in the Luxembourg media might have thought in the beginning the Cambridges were not needed or missed at the Guillaume/Stephanie wedding in October. It was magnificent and glamourous on every level.

And Lumutqueen is 100% correct..nobody could have stolen the bride's thunder even if they'd tried.

Last edited:
The chances of it ever happening are nil but imagine that not one Continental Royal house ever sends a representative to any other wedding, funeral or Jubilee event in London?? Imagine if no foreign Royals had shown up to the Will/Kate wedding-not even the Greeks??

All that would have been left outside of the couples' families and friends would have been a bunch of socialites wearing "the ugliest hats and fascinators ever seen" as Karl Lagerfeld correctly stated, in addition to the usual footballers and TV starlets. How suitable, how prestigious an event for a couple who will hopefully be King and Queen if all goes according to plan! :ohmy:

ALL of modern day Royalty is virtually in the same boat. They all need one another to some extent and that includes the Brits.

Well with the exception of Queen Ingrid of Denmark, her godmother, that was pretty much what happened at Princess Margarets wedding but the Abbey was still full and I don't think the British public were overly upset or really cared. What foreigners don't really get is that the British don't get too worked up about European royals and are rather thankful that the channel separates us from the continent.
You will recall perhaps that there was very little coverage of the foreign royals at William & Catherines wedding. They filled a few seats in the Abbey but the public (other than royal forum types) really didnt notice or care about them.

Despite what some in the Luxembourg media might have thought in the beginning the Cambridges were not needed or missed at the Guillaume/Stephanie wedding in October. It was magnificent and glamourous on every level.

Gee their absence was certainly noticed on this forum as posters filled pages bemoaning their absence.

Well with the exception of Queen Ingrid of Denmark, her godmother, that was pretty much what happened at Princess Margarets wedding but the Abbey was still full and I don't think the British public were overly upset or really cared. What foreigners don't really get is that the British don't get too worked up about European royals and are rather thankful that the channel separates us from the continent.
You will recall perhaps that there was very little coverage of the foreign royals at William & Catherines wedding. They filled a few seats in the Abbey but the public (other than royal forum types) really didnt notice or care about them.

True. They were more interested in Elton John and his husband, and the Beckhams. That cannot be denied. ;)

Still, my question is how would it have gone over at Clarence House or at Buckingham Palace behind closed doors if every Continental house had completely snubbed William's wedding? I know the public would not have given a hoot but nobody can convince me it would have gone unnoticed and that Charles and the Queen would not have cared a jot. And the ceremony itself would have looked decidedly THIRD RATE for someone as high in the line of Succession as William is.

Princess Margaret was not in line for the Throne when she married commoner Armstrong-Jones in 1960. Nobody really expected a big Royal turnout for that one anyway.

Last edited:
When Margaret married Tony she was 4th in the line of succession behind Charles, Andrew and Anne - definitely she was in the line for the Throne - as she was till the day she died.

I really don't think the BRF cares that much about the foreign royals at all.

It is also clear that the general public don't care about them - except in their own small spheres.

I have probably said this before but I remember the tour I did to Russia and Scandinavia some years ago. My Tour Director was Danish and the make up of the group were Americans, Canadians, a Spanish couple, two couples from Indonesia, one from Malaysia, some Aussies, some Kiwis, a Japanese gentleman and a family from South Africa. As we were travelling I noticed that the TD always referred to the 'King of xxx' or the 'Empress of yyyy' except when referring to The Queen when he always meant Elizabeth, never The Queen of Denmark. Even when in Denmark the local guide referred to The Queen of Denmark and her relationship to The Queen. That says a lot - The Queen is a term universally understood to mean The Queen of the UK' while other Queens need their name and/or country - even when in that Queen's domain amongst an international group such as outs. I did ask the TD about that and he said that from his experience of over 30 years as a Tour Guide around Europe everyone knows The Queen as Elizabeth but no one, outside of Denmark would use the term The Queen and mean Margrette. Most of the people on the tour didn't even know that the Scandinavians had a monarchy. This was before Mary married Fred but after the Sydney games and the Aussies were surprised to be told that the Crown Prince of Denmark was dating an Aussie girl as they didn't know Denmark had a CP.

Sometimes I think that people on these boards think that everyone else is as interested in the royals as we are here when in fact most people couldn't care less about them and don't care who turns up to events.

When Margaret married Tony she was 4th in the line of succession behind Charles, Andrew and Anne - definitely she was in the line for the Throne - as she was till the day she died.

Yes TECHNICALLY she was 4th - but in reality she was by then a sidekick - as the Queen had allready 3 Children - so it was already then highly unlikely that the throne would revert to her line - ever...

Same thing with the sisters of the Swedish King - and not far in the future same will happen to Victoria siblings ... even in Sweden they won't be important any longer - now Victoria started having kids; I quite sure she won't stop with one.

Whatever number she was she was still in the line of succession. To say otherwise is simply wrong and that was why I posted the information that I did.

And Lumutqueen is 100% correct..nobody could have stolen the bride's thunder even if they'd tried.

Let me tell you, the common people in Britain, and even all over the world dont give a damn if any of the foreign royals attended William's wedding or not.They would have celebrated and enjoyed it the way.Its only us royal watchers. They hardly focussed on the royals. But still no one made a big deal. This is not to undermine them or the grace they brought to the wedding, and the affection they showed for Queen and PoW by attending..

I wonder why Sophie looked so tacky at the Luxembourg wedding; she looked like she belonged at a daytime engagement, not a formal royal wedding. She was probably the only one who wasn't wearing a suit. She was wearing a white and black dress and a black fascinator.

It would be great to see William and Kate attending these events, and I believe they will in the near future

Well, when the Queen of Spain did not attend the diamond jubilee this was certainly noticed by the UK press. In fact she received far more attention than when she DID attend parts of the Cambridge wedding.

Well, when the Queen of Spain did not attend the diamond jubilee this was certainly noticed by the UK press. In fact she received far more attention than when she DID attend parts of the Cambridge wedding.
you are right:flowers:

I wonder why Sophie looked so tacky at the Luxembourg wedding; she looked like she belonged at a daytime engagement, not a formal royal wedding. She was probably the only one who wasn't wearing a suit. She was wearing a white and black dress and a black fascinator.

What's that got to do with this thread?

Yes but the reason her absence was noted at all was because it was at the instruction of the Spanish government due to a fishing dispute at Gibraltar and the upcoming visit of the Earl and Countess of Wessex to the Rock. Spanish-Gibraltar disputes always make the news in the UK, rather like the Argentinians and their claims to the Falklands. Had Sofia stayed home of her own choice it would have just been a minor note barely commented on outside of these forums where people likely would have attributed it to her own marital problems.

I don't remember any of the continental royals going to Charles and Camilla's wedding

The only reason the British press notice Queen Sofia absense was because of Argentina calling the UK the conquistador of the Falkans and Spain not waiting Sofia to go. If Sofia didn't go for without these events surrounding it, the British press wouldn't have remember her name or what she looks like

Last edited:
I don't remember any of the continental royals going to Charles and Camilla's wedding.
The wedding of Prince Charles and Camilla was a very small, non-state event and a relatively small number of people were present.
Nevertheless, some foreign royals did attend, including Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit, Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien, Crown Prince Alexander II and Crown Princess Katharine, King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie, Crown Princess Margarita and Prince Radu, and others.

The only reason the British press notice Queen Sofia absense was because of Argentina calling the UK the conquistador of the Falkans and Spain not waiting Sofia to go. If Sofia didn't go for without these events surrounding it, the British press wouldn't have remember her name or what she looks like
Queen Sofia's decision not to go had little to do with Falklands (that dispute is with Argentine, not Spain); her absence was reportedly a protest over an upcoming tour to Gibraltar (which is a British Overseas Territory that Spain has dubious claims on) by the Earl and Countess of Wessex.

Last edited:
............ I really don't think the BRF cares that much about the foreign royals at all.

It is also clear that the general public don't care about them - except in their own small spheres.....................

I think the priority for the BRF regarding foreign royalty is the same priority it gives to itself.

All Monarchs take priority and I think generally the public know that there is a King of Norway and a Queen of the Netherlands - that harks back to WWII. This priority is given by HMQ, and when she invites to attend a function and they come, she literally puts out the red carpet.

Next comes the heirs to the throne - and HMQ gives this responsibility to Charles and Camilla. The public probably assume there are heirs but thats it. Until there is a newscast that says XXX monarch has died and XXX has succeeded to the throne, then they wont think about it.

Unless of course there is a political issue such as the sovereignty of Gibraltar. But its the politicans who get the blame, not the Spanish royal family.

After that, I dont think HMQ worries. And neither, IMO, do the other royal families. Its only on sites like this that an issue is created.

William is the heir to the heir - so in Sweden that's Estelle: interesting conversation there - gaaa-goo-goo:baby:!

Queen Sofia's decision not to go had little to do with Falklands (that dispute is with Argentine, not Spain); her absence was reportedly a protest over an upcoming tour to Gibraltar (which is a British Overseas Territory that Spain has dubious claims on) by the Earl and Countess of Wessex.

You're right

Have the continental royals gone to Middle Eastern and Asian royals weddings?

Have the continental royals gone to Middle Eastern and Asian royals weddings?

Yes. Felipe and Letizia of Spain attended Hamzah of Jordan's wedding in 2004 a week after they celebrated their own wedding...

Back
Top Bottom