Hairstyles of Royal Brides

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Madeleine's hair was really lovely from all angles not just the front.

Madeleine's hair was beautifully done. Very lovely and elegant.

Here is my new list for best wedding day hair:

1)Princess Madeleine
2)Infanta Cristina
3)Princess Marie of Denmark
4)HRH Diana Duchess de Cadaval
5)Queen Anne-Marie of Greece

Here are some great articles:

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday (on a Tuesday): Royal Bridal Updos, Part 1

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday (on a Thursday): Royal Bridal Updos, Part 2

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: Brides with Flowing Locks

My favorites:

1. Infanta Cristina
2. Princess Madeleine
3. HGD Stephanie
4. Princess Grace
5. Queen Maxima
6. Queen Mathilde
7. Crown Princess Victoria
8. Lady Rose Gilman
9. Crown Princess Mette-Marit
10. Princess Charlene

My worst:

1. Duchess Mathilde of Württemberg
2. Duchess Fleur of Württemberg
3. Princess Victoria of Bourbon-Two Sicilies
4. Princess Diane of France, Duchess of Württemberg
5. Princess Clotilde d'Orléans
6. Isabel, Duchess of Braganza
7. Countess Alexandra (both weddings)
8. Serena, Viscountess Linley
9. Princess Margriet of the Netherlands
10. Queen Rania
11. Princess Anne
12. Princess Michael
13. Princess Caroline (first wedding)
14. Sarah, Duchess of York
15. Crown Princess Mary
16. Queen Anne-Marie
17. Queen Noor
18. Princess Tessy
19. Sophie Winkleman
20. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge

Last edited:
I loved the idea behind HGD Stephanie's wedding day hair...like everything else about her that day it was exquisite.

But I didn't put her on my Best Hair list because in some photos I could see hairpins. :ohmy:

But her civil wedding ceremony hair was to die for, it looked like Rapunzel!:whistling:

WORST:

1. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge
  2. Letizia of Spain
  3. CP Mary of Denmark
  4. Sarah, Duchess of York
  5. Caroline of Monaco(1978 wedding to Philippe Junot)

The worst thing about it is that each one of those women has absolutely beautiful hair. That's what made their wedding day hair even more disappointing/unflattering.:bang:

But I agree about Madeleine's hair. It was perfection.

Worst of the "contemporary" royal brides IMO: Letizia! It simply was unflettaring to her! Best one: Madeleine and Mette-Marit. Simple but chic.

It is often hard to tell what the hairstyle was: usually the veil covers the hair. On this picture Princess Máxima steps out the Rolls Royal Landaulette which brought her to the religious service. It shows something more from her hair.

:flowers:

The worst of ladies in more senior royal positions were Lady Diana Spencer and Ms Sarah Ferguson. Both just had their usual daily housewifey's hairdoes with a diadem plus veil planted on it. Nothing special to their hair.

In the case of Lady Diana the ugly velvet wrapping around the base of her diadem looked like no any effort, fantasy, ingenuity was used. Jus whack it on her head and it is okay....

:ermm:

Ingenious ways to hide the base are, for an example, the use of braids, look at this example, only visible thanks to a camera above.

In the case of Ms Sarah Ferguson, a lovely bride by the way, it lacked the sophistication I usually associate with royal brides. It was just her lush messy red hairdo with a diadem and veil whacked on top of it. See picture. Again no any special effort seemed to have been done.

:ermm:

That British ladies can have ingenious hairdoes as well is proven by the Hon. Serena Stanhope on her wedding to Lord David Armstrong-Jones, Viscount Linley. It lifted her above an everyday appearance. Lady Serena, Viscountess Linley, again showed that a diadem needs a special hairdo, when she wore a wooden diadem carved by her spouse: see picture.

Marie-Christine Freiin von Reibnitz wore no veil on her wedding to Prince Michael but showed an immaculate, sophisticated hairdo. She knows what hair can do.

Letizia's hair looked like it had not even been washed. It's a harsh statement given the drenching rain that she had to contend with, which probably made her hair go limp. Most of it was hidden under her veil, but what little was visible was underwhelming. Letizia was, and is, in my opinion, the most naturally beautiful woman to marry into any of the Royal Houses since Diana Spencer. I had high hopes for her as a bride, but I could not have been more disappointed.

Same for Lady Diana Spencer. Until Letizia years later, she was the most naturally beautiful Royal fiancée in years. But her hair was a right mess for the ceremony. The fringe looked plastered to her forehead and it looked greasy, as if too much product had been applied. After she left Buckingham Palace to begin her honeymoon journey her hair looked perfect. Very frustrating.

I concur 100% with Duc's statement on Sarah Ferguson. Overall she was a splendid bride with one of the most beautiful gowns ever, far more successful than Diana's imo. But those red ringlets seemed more suited to a pastoral milkmaid than a newly minted Royal Duchess. I was very disappointed.

Catherine Middleton's hair is her best feature, along with her legs. But her half-curled, half-limp wedding day hair was a disaster. The idea of an up/down was great on paper. But with her veil and tiara very little of the up/down was evident. All I saw was limp curls. On the day of the announcement of her engagement her hair looked flawless, as it has on several occasions since the wedding. Kate had the potential to have a Madeleine of Sweden pitch perfect bridal hairstyle...but she did not.

Last edited:
[...] Letizia was, and is, in my opinion, the most naturally beautiful woman to marry into any of the Royal Houses since Diana Spencer. [....]

Eeeerrrhhhh.... you know about the rumours...???

;) ;) ;)

To me the most naturally beautiful lady was the stunningly nordic beauty of Ms Mette-Marit Tjessem Høiby... What a classic, sculpturesque face she had (and still has)...

Last edited:
If you mean what I think by "rumors" yes, I do. And even though Queen Letizia is still a lovely woman, I think she was much more beautiful BEFORE she made certain....adjustments to her appearance.:cool:

In other words she had natural beauty.

Mette-Marit's complexion and bone structure are a marvel.

Last edited:
That British ladies can have ingenious hairdoes as well is proven by the Hon. Serena Stanhope on her wedding to Lord David Armstrong-Jones, Viscount Linley. It lifted her above an everyday appearance. Lady Serena, Viscountess Linley, again showed that a diadem needs a special hairdo, when she wore a wooden diadem carved by her spouse: see picture.

That hairstyle reminds me of those infamous beehive hairdos that were so ubiquitous in old movies ...they always look so unnatural when you see them today. (Like Catherine Deneuve In The Umbrellas of Cherbourg after she married the rich man...like her hair is glued into place! Awful).

Letizia's hair looked like it had not even been washed. It's a harsh statement given the drenching rain that she had to contend with, which probably made her hair go limp. Most of it was hidden under her veil, but what little was visible was underwhelming. Letizia was, and is, in my opinion, the most naturally beautiful woman to marry into any of the Royal Houses since Diana Spencer. I had high hopes for her as a bride, but I could not have been more disappointed.

Same for Lady Diana Spencer. Until Letizia years later, she was the most naturally beautiful Royal fiancée in years. But her hair was a right mess for the ceremony. The fringe looked plastered to her forehead and it looked greasy, as if too much product had been applied. After she left Buckingham Palace to begin her honeymoon journey her hair looked perfect. Very frustrating.

I concur 100% with Duc's statement on Sarah Ferguson. Overall she was a splendid bride with one of the most beautiful gowns ever, far more successful than Diana's imo. But those red ringlets seemed more suited to a pastoral milkmaid than a newly minted Royal Duchess. I was very disappointed.

Catherine Middleton's hair is her best feature, along with her legs. But her half-curled, half-limp wedding day hair was a disaster. The idea of an up/down was great on paper. But with her veil and tiara very little of the up/down was evident. All I saw was limp curls. On the day of the announcement of her engagement her hair looked flawless, as it has on several occasions since the wedding. Kate had the potential to have a Madeleine of Sweden pitch perfect bridal hairstyle...but she did not.

So true, Moonmaiden. Catherine's hair was a disaster. In my opinion her hair style or lack thereof turned a very royal wedding into a suburban one. I can only hope she has changed hair stylists.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

That hairstyle reminds me of those infamous beehive hairdos that were so ubiquitous in old movies ...they always look so unnatural when you see them today. (Like Catherine Deneuve In The Umbrellas of Cherbourg after she married the rich man...like her hair is glued into place! Awful).

But she was the Hon. Serena Stanhope, daughter of the current 12th Earl of Harrington and Lady Eileen of the Baronets Grey. She was going to marry Lord David Armstrong-Jones, Viscount Linley. In the presence of the absolute high society and the who-is-who. Everything, the stunning surroundings of the House of Commons' parish church in Westminster, the bride's appearance, the classic dress with a "prudent" overcoat, the fantastic jewels and the elaborate hairdo showed Serena as a statuesque bride in a classic British wedding.

Of course she will not have that hairdo when wearing marigolds and washing the Wedgwood china.

:lol:

Pic: Hon. Serena Stanhope with her father Lord Charles Stanhope, then Viscount Petersham

Pic: Viscountess Linley with a "Downton Abbey"-vibe next to Prince Michael of Kent, her current hairdo is flat: http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/303694/slide_303694_2583329_original.jpg

Last edited:
I actually liked Catherine's hair. I thought it look lovely with her dress. Although I do think an updo probably would have worked better.

My favorite hairstyles would have to be Madeleine, Princess Grace and Mette-Marit.

My least favorite - Princess Anne (1st wedding), Princess Caroline (1st wedding) and Queen Beatrix.

Serena Stanhope's hairdo was unfortunate. It looks so hard and unnatural and I think it takes away from the beautiful tiara.

Serena Stanhope's hairdo was unfortunate. It looks so hard and unnatural and I think it takes away from the beautiful tiara.

Exactly!

I liked Kate's hair as well. It suited the rather small tiara, although I think an updo would have worked too.

But was Princess Beatrix not just sporting a 1960's hairdo which was common back then?

Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands (what a magnificent diadem...)

Princess Sophia of Greece and Denmark

Princess Anne-Marie of Denmark

Princess Irene of the Netherlands

all with similar hairstyles...

And I dislike them all :lol: Well not really. Sophia's isn't so bad because it's short and I think Anne-Marie's is actually nice. To me it looks a little softer than Beatrix's. Plus I think the tiara and veil actually compliment her hair.

Beatrix's hair reminds me of a helmet and just doesn't seems to fit with her tirara. As for Irene, I would add her to my worst list. That hairstyle is really unflattering.

Last edited:
But she was the Hon. Serena Stanhope, daughter of the current 12th Earl of Harrington and Lady Eileen of the Baronets Grey. She was going to marry Lord David Armstrong-Jones, Viscount Linley. In the presence of the absolute high society and the who-is-who. Everything, the stunning surroundings of the House of Commons' parish church in Westminster, the bride's appearance, the classic dress with a "prudent" overcoat, the fantastic jewels and the elaborate hairdo showed Serena as a statuesque bride in a classic British wedding.

Of course she will not have that hairdo when wearing marigolds and washing the Wedgwood china.

Pic: Hon. Serena Stanhope with her father Lord Charles Stanhope, then Viscount Petersham

Pic: Viscountess Linley with a "Downton Abbey"-vibe next to Prince Michael of Kent, her current hairdo is flat: http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/303694/slide_303694_2583329_original.jpg

Wasn't her updo meant for another (bigger) tiara which broke just before the wedding and she had to "make do" with this lower one?

The ladies with the unlucky hairstyles at least had stunning carat-power in awesomely royal diadems. Princess Beatrix wore the Württemberg Ornate Pearls and Diamonds Diadem. Her sister Princess Irene even wore a diadem with huge diamonds inherited from the Duchesse d'Angoulême (Marie-Thérèse de France, the only surviving child of the guillotined Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette). Those blinding sparklers compensate every 1960's style hairdo...

Wasn't her updo meant for another (bigger) tiara which broke just before the wedding and she had to "make do" with this lower one?

Yes, it was expected the Hon. Serena Stanhope would wear her future mother-in-law's Poltimore Diadem. Her wedding-updo was very similar to Princess Margaret. Even her dress had similarities. We don't know, it is all (fun) speculating.

I don't know what you guys are talking about-Catherine's hair looked amazing, and it was very much modern and *her*, which IMO is the most important because it's your wedding, not a set at the Copa.

Gosh, Anne-Marie was so young. Only 18 years old on her wedding day..a virtual child bride! But her soft bouffant hairstyle was elegant and perfect.

I tell you the truth to the royal brides i noticed more the dresses and the tiaras of course. Very shame i think because some hairstyles is fantastic.

Totally agree Kate big disappointed :sad: They are watching you all the world and you are doing herself? No way:)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you mean what I think by "rumors" yes, I do. And even though Queen Letizia is still a lovely woman, I think she was much more beautiful BEFORE she made certain....adjustments to her appearance.:cool:

In other words she had natural beauty.

Mette-Marit's complexion and bone structure are a marvel.
She did indeed have natural beauty but she was drowned by her hair, veil and gown. I think she must have lost weight.

So true, Moonmaiden. Catherine's hair was a disaster. In my opinion her hair style or lack thereof turned a very royal wedding into a suburban one. I can only hope she has changed hair stylists.
Exactly!

I liked Kate's hair as well. It suited the rather small tiara, although I think an updo would have worked too.
I was very disappointed with Catherine's hair, the half up half down was never going to work. The 'down' sausage curls were pulled almost straight by the weight and volume of her hair and the density and weight of the veil was not chosen to work with either her hair or the tiara.

On the way up the aisle, we could see curls hanging down at the back but the hairstyle itself and the tiara were rendered all but invisible the heaviness opaqueness of the veil's blusher. Nevertheless, it is the only shot where we can clearly see the shape of the tiara against a darker background. After a long ceremony when she came back down the aisle, the extra layer of the blusher pretty much obscured and flattened the half updo and the white bump behind the tiara made it almost invisible.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...BGfxDO21eaTP6tv6lRSXCRvIR_r_Wx90L358675-ssmrH

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...Iihz5ywC0JemJt8fF3tjh_BawGh8KK0Q1BudA7B-rgDu8

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...23ePDKuw0MMkOnPyv10AH1y6AcF-z-lUJgvHJTNAMF9Cg

But, regardless of the hindsight thing like density of veils and curls that fell out, the bottom line was we saw the same hair style she wears to tescos. Nothing special at all.

Sarah, for all her riot of red curls did much better with her hair down.

The problem with Kate's hair is she did it herself, a professional probably could have done the look better, same with her makeup.

Like Princess Margaret and later her daughter-in-law the Hon. Serena Stanhope, also Princess Margriet of the Netherlands opted for a "bird's nest" high on the head with a beautiful diadem around. A succesful hairstyle for a royal bride, if you ask me.

Picture

Back
Top Bottom